New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Legionmaster »

Also keep in mind how many projects on Kickstarter are NOT backed by experienced, intelligent people like Simon and aren't making a game with an established franchise with an established fanbase.
bleep bloop

Lenbo
Samurai

Post by Lenbo »

Chris55 wrote:
Lenbo wrote:
I want to be realistic about this, and the reality is the odds are stacked against us successfully funding this project.
- Lenbo
There are WAAAYY more Godzilla fans out there than what's on TK/G-Fest. Gotta open up your world a little more
Godzilla fans willing to donate money to a Kickstarter (how many people even know what that is) project for a PC game that may or may not be like a somewhat obscure series of console Atari Godzilla games that hasn't been around for the past 5 years?

I want this to happen, but like I said, I just want to be realistic about this. I want people to know what we're getting into here.

- Lenbo

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Chris55 wrote:
Oasis_S wrote:Hopefully a few of them have deep pockets.

Not every G-Fan is going to/has money to donate. It's at least reasonable that the few fans here on TK are the ones dedicated enough to care about another Godzilla game. Has there been anything to get the word out...?

/pessimism.
Nothing to get the word out on yet. When the project launches, the news will spread. Godzilla's pretty huge in pop culture. The word just has to stretch.
HMMM. Yeah, okay, I guess it is best to actually have something to get the word out about. No use in telling people "NEW GODZILLA GAME BE SURE TO DONATE" when they can't donate yet. Might forget by the time it's important. But... I'm also afraid the ...two months was it? won't be enough time for the word to spread WIDE ENOUGH.

I guess I should probably have confidence that you guys, who want this to happen more than anyone else here, know what you're doing to get the results you want.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Will there be any concept art or video to help pitch the idea? Visual aids, especially for a project like this, would probably go a looooooooooooong way.
Haters gonna hate

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Matt Frank should do up a "poster" with the general idea, as well as the benefits of donating, to be linked around to, lol. Plus the address to where to donate.

Y'know, just something professional looking. "Oh, maybe I should actually pay attention to this."

Something like that would at least spread easily on Tumblr I suppose. Probably message boards too.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Wow, i miss out a lot but i agree that if they want to attract audience for this, a poster
or some concept art could do it.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Wow, i miss out a lot but i agree that if they want to attract audience for this, a poster
Well, naturally attracting an audience would be through advertisement, but some forms of that option does cost. (Depending on how wide of a range that your aiming at)

Are we going to put out ads within comics or flyers? Where are we going to spread the awareness? What are the hotspots that should be targeted for the spreading of awareness? This has already been talked about and suggested before some long pages back. I think some would agree that G-Fan is a decent place to spread awareness, and that G-Fest would be the best place. That's Godzilla community awareness-wise, but non G-community wise....Well, maybe comic-con? Idk, I'm a little stuck on that one.

rmzy
Young Farmer

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by rmzy »

I've lurked these forums for over a year, but the possibility of being able to have input on something like this is what it took to finally have me register.

Godzilla Showa
King Ghidorah Showa
Rodan Showa
Anguirus Showa
Mothra SOS+FW
Battra
Megalon
Gigan Showa
Hedorah
Varan
Baragon
Titanosaurus
Gorosaurus
Kamacuras Millenium
Ebirah Showa
King Caesar
Gezora
Mechagodzilla 1
Zilla
Jet Jaguar

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'll spread the word more once the Kickstarter page is up.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

ゴジラ wrote:
Giga Kaiju wrote:Wow, i miss out a lot but i agree that if they want to attract audience for this, a poster
Well, naturally attracting an audience would be through advertisement, but some forms of that option does cost. (Depending on how wide of a range that your aiming at)

Are we going to put out ads within comics or flyers? Where are we going to spread the awareness? What are the hotspots that should be targeted for the spreading of awareness? This has already been talked about and suggested before some long pages back. I think some would agree that G-Fan is a decent place to spread awareness, and that G-Fest would be the best place. That's Godzilla community awareness-wise, but non G-community wise....Well, maybe comic-con? Idk, I'm a little stuck on that one.
YouTube is a great place to spread awareness. There's a pretty decent sized kaiju fan base on there, I'll be sure to post a video or two on the matter when the time is right.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Spread information is not the problem, the problem is with what. Something that appeals the fans
(Us for example with some Information was enough but for more audience a Teaser could be nice).
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Lenbo
Samurai

Post by Lenbo »

ゴジラ wrote:Are we going to put out ads within comics or flyers? Where are we going to spread the awareness? What are the hotspots that should be targeted for the spreading of awareness? This has already been talked about and suggested before some long pages back. I think some would agree that G-Fan is a decent place to spread awareness, and that G-Fest would be the best place. That's Godzilla community awareness-wise, but non G-community wise....Well, maybe comic-con? Idk, I'm a little stuck on that one.
I'm not sure if this has been suggested or already looked into, but it would be good to have a link on G-Fest's registration page:

http://www.g-fan.com/html/gfest_xix/reg ... on_xix.php

If we could get a link to the Kickstarter page there, or even some way to give people an option to donate directly while they're buying G-Fest tickets, that would be great. I think a lot of fans would definitely consider ponying up some money for a project like this while they're already spending some money for a Godzilla fan convention.

- Lenbo

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

I saw Chris mention that 12-14 monsters are planned for the first release, so ASSUMING THOSE ARE UP TO VOTING, would anyone know who they would want/expect? My guess would be:

Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Mothra
Anguirus
Rodan
Mechagodzilla
Gigan
Destoroyah
Megalon
Spacegodzilla
Hedorah
Monster X
(And for the last two that may not make it)
Zilla
...Baragon/Biollante, I can't decide.

I remember hearing that Baragon is really popular, but I think that was just in Japan. Since this is more Western oriented, and Baragon is sort of like a less interesting Anguirus, then maybe Biollante would be better since I recall her being heavily wanted for STE and Unleashed, and she definitely stands out among all Godzilla monsters. (Don't get me wrong, I love Baragon, BUT WE HAVE TO BE CONSERVATIVE AND HAVE AS MUCH OF A VARIED ROSTER AS POSSIBLE)

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I like your list, and as a huge Biollante fan, naturally I'd pick her over Baragon. Your reasoning for omitting him makes a lot of sense.

The only question now is which Mechagodzilla should come first? The one with the most votes I guess?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

I like the list too except for Monster-X I'm just not a big fan of his I'd rather have in Orga or Titanosaurus. Personaly I'd pick Gabara over the 4 of them but unless I come across enough money when and if the time comes to donate I'm not all that certain he'd stand much chance of making it in.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

I would also rather have Titanosaurus, but only by a bit, I like Monster X.

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

CheetoKamper wrote:Personaly I'd pick Gabara over the 4 of them but unless I come across enough money when and if the time comes to donate I'm not all that certain he'd stand much chance of making it in.
Never give up hope, my brother.

I feel like Monster X is in the same position that Orga was in for DAMM. I'm sure plenty of people would have rather seen some other monster than Orga in DAMM at the time, but he got in because he was the newest Godzilla foe (to the US, at least). But if not Monster X, then wouldn't a new monster be preferred than an old one, since we'll be getting those guys back later...? Would be nice to start out this game with a few new faces. And again, if not Monster X, then what else is there... Gabara (Yes please.)? Ebirah (No. Gabara.)? We've already had the more famous monsters (I would say Battra, but I already had Mothra. VARIETY!).

He'd probably be a pretty neat fighter as well. Reminds me of M. Bison with all that hovering. Didn't he have a rising spin kick to tail whack attack in Final Wars? But I guess if the fans prefer someone else, then it can't be helped, lol.

Orga probably would be a good replacement for him on my list, actually. :V

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Oasis_S wrote:I feel like Monster X is in the same position that Orga was in for DAMM. I'm sure plenty of people would have rather seen some other monster than Orga in DAMM at the time, but he got in because he was the newest Godzilla foe (to the US, at least). But if not Monster X, then wouldn't a new monster be preferred than an old one, since we'll be getting those guys back later...? Would be nice to start out this game with a few new faces. And again, if not Monster X, then what else is there... Gabara (Yes please.)? Ebirah (No. Gabara.)? We've already had the more famous monsters (I would say Battra, but I already had Mothra. VARIETY!).

He'd probably be a pretty neat fighter as well. Reminds me of M. Bison with all that hovering. Didn't he have a rising spin kick to tail whack attack in Final Wars? But I guess if the fans prefer someone else, then it can't be helped, lol.
I like your way of thinking. It isn't going to kill the Showa Enthusiasts if we incorporate Monster X instead of Gabara or Ebirah. Sure, something from the olden days might be nostalgic, but if anything you should service the Final Wars crowd that hasn't seen jack shize aside from FW Gigan and the hybrid King Caeser.

And his hovering jump-combo would be an awseome move. Monster X is no slouch, and I'd absolutely love for him to be in the initial release. Besides, its not like he's permanently displacing another monster. We'll be getting expansions over time, and then you'll get your obscure Toho beasties. No sense it putting in someone like Kamoebas or Gezora over Monster X.

I hope I'm making sense here. Sure, Ebirah, Gabara, and all those little-knowns should be implemented, but if I were to choose them or Monster X for an initial release, I'd go with skull-and-bone-armor 9 out of 10 times.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Grayshot, could you give an update on which monsters have the most votes?
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Oasis_S wrote:Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Mothra
Anguirus
Rodan
Mechagodzilla
Gigan
Destoroyah
Megalon
Spacegodzilla
Hedorah
Monster X
(And for the last two that may not make it)
Zilla
...Baragon/Biollante, I can't decide.
I really like this list. I don't really care for Biollante or Baragon though. They're not essential and are obscure-ish. I think the first release should include the more popular monsters and most popular incarnation of said characters. So instead of having 2 Godzilla's, just have one. I'd personally like to see FW Godzilla get the position, or even Godzilla '75. Mechagodzilla should be in his Showa incarnation, (and his model could use some work). Anguirus would look good in his FW design. Gigan and Rodan should also stay in their Showa designs. Mothra could be in his Leo form or Rainbow form for a lot of weapons variety and Ghidorah should either Grand King Ghidorah or Showa Ghidorah. I'm also a little iffy on Monster X. Maybe replace him with someone more popular at the moment then release him in an expansion pack.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.