New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Supergeon
Samurai

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Supergeon »

I can see your point, and that makes me recall what you said in the podcasts (years ago) That you designed G:U's fighting system to allow actions to occur even though you were being attacked (example being the two kids playtesting)

Elaborating on the elimination of health bars, certain attacks or events would have to result in the match ending in this instance? A building collapsing on top of a monster, full-power weapon attack while in a vulnerable state.

Sorry to drag the conversation out, but I feel since there aren't any non disclosure agreements I would seize the opportunity to pick your brain because I have always wanted to!

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Supergeon wrote:I can see your point, and that makes me recall what you said in the podcasts (years ago) That you designed G:U's fighting system to allow actions to occur even though you were being attacked (example being the two kids playtesting)

Elaborating on the elimination of health bars, certain attacks or events would have to result in the match ending in this instance? A building collapsing on top of a monster, full-power weapon attack while in a vulnerable state.

Sorry to drag the conversation out, but I feel since there aren't any non disclosure agreements I would seize the opportunity to pick your brain because I have always wanted to!
Eliminating the health bars would be extreme - but I might very seriously consider going to a big number - like Smash Bros does. That leaves plenty of space for 4 HUDs on the screen, which is nice. Putting player 3 and 4 HUDs at the bottem (like STE and G:DAMM) really caused some problems trying to do things like dialog, or in-game events. Eliminating the energy bar would be simpler - just quantize it and let monsters gain/lose discrete quanta of energy. It was always a problem that if, for example, Godzilla's Fireball took 600 energy (out of 1000) a continous bar doesn't really look different with 590 or 610 energy.

Similarly, a health bar with 500 HP means that hitting for 8 damage looks pretty much the same as hitting for 5. Using numbers to show damage eliminates all that ambiguity.

Here's a way to use numbers, but put some back-and-forth into the game. As you lose health, you get closer and closer to a "Rage-like" mode. If you land a blow, the rage meter flips between you and your opponent, but does extra damage. This means if player A hits player B 5-6 times in a row, then when B finally hits back - it will be an extra heavy hit, and B has an opportunity to land extra-heavy hits for a few seconds. That encourages B to go on the offensive when losing.

Here's an idea about "cinematic roars." We've floated the idea that, instead of recharging slowly all the time, energy comes back when you roar. This would give fast monsters a reason to move out of melee range if we cut powerups - because getting far enough away to roar safely would be good strategy.
But then we could include a counter roar - if two monsters roar at just the same time, they go berzerk and charge one another. This means a slow monster (like Biollante) could force fast monsters back into melee range and/or stop them from regaining energy.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Both of those ideas are awesome, I especially like the use of roars as a strategic element in order to eliminate health and energy pickups and force a ranged weapon abuser into melee range. I would definitely be an advocate for both of these gameplay elements.

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Post by godzilla898 »

I'm not a fan of purely roaring to regain your energy. Unless their is some way to stop someone from spamming roars at any time, I feel that it could easily be abused and matches would quickly turn in to roar spam fests. The counter roar could work if done right.
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

godzilla898 wrote:I'm not a fan of purely roaring to regain your energy. Unless their is some way to stop someone from spamming roars at any time, I feel that it could easily be abused and matches would quickly turn in to roar spam fests. The counter roar could work if done right.
Well, the roar has to complete (3-4 seconds) before you get your energy back, so if your opponent can hit you in that time you lose out. Specifically, opponents can always burn one of their own energy cells to interrupt your attempt to get energy back.

The best times to roar are right after you knock down an opponent (which means you are roaring instead of doing a follow-up hit) or when you are far away from your opponent (which means they have no energy of their own, or you have put a building in-between.)

The counter-roar would also be a cool mechanic. So as of right now, there are more counters than ways to do the thing successfully. Clearly more design is needed!

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

A bit random, but how much money would you have to raise for it to be on consoles? I would still get it for PC, but I much rather prefer consoles. :g2k:

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

matrix wrote:A bit random, but how much money would you have to raise for it to be on consoles? I would still get it for PC, but I much rather prefer consoles. :g2k:
Rough estimate - $300,000 to get the thing done, and another $300,000 to make a console release. I would strongly suggest, however, that we hold off on the console release initially. If we get this thing rolling, and high-quality on the PC side, then we open the door for a publisher to step in and foot the bill for console publishing costs in exchange for a share of sales.

Also, remember that the PC game will require gamepads (Xbox 360 gamepads are great, but PS3 gamepads are also USB, so either can just be plugged into your PC) so the PC experience will probably be pretty much exactly the same as the console experience.

The larger issue, as we've said a few times in this thread, is that while PC games can be patched and expanded as frequently as we like, console patches are VERY EXPENSIVE. So the longer (and larger) we get things before we make the move to console, the better in my opinion.

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Re: Matt / Chris / Simon talk about the new Kaiju Game.

Post by Jahgee »

So if I donate 50 dollars, everything released for this is free to me?
One of Toho Kingdom's 2 resident NASCAR fans
There was a time where I was Admin

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

MechaJahgeezilla wrote:So if I donate 50 dollars, everything released for this is free to me?
Exactly. Every game, every expansion made on this framework is yours to download free of charge.

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jahgee »

Mr. Strange wrote:
MechaJahgeezilla wrote:So if I donate 50 dollars, everything released for this is free to me?
Exactly. Every game, every expansion made on this framework is yours to download free of charge.
OK, so even if the game goes to consoles, I can get a console version and all the expansion backs on a console of my choice?

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Post by Jahgee »

World War Kaiju

Going by Mr. Strange's criteria

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

MechaJahgeezilla wrote:
Mr. Strange wrote:
OK, so even if the game goes to consoles, I can get a console version and all the expansion backs on a console of my choice?
Assuming it becomes a download on consoles, yes. We might very well even let contributors download it for free on all three platforms. If it goes to a disc-based purchase, however (not something I would do on my own - being speculative here) then we probably wouldn't be able to give those away free, since we would need to give profit-sharing portions to our publisher and console collaborators. That's why the reward specifies "download."

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jahgee »

Mr. Strange wrote:
MechaJahgeezilla wrote:
Mr. Strange wrote:
Assuming it becomes a download on consoles, yes. We might very well even let contributors download it for free on all three platforms. If it goes to a disc-based purchase, however (not something I would do on my own - being speculative here) then we probably wouldn't be able to give those away free, since we would need to give profit-sharing portions to our publisher and console collaborators. That's why the reward specifies "download."
OK, thanks for clearing this up, expect a $50 dollar donation from me when we can start donating

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Some nitpicky stuff in there - I'm looking forward to getting the new game into yall's hands before release, so there is none of this nitpicky nonsense in the future!

Many of the suggestions in the second half are good - some we've already discussed.

The one part of this I'd like to specifically talk about is the "arbitrary" elemental weaknesses. Brian is, on this point, totally wrong. Godzilla is not vulnerable to electricity randomly - he is weak specifically because he beat Ghidorah too often in our balancing tests. With his ~12% extra damage taken from Ghidorah and Megalon's beam attack, Godzilla stopped dominating those matches so completely.

A few elemental resistances / vulnerabilities were put in place because of movie reference, but for the most part every single one of them (and even the specific breakdown of damage types) was adjusted specifically to improve game balance. Having that knob in there to adjust allowed us to be a bit more free with our melee attacks - letting us make them "look good" as our first criteria, instead of worrying too much about their particular effectiveness.

Let's take Megaguirus as a specific example - she has a crippling weakness to Atomic Energy. Why? Because she absolutely CLOBBERED Space Godzilla for months. Her energy parasite playstyle just hurt him too much, since his game is all about creating alternative ways to regenerate his hard-to-come-by energy. This was a hard decision, because it then meant that G2k and G90 / G54 were extra strong against Megaguirus. We had to take other steps to fix those match-ups.

The damage type system was such an incredibly useful tool for balancing the game - I can't imagine letting it go. Using a wide variety of damage types gave me fine control over each match-up possibility in the game, which in G:U was 650(!) different match-ups to balance.

I was really surprised at some of the fan backlash about this issue - I think something that made it hard to swallow was the fact that the numerical range of the resistances / vulnerabilites was so wide. Many of them were only ~5% changes to the base damage, while a (very) small number were +50% or more. Seeing that row of vulnerabilities in MOGUERA's character sheet seems to have been off-putting, but I promise you that MOGUERA was a top-tier character for a long time, and needed serious weakening. I didn't just slap those attributes on him randomly!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Could I make a little suggestion? Beam battles, in my opinion, need to be a lot more rare then they were in GU. I like the game, but one of the most annoying things about it for me was the fact that beam battles happened 90% of the time you fired your beam at an opponent! Beam battles themselves, I don't mind, but they need to be more rare in the game. Maybe if two beams are fired at the same time, a beam battle only has a 10% chance of happening?

Oh, another thing about beams. Explosions. To see explosions where the beams hit, be it the ground, buildings, or other monsters, would be great. In my opinion, it would make it feel much more like the movies.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

I think it is a really stupid move to say that monsters cannot do the moves they do in the games because they were never done in the movies. A few things to consider:

1. Without added abilities, certain monsters will be be left high and dry in the fighting department compared to better equipped adversaries. It also elaborates on movesets monsters are already known to have. Let's be honest, Monster fights in the movies don;t display too much. It would be horrendously mundane to see monsters doing the same thing as other monsters over and over, and that thing itself being mundane. If Baragon;s or Jet Jaguar's movesets were ripped form the films, they'd be Goddamn boring.

2. There is no established canon for the Godzilla franchise at all. So everything is fair game. To go strictly by what the movies say is ridiculous, as you are limiting yourself creatively and not actively adding ANYTHING to the franchise or characters at all, which I think artists would love to do. Why limit yourself in such a way? That level of purity is borderline parody. Basically anything goes in the Godzilla universe as long as it is approved by Toho. THAT is the mark of legitimacy, and Toho seemed fine with all the moveset adjustments made in previous games. I see no reason to remove them.

3.Removing such things actively makes the game worse. I loved Gigan's teleport, and the Sonic Roar(Only beam weapon like it). Taking them out would make me less inclined to play the characters, because you are making them more boring for something as pointless and irrelevant as film accuracy. These aren't bastardizations of the characters. They are simply adding things that makes them more unique, powerful, and differentiates them form the rest of the cast. By giving them less stuff, in order to keep it close to something poorly portrayed and not even in canon, is taking out game features for no real good reason other than a mistaken sense of franchise purity. I'm somewhat pf a purist when it comes to some things, but as I said, these aren't bastardizations. They are making the characters cooler and function better within the game world. Film accuracy be dammed.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Could I make a little suggestion? Beam battles, in my opinion, need to be a lot more rare then they were in GU. I like the game, but one of the most annoying things about it for me was the fact that beam battles happened 90% of the time you fired your beam at an opponent! Beam battles themselves, I don't mind, but they need to be more rare in the game. Maybe if two beams are fired at the same time, a beam battle only has a 10% chance of happening?
I don't know exactly what the best solution is, but I agree that beam battles were wonky in G:U. They led to bad interactions, and their predictability (it's the AI which does that) worsened the effect.
3.Removing such things actively makes the game worse. I loved Gigan's teleport, and the Sonic Roar(Only beam weapon like it). Taking them out would make me less inclined to play the characters, because you are making them more boring for something as pointless and irrelevant as film accuracy. These aren't bastardizations of the characters. They are simply adding things that makes them more unique, powerful, and differentiates them form the rest of the cast. By giving them less stuff, in order to keep it close to something poorly portrayed and not even in canon, is taking out game features for no real good reason other than a mistaken sense of franchise purity. I'm somewhat pf a purist when it comes to some things, but as I said, these aren't bastardizations. They are making the characters cooler and function better within the game world. Film accuracy be dammed.
When designing the monster attacks and abilities, I came up with some rather detailed ideas about what each monster's personality/fighting style/visual style should be. I'd be very interested to have people list which characters they felt properly captured the character, and which seemed offset from their expectations. For example, I made Anguirus really scrappy, in-your-face (most of his attacks advanced him significantly) and built his fighting style around staying in close. His Sonic Roar was designed to disrupt beam attacks, but not actually give him significant long-range damage. I felt as if all of that captured what people wanted to see in Anguirus.

But how did I do with the other characters? It's not too early to re-conceptualize fighting goals. Should Orga still be a grappler? Should someone else? Should MOGUERA be all about keep-away? Let's hear your good and bad impressions.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

I don't have a problem with new abilities in the games, per se (I also loved Gigan's teleportation, for example). It's when they change the entire core of the character that bothers me. Titanosaurus and Varan are, like Anguirus, ordinary dinosaurs that rely on their own mettle (and teeth and claws) to duke it out. Giving the two of them beam weapons just seems... wrong. Like Anguirus, their game should be almost entirely physical. They each had enough going for them that neither really needed a beam weapon - Varan could fly/glide and was fast as hell, and Titanosaurus already even had his own projectile with the cyclone tail.

If we choose Titanosaurus at the character select, it's likely because we want to play as the guy who kicked Godzilla's ass without any special powers. If we want to play as a character with a beam weapon, we'll play as Godzilla or Rodan or Mechagodzilla or any of the dozen other monsters that already have one.
Mr. Strange wrote:I'd be very interested to have people list which characters they felt properly captured the character, and which seemed offset from their expectations.
I actually thought Titanosaurus and Varan were pretty much perfect (aside from their beam weapons, obviously).
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

@Donkun - I get what you're saying..100% movie accurate gameplay mechanics just wouldn't work for obvious reasons. However, I think a middle ground could be met, and they could look and "feel" more like the suits. I love DAMM and STE, but they're not quite there in terms of convincing me that I'm controlling the same beasts from the films.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Another question. For donation, where do we donate money for the game? Also, if someone could put in an original monster, how would that monster be treated?
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA