New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Infinity »

In a fighting game, it's important for each attack to be recognizable since you need to know when you're performing an attack and what attack it is that you're performing. Especially in a 3D fighting game like this, those moves have to be recognizable from many different angles. What may look "over the top" is important. And of course, anything will look over the top since the monsters in the movies aren't very animated themselves.
Not quite. Some of the moves in the game are just about right, specially those that involve basic attacks like claw swipes and Tail bludgeoning. I say Moguera from save the earth was just fine in the way he fought as a Heisei Mech.
I don't see what's so appealing about making it EXACTLY like the movies. If that were the case, then most fights will consist of slowly bumping into each other and slap fests. Also beam wars. How BORING.
That all depends on fighting styles. Heisei godzilla does not do dropkicks and fancy uppercuts. He is a juggernaut that crushes things upclose rather then performing acrobatic moves. If lack of standard attacks is so much of an issue than make him like Zangief and give him more grab attacks like grapple chocking, energy biting and hammering combos that involve both slapfests and knockdowns. Not to mention the way he grabs his enemies in the movie and tosses them far away. He needs super armor if anything, so that other monsters can't stop him from executing his slow but powerful moves.

Godzilla STE felt much like it was made for showa and mellenium style fighting, even though it had a good chunk of Heisei monsters.

Bret
G-Grasper

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Post by Bret »

I think the time constraints are seriously going to hurt this endeavor, but I wish you the best of luck regardless.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

It would probably be better to just include kaiju who would look good doing attacks. Heisei Godzilla looked god awful doing the moves in his moveset. He's my favorite Godzilla, but he just isn't meant to do those outrageous attacks. Showa Godzilla could get away with it though. Using one incarnation per character would save time and would probably look better.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

I was mistaken when I said that G:STE seemed to mostly represent showa and shinsei style fighting. Even those movies had a certain degree of believable fighting dynamics. The style featured in these games are more reminiscent of Ultraman style fighting since they tend to simply throw out any sense of mass, weight and dimensional restrictions out the window.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:It would probably be better to just include kaiju who would look good doing attacks. Heisei Godzilla looked god awful doing the moves in his moveset. He's my favorite Godzilla, but he just isn't meant to do those outrageous attacks. Showa Godzilla could get away with it though. Using one incarnation per character would save time and would probably look better.
That could work for a lot of monsters but Godzilla really needs at least 2 to 3 incarnations.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

miguelnuva wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:It would probably be better to just include kaiju who would look good doing attacks. Heisei Godzilla looked god awful doing the moves in his moveset. He's my favorite Godzilla, but he just isn't meant to do those outrageous attacks. Showa Godzilla could get away with it though. Using one incarnation per character would save time and would probably look better.
That could work for a lot of monsters but Godzilla really needs at least 2 to 3 incarnations.
The only Godzillas I want in this game is G'75 and I guess FW. If the kaiju are gonna be jumping around like acrobats then only use the kaiju that move like that.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Bret
G-Grasper

Post by Bret »

Chris55 wrote:
Bret wrote:I think the time constraints are seriously going to hurt this endeavor
Time constraints?
The time constraints regarding the the Kickstarter fundraising.
Apparently SWTOR said that I can invite 25 people for a 7 day trial of the game. PM me if interested.

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

Mr Simon, I hope you can arrange something for this. I would feel kinda bad if they had to remove Heisei godzilla just because the system couldn't accomodate to more fighting styles. Also, this can mean that we can't have most of the Heisei monsters anyway aside from Heisei Ghidorah.

One perticular case I would also like to bring up is Godzilla 1954. I'am not sure where he would fit in this. His real stats claim that he weights the same as the Showa godzilla yet he appears more bulky and massive. I suppose giving him more of the Shinsei goji/ Kiryu's movelist would fit his character better. The one in GU is just wrong.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Also, this can mean that we can't have most of the Heisei monsters anyway aside from Heisei Ghidorah
No, if they're going to include said monsters, they should just give them movesets based on how they move in the movies.
One perticular case I would also like to bring up is Godzilla 1954. I'am not sure where he would fit in this. His real stats claim that he weights the same as the Showa godzilla yet he appears more bulky and massive. I suppose giving him more of the Shinsei goji/ Kiryu's movelist would fit his character better. The one in GU is just wrong.
Or they could just not include him. He's serves no point in being in the game other then he's the first Godzilla.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

"Anguirus can have a better LR attack aswell. Instead of shouting at his enemies, he can just throw a barb of spikes from his tail or launch his nasal horn(it certainly wasn't present in some movies like G vs MG 74 so its not too far fetched). "

Sorry to be "that guy", but, Anguirus' horn was most definitely always present. You may be thinking of his fangs/tusks, which didn't survive into "MechaGodzilla". I've read that he gained spikes on his elbows for that outing, but havent really been able to spot them.

I'd really hate to see him launching his spines though...I think his rolling would be good enough. Then again,Blanka has been my main in the SF series since 1992, so....yeeeeeeah.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

No, if they're going to include said monsters, they should just give them movesets based on how they move in the movies.
Well Space Godzilla, Destoroyah and Super Mechagodzilla moved like sumowrestlers. The flight was their only way of traveling at a faster pace and Destoroyah didn't get that in the previous games at all.
Or they could just not include him. He's serves no point in being in the game other then he's the first Godzilla.
Why?

I happen to like him. If I'am to donate, I'll want him in and done well. He is unique in so many ways and its a pity that no game has so far been able to capture that uniqueness.

but I digress. What matters is that we first get a good game engine with few monsters and then start populating with more of them.
Sorry to be "that guy", but, Anguirus' horn was most definitely always present. You may be thinking of his fangs/tusks, which didn't survive into "MechaGodzilla". I've read that he gained spikes on his elbows for that outing, but havent really been able to spot them.

I'd really hate to see him launching his spines though...I think his rolling would be good enough. Then again,Blanka has been my main in the SF series since 1992, so....yeeeeeeah.

Well it looked pretty awesome when Armedon did it in Primal Rage. That scream is just annoying. Oh and shouldn't the rolling thing be his special attack?

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Mr. Strange wrote:Please do not post a response here, unless it is to point out some important thing I missed in my overview.
Look at what he said, plz read before you post.

jdude1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by jdude1996 »

Um, what exactly are you talking about matrix?

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

people keep commenting, when he said not too.

jdude1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by jdude1996 »

Oh i thought you were saying it to mr. strange.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

^ I thought we were discussing special attacks. If you mean for like a rage/ultra attack, he could do something like knock the opponent down, launch himself high into the air and come down back-first on them....he was a pretty good jumper in "MechaGodzilla" after all.

And no offense but I really dont want to see G54 in any more games. I'd much rather see some of the Showa suits that actually fought other monsters and have either never been in a game (1962) or have been woefully under-represented (1968, 1965, 1974)
SAVE_US.GDZ

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godz wrote:
And no offense but I really dont want to see G54 in any more games. I'd much rather see some of the Showa suits that actually fought other monsters and have either never been in a game (1962) or have been woefully under-represented (1968, 1965, 1974)
I'm going to have to strongly agree with this. Shodai-Goji is awesome and all..but we need a different Showa Godzilla this time around.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

This game should have every version of every Toho kaiju ever, including King Kong. He could be called Giant Gorilla!

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Tamura wrote:This game should have every version of every Toho kaiju ever, including King Kong. He could be called Giant Gorilla!
I don't think anyone would complain about that.....we'd just have to round up, shit, I dunno....surely $10mil would cover the licensing fees and all the employees and tech needed to achieve this. :D
SAVE_US.GDZ

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jahgee »

Who says the game has to take only 12 months :D
One of Toho Kingdom's 2 resident NASCAR fans
There was a time where I was Admin