New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Post by Mr. Strange »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks all these titles with "Kaiju" in the title is a bit tacky?

How many people outside of our fanbase are gonna know what it even means?

They'll see the game's title and go "Ok, what the Hell does 'Clash of Kaiju' mean?"
I go back and forth on the "Kaiju" issue myself.

My current feeling is that "Kaiju" is a cool word, and marks the game as being fan-funded. If we put two huge monsters fighting on the release art - I think people will get the idea.

Then again, it's easy to just use the word "Monster" - which is clear to everybody. But it makes the game a bit less interesting, perhaps?

Also remember - we don't need sales, like a traditional game needs sales. We're funding development 100%, so we don't need to be too worried about a big marketing push, or "shelf appeal". It's more important to get a title for the project which will help drive donations in the first place - so does "Kaiju" work better for that purpose?

We should totally keep talking about it. For this sort of discussion it's not very useful to just say "I like it" or "I vote no" - it's helpful to put out a bit of reasoning. You did a great job of this by asking "How many people outside of our fanbase are gonna know what it even means?" Let's try to keep the comments at that level of discourse!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

The Japanese title for Godzilla Battle Legends seems like it'd be a nice name. (I can't remember it though...)
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters BRAWL

And Strange, it might depend on your campaign plans for advertising the need for donations? If you were going to hit big social sites like Facebook and Twitter and what have you, maybe get the word out on some gaming site like IGN (I dunno, they were your buddies for Unleashed), then you'd probably want to use "Monster" instead of "Kaiju."

If you're just going to have a spot at G-Fest or something, then I guess "Kaiju" works fine.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Goji »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Why not implement a boss with a really big life bar that stretches across the screen? Say, Desghidorah. After a long battle, you earn the right to use the character in melee and versus mode or whatever you decide to call it. That's if you guys but him in.

Dude..no. Lol. And why DesGhidorah? Out of all characters?

The unlocking method from Smash Bros. would be kind of cool though.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Goji wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:Why not implement a boss with a really big life bar that stretches across the screen? Say, Desghidorah. After a long battle, you earn the right to use the character in melee and versus mode or whatever you decide to call it. That's if you guys but him in.

Dude..no. Lol. And why DesGhidorah? Out of all characters?

The unlocking method from Smash Bros. would be kind of cool though.
IDK, just the first kaiju that came to mind.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Didn't Unleashed kind of have a similar method to Smash? Wasn't it like... "Destroy these things on this day with this faction and you unlock whatever."

I don't remember if that was the ONLY way, but it's not the best method. In Smash, you tend to unlock things by just playing the game. Nothing quite as specific as Unleashed's method. And if you DON'T end up unlocking all the characters by just trying to complete all the modes and what not, there's that back up method of "play x number of versus matches." So you're pretty much guaranteed to unlock all the characters eventually. Which I think G:U had in the POINTS SYSTEM, but I may be mixing up games.

Not sure how I feel about the "beat the character to actually unlock them" part. Judging by how bad I am at StE, it would probably take me forever to unlock everyone, lol. REPLAY VALUE!

Gosh I wish my Wii worked. I thought Unleashed was more enjoyable.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I was miserable powering through STE trying to unlock everything.

Cheat codes ftw. 8-)
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
So basically a Boss battle would just be a regular fight but with a bloated healthbar?

Eh, no thanks. I'd rather a standard 1v1 fight, or better, create unique scenarios to defeat the boss, like....

Defeat the Boss by tossing 5 buildings at them, at regular intervals, while they hover in distance, out of reach. You would have to avoid their aerial attacks and strike when they're vulnerable, which building taking a fair chunk of health away.
I like the idea of having more challenging boss battles. IMO, the hardest (and scariest) level in Unleashed was the battle against the Crystal Towers. The combination of their long attack range, immunity to beams, methods of keeping you far away, and imposing, monolithic appearance made that level a challenge even after figuring out the rest of the game. I'd like more battles like that (maybe something with the Godzilla tower or UFOs?).
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

I would like to see GxM/SOS Godzilla as a playable character, for a change. Give the SOS scar as an alternate skin. Only REAL request from me.

;)
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

While I loved the "protect the building" level in STE, I was never very good at it.

Now when I play, I just kinda free roam as Godzilla for a bit.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

Grayshot954 wrote:Okay got everyone above and I would like to note I added Glacies into the other section. If there is one user monster I would like to see its that monster.
Thanks for adding Glacies! :D I'm glad you like him enough to include him on the list!

However, unless someone is following the G:DBR thread, I doubt they know who he is, so I thought I'd show a pic:

Glacies is a Kaiju I created, he's one of the monsters from my game Exitium, and is also appearing in my fan game Godzilla Daikaiju Battle Royale

Edit-
Here's my list of 20 characters:
1. Godzilla (Tokyo SOS) - A combo of the millennium look with classic Godzilla traits.
2. King Kong (1962)
3. King Ghidorah (showa)
4. Fake Godzilla/MechaGodzilla 74 - A MechaGodzilla plus a way to get a showa like Godzilla
5. Anguirus (showa)
6. Rodan (FW)
7. Mothra (SOS)
8. Gigan (showa)
9. Hedorah (showa)
10. Destoroyah
11. Space Godzilla
12. Biollante
13. Orga
14. Megagurius
15. Monster X / Keizer Ghidorah
16. Megalon
17. Baragon (showa)
18. Moguera (Heisei)
19. Zilla
20. Glacies

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Hmmm, since this is going to be for PC, isn't that going to require some keyboard and mouse controls? I'm sure the focus will be for controllers, but still.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Oasis_S wrote:Hmmm, since this is going to be for PC, isn't that going to require some keyboard and mouse controls? I'm sure the focus will be for controllers, but still.
PC is an open platform. There's no such thing as "require"

I'll probably support mouse control of the menu system, especially for online matchmaking. But combat will require a controller, period. Unless we change our mind.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

I guess I'm thinking it's a situation like Brawl, where the GameCube controller is what it was built for, but because not every Wii owner has one, then it supports even just the Wiimote by itself.

So like, the game would undoubtedly play like crap with the keyboard, but it's at least... there.

Could even rub constant reminders in the face of those who didn't know any better. "You're really not going to have fun until you buy a controller!" on every loading screen.
Last edited by Oasis_S on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Mr. Strange wrote:
Oasis_S wrote:Hmmm, since this is going to be for PC, isn't that going to require some keyboard and mouse controls? I'm sure the focus will be for controllers, but still.
PC is an open platform. There's no such thing as "require"

I'll probably support mouse control of the menu system, especially for online matchmaking. But combat will require a controller, period. Unless we change our mind.
Ok! Didnt know menu will be mouse, as long as combat will use controllers, im good, I dont think you should have the game on consoles if you can do other things with the money, because the pc version is pretty much the same thing, I would rather see stuff like, TITANOSAURUS!!! Lol, I clearly like him. Sorry, is this another stupid post?

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Post by Oasis_S »

I really want to say I could donate $50 by June, but for now I'll just vote $5...

Goodness, if it's true the licenses for Godzilla monsters are $2,500, then a big roster might cost about $90,000. GOODNESS.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

^Don't bring yourself down. Just makes yourself a target. Your posting is fine honestly.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:^Don't bring yourself down. Just makes yourself a target. Your posting is fine honestly.
Didnt really usnderstand part of that but thanks! (the target part)

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Doing this really quick so excuse bad grammer.

My turn to give some thought and ideas into this;

- How flexible is the interaction between monsters. Would you allow a clamping mechanism in this?

When I say clamping, I mean monsters that can use attacks that can uniformly work on eachother. Lets take for example MKG and his machine head. Its an attack that may work on majority of kaiju but some like Rodan or even the newly supposed added kumonga can pose issues for this sort of attack. Clamping is like making a system that can can determine how much an attack animation has to cycle until a suitable adjusted dimension has been reached and the animation ends.

Other notable examples of clamping are like Orga's absorber. In this case I don't believe it should be an issue since he has to bitedown on something and allow the jaw height to determine how much space is needed to bring the flesh curtains from his jaws. Orga can very well be the shang tsung of this game by simply being a copy of the monster after he is done absorbing them. Ofcourse that will require some bit of coding, but you can just set it like:

- Allow only absorbtions of monsters present in the fight and transforming capability being dictated by which monster gets the absorb attack done.

In addition, I do think he should be able to absorb mechas and biomechanical beings considering he did that in the movie when he started leeching E-tech from the buildings he clinged on to.

- Mr Simon, you mentioned world class animations a few pages back. I think it should address specific cases of complex animations rather then all those over the top poses these monsters do that really don't fit in their characteristics. Example, Heisei MG's finger missle animation, in which he does this silly rotation or when Heisei godzilla fires his beam. In the movie, the monsters where stiff and needed minimum body movements in firing their beams. This is specially true for the Heisei series and while some people may not like it, I think having having a small but well animated attack works better then having slapstick over the top attacks (Destoroyah's drop kick, Heisei MG's roundhouse kick and Heisei Godzilla's rather rediculous muke kick in GU). This will also allow for implementing that clamping system that may allow you to make moves like the machine head, Orga's absorber, King ghidorah's neck choke and my personal favourite, Showa Mechagodzilla's jaw breaker attack.

- I noticed that when megalon shot his fireball at the ground, the monsters would start dancing looking silly. It kinda opens up the possibility of specific effects to the damage counter in perticular body parts (shooting showa godzilla in the crotch with the gravity beam).

More ideas:

- I also noticed that some of the attacks are given to the wrong monsters in Godzilla save the earth. let me bring some examples. MKG's little shock missles would work better as Heisei MG's paralyzer missles or Super X's cad missles. Moguera's little absorb and shoot back attack seems to be more of a plasma grenade attack or better yet for spacegodzilla. Gigan's shotgun eyeblast or Moguera's sparkshower attack would look more suited for JJ's eyeflash thing, provided they are colored blue. King ghidorah's backward tail grab and throw in GDAMM would look more appropriate on spacegodzilla or destoroyah. Heisei MG's plasma grenade, I would give to destoroyah and ditch those annoying spammable MO balls (it'll look much more cooler anyway). Heisei MG's super jump should probably be given to Kiryu since its Kiryu's manuever anyway. Not sure if it will look cool but goji's fireball may have a better use by baragon or orga's spit attack given to destoroyah since he has green blood and all. Thats about all I can think of at the moment. I only own G:STE and GDAMM and I rarely get to play them (once in a year).

- Addons for certain monsters are absolutely needed. Heisei MG needs garuda, Orga needs millenian, Kiryu with his backpack etc.

- Titanosaur doesn't need a beam. His special can involve calling upon Simeon ships to blast his enemies. Anguirus can have a better LR attack aswell. Instead of shouting at his enemies, he can just throw a barb of spikes from his tail or launch his nasal horn(it certainly wasn't present in some movies like G vs MG 74 so its not too far fetched).

Thats about all for now.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

In a fighting game, it's important for each attack to be recognizable since you need to know when you're performing an attack and what attack it is that you're performing. Especially in a 3D fighting game like this, those moves have to be recognizable from many different angles. What may look "over the top" is important. And of course, anything will look over the top since the monsters in the movies aren't very animated themselves.

I don't see what's so appealing about making it EXACTLY like the movies. If that were the case, then most fights will consist of slowly bumping into each other and slap fests. Also beam wars. How BORING.