New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Legionmaster »

Chris55 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
-Jaws

HOW would that work?
*knock knock*

"Candygram!"
bleep bloop

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I haven't been on in a few days, so I'm going to put in my two cents on attacks I think were/weren't true to the character

Mechagodzilla 2
-Plasma grenade from torso WAS
(Fierce attack in StE)
-Eye lasers WERE NOT

Godzilla
-Bite move (->+Kick in GU) WAS
-Atomic fireball (tap weapon in all) WAS NOT

King Ghidorah
-Triple jumping stomp (Down+Kick) WAS
-Flying animation/sound/weapon WAS VERY GOOD IN StE

Mothra
-Larva spraying web in air for transformation (GU) WAS
-Cry for peace (Up+Fierce) WAS

Mechagodzilla 1
-Rocket fingers (Tap weapon) WAS
-Spinning head animatic during flame nose WASN'T, both seperately were good. If a shield is brought back have the spinning head.

Also, I liked the stances each monster had when you held A+B (I think this was for the attack in any direction at any time element that was cut) I think this should be kept but maybe auto-triggered when a monster gets close to you, example King Ceasar's ears flare up.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chris55 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
-Jaws

HOW would that work?
Deputing on the time to make the character Jaws could fight with his tail and mouth really. I just realized he couldn't be out of water though.

Ignore that post I was hipped up on all the Jaws fantasy matches lately and then this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDkqZ9px-Dc

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_7B5Sz ... re=related
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Supergeon wrote:I haven't been on in a few days, so I'm going to put in my two cents on attacks I think were/weren't true to the character

Mechagodzilla 2
-Plasma grenade from torso WAS
(Fierce attack in StE)
-Eye lasers WERE NOT

Godzilla
-Bite move (->+Kick in GU) WAS
-Atomic fireball (tap weapon in all) WAS NOT

King Ghidorah
-Triple jumping stomp (Down+Kick) WAS
-Flying animation/sound/weapon WAS VERY GOOD IN StE

Mothra
-Larva spraying web in air for transformation (GU) WAS
-Cry for peace (Up+Fierce) WAS

Mechagodzilla 1
-Rocket fingers (Tap weapon) WAS
-Spinning head animatic during flame nose WASN'T, both seperately were good. If a shield is brought back have the spinning head.
Awesome. This is very helpful.

I wonder - should I really consider eliminating Godzilla's Fireball tap weapon? It's not drawn from any specific film, but I thought it fit reasonably well. What's the general consensus?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I say get rid of the fireball and maybe add the pulse?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I always liked the fireball. But I always thought is should be blue, like he's just giving off a quick powerful burst of his atomic breath off (If it's not G2K)

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

miguelnuva wrote:-Jaws
Chris55 wrote: HOW would that work?
Seriously. Here's another case of a fan simply getting carried away with their "ideas" for this game, and failing to realize they literally make no sense.

Besides, how many licenses to people expect this project to be able to work with? There isn't going to be an infinite amount of funds to work with, and licensing monsters from Universal would be expensive as hell. Toho needs to be the focus, and if they say no, try Kadokawa and switch gears for a Gamera game instead.
Mr. Strange wrote:
I wonder - should I really consider eliminating Godzilla's Fireball tap weapon? It's not drawn from any specific film, but I thought it fit reasonably well. What's the general consensus?
Please don't. I find it extremely useful. It sets up tick-throws perfectly, and is extremely useful for zoning.

Mr. Strange, please don't let some of the bellyaching from people here about "accuracy" get to you. :D Some of the liberties taken are perfect for fighting games, and Godzilla's fireball is a great example of this.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

My main issue with the fireball attack is that it was orange, not blue. This made sense for Godzilla 2000, but not for Heisei Goji. I'd day keep it as an attack, but only on one incarnation of Godzilla (that way they can be more diversified).
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ Oh, yeah, good point. As long as he gets to keep it, I'll be a happy camper.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I would like to say, I am as much of a fan as all of you. I am the last person to get upset about liberties taken with a license. (aside from Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles...)

I was simply providing Simon with some information on what I felt captured a monster's essence from their film appearances.
The ability to have a hand in what is added to this game is neat, I feel like you are being submissive/dismissive of peoples ideas and just want to sit back and "take it" when this is a situation to actually have some impact! So please don't stifle our creative ideas. That being said....

I felt Megalon was a character that was best captured in all three games
-Flame ball GOOD I would like to see it have some impact when it hit the ground, and maybe get rid of the "area of effect" ring
-Fierce attack combo ending with purple energy shot (StE) GOOD

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Berzerkgodzilla wrote:I always liked the fireball. But I always thought is should be blue, like he's just giving off a quick powerful burst of his atomic breath off (If it's not G2K)
But it is important, from a balancing perspective, to give most monsters at least 4 good types of damage. All monsters have Blunt & Edged attacks (though some strongly favor one over the other) and then 1 additional damage type from their weapon. If they fight an opponent who strongly resists that damage type - it might be hard to balance them. 2 damage types makes it much easier to find a hole.

Ever wonder why Mechagodzilla II was so weak to Alien Energy? Because that was Gigan's beam type, and Gigan's "all-edged" melee attacks had a hard time with Mechagodzilla. Why did Godzilla have a fireball? Because it gave him an alternative method of damage when fighting enemies who resisted Nuclear damage.

One of the reasons I think Gabara might make a good "no weapon" Kaiju is because he has electrical damage as an option already.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I wasn't complaining about you Supergeon, just so you know. I don't consider you do be one of "them".

You're list is very much appreciated, actually. I was simply pointing out that the fireball is something that I would like to see stay, because it's a great tool for Godzilla in a fighting game, regardless of it not being something he did in the films.

I agree about Megalon. He was basically perfect, IMO. I'd personally like to see the his fireball work in a similar fashion as it did in the Pipeworks titles. How would you have it perform differently, Supergeon?

Mr Strange wrote: One of the reasons I think Gabara might make a good "no weapon" Kaiju is because he has electrical damage as an option already.
On snap! Simon talking about Gabara?! This is good. This is good.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

@Goji Okay, sorry for being overly defensive. It was kind of a call out to anyone who bashes ideas :-/
I would like to see Megalon's fireball have some type of explosive/concussive damage (think molotov cocktail). The ball itself has a hard exterior and inside it is the fiery napalm.

@Strange
Are you suggesting that all of Gabara's attacks would inflict electrical damage in lieu of a projectile? Very cool. Along the same lines could we have characters like Ebirah and Kamacuras have "Super Edged" or Gorosaurus having "Super Blunt" attacks that deal more damage than if a monster were simply weak to edged/blunt?

Ebirah
Weapon Button- For the duration of the weapon button being held Ebirah deals quick pinching hits that deal Super Edged damage, or Ebirah does not have a "hold" weapon attack and instead has only "tap" weapon attacks that would be some flourished attack.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Gabara would make a interesting fighter, and could be a potential....>.>...........Hedorah Killer.
Think about it within the game's weakness and strength balance terms.

Hedorah is pretty much poison and possibly Alien energy in terms of strength, but his weakness could be Electricity.
In Godzilla vs. Hedorah, the only way to truly take down Hedorah was to dry him out, and the military had created the Giant Electrodes to help deliver Hedorah's death sentence. As many of you know, the structure could discharge 3 million volts of electricity, which in the end was used to crush Hedorah's reign (Thanks to Godzilla of course). (Besides Kong after a power-up)Gabara is pretty much the only strange monster in the G-Franchise to use electricity in combat, and unlike Kong can discharge it in mostly any way at will when physically touching his target.

Hedorah is a overly tough opponent to combat due to his resistance to many forms of attack, but Gabara could potentially be one of the unique fighters who could possibly take down Hedorah with a balanced advantage. Well, I guess Gabara and any other monster who has any freezing attacks. (Hint, hint: Godzilla Legends #4, probably Kiryu? ;))

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

This has been an itch that I've wanted to scratch. What is everyone's opinion on the monsters from Space Amoeba? Personally I would love to see this group of misfit monsters make it into the game.

Kamoebas being the most feasible I would say due to his limited inclusion in Tokyo SOS (I think there is a picture of him fighting Godzilla in some stock footage). He would be neat somewhat like a slower Baragon with a stretchy neck!

http://tohokingdom.com/kaiju/kamoebas_mill.htm

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I've been pushing for Gezora from the beginning.
bleep bloop

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

I looked up gezora, ohhh, thats who that squid is, what movie is he from?

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Supergeon wrote:This has been an itch that I've wanted to scratch. What is everyone's opinion on the monsters from Space Amoeba? Personally I would love to see this group of misfit monsters make it into the game.

Kamoebas being the most feasible I would say due to his limited inclusion in Tokyo SOS (I think there is a picture of him fighting Godzilla in some stock footage). He would be neat somewhat like a slower Baragon with a stretchy neck!

http://tohokingdom.com/kaiju/kamoebas_mill.htm
Kamoebas, I think fans would support his inclusion (mainly due to the fact that he's the only Toho monster whose a tortoise/turtle kaiju. The only problem is giving him a decent moveset. Sure you could give him some attack strikes from the use of the monster's extending neck ability, but is there anything else?

Gezora is pretty much the only Space Amoeba who could be given a decent moveset without much trouble.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

@blackout
That's his draw, an extendable neck and hard jagged shell! Like I said he would be very similar to Baragon/anguirus a small scrappy monster. So you would have your shell attacks, claws and kicks then his neck attacks! I will make a move list when I get home!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Legionmaster wrote:I've been pushing for Gezora from the beginning.
Yeah, I'm all for it. At the very least, I think he should be included from the SPACE AMEOBA crew.

matrix wrote:I looked up gezora, ohhh, thats who that squid is, what movie is he from?
The main site is your friend.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/movies/space_amoeba.htm