New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:Guys, would you be cool with a bonus boss that you fight after meeting the right conditions, like beat the game on hard mode?
Oorchi or maybe Super Godzilla would be cool for a final boss. As much as I would like to use Bagan I'm starting to think he couldn't leave up to all the hype.

Now Orochi or Super Godzilla following Matt Frank's origins sound like terrible beasts to take on. Super Godzilla could be the 1954 Goji corpse added with King Ghidorah cells or something along those lines while Orochi is just a huge eight headed dragon who can shoot Fire, Ice, Lighting, Air, Earth, Water, Light and Darkness from his heads.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Yeah, put me down for liking DAMM's graphics the best too. Of course it's not the most technically impressive, but it has a really clean, finished look. It looks very complete, and I like how the colors complement each other.

I love the sound of Orochi as a secret super-boss.... but it sounds like resources that go into a boss-only character will take away from resources that could be building more playable monsters.
Haters gonna hate

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

miguelnuva wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Guys, would you be cool with a bonus boss that you fight after meeting the right conditions, like beat the game on hard mode?
Oorchi or maybe Super Godzilla would be cool for a final boss. As much as I would like to use Bagan I'm starting to think he couldn't leave up to all the hype.

Now Orochi or Super Godzilla following Matt Frank's origins sound like terrible beasts to take on. Super Godzilla could be the 1954 Goji corpse added with King Ghidorah cells or something along those lines while Orochi is just a huge eight headed dragon who can shoot Fire, Ice, Lighting, Air, Earth, Water, Light and Darkness from his heads.
How would it shoot Earth from its head? :lol:
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Grayshot! You forgot Maguma from Gorath!
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

How would it shoot Earth from its head? :lol:
Just shoot like rocks from his head or stone fireballs for example
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

That head could just vomit dirt. It wouldn't hurt, but your monster would be grossed out and feel bad for that Orochi head.
Haters gonna hate

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Joke or not, I feel like if we can come up with a decent moveset for Ebirah, we could TOTALLY put something together for Maguma. That said, maybe he's better suited as a cameo or a summon.
Haters gonna hate

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Lenbo wrote:
Oasis_S wrote:I felt that G:DAMM for Gamecube was the most visually appealing out of all the Pipeworks Godzilla games. It had a very bright, clean look to it. The lighting and the monsters didn't have all that cluttered, bumpy texturing they received in the subsequent games. The night stages had a cool neon, slick appearance to them.
I agree completely. I remember being surprised that StE's visuals seemed like a step down. While not a MAJOR issue, sometimes it felt like the monsters didn't stand out from their environment. I DUNNO, maybe I'm just a sucker for more simple styles, lol.

Though I remember Unleashed being pretty good? Always wanted the lighting effects to be amazing. What with so many BEAMS flying around. AGAIN, DON'T REMEMBER UNLEASHED VERY WELL (I guess I didn't play it as much as I thought I did, lol) but used to the only... light emitting... points? were from the monster's mouth and from where the beam made contact with whatever else. Wanted to stroll around New York City at night, with the soft glow of Obsidius's lava cast on the buildings. :V

Also, while Matt Frank is a great artist and his redesigns are neat, I kind of hope he sticks closer to the source material.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Since the stages, as I understand, are going to be more varied and reflect ...biomes? rather than cities, then an ARCTIC stage is pretty obvious.

Maguma should make an easter egg appearance there, lol. Maybe if you destroy a particular icy mound with a fire attack.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

hammysammy59 wrote:
I love the sound of Orochi as a secret super-boss.... but it sounds like resources that go into a boss-only character will take away from resources that could be building more playable monsters.
How bout something actually from the Godzilla universe. Orochi has eight heads..that would be a lot of work for one monster that's never even been in a Godzilla film.Orochi is a terrible idea.

What's wrong with Keizer Ghidorah? Everyone hates him, and this way, we get a Godzilla monster, and we get to kick his ass. Its a win-win situation. I'm pretty sure that TK user Destoryer is the only one that cares about having him playable anyway.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I like that idea. Maybe once he appears he could be a stage hazard, sinkin' those big ol' tusks into any monster that wanders too close.
Haters gonna hate

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Over in the monster tally thread, Maguma was brought up as a potential joke/cameo monster in an arctic level, and then I piggy-backed off that idea and suggested he could be a stage hazard. What do you guys think of having damage-dealing stage hazards in the game? We've had them in the Pipeworks games in the form of lava pits, and I'd like to have them in the new game as well. It'd be an awesome way to work in lesser monsters like Maguma--maybe if you damage him enough he'll wander off for a while?

Dogora would be sweet as a stage hazard as well.
Haters gonna hate

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

You know, what if Monster X is the final boss (since apparently people are getting tired of SpaceGodzilla even though he fits that role pretty well...) and then, if you beat Action Mode on HARD, he'll "transform" into Keizer Ghidorah (probably just as a cutscene). Doesn't even necessarily have to act like a normal, playable monster. Though STE didn't handle those type of things very well, lol. I was just thinking you'd use your beam to destroy the heads, while avoiding getting attacked yourself. Kind of boring on paper. :V

But if Keizer Ghidorah was a separate character, then that'd be a nice way to unlock him.

Speaking of CAMEOS, it'd be neat if Monster Island had cameos of "lesser" monsters sitting on the sidelines watching the battle. It would set it apart from the other environments. I... would think it'd be fairly simple if one of those particular monsters were playable, and used on Monster Island, then they wouldn't appear on the sidelines?

Y'know, have Varan flying around, Baragon digging a hole, Gorosaurus watching the battle cheering you on with roars, Manda swimming around... OH! Stage Hazard: Ebirah pops out of the water and tosses a rock at someone.

Ebirah Volleyball should have been a challenge. BD

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Oasis_S wrote:You know, what if Monster X is the final boss (since apparently people are getting tired of SpaceGodzilla even though he fits that role pretty well...) and then, if you beat Action Mode on HARD, he'll "transform" into Keizer Ghidorah (probably just as a cutscene). Doesn't even necessarily have to act like a normal, playable monster. Though STE didn't handle those type of things very well, lol. I was just thinking you'd use your beam to destroy the heads, while avoiding getting attacked yourself. Kind of boring on paper. :V

But if Keizer Ghidorah was a separate character, then that'd be a nice way to unlock him.
Nice to see that not everyone is ignoring me. I like the idea of having Monster X be the final boss, and having him turn into Keizer on Hard mode via cutscene (to be less taxing on the game engine..though making a cut scene may be even more expensive). If people really want him playable (which seems highly unlikely), than I agree that this would be a sensible way of unlocking him.
Speaking of CAMEOS, it'd be neat if Monster Island had cameos of "lesser" monsters sitting on the sidelines watching the battle. It would set it apart from the other environments. I... would think it'd be fairly simple if one of those particular monsters were playable, and used on Monster Island, then they wouldn't appear on the sidelines?

Y'know, have Varan flying around, Baragon digging a hole, Gorosaurus watching the battle cheering you on with roars, Manda swimming around... OH! Stage Hazard: Ebirah pops out of the water and tosses a rock at someone.
This sounds awesome, if not a little ambitious. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's something any fan would love to see if the budget allowed it. I think the focus should be on the gameplay, and making sure the monsters play well, and then if there is enough $ left over, talk about extras in the environments.
Ebirah Volleyball should have been a challenge. BD
Haha, yeah dude. If Ebirah hadn't already been featured in a different challenge in STE. This would have been a perfect replacement for the volleyball challange.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:
Oasis_S wrote:You know, what if Monster X is the final boss (since apparently people are getting tired of SpaceGodzilla even though he fits that role pretty well...) and then, if you beat Action Mode on HARD, he'll "transform" into Keizer Ghidorah (probably just as a cutscene). Doesn't even necessarily have to act like a normal, playable monster. Though STE didn't handle those type of things very well, lol. I was just thinking you'd use your beam to destroy the heads, while avoiding getting attacked yourself. Kind of boring on paper. :V

Nice to see that not everyone is ignoring me. I like the idea of having Monster X be the final boss, and having him turn into Keizer on Hard mode via cutscene (to be less taxing on the game engine..though making a cut scene may be even more expensive). If people really want him playable (which seems highly unlikely), than I agree that this would be a sensible way of unlocking him.
I think it's mostly agreed that MX/KG are going to be left out of the initial release. But should there be a second pack of Godzilla monsters, I think priority should be given to them (for newness' and uniqueness' sake). I think the MX final boss fight with a cutscene to Keizer Ghids was mentioned back in the bowels of this thread somewhere (because I talked about it somewhere down the line), and I would agree that that's how to use them in this situation.

I will strongly disagree with making special boss characters, however. If we're going to dump time and money (and by "we" I mean Simon et. al.), I'd rather have it go towards monsters I can actually use, not just ones I can look at.
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I 100% agree with all of that. None of these things should be a priority, at least not with the initial release.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Living Corpse wrote:I think it'd be cool to unlock some bio cards for the monsters that talk about their powers, goals and what films they showed in, which was their first, etc. I was disappointed when in I found out the cool bio cards for the Godzilla: Unleashed site were not in the game itself as stuff you could collect.
Good idea! Ill say this again I like stuff you buy in the store better than unlockables.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Living Corpse wrote:I think it'd be cool to unlock some bio cards for the monsters that talk about their powers, goals and what films they showed in, which was their first, etc. I was disappointed when in I found out the cool bio cards for the Godzilla: Unleashed site were not in the game itself as stuff you could collect.
Hmmm - I was the person who wrote those Bio cards for G:U (though an editor at Atari changed a few things - like making Godzilla "she" - ugh.) and I was pretty happy with them.

We don't know what the structure of the game will be at this point - will it be a story? Let's say it is, just for this thought-experiment. Would you want Bio-cards that:

1 - Describe the Toho biography of the monsters?
2 - Describe the relationships of the monsters within the game story?
3 - Give a list of film appearances? (Not a fictional bio, but a real bio for the fictional monster)

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Hmm, I like 1 and 3, if I had to choose one, then 1. But it would be cooler if they were unlockable in the store, maybe as gallary pictures.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mr. Strange, this may be a silly question, but would you have have to pay to use the rights to the titles of the some of the films?

For example, even if Frankenstein doesn't make it in the final game, would have you have to pay a fee to mention FRANKENSTEIN VS. BARAGON in Baragon's bio under "Film appearances"?