New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by Oasis_S »

This should be one of Obsidius's attacks.

Or a special team attack with Gabara. Yes.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Oasis_S »

Pretty sure a balanced game brings more enjoyment. The game needs to be fun before it's accurate. Let Kamacuras beat up King Ghidorah all day.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

W2daERN wrote:They should still be balanced in multiplayer... or should they? It was pointed out a while ago, I forget by who, that balancing doesn't help at all, actually makes things worse, if the skills of two human players are unbalanced. I think the actual quote was something like when playing against someone who is new to the game, "I could balance that by playing as Minya while he picks King Ghidorah."
I was flappin' my gums about that! I would love to see the accuracy of the monsters carry over to their stats. It would really change up the dynamic of the game, and would make team battles very interesting. In a game with movie-accurate stats, Godzilla vs a team of three Kamacurases, controlled by players of an approximate skill level, would be a fair fight. I love the idea of being able to stage battles like that, and it would provide a lot of fodder for an interesting and varied single-player campaign: especially if each monster has their own unique storyline. Godzilla could easily take on a pair of Gabaras on his own without even breaking a sweat... but for Minya, facing just one Gabara mano y mano would be final boss-worthy.

In my mind the biggest issue this brings up is less about balance, and more about good content getting its due. If they create a fun, original moveset for Kamacuras, would players still pick him up if his stats are significantly lower than Godzilla's? It would be a shame for good content to go unplayed because of accurate stats. But at the same time, it'd be really cool to stage SpaceGodzilla vs Godzilla and MOGUERA and have it be an even fight.

I'd love to have it both ways: monsters scaled/balanced to make any match-up winnable based on skill, AND an option to play with movie-accurate monsters. I could see that not being feasible though.
Last edited by hammysammy59 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haters gonna hate

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Chris55 wrote:
Godzillabrawler wrote: His beam could be getting on all fours and bursting lava out of the shoulder volcanoes on his body:
I like that idea :)
Thanks. I always thought that original monsters needed more attention. Also, Oasis, I think an electrical attack would be overkill. All we need is lava, ash, and pyroclastics or whatever the hell they're called to make Obsidious a beast.

I've always wondered whether or not we should consider the Trading Battle monsters. Same for MGR-IInd and SMG2. They ain't first-priority, but I think they should eventually appear in some form. Barugaron is my favorite, and I gave him this really cool backstory too.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

hammysammy59 wrote:
I'd love to have it both ways: monsters scaled/balanced to make any match-up winnable based on skill, AND an option to play with movie-accurate monsters. I could see that not being feasible though.
This is interesting. And while I wouldn't dismiss it as impossible off-hand, it seems to be at least "very hard."

However, it isn't hard because of "stats" - but rather the underlying systems which drive the fighting. For example grapples - can monsters grapple one another? If so, they all need a certain base set of conditions, animations, and controls. If those systems are set-up to support 3-on-1 grappling, they would be radically different (and probably not very fun) in 1-on-1 situations.

Consider G:U's beam fight system - which was horribly broken for multi-monster encounters. It worked pretty well in 1-on-1 battles though - because it was designed with 1-on-1 matches in mind.

What you are suggesting is not a "rebalancing" of monster stats - it is a focus on 1-on-many battles. That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it is something which could be supported without fundamentally breaking the 1-on-1 systems. But I could be wrong.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Vs. mode stats should be balenced, while in story it is like a movie, honestly I think titano is a bit faster than king ghidorah.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I'm not savvy to the technical side of things, so I could be spewing pure nonsense, but could certain actions be left "open-ended" to account for 1-on-1 and team battles?

That is, in a 1-on-1 fight, a monster's grapple will always work like X, but if certain conditions are met (more than 2 monsters in the arena+attempting to grapple a monster that another monster is grappling) the grapple can work like Y? X and Y being different sets of moves/behaviors/animations. I would LOVE to have a game where we can reenact some of the wild tag-team moves from the 70s Showa movies.
Haters gonna hate

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

hammysammy59 wrote:I'm not savvy to the technical side of things, so I could be spewing pure nonsense, but could certain actions be left "open-ended" to account for 1-on-1 and team battles?

That is, in a 1-on-1 fight, a monster's grapple will always work like X, but if certain conditions are met (more than 2 monsters in the arena+attempting to grapple a monster that another monster is grappling) the grapple can work like Y? X and Y being different sets of moves/behaviors/animations. I would LOVE to have a game where we can reenact some of the wild tag-team moves from the 70s Showa movies.
I strongly suspect we will not want to support tag-team moves. That would be a significant cost, and although the feature sounds fun, for the money I think we would do a lot better.

As a compromise, I think we could seriously consider giving 1 monster some sort of "grapple-assist" attack.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

@Godzillabrawler: Nonsense. Obsidius's rage move should just be a google image search for "lightning volcano," and a bunch of pictures just flash on the screen, causing damage to both the opponent's health and pride, for they know they can never be a part of something so awesome and manly.

HUUUARRRGH.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Post by matrix »

Tyler wrote:Kaiju Pro-Wrestling? :)
As Mr. Strange said, it's not wrestling.

Brianzilla2004
Samurai

Post by Brianzilla2004 »

Legionmaster wrote:Because then they'd be features, not cheats. :roll:
Gee, good point! If these games didn't exist:

* Duke Nukem Forever
* Fur Fighters
* LEGO Batman/Harry Potter/Indiana Jones/Star Wars

And those are just off the top of my head. You're clearly not a very smart or nice person. Perhaps you should just not talk.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Mr. Strange wrote:
hammysammy59 wrote:I'm not savvy to the technical side of things, so I could be spewing pure nonsense, but could certain actions be left "open-ended" to account for 1-on-1 and team battles?

I strongly suspect we will not want to support tag-team moves. That would be a significant cost, and although the feature sounds fun, for the money I think we would do a lot better.

As a compromise, I think we could seriously consider giving 1 monster some sort of "grapple-assist" attack.
I agree, team attacks, just ok, but I would rather see the money used for something else.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Godzilla: Destruction of Earth

That's the best one I can think for now.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Shadow
Futurian

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Post by Shadow »

If I had it my way, I would donate enough money that would put me in debt for two years.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Greyshot151 »

Okay got everyone above. If anyone has any changes please add them as a post after this or just a post in general it REALLY helps. Thank you :mrgreen:
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

SpanishBulldog63 wrote:MWF-Monster Wrestling Federation haha jk i know its not gonna be wrestling-based

Wait a sec, that sounds really familiar...
I think you're remembering the Kaiju Wrestling Federation, or KWF. It was basically Kaijuheadquarters' counterpart to the KWC, with more of a pro-wrestling style storyline.
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Who will be designing the character models from the game? Will it be the same artist that designed Krystalak and the monsters from Rampage?

In the Toho version of the game I would like to see arenas that come from the movies. Like the foggy area that G vs Biollante takes place in, or the beach where G vs MG 75 takes place, or the planet from Monster Zero. Battle Legends for TurboGrafx did an awesome job of making each level based on a movie.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Why not implement a boss with a really big life bar that stretches across the screen? Say, Desghidorah. After a long battle, you earn the right to use the character in melee and versus mode or whatever you decide to call it. That's if you guys but him in.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Supergeon wrote:Who will be designing the character models from the game? Will it be the same artist that designed Krystalak and the monsters from Rampage?

In the Toho version of the game I would like to see arenas that come from the movies. Like the foggy area that G vs Biollante takes place in, or the beach where G vs MG 75 takes place, or the planet from Monster Zero. Battle Legends for TurboGrafx did an awesome job of making each level based on a movie.
Matt Frank is the art director in charge of monsters. Actual models / animations will be handled by the same team that made models and animations for the past G games.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^I pretty much agree with this. Most people - probably including many monster fans - won't understand the term "kaiju", and might be warded off. That's not good.