New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: "Godzilla Game" Title Ideas

Post by Oasis_S »

I know this is "for the fans" and all, but is everyone else going to know what a "kaiju" is? Seems to me like that's not something you'd want in a title. Though I guess being an unusual word would gain a few curious looks.

I'm trying to think of something with "gather." It alludes to the gathering of monsters, but also the "collecting" aspect of the planned multiple releases. As you gather various licensed and original monsters by buying the games, you can gather them together and fight. And, y'know, gather your friends online to fight...

Godzilla Gathering (...Battle)? Kaiju ...Convergence?

Oh I know.

Monster aMASS Kickin'

"Hey dude, wanna play some AMASS tonight?"

Supergeon
Samurai

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Supergeon »

I think we should be given some type of "homework". What I mean by this is have us play GDAMM, STE, G:U and have whatever questions you are looking for to get some helpful information on what to keep/bring back. For some of us it might have been a while since we've played any of them.

I know this is probably more for when the project gets going. But maybe to put some structure to new conversation.

Example

1)Attacks
Do a few attacks blah blah. Please include what you thought about speed/animation.

2) Movement
Run and Jump, what did you think about the animation or landing/takeoff.

I'm not sure, seems like this information could be useful if people post it intelligently and in some sort of structured way, instead of saying "i dont like how G2K was so fast he was never fast why was he so fast" (meant this to sound like a normal complaint you would see on here) and then having 10 follow up posts on that one point.

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

Supergeon wrote:I think we should be given some type of "homework". What I mean by this is have us play GDAMM, STE, G:U and have whatever questions you are looking for to get some helpful information on what to keep/bring back. For some of us it might have been a while since we've played any of them.

I know this is probably more for when the project gets going. But maybe to put some structure to new conversation.

Example

1)Attacks
Do a few attacks blah blah. Please include what you thought about speed/animation.

2) Movement
Run and Jump, what did you think about the animation or landing/takeoff.

I'm not sure, seems like this information could be useful if people post it intelligently and in some sort of structured way, instead of saying "i dont like how G2K was so fast he was never fast why was he so fast" (meant this to sound like a normal complaint you would see on here) and then having 10 follow up posts on that one point.
I don't ever recall the MireGoji being that fast? :g2k:
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

I don't think we need any especially directed conversation at this point.

Here's what will happen - assuming we reach our funding goal, we have a set of forums almost ready to go live - which will become the main hub for discussion surrounding the game. I will set out sections to discuss each active area within the game - monsters, environments, hud, story, schedule, weapons, etc. Everyone who donates at least $5 will get a login to join those forums.

So discussion here can be free-wheeling and wild!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Mr. Strange wrote:So discussion here can be free-wheeling and wild!
So what is the chance that the winning kaiju in a battle will piss on the loser, Calvin style? :P
bleep bloop

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Depends on how much this guy costs.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

FUCK YES.

If you guys can make a Primal Rage pack, I will donate INSTANTLY.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jahgee »

If we get a Boxing Ring, can we also get an UFC Octagon?
One of Toho Kingdom's 2 resident NASCAR fans
There was a time where I was Admin

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I wonder if IDW will show this project any love with a shout out in the comics. That would be something worth looking into.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

I hope that we can start giving preview builds to contributors around September-Simon, does this mean beta starts around september, or you will release pics/a trailer for it around september?

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

matrix wrote:I hope that we can start giving preview builds to contributors around September-Simon, does this mean beta starts around september, or you will release pics/a trailer for it around september?
A lot of the questions you are asking have been answered already matrix. Not to be mean, but just do a little digging around.

September will be the soonest that contributors will receive a ROUGH build of the game in progress. Nothing has been stated for pictures or trailers. I'm assuming as contributors we will be under an NDA as far as posting or leaking information elsewhere or capturing video and putting it on other websites other than the projects private forums.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Supergeon wrote:
matrix wrote:I hope that we can start giving preview builds to contributors around September-Simon, does this mean beta starts around september, or you will release pics/a trailer for it around september?
A lot of the questions you are asking have been answered already matrix. Not to be mean, but just do a little digging around.

September will be the soonest that contributors will receive a ROUGH build of the game in progress. Nothing has been stated for pictures or trailers. I'm assuming as contributors we will be under an NDA as far as posting or leaking information elsewhere or capturing video and putting it on other websites other than the projects private forums.
So yes on beta in september? Thanks! PS ill keep digging!

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I'd like to touch on something that was brought up earlier on in the discussion. The idea that the more a monster gets hit may build a third meter probably a rage meter.

My idea is that as you get hit, the meter will spike at each hit instead of continuing to build incrementally akin to a Street Fighter super bar.

Each hit will make the meter spike more, so the attacking monster wants to deal damage but be wary of the rage meter. The defending monster wants to reduce the damage taken, but if they are in a tough spot they can take advantage of where their rage meter is at before it goes back down. Try to visualize each spike in the meter like trying to fill a meter by tapping a button as fast as possible, each second that you are not pressing the button it is already decreasing at a rapid rate right?

What will the defending monster be able to do as the meter fills? I propose that there are three sections of the meter and that the more the meter is filled the more options are available. Think Unholy War by Crystal Dynamics for PS1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tS6VPYCYc start viewing at 2:26

First section- A stronger or EX version of a normal attack

Second section- A unique advantage or buff. Defense/Health/Attack/Speed boost that would expire over time.

Third section- Rage attack such as Final Breath.

To avoid abuse/overuse of rage you may either need to trigger "rage gathering mode" somehow, and it would probably have to have a cooldown of sorts.

Any ideas to expand on this?

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Supergeon wrote:I'd like to touch on something that was brought up earlier on in the discussion. The idea that the more a monster gets hit may build a third meter probably a rage meter.

My idea is that as you get hit, the meter will spike at each hit instead of continuing to build incrementally akin to a Street Fighter super bar.

Each hit will make the meter spike more, so the attacking monster wants to deal damage but be wary of the rage meter. The defending monster wants to reduce the damage taken, but if they are in a tough spot they can take advantage of where their rage meter is at before it goes back down. Try to visualize each spike in the meter like trying to fill a meter by tapping a button as fast as possible, each second that you are not pressing the button it is already decreasing at a rapid rate right?

What will the defending monster be able to do as the meter fills? I propose that there are three sections of the meter and that the more the meter is filled the more options are available. Think Unholy War by Crystal Dynamics for PS1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tS6VPYCYc start viewing at 2:26

First section- A stronger or EX version of a normal attack

Second section- A unique advantage or buff. Defense/Health/Attack/Speed boost that would expire over time.

Third section- Rage attack such as Final Breath.

To avoid abuse/overuse of rage you may either need to trigger "rage gathering mode" somehow, and it would probably have to have a cooldown of sorts.

Any ideas to expand on this?
This could work, but you also have to consider the attacking player's desire to utilize a rage move during his assault. The way you explained the rage mechanics made it sound as if it's the defense trump card. The offensive player also needs a way to build up his rage meter as well. If the player is that good (playing to the point where he can easily score several consecutive victories without taking damage himself), and if the rage meter is built by receiving damage, how is the offensive player to raise the meter?
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Good bring up. I was hoping to start some conversation on this tonight.

Maybe the rage will be half blue and half red, when on the offensive it spikes towards the red side and gives you offensive options
Lvl 1 EX attack Lvl 2 Attack speed boost, Attack damage boost Lvl 3 Rage
..and on the defensive it tends towards the blue
Lvl 1 Quick dodge Lvl 2 Beam defense boost, Melee defense boost Lvl 3 Rage

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Supergeon wrote:Good bring up. I was hoping to start some conversation on this tonight.

Maybe the rage will be half blue and half red, when on the offensive it spikes towards the red side and gives you offensive options
Lvl 1 EX attack Lvl 2 Attack speed boost, Attack damage boost Lvl 3 Rage
..and on the defensive it tends towards the blue
Lvl 1 Quick dodge Lvl 2 Beam defense boost, Melee defense boost Lvl 3 Rage
:eh:
Soooo...it's possible that there could be 2 rage moves; offense vs. defense rage moves?

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I guess so? Maybe the defensive rage could include limited invulnerability time (starman from mario), I would say G2K's atomic shockwave rage could be considered a defensive rage with all of the push back. It is 12:32am where I'm at so I am not necessarily in the best thinking mode right now (long work day, followed by another long work day!)

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I think the word "Clash" gets across the idea of monsters coming together, and even hints at the loophole of mixing and matching monster packages. I like the sound of "Clash of the Monsters." If you play around with it, you can get stuff like "Worldwide Monster Clash" which A. Helps it sound less like Clash of the Titans, B. plays up the online aspect, and C. Hints at a wide world of monsters, not just Toho creatures/Japanese monsters.

And I agree, I'd prefer to avoid using the word kaiju in the title. It's just going to sound like otaku nonsense to anyone outside the super hard-core Japanese sci-fi/fantasy fan community--which ideally we'll be able to tap into for donations and to foster a healthy online community when the game launches.
Haters gonna hate

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Supergeon wrote:I guess so? Maybe the defensive rage could include limited invulnerability time (starman from mario), I would say G2K's atomic shockwave rage could be considered a defensive rage with all of the push back. It is 12:32am where I'm at so I am not necessarily in the best thinking mode right now (long work day, followed by another long work day!)
Didn't MKG have that in Save the Earth? Of course, my memory could be a bit rusty.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Clash is a good word. I really like it at the beginning - not so strong at the end.

"Clash of the Kaiju" is totally good. Or just "Clash of Kaiju"

"Clash of Monsters" is also pretty sweet.

I'm not sure I agree that avoiding "Kaiju" is a good idea - I have mixed feelings. It's certainly up for debate!

I think my top three options right now are:

1 - Kaiju Combat
2 - Clash of Monsters
3 - Monster Apocolypse