GOOD Godzilla-related games?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: GOOD Godzilla-related games?

Post by Goji »

I'm sorry, but GDAMM is *NOT* better than G:STE by an stretch of the imagination. All it has going for it is a slightly better frame rate, the replays (which are awesome, but have nothing to do with actual gameplay), and..that's it.

G:STE has a much more refined combat/juggle system, more playable characters, more stages, better graphics, and (had) online play. The biggest downside was being forced to play the mini games during Adventure/Action mode, which dragged out the play session. Other than that, it's quite easily the best 3D Godzilla game ever, and the best Godzilla fighter out there, hands down.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Goji wrote:I'm sorry, but GDAMM is *NOT* better than G:STE by an stretch of the imagination. All it has going for it is a slightly better frame rate, the replays (which are awesome, but have nothing to do with actual gameplay), and..that's it.

G:STE has a much more refined combat/juggle system, more playable characters, more stages, better graphics, and (had) online play. The biggest downside was being forced to play the mini games during Adventure/Action mode, which dragged out the play session. Other than that, it's quite easily the best 3D Godzilla game ever, and the best Godzilla fighter out there, hands down.
Huh, thought I was the only person who really liked STE more than DAMM.
Basically word by word of my view on STE and DAMM.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

DAMM had a fairly abused knockdown system. Knock down Godzilla, run up next to him (even if he rolls away), and block his getup attack. As soon as the attack is past, grab him. He has NO chance of ever doing anything again. This doesn't work perfectly against all monsters, but it's a way to pretty much cheese your way through 90% of the game.

The unblockable getup attacks in G:StE fix this. And while they create their own smaller problems (mostly as Anguirus or Orga) it's MUCH better than DAMM.

This has nothing to do with the graphics, city layout, audio, etc. But I just can't see my way past the gameplay issues in DAMM.

ahanababy13
Young Farmer

Post by ahanababy13 »

Godzilla: Monster of Monsters!
Godzilla Game Boy
Godzilla Monster Wars
Godzilla the Series
Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee

These games are related to GodZilla Games. If you like to play online games then CLICK HERE

GojiraMasutāRēsu
Ronin

Post by GojiraMasutāRēsu »

I would recommend the newest Godzilla games, Godzilla for the PS3/PS4 or Daikaiju Battle Royale, a free indie game for the PC. They're both pretty solid. Daikaiju is a 2D fighter that is pretty fun if you're a Godzilla fan. Godzilla PS3/PS4 is sort of a Godzilla Simulator because it revolves around destroying cities, much like Generations.

If you don't want to play those, the Atari fighter trilogy is okay and Generations is good if dated.
Kiss you guys!
~SSS9

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Few and fare between.

Godzilla has had some good games, but he desperately needs a GREAT game, much like how Asylum broke the cycle for Batman.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Monster of Monsters is till my all time favorite. I just have a lot of nostalgia for that game, constantly renting it from the video store as a kid. I also think Im one of the very few that actually really likes Super Godzilla.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Monster of Monsters is till my all time favorite. I just have a lot of nostalgia for that game, constantly renting it from the video store as a kid. I also think Im one of the very few that actually really likes Super Godzilla.
I like Super Godzilla story wise and presentation wise. I just wish that they didn't choose that game to try a new game mechanic that as far as I know hasn't been seen before or since. Actually a lot of kaiju games suffer that, for some reason they are the testing ground for new gameplay mechanics that more often than not never catch on.

I mean it had plot twists, How often can you say that about a Godzilla game? If someone was to try it for the first time, I would tell them to avoid reading the monster bios in the instructional book's back because of spoilers, and just read on how to play it.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

You will never find a Godzilla game that magically transcends the boundary as to a genuinely good licensed game. The Batman: Arkham series and South Park: The Stick of Truth are diamonds in the rough - licensed games almost never break that barrier, and most of them should probably be appreciated for what they are. Licenses are a hazard for game development.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

True but I thought King Kong was a decent game. It had great atmosphere at least.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

King Kong was a GREAT game. I'm hoping that City Shrouded in Darkness captures that game's feeling if it does come out.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Sorry Strange, but none of the Pipework games were really good. :/
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

King Kong 2005 and G:STE are my all time favorite kaiju games. Im actually considering to get a job at a video game company and somehow persuade them to develope a godzilla game. I have tons of ideas for an awesome game. A guy can dream cant he?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:True but I thought King Kong was a decent game. It had great atmosphere at least.
Ah, I loved the King Kong game when I was younger absolutely loved it.

I should try and re-play it.
Godzilla

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Sorry Strange, but none of the Pipework games were really good. :/
I don't know what's worse, the fact that you're directing this comment at him, or the fact that you said it at all.

The first two Pipeworks games were and ARE, excellent, but there's never satisfying some of you. Some give these games flack because "They weren't movie accurate", then when one comes along in 2015, "it sucks".

To your average fan, it seems there are NO "good" Godzilla games, because some of you have impossible standards for quality.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Goji wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Sorry Strange, but none of the Pipework games were really good. :/
I don't know what's worse, the fact that you're directing this comment at him, or the fact that you said it at all.

The first two Pipeworks games were and ARE, excellent, but there's never satisfying some of you. Some give these games flack because "They weren't movie accurate", then when one comes along in 2015, "it sucks".

To your average fan, it seems there are NO "good" Godzilla games, because some of you have impossible standards for quality.
We really are a ungrateful and unappeasable fandom aren't we?

No instead the only way to make a GOOD Godzilla game apparently is to include every monster in the series not just Godzilla but every series it's the only way man!

Everything else is garbage fire.
Godzilla

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Goji wrote:

They don't feel like Godzilla games at all. Sorry for having an opinion. :roll: And don't get me started on how shit the Wii one was because PS3 babies couldn't live with out Godzilla for one generation.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

LamangoKaijura wrote:They don't feel like Godzilla games at all.
And how can one break down the "Feel" of a Godzilla product is there a set tone higher than the others? or is there some master rule? compared to 1973's Godzilla Vs. Megalon does "Gojira" feel like a Godzilla movie and like wise for the other? compared to Godzilla Vs. Hedorah does Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster feel like a Godzilla movie?

There is no set feel or tone or master rule for a Godzilla picture. Godzilla can be almost anything because the character is so flexible he can be turned into anything from a super hero to a walking nuclear bomb, all the Pipeworks series did was take the fun light hearted nature of the 72-73 entries and combine them with the public misconception of Godzilla films being over the top camp fests and go from there. I mean the intro for DAM:M makes the joke crystal clear.
Sorry for having an opinion.
A opinion is absolutely fine to consider any opinion that goes against the grain to be WRANONG is stupid. but the problem is you actually have to have a reason for why you dislike something for example I have reasons for why I greatly dislike Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah despite the entry being rather well liked as I've found. to simply consider the Pipework entries to be "Horribad" simply because they didn't feel like "Godzilla Movies" to you is not much of a valid criticism when considering the smooth game mechanics, good controls and nice animations among other things especially when the feel of a Godzilla production is far from anything set in stone.

Would Heisei Godzilla be anywhere as fun to play if he was like his film incarnation and could barely extend his arms further than his chest?
Godzilla

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Well, one feel for Godzilla is, he shouldn't jump like he's on the fucking moon every time you jump. Hell, Jumping alone is pretty stupid for the 2000 Godzilla they claim is in the game.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Well, one feel for Godzilla is, he shouldn't jump like he's on the skreeonking moon every time you jump. Hell, Jumping alone is pretty stupid for the 2000 Godzilla they claim is in the game.
Well, we're talking about the same creature who flew, did a flying kick, and (since we're talking about Godzilla 2000) did a body slam.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.