New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by hammysammy59 »

Mr. Strange wrote:We don't know what the structure of the game will be at this point - will it be a story? Let's say it is, just for this thought-experiment. Would you want Bio-cards that:

1 - Describe the Toho biography of the monsters?
2 - Describe the relationships of the monsters within the game story?
3 - Give a list of film appearances? (Not a fictional bio, but a real bio for the fictional monster)
I'd like the cards to combine 1 and 3 for sure. I'm not against option 2, but how worthwhile it is will depend on how deep the story is. Considering that the game is being made to be modular, I was figuring story was going to be kind of light.

I agree with matrix, something along the lines of the character cards in Arkham City would be awesome: though those admittedly are more of a combination of 1 and 2, and (I think) just listing their debut comic to sorta-kinda fulfill option 3.
Haters gonna hate

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Goji wrote:
What's wrong with Keizer Ghidorah? Everyone hates him, and this way, we get a Godzilla monster, and we get to kick his ass. Its a win-win situation. I'm pretty sure that TK user Destoryer is the only one that cares about having him playable anyway.
Well actually, not everyone hates Keizer Ghidorah. There are more users then just Destoryer who cares and wants him playable. :)
In fact he's the fifth most wanted Millennium monster within Grayshot's Monster Tally thread, fourth being Monster X/Mothra (SOS and GFW), third being Gigan GFW, second being Zilla, and first being Kiryu. Top five right there. Hell, Tormentor even crafted out a moveset for the tyrant and it made the monster a more interesting character to play as. I'm sure there are still fans who dislike Keizer Ghidorah, but not everyone does.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Regarding a cutscene of MX transforming into Keizer Ghidorah, that would be actually pretty neat to see. Tho I'd prefer the battle with KG to be more cinematic like the duel with Skorge in the Hollow in Gears of War 2 or the battle with Shockwave in Transformers: DOTM. For example:

In Transformers DOTM, Shockwave will at times walk up to you and grab you by the head and level his blade at your neck. You need to tap the A button fast enough otherwise he impails you with his blade and kills you. Same deal in Gears 2 when you have the chainsaw duel with Skorge.

I doubt we're gonna have something like this with the funds we're most likely going to get, but it would be a cool idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M90WfSl_Eeg (6:13)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LHkiywF-M&ob=av3e
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I absolutely love the idea of playable Monster X, but Keizer Ghidorah I could take or leave. There are several cooler Ghidorahs I'd rather have.
Haters gonna hate

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

hammysammy59 wrote:I absolutely love the idea of playable Monster X, but Keizer Ghidorah I could take or leave. There are several cooler Ghidorahs I'd rather have.
Like Desghidorah...
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

What about different bosses for different monsters and then their would be a little sentence to set up the battle.

Godzilla: Main Bad Guy: Godzilla the hero takes on the main threat to the earth.

Mothra: King Ghidorah: With Godzilla buzy Mothra most protect the planet againts the King of Terror.

Rodan: SpaceGodzilla: Rodan was able to equal Godzilla in their encounter who will he fair against SpaceGodzilla.

Angurius: MechaGodzilla: Angurius has encountered the doppelganger of his most trusted Allie can the monster survive against this mechanical terror?

Baragon:Giara: Baragon lost to the father of this terrible beast in the past but now it is up to him to stand against this mighty Gargantua

Fire Rodan: Megaguriurs: Fearing for the life of her children the queen of the meganula takes on the ultimate predator.
These are some examples of different final bosses.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by W2daERN »

Gezora:

A: strikes tentacle forward
B: slaps with tentacle

A + up: flings two long tentacles into the air and slaps them downward
A + down: slaps upward, then downward with long tentacles
A + right: wide swipe with right tentacle
A + left: wide swipe with left tentacle

B + up: slams head forward
B + down: leans head backward, then slams his face downward to the ground
B + right: leans head back and to the right, then slaps opponent with it
B + left: leans head back and to the left, then slaps opponent with it

AB + up: plants two long tentacles on the ground, lifts body up, and slams it down on opponent
AB + down: sticks two long tentacles to the ground, leans backward, and slingshots into opponent
AB + right: lowers to the ground, spreads out tentacles, and spins, hitting opponent with all tentacles
AB + left: jumps several times while spinning, hitting opponent with only long tentacles

Throw: wraps opponent in tentacles, freezing it, then throws it into the air and slaps with both long tentacles, one at a time (like Biollante's throw in GU). when the opponent hits the ground, it breaks out of the ice.
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:???

Why would Godzilla fight Godzilla? Wouldn't it make more sense for the final boss for Godzilla to be, you know, King Ghidorah, his arch-nemesis?
Godzilla doesn't fight Godzilla he fights the main villain of the game depending on who it is. If it's Ghidorah he and Mothra could work together.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Goji wrote:
Speaking of CAMEOS, it'd be neat if Monster Island had cameos of "lesser" monsters sitting on the sidelines watching the battle. It would set it apart from the other environments. I... would think it'd be fairly simple if one of those particular monsters were playable, and used on Monster Island, then they wouldn't appear on the sidelines?

Y'know, have Varan flying around, Baragon digging a hole, Gorosaurus watching the battle cheering you on with roars, Manda swimming around... OH! Stage Hazard: Ebirah pops out of the water and tosses a rock at someone.
This sounds awesome, if not a little ambitious. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's something any fan would love to see if the budget allowed it. I think the focus should be on the gameplay, and making sure the monsters play well, and then if there is enough $ left over, talk about extras in the environments.
I suppose it's more of a DOWN THE LINE kind of idea. Obviously, I wouldn't want to spend money on licenses for a little feature like that, lol (IGNORING MY KEIZER GHIDORAH COMMENT...). Those monsters I listed, I would rather see them playable first, and then just use their existing models for the Monster Island cameos.

And you know what, having Keizer Ghidorah as a secret boss is perfect. I thought it was important to show that X and Keizer are related via transformation, but having Keizer as a secret boss whose transformation from X is revealed in a cutscene, I THINK, is a much better representation of their relation. Keizer was supposed to be a secret TWIST in Final Wars after all. It's just PERFECT.

Also, providing bio cards as unlockables is a great idea. Just any little thing that makes you want to play for longer. Reminds me of unlocking trophies in Smash, lol. Could even be multiple cards per monster? Showing different incarnations, possibly. Maybe "Movie List" would be it's own type of cars, with "Bio" being another. Hmmm, maybe a "Moves" card to explain the origins or ideas behind the movesets given to monsters? I'd be very interested in that. I hope the unlockable concept art returns too. :3 Though, am I the only one the appreciated the method of unlocking concept art in DAMM?

Also, is there an agreed upon number of monsters we should expect for an initial release? That might help when coming up with rosters. I'd be fine with cutting... a considerable amount of monsters from Unleashed, in return for about four new ones (Hedorah, Battra, Zilla, Monster X?), as long as there is that promise of gaining the cut ones back later, with even more new ones (Gabara!) when there is, I assume, more money from the revenue the first release garnered.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by hammysammy59 »

I like where you're going with the Gezora moves. I'd maybe add in some moves where he wraps a bunch of tentacles around his opponent, and squeezes the bejeezus out of 'em, constricting and crushing his opponent...

...Actually, that'd be a cool mechanic for all monsters to have. Like a killer bear hug or choke-out move. Obviously other monsters would use their arms, monsters like Biollante and Gorosaurus would chomp down and chew with their big ol' jaws, and Manda of course would use his whole body (which would look awesome). The more health you have, the easier it is to break out of the hold/hold your opponent in the crushing grab. You'd tap a button to escape. Big brawny monsters would inflict more damage with a move like this, but small quick monsters would have an easier time escaping. I know Simon has said creating mechanics based around button-mashing is problematic, but maybe there's some way they could work that out.

Gigan's constriction/bear hug o' doom would be particularly brutal.
Haters gonna hate

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/start-ups ... 06904.html

In case there was anyone still in doubt, here's an article about Kickstarter and the success and good press it's been receiving.
bleep bloop

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

So, let's say I donated $500, and wanted Gorosaurus to be in the game. Would he then appear (assuming permission from TOHO of course)? Or is the $500 only for the right to put an original monster in there? Personally, I have *ZERO* interest in original fan-made monsters/creations...and I mean *NONE* whatsoever. Only TOHO-related kaiju interest me for this project.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:So, let's say I donated $500, and wanted Gorosaurus to be in the game. Would he then appear (assuming permission from TOHO of course)? Or is the $500 only for the right to put an original monster in there? Personally, I have *ZERO* interest in original fan-made monsters/creations...and I mean *NONE* whatsoever. Only TOHO-related kaiju interest me for this project.
Are you even reading? Though I do want to know this also.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

matrix wrote: Are you even reading? Though I do want to know this also.
My question was directed at Mr. Strange/Chris55, not you smartass (and then you admit you want to know the same info that I do)...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

You're not a mod, matrix. Knock it off.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:You're not a mod, matrix. Knock it off.
Hurtfull, but ok

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

What about Achievements? Anyone thought of these?

If the game is released through Steam it's GOT to have some achievements.

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

^hmm, let's see. Maybe some movie-based achievements?
-Finish a fight against Megalon with a 2-foot kick
-Hit Godzilla in the head with a thrown rock using Ebirah
-Destroy a tall tower in a fight against Spacegodzilla
-When playing as Mothra, hit two monsters at once from behind
-Finish a fight with Kiryu's drill arm

There were two discussions a while ago that I'd like to chime in on.

As for move lists, I got GU a few years ago and never knew about Destoroyah's oxygen destroyer bomb, Mothra Larva's air grapple, or Orga's paralyzing goo until they were mentioned in this thread. Upon looking more closely at the move lists on this site, I realized that I also completely missed MOGUERA's G-crusher and double-jump, Destoroyah's micro-oxygen pulse, Megaguirus's plasma blast and double-jump, and the Mechagodzillas' finger missiles.

Another issue was Orga's absorbtion power, and how it could be accomplished. My idea is that Orga could absorb one or more of the following:

Resistances
Colors (just a palette-swap, like the power surges)
Tap attacks (kill two birds with one stone, since some people don't think the paralyzing goo is true-to-character, just make him absorb other monsters' tap attacks like Megalon's napalm bombs)
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Lenbo
Samurai

Post by Lenbo »

Legionmaster wrote:http://finance.yahoo.com/news/start-ups ... 06904.html

In case there was anyone still in doubt, here's an article about Kickstarter and the success and good press it's been receiving.
Good read, but I just saw this as well:

http://kotaku.com/5906711/three+fourths ... rters-fail

According to someone from Kickstarter only 25% of all video game Kickstarter projects meet their funding goals...

I want to be realistic about this, and the reality is the odds are stacked against us successfully funding this project. That's not to say we shouldn't do our best to make it happen, but I just don't want people thinking that it's a given this will happen without a hitch.

- Lenbo

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Hopefully a few of them have deep pockets.

Not every G-Fan is going to/has money to donate. It's at least reasonable that the few fans here on TK are the ones dedicated enough to care about another Godzilla game. Has there been anything to get the word out...?

/pessimism.