New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
matrix
Monsterland Worker

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by matrix »

Really? Never happend to me, anyways, it should take less button only attack to stun cause they are weak.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I used the combos, because If I am not mistaken there were some moves that could only be executed that way.

I also liked the lack of a run button in G:U, just having the running/walking being pressure sensitive. Also bring back rush from G:U.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

I don't remember if Unleashed had this, but one of the few things I liked about StE was the ability to juggle opponents.

Though I think I'm in the minority when I say StE was the worst of the three games...? Looks like people have grown to love it. To me it felt like most matches consisted of blocking, and trying to hit opponents with get-up attacks. :V

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Greyshot151 »

Fiender, more than 8 submissions. Min of 20!
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

Mr. Strange wrote: Certainly, it could be handled badly. I think the LEGO parallel is the best one - Batman doesn't object to getting a LEGO treatment, even though it means you can do Batman vs. Star Wars. People understand that the interchangeable-nature of LEGO is a bit part of the appeal. Similarly, I think I can write a contract which makes it clear to everyone that an ever-expanding platform offer more growth than a one-time game release.

Let's say release 1 is a Godzilla game, and release 5 is a "make your own movie" feature mode (with no monsters). People will want to make Godzilla movies - so sales of release 5 will, probably, help drive additional sales of release 1. In fact, EVERY release will probably drive some additional sales of release 1. That means more money, over a longer period of time.

If TOHO insisted that their content not be compatible with the broader platform, we'd get sales of release 1 for just a few weeks, and then they would trail off. This is a big win for everyone.
That sounds very promising. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical though. Not because I don't think it's possible, but more because I just always prefer to over-estimate the protective tendencies of companies when it comes to their IPs. Sometimes they do it to the extent that it's detrimental to profit making. For example, would it be far-fetched to imagine the aforementioned create-a-movie mode featuring Godzilla vs. Gamera, but daiei says "we don't want to see any promotional material featuring Gamera being attacked by, or otherwise looking inferior to, any Toho-related character"
Mr. Strange wrote: Here's a controls question - did anyone ever use the button-only combos? Things like A,B,X? Or did everyone just dis (dir)+Button all the time, and win the game with single-hits?
I used a combination of the two. For STE online, I used mecha-king ghidorah exclusively. some times i would use the strike combos but as the opponent was falling i would use one of the single-hit attacks since it usually had the desired range.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Mr. Strange wrote:Here's a controls question - did anyone ever use the button-only combos? Things like A,B,X? Or did everyone just dis (dir)+Button all the time, and win the game with single-hits?
If I use combos intentionally, it's only the most basic ones (a-a-a, a-a-b, stuff like that). I'm more about finding a great move or two (usually a [dir]+button attack) with each monster and finding openings to administer said killer moves: (in DAMM at least) Godzilla '90s was a terror with his jumping tail-spin and charge forward headbutt/bite.
Haters gonna hate

Brianzilla2004
Samurai

Post by Brianzilla2004 »

Mr. Strange wrote:Here's a controls question - did anyone ever use the button-only combos? Things like A,B,X? Or did everyone just dis (dir)+Button all the time, and win the game with single-hits?
GSTE: As Godzilla 90's, I primarily used heavy attacks, but I also used the A, A, A and B, B, B combos. With MOGUERA 2 I used almost exclusively heavy attacks. As Space Godzilla, I used heavy attacks only.

GU: I swung the Wii remote as I pressed A+B. Over and over. With every monster. And I won. On Hard. Kind of strange when I can play as Varan and Biollante the same way and almost always win. I REALLY hope the next game doesn't play anything like this...

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Yeah, I want the game to feel less like work to KO an opponent. I felt like the match took FOREVER in GU and the fighting was not compelling, it worked well enough. It was just boring.
When I play SFxTK the reason I want to fight other than KOing my opponent is to build meter and pull off an awesome move. In GU you had 5 health bars to deplete and it took a while.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Sorry Mr. Strange, I saw you said on a other topic that you could fit more monsters in if it had less stuff in the game, here are some things that people may not like, the, earth defender, mutant, alian, and gdf ranking in story, from G:U. Different factions are just ok, I wouldnt mind if you guys took them out. I am most likely forgeting some, ill tell you them later.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Yeah, the factions were a neat idea, but I feel like they (and the single-player story mode) would need to be a lot more fleshed out to really be worth it. Cool idea, and a worthwhile experiment, but I'd say scrap it for this game.
Haters gonna hate

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

hammysammy59 wrote:Yeah, the factions were a neat idea, but I feel like they (and the single-player story mode) would need to be a lot more fleshed out to really be worth it. Cool idea, and a worthwhile experiment, but I'd say scrap it for this game.
Agreed. It really could've been better. There were only two paths: your monster's assigned faction, or tyrant. I tried to align myself with the Earth Defenders as an alien, but when I completed the campaign, I received the alien ending.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

The faction concept did provide SOME extra replay value, but it was all kind of self-imposed. "Megalon aligning with the GDF. How novel!" Aside from making all the cutscenes, it seems like it would be rather easy to implement, but I wouldn't mind if it was gone. Besides, I don't play these games for the story, lol.

I really enjoyed DAMM's single-player for some reason. Just trying to beat it as fast as possible to get the best score and all. Which was another reason I found StE so annoying since it had those aggravating challenges that GOT IN MY WAY.

Oh, and survival was great in DAMM too. It didn't END like in StE, right?

I think Stange mentioned a "Make your own film" mode last night, which made me think one of the original monsters should be your standard-shaped monster, only with a camera for a head with film reels as its spines, lol. Position the monster to position your camera, etc. Click of a button and you go to an FPS view.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

I will call him Camorah.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Chris55 wrote:
Oasis_S wrote:

I think Stange mentioned a "Make your own film" mode last night, which made me think one of the original monsters should be your standard-shaped monster, only with a camera for a head with film reels as its spines, lol. Position the monster to position your camera, etc. Click of a button and you go to an FPS view.
I've been pushing for theater mode since day 1. It all depends on how much we earn in donations though. Who wouldn't like to make their own monster/Godzilla films? Imagine this: No more "trailers" with Linkin Park slapped over em on YouTube! :)
I'd rather have those then have little kids making crappy Godzilla videos :P
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Oasis S wrote: I don't remember if Unleashed had this, but one of the few things I liked about StE was the ability to juggle opponents.
Agreed, I absolutely loved that about STE. G:U sort of had it..but juggles worked very differently. The biggest issue was that several of the monsters didn't have launchers, while others didn't. While STE was like this, it seemed that a lot of the monsters from the older games suddenly didn't have their launchers actually launch their opponents anymore.
Though I think I'm in the minority when I say StE was the worst of the three games...? Looks like people have grown to love it. To me it felt like most matches consisted of blocking, and trying to hit opponents with get-up attacks. :V
..I don't think it was that way at all. Yes, wake-up attacks were now invincible, but that had to be done for the sake of balance, otherwise you could be hit by your opponent repeatedly while grounded, without them suffering any consequences. This was a pretty big problem in G:DAMM.

Most of these wake-up moves could be jumped over and avoided, especially the ones that hit low (All three Godzilla's). Some monsters had one's that hit high (Destoroyah, King Ghidorah), or mid (Orga, King Ghidorah), and the way to avoid them was to simply jump backwards.

Brianzilla2004 wrote: GU: I swung the Wii remote as I pressed A+B. Over and over. With every monster. And I won. On Hard. Kind of strange when I can play as Varan and Biollante the same way and almost always win. I REALLY hope the next game doesn't play anything like this...
That's because the CPU on "Hard" in G:U is a frakkin' joke in comparison to STE. They hardly even block half the time.

Though believe me, this strategy would not work on a human opponent. You'd be out in round one if you tried this at one of the G-Fest tournaments.
Mr. Strange wrote:
Here's a controls question - did anyone ever use the button-only combos? Things like A,B,X? Or did everyone just dis (dir)+Button all the time, and win the game with single-hits?
Always used both. Here's an example of doing a combo with Jet which can only be done by following my opponent across the map, to continue the combo. (This is a match between a friend of mine from a couple of years ago). The combo happens between 0:26-0:31. I catch it again 8:09-8:13.

(Xbox control scheme) Drunken Monkey (B)+Press R trigger to "hop" far enough across the screen, Viper Jab (standing A), Viper Jab, Mongoose Strike (Forward+X).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh7eS1Qn ... ature=plcp (Sorry about the music, but it had to be added to drown out the sounds of us laughing hysterically at times; and no, that's not me talking at the end).

The timing is tricky for it, and it doesn't always work on heavier opponents who drop quickly (Destoroyah), nor does Jet's Drunken Monkey launch certain standing opponents (Orga, King Ghidorah). It may be possible to add more hits after the Mongoose Strike, since the opponent is juggled high again, but all I've been able to successfully land is an OTG (on the ground) Hyena Kick (away+X) . It doesn't do much damage, but it's an example of using unorthodox combos in the STE engine.

I would really like to see the juggle system from STE implemented in this new game. I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but STE had the best combo/juggle system out of all the three Pipeworks games, and that is just one of my several reasons I prefer it to the other two games.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

The fanny pack makes it. Rage attack: plays embarrassing home movies of your monster: Godzilla getting hit in the crotch by Minya swinging a whiffle bat, Ghidorah singing in the shower, and of course, a pimply, awkward teen Gigan getting way too excited over a super-dorky Christmas present.
Haters gonna hate

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Post by godzilla898 »

hammysammy59 wrote:The fanny pack makes it. Rage attack: plays embarrassing home movies of your monster: Godzilla getting hit in the crotch by Minya swinging a whiffle bat, Ghidorah singing in the shower, and of course, a pimply, awkward teen Gigan getting way too excited over a super-dorky Christmas present.
I will not be able to die until I see these.

Also while we're on throwing, one of my favorite stupid things about PS2 G:U was how monsters moved when you threw them. Which, is to say, completely vertically. With Kiryu's rocket-thruster elbow (O throw) and a few moves to follow up, you could launch a monster to the top of the arena.
I don't support the system every existing again, but it was fun in a silly, stupid way nonetheless.
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Mr. Strange I was wondering, are there any possibilities of involving Kiryu's drilling hand? Or would the animation of having kiryu's hand forming and spinning into a drill be a bit much? The drill itself could be a grab attack replacement for the plasma blade grab?

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Oh snap! I forgot, ive been a fan for years and dreamed of this, but I never told you! Ive kinda been craving a monster creator feature (though it might be a ton of money) just a simple creator would be so cool, here is a example of a creator, choose parts from monsters you have unlocked, choose stat points (with a limit to the amount of stat points you have) change color, and BLAM, a awesome creator, but that is just my dream, which almost never come to reality.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Blackout286 wrote:Mr. Strange I was wondering, are there any possibilities of involving Kiryu's drilling hand? Or would the animation of having kiryu's hand forming and spinning into a drill be a bit much? The drill itself could be a grab attack replacement for the plasma blade grab?
Seems like more work than it is worth. "Morphing" the hand would be really hard - but we could try to fake it, if folks were insistent. Certainly we could just spin the hand and put some fx and audio over it.