New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Brianzilla2004
Samurai

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Brianzilla2004 »

Mr. Strange wrote:I wonder - should I really consider eliminating Godzilla's Fireball tap weapon? It's not drawn from any specific film, but I thought it fit reasonably well. What's the general consensus?
I always thought Godzilla 90's should replace it with his Nuclear Pulse. His Nuclear Pulse was more of a disruptive attack than the explosive finishing move of his 2000 counterpart. The only difference would be that rather than having it as a short-ranged projectile, it would be a short-ranged AOE weapon.

If you really want to hold onto the Fireball for Godzilla in general, you could always color his Fireball to match his Atomic Ray, as Legionmaster said. That's the thing that's always struck me as odd about the attack. Instead of a Fireball, make it an 'Atomic Ball.' I'd prefer just using his Nuclear Pulse instead, but a blue, oral energy attack fits with Godzilla (unless it's Godzilla 2000, of course).
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mr. Strange wrote:Ever wonder why Mechagodzilla II was so weak to Alien Energy? Because that was Gigan's beam type, and Gigan's "all-edged" melee attacks had a hard time with Mechagodzilla. Why did Godzilla have a fireball? Because it gave him an alternative method of damage when fighting enemies who resisted Nuclear damage.

Here you talk about different kinds of energy. Why can't energy weapons just be energy weapons? Is there a point to having s bunch of sub-categories?
I brought this up earlier. I pointed out Ghidorah's advantage over Godzilla, since Ghidorah deals electric damage and Godzilla is weak to electricity (for some reason...). Simon explained that the varying damage types are there for balancing issues. Apparently Godzilla was destroying Ghidorah, but when they gave Ghidorah that advantage over Godzilla, the two became more balanced. MOGUERA, who is weak against every monster except Godzilla, was pretty much unstoppable until they applied his weaknesses.

I don't really care for that approach to balance the monsters, but it's a good explanation. I still don't see how Godzilla is weak against electricity... Why not include King Kong and make him weak against electricity too?

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

Brianzilla2004 wrote:I don't really care for that approach to balance the monsters, but it's a good explanation. I still don't see how Godzilla is weak against electricity... Why not include King Kong and make him weak against electricity too?
Godzilla being weak to electricity has a degree of canon-icity (though 1-time) in KK vs. G. King Kong was actually stated to thrive off it...so not sure how above would make any sense.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Oasis_S »

I think the novelty of having Clover appear in a Godzilla game has kind of worn off for me. Used to think it would be neat since he was like the NEW MONSTER ON THE BLOCK, but that's not really the case anymore, lol.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ Yeah, I mean, Godzilla has been weak to high levels of electricity before, as seen in both KING KONG VS. GODZILLA and MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA.

I mean, Godzilla 90's needed some kind of weakness. He was already a powerhouse as it is..
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

leunames wrote:
m eyebrow raised a bit when I read in the other thread about the possibility of some kind of structured, iterative release where we get the Toho licenses in game 1, Universal in game 2, Daiei in game 3, etc. I don't know much about IP law and so forth, but is this really feasible? Let's say Toho agrees to a license and that they're ready to go forward...would you then have to tell Daiei that, in addition to procuring a license from them, they'd also have to be agreeable to commingling their monsters with Toho's? I'd imagine at some point that discussion would take place...but what happens if you approach company X for a license, but they refuse on the grounds that they don't want their IPs to be in contact with company Y's IPs?
Certainly, it could be handled badly. I think the LEGO parallel is the best one - Batman doesn't object to getting a LEGO treatment, even though it means you can do Batman vs. Star Wars. People understand that the interchangeable-nature of LEGO is a bit part of the appeal. Similarly, I think I can write a contract which makes it clear to everyone that an ever-expanding platform offer more growth than a one-time game release.

Let's say release 1 is a Godzilla game, and release 5 is a "make your own movie" feature mode (with no monsters). People will want to make Godzilla movies - so sales of release 5 will, probably, help drive additional sales of release 1. In fact, EVERY release will probably drive some additional sales of release 1. That means more money, over a longer period of time.

If TOHO insisted that their content not be compatible with the broader platform, we'd get sales of release 1 for just a few weeks, and then they would trail off. This is a big win for everyone.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I kinda feel that trying to make several games, with several franchise names attached is a little too steep for a fan funded project, but that's just me.

I would much rather see a fan funded officially licensed Godzilla game, and see ALL the work be put into that, and just release DLC packs with new Godzilla related monsters.

Seems like this idea can quickly go over everyone's heads and we end up with nothing at all.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Okay got everyone above. Added Utsuno and Clover to the list so your welcome. So continue adding, we have ALOT of submissions so far. And still faster uploading than TitanoGoji. :P
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Brianzilla2004
Samurai

Post by Brianzilla2004 »

leunames wrote:
Brianzilla2004 wrote:I don't really care for that approach to balance the monsters, but it's a good explanation. I still don't see how Godzilla is weak against electricity... Why not include King Kong and make him weak against electricity too?
Godzilla being weak to electricity has a degree of canon-icity (though 1-time) in KK vs. G. King Kong was actually stated to thrive off it...so not sure how above would make any sense.
Godzilla also absorbed electricity and became even stronger in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Both monsters have been shown to thrive off of electricity at some point. While there have been a handful of occasions where humans have used electricity to fend Godzilla off, it was never stated that he was particularly weak against it. Considering how unmoved by the electric current Godzilla was in the original movie, I'd say he's not particularly weak against it.

It seems like Alien Energy would be a reasonable weakness for Godzilla. King Ghidorah's Gravity Beams could even be a combination of Electric and Alien Energy (since he IS an alien), so he could keep his advantage over Godzilla.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I would like to add to my list Utsuno and Kumacurus (Millenium).
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Post by godzilla898 »

Brianzilla2004 wrote: Considering how unmoved by the electric current Godzilla was in the original movie, I'd say he's not particularly weak against it.
It's been a while since I've seen Gojira, but I don't recall Godzilla actually coming in contact with the wires.
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Wait, Simon, are you saying if you make enough money you will have a movie maker?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Goji wrote: He should also be able to use the Plasma Grenade, which could work similarly to Kiryu's Absolute Zero Cannon.
it could also work like Moguera's chest cannon. Not a rage attack, but a powerful "special move." The shock anchors could serve as his grapple/throw move, like Kiryu's drill hand, and he could be made to absorb most kinds of beam weapons, gaining energy much faster when this happens. Make fighting Mechagodzilla a melee based challenge, but you have to get to him first.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

matrix wrote:Wait, Simon, are you saying if you make enough money you will have a movie maker?
It's a feature on the table. If Chris has his way it will be in the initial release!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Mr. Strange wrote:If Chris has his way it will be in the initial release!
If Chris has his way, all the characters will be giant turds.
bleep bloop

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Very cool! Rodan vs Gyaos, Anguirus vs Guiron, Godzilla vs Gamera... Cool idea!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Brianzilla2004 wrote:
Godzilla also absorbed electricity and became even stronger in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Both monsters have been shown to thrive off of electricity at some point. While there have been a handful of occasions where humans have used electricity to fend Godzilla off, it was never stated that he was particularly weak against it. Considering how unmoved by the electric current Godzilla was in the original movie, I'd say he's not particularly weak against it.
It would appear that a higher voltage of electricty is what actually hurts him in the films of the early 60's. The first Godzilla plowed through power lines..but that was a different Godzilla.

MECHAGODZILLA '74 was released a decade after MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA, and the powers Godzilla was given in the 70's, were absolutely ridiculous. The only reason it 'charged' him in that one film is because the script called for it...just like the script called for him to (clearly) be weak to electricity in 1962; to give Kong an advantage. Having him be weak to it in a video game for the sake of balance really isn't that big of a deal, IMO, considering it was interchangeable in the films anyway. Like I said earlier, Godzilla needs to be weak to something, because he's already insanely good.
It seems like Alien Energy would be a reasonable weakness for Godzilla.
Yeah, that could work.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

Brianzilla2004 wrote: Godzilla also absorbed electricity and became even stronger in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Both monsters have been shown to thrive off of electricity at some point. While there have been a handful of occasions where humans have used electricity to fend Godzilla off, it was never stated that he was particularly weak against it. Considering how unmoved by the electric current Godzilla was in the original movie, I'd say he's not particularly weak against it.

It seems like Alien Energy would be a reasonable weakness for Godzilla. King Ghidorah's Gravity Beams could even be a combination of Electric and Alien Energy (since he IS an alien), so he could keep his advantage over Godzilla.
Yes, but I think you're taking it too far. The point of the game was to introduce balance with some groundwork in the fiction. The fact that there are contradictory occasions concerning electricity and Godzilla was secondary to ONE of the instants depicting an impairment to electricity. I.E., as long as precedence was established they took that and ran with it. I can't fault that approach because really if you're going to nitpick when he was weak to electricity the whole Showa canon is rife with inconsistencies of a far greater degree, never mind the heisei canon.

Fiender
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fiender »

Godzilla (Heisei)
Anguirus (Showa)
Rodan (Showa)
Mothra Imago (Heisei)
Ghidorah (Showa)
Kiryu
Hedorah (Showa)
Gigan (Showa)
I was that kid who made bad Godzilla games in RPG Maker and complained when no one paid attention to them :D

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Balancing the monsters is really about making up for intangibles with a few levers which can swing things in one direction or another.

The numbers & stats displayed aren't the only things determining the "balance" of the monsters - far from it! There are tens of thousands of numbers associated with each monster - the damage and attack type of each hit, the length of time the monster spends reacting to different hits, the breakdown of which reactions override which monster actions (movements, attacks, weapons) - it is far, far more complex than any discussion we could have here.

With this new project, we have a mostly clean slate to work from. The best use of our time is to lay out the things we did like - so that I can make sure that those things come back in a very similar form. Start with the positive, and we'll use it to establish a framework. Most of the things being discussed here won't ever come up again - because there will be different balance issues in the new project, which will require new solutions.

Here's a controls question - did anyone ever use the button-only combos? Things like A,B,X? Or did everyone just dis (dir)+Button all the time, and win the game with single-hits?

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

I mostly used the directional stick with buttons, but I think the buton only attacks need to have some advantage, like maybe stun the person if you hit enough with button only attacks. (im pretty sure that happend in G:U ps2, but it took so many attacks)