New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Goji »

The only way GMK Ghidorah will work is if he's made larger. I don't think anyone wants a "small" looking Ghidorah.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:The only way GMK Ghidorah will work is if he's made larger. I don't think anyone wants a "small" looking Ghidorah.
I'm ok with it as long as Showa/Heisei KG are big like they're supposed to be.
bleep bloop

CatfaceFourtoes
Monarch Researcher

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by CatfaceFourtoes »

How about a move for Obsidious that is similar to Mothra's spore shield thing, that cloud that is supposed to ------ energy attacks or something. A cloud of volcanic ash with crystal particles would seem to do the trick. It was once thought to have been able to blot out the sun and kill off the dinosaurs after all.

Another idea I had for Ebirah's claw being used as an energy absorbing/reflecting shield that could be used up was it could heat up or catch on fire before it gets destroyed, making a grab attack that much more damaging to an opponent caught in the giant claw.

As for Manda, I dunno. It has four legs that could work for grip and quadrupedal locomotion, and a serpentine body that could crawl about on its belly. Maybe its horns could be used in a dragging and tripping move. Also it could be a bit like Mothra, in that if its head connects with a powerful blow Manda could be sent flying. As for animating the thing, I think it would look good. Just look at how well Gigan's tail was animated with all of its movements.

Kumonga could probably employ moves with its webbing based off of what some real spiders do with webbing, like constructing nets and snares, or maybe it could even line a web with a poisonous agent, so that enemies could become ensnared/ slowed down as well as be poisoned, if they are able to be affected by poison. For those that cannot be poisoned, perhaps corrosive digestive juices could be administered? Maybe it could also have immunity to the snaring/slowing affect of webs it makes around the arena surfaces, or a kind of bear hug attack where most of its eight legs curl in on an opponent.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by matrix »

I dont know if we have talked about this, but what about new playable monsters? (godzilla monsters) What are the chances of monster x being made? I am ok if he cant transform.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Every time I pop into these threads, and see Corpse's avatar, it just makes me want Zone Fighter even more. :D
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I think Monster X would be a lot of fun. I'd be cool with dropping transformations in general though. They're a neat idea, but I'd rather see that development time go to more separate monsters. The few monsters that can transform usually have one form that is their most widely recognized or signature form... or it's just the best suited to a video game. Adult Mothra, Final Hedorah, Monster X (because I'd rather have an old school Ghidorah over Keizer)... I'd be A-OK with all of these guys not being able to transform. I think non-transforming monsters would make for a more balanced/easy-to-balance game.

I could see rage/special moves incorporating elements from the transformations though! Maybe Adult Mothra can summon two Larvas to wrap her opponent in silk. Hedorah could break up into multiple, smaller Hedorahs to beat up his opponent (same for Destoroyah).
Haters gonna hate

CatfaceFourtoes
Monarch Researcher

Post by CatfaceFourtoes »

Cool moves. Perhaps being bound by Manda's coils could be a monster status, like being poisoned. Manda could waylay on the opponent while they temporarily cannot fight back.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

CatfaceFourtoes wrote:How about a move for Obsidious that is similar to Mothra's spore shield thing, that cloud that is supposed to ------ energy attacks or something. A cloud of volcanic ash with crystal particles would seem to do the trick. It was once thought to have been able to blot out the sun and kill off the dinosaurs after all.
Oh, I like this. I've tried a few "dirt spray" attacks in various games - Megalon's Down + Fierce for example. But Obsidius could totally raise his arms up, roar, and cause a geyser or three to explode up from the earth beneath him. Awesome.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

If we do add in an Ash Cloud move, it needs to work well enough for the Average Joe to utilize it. Mothra's spores are TOO good. Even on fricking EASY mode in both GU and STE, Mothra spams the move over and over when you break out the beams. I don't even fight Mothra in STE anymore becuase you're a sitting duck if you use a beam on her. Thankfully, the spores have a weakness in Unleashed, because you can walk through the spore cloud and hit her after passing the cloud.

Anyway, I do agree that the volcanic aspect of Obsidious was underused. He always struck me as something that should utilize the "massive" Heisei style he seems to remind me of. While Krystalak seems more reminiscent of the MMA-and-off-the-wall attacks seen in the 70's Godzilla movies and GFW.

I think that the Godzilla Neo design for Obsidious should be utilized if we get him added in. His beam could be getting on all fours and bursting lava out of the shoulder volcanoes on his body:
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Hey Simon, do you think Gorosaurus will be playable?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

We don't even know if Toho will approve the game. Patience, young one.

What's this obsession with having Goro playable anyway? Hedorah, Kumonga and a proper version of Battra would be far more interesting to play as. I know the point is to have them all playable eventually, but I'd much rather see them before Goro, to be perfectly honest.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

matrix wrote:Hey Simon, do you think Gorosaurus will be playable?
^I, being the incredible fanboy that I am, PM'd Simon about the characters history in the series up to this point.

Essentially, Goro was, not surprisingly, never really considered as an inclusion to the series, but seeing as the roster for this game will be ever expanding, and also sort of up to the players if everything goes as planned, Goro will likely have a spot.

Seeing as he's doing rather well in this site's fan poll, I think its a safe bet he has a decent to good chance of showing up in game.
Goji wrote:We don't even know if Toho will approve the game. Patience, young one.

What's this obsession with having Goro playable anyway? Hedorah, Kumonga and a proper version of Battra would be far more interesting to play as. I know the point is to have them all playable eventually, but I'd much rather see them before Goro, to be perfectly honest.
Goro would be a fun inclusion due to his tooth and claw nature and the fact he's sort of a cult favorite on the site. I'd love to see a Hedorah inclusion as well though.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Goji wrote:We don't even know if Toho will approve the game. Patience, young one.

What do you mean by a proper Battra?
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Uh, one that isn't a clone?

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Goji wrote:Uh, one that isn't a clone?
When I hear things like this I realize that some people actually played the PS2 G:U, and I shudder. I mostly think that was just a bad dream I had.

So sorry.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Wouldn't Ebirah be sort of like Kamacuras and Kumonga combined? I'd say he should have priority over them. Not to mention we have a few bugs already, so a crustacean monster might be a bit more FRESH. ...I wish there was an emoticon for the kind of face I want to make.

And while I like Gorosaurus well enough, I'd say he should be pretty low priority. There are more interesting and prominent monsters before him.

Did you have ideas for a more unique Battra, Strange?

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I'd really like to see what could be done with Battra. I heard he had various other powers in the Manga version of Godzilla vs Mothra. Maybe use those?

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Oasis_S wrote:Wouldn't Ebirah be sort of like Kamacuras and Kumonga combined? I'd say he should have priority over them. Not to mention we have a few bugs already, so a crustacean monster might be a bit more FRESH. ...I wish there was an emoticon for the kind of face I want to make.
Gotta disagree here. While I'd love to see Ebirah in the game at some point, I think Kumonga would make for the most interesting addition out of the three you mention, both visually and from a gameplay point of view. Kumonga is huge in diameter, colorful, eight-legged, very low to the ground, has cool powers, and is a powerful villain in Son of Godzilla, not to mention her hilarious cameo in Final Wars.

Now that I think about it, Kumonga's easily in my top 5 most wanted "new" monsters, right up there with Hedorah, Gargantua(s) and Zilla.
Last edited by hammysammy59 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haters gonna hate

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

A very cool feature would be a mode where you play through the Manga version of the Heisei Films. Just a thought, or maybe experiment with trying to recreate alternate endings/deleted scenes. That'd be great.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No offense man, but some of your ideas are just way too ambitious.

Mr. Strange wrote: When I hear things like this I realize that some people actually played the PS2 G:U, and I shudder. I mostly think that was just a bad dream I had.

So sorry.
Lol! No worries man. You didnt have anything to do with it after all :P. I'm such a huge STE head, that I couldn't resist trying it out. I got it for an extremely discounted price. This may come as a shock, but I actually like the way some of the monsters play. The 'messed up' throws actually created some bizarre, but unique combo possibilities that only worked in that game(!)