New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Mr. Strange »

Blackout286 wrote:Mr. Strange, I have one question to ask. I understand that monsters can't be film accurate although I would like to know if possible changes could be done to help reach that near accurate level. Just small but appealing changes.
We'll be getting feedback from all contributors on each model. If you care about cosmetic things, make sure you contribute, and participate in the feedback forums!

jdude1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by jdude1996 »

mr strange, you could have kamicuras' camouflage be completely invisible when he doesn't move but wen he does he slowly starts to come out of camouflage, kind of like the camouflage ability in halo.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Simon, during development on the other games did you ever have beam battles being decided by button mashing? If you are able to talk about it what methods did/didn't work?

Also, a question of mine was featured in the podcasts about Hedorah. You said that you didn't want to do it if you couldn't make it a fluid monster. Is this something you have thought about? What kind of things could be done to bring him to the game?

Is the spigot engine the exact same build that G:U ran on? Will the visuals be much better now that it will be on PC?

To elaborate on an earlier post (Brianzilla?) Have you played Godzilla Generations? That game was based on destruction, so that was obviously something that it had to do well. What complications could arise from having such a dynamic destruction system?

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Supergeon wrote:Simon, during development on the other games did you ever have beam battles being decided by button mashing? If you are able to talk about it what methods did/didn't work?

Is the spigot engine the exact same build that G:U ran on? Will the visuals be much better now that it will be on PC?

To elaborate on an earlier post (Brianzilla?) Have you played Godzilla Generations? That game was based on destruction, so that was obviously something that it had to do well. What complications could arise from having such a dynamic destruction system?
Spigot is the proprietary enigine that Pipeworks has been using for all of its games for 10 years. Take a look at the Deadliest Warrior (XBLA, PSN) for a recent example of it in action.

However, I think people should be prepared for visuals somewhat *worse* than G:U. I'm planning to make the best game I can make for the money we raise - but my focus is on great monsters, great combat, and wide appeal. I will almost certainly not be spending $300,000 on city art, or $250,000 on a snazzy Menu system. I also want the game to run great on lots of older systems - so I really have no interest in pushing polygon counts, or per-pixel shaders, or any of that. We'll have great monsters, and fantastic online combat. That is the focus.

As for "button mashing" determining the victor of a beam fight - it's no good. I spoke about it at length during our grappling discussion a week back or so. In short, let me explain the problem:

Button mashing is not a measure of "who can mash the button faster" but rather "who knows to start mashing the button first." This makes it a mechanic in which people who know the game well just dominate everyone else - which means that in most matches one person will just always win every beam fight. This teaches new players "never use beams."

Against the AI, the problems get even worse. The AI can crush you in a mash-speed contest, every time. So we need to specifically town down the mash-rate the AI uses. But this simply sets a bar which determines whether you, as a player, will always beat the AI in a beam fight, or always lose. Neither option is much fun.

Beam fights need to be risky. A skill-based test eliminates that risk, and makes beam-fights very one-sided. That is no good. Thus, beam fights need to be determined in large part by luck.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

How did I double-post? I must be developing strange powers...

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I edited my post with a question about Hedorah, probably while you were responding. He wasn't included in the game because you guys didn't want to do him badly because the engine cant handle a fluid skeleton. What can be done to get around this and get him into the game.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

I'm perfectly ok with Hedorah getting hit by attacks just like everyone else and whatnot. So long as he's there.
bleep bloop

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

The issue with Hedorah was that I wanted his skeleton to morph dynamically into his different forms. I would solve that problem by not wanting his skeleton to morph. That means he'd just have the one fighting form - problem solved.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Here's an odd question, would anyone find a First Person Mode interesting? Kinda like what they've done with the AVP games.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by miguelnuva »

miguelnuva wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Destroyer wrote: Ultraman
Gamera
Legion
Um, the first one isn't happening. Ever. In fact it's part of the reason I keep saying Zone Fighter, since he's the closest thing we have to UM. The latter two will never happen. Period.
I thought we were going to try and use a loophole to get these guys in, but if it was a choice between Zone Fighter and Ultraman Zone gets my vote.
Unfortunately for us, if Mr. Frank and Mr. Strange used that loophole, Toho could very well pull the plug.[/quote]

ABout this TOHO might pull the plug where did this idea of come from and do we know for 100% that TOHO still feels this way?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

skuzzy-punk-kid wrote: Unfortunately for us, if Mr. Frank and Mr. Strange used that loophole, Toho could very well pull the plug.
It's not a loophole - it's not a deception, and it's not something that gets anybody in trouble.

Imagine somebody wanted to do a fanfic crossover between Star Wars and Batman - to sell it commercially, they would need to get permission from LucasArts and DC - that sounds like a nightmare. Trying to make a game, or a movie, which used Ultraman & Godzilla would be like that.

However, LEGO has made Batman legos in association with DC. They have also made Star Wars legos in association with LucasArts. Two totally different products - there is no crossover.

Of course, if you buy both sets, you can totally play with them together. That is acceptable, and doesn't upset anybody. The point is that each purchased item is its own IP, so the rights are clear.

If you want to buy Coke and Pepsi and then mix them, you're totally within your rights. But if Coke were to sell Pepsi - that would be totally different.

The point is - there is no trick. I'm just proposing that we make a Gamera game, an Ultraman game, a Zone Fighter game, a Godzilla game, an original monsters game - as many as we want. And I'm promising that they will all use the same basic technology, so that players will be able to combine data. But at no point am I ever planning, or implying, that TOHO's intellectual property would ever be mixed with another IP in a commercial product.

Deep breaths - it's all on the level.

Brianzilla2004
Samurai

Post by Brianzilla2004 »

Mr. Strange wrote:
Supergeon wrote:However, I think people should be prepared for visuals somewhat *worse* than G:U. I'm planning to make the best game I can make for the money we raise - but my focus is on great monsters, great combat, and wide appeal. I will almost certainly not be spending $300,000 on city art, or $250,000 on a snazzy Menu system. I also want the game to run great on lots of older systems - so I really have no interest in pushing polygon counts, or per-pixel shaders, or any of that. We'll have great monsters, and fantastic online combat. That is the focus.
Honestly, this worries me. I'm not expecting Crysis here, but making the game look equal to or potentially ever "somewhat worse" than a 4.5-year-old Wii game? Now THAT'S a crisis. A lot of games have various graphical settings, and can run well on low-end PC's while offering quality graphics on higher settings. I'd argue that having a nice presentation is important too. If the menu system looks like something someone made with MS Paint, that's a serious problem. I've never played a game that was any good that had a shoddy menu scheme.

Yes, the gameplay is the most important thing, but if the game's gonna look like it's ten years old, I might as well just play a game that's actually ten years old, that I don't need to pay for additional content for.

Considering that this is a game that will be entirely funded by the fans, it seems like solid visuals would be a top concern. There's a reason AAA titles always look great. There's a reason that a lot of more obscure games are more fun to play, despite their lackluster visuals. People want to be wowed visually. They want to be impressed with what their money is paying for.

As a lifelong fan of Godzilla, I want the Big G to get the all-star treatment he deserves. I want him to wow and dazzle fans and non-fans alike on the PC. I think we as fans have put up with enough crap from people criticizing the franchise. Making an ugly game makes the series look bad. We fans deserve to better. The King of the Monsters deserves it.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

You guys might be surprised at what 4-5 year old games made for other systems look like on my reasonably priced PC. High-res polys and texture maps go a LONG ways. Early gen 360 and PS3 games relied on it. And for consoles? I could point to how the MGS, Shadow of the Colossus, and God of War re-releases have looked with some minor upgrades, again, mostly in the high-res department, which any comp can do.

Just sayin'.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

skuzzy-punk-kid
Monarch Researcher

Post by skuzzy-punk-kid »

My mistake...

Actually, what Mr. Strange said, that makes much more sense. Wish I was fast enough to think of that outcome...
What :g2k:is :g2k:so :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:wrong :g2k:with :g2k:the :g2k:frikkin' :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:?
The :g2k:G2K :g2k:smiley :g2k:is :g2k:not :g2k:causing :g2k:you :g2k:any :g2k:freakin' :g2k:harm :g2k:!!!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Even though it's not deception or illegal I still like calling it a loophole. :D
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Okay just updated it again so eveyone above this post, your votes are taken into account. Mr.Strange if you have any suggestions, changes or anything else you want to add to this thread, notify me and I will implement them. This is to make your job easier so just ask.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I forgot to add Kamacuras and Manda to my list before, so you can add two more votes for them too.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

PopInPicsPresents wrote: Here's an odd question, would anyone find a First Person Mode interesting? Kinda like what they've done with the AVP games.
First person is a horrible, horrible idea for a fighting game.
Mr. Strange wrote:The issue with Hedorah was that I wanted his skeleton to morph dynamically into his different forms. I would solve that problem by not wanting his skeleton to morph. That means he'd just have the one fighting form - problem solved.
That's fine with me. Like LGM said, as long as he's there, I'm a happy camper. :)

G:STE looks fantastic when played in 480p on the Xbox 360. I would be totally fine with a game that looked like that, or even slightly worse.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

jdude1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by jdude1996 »

mr strange, can you make it that we can go wherever we want on a map like in War of the Monsters instead of only going to another part of the map if your enemy comes there with you. This can also help with this kamicuras camouflage ability as the player will always know where he is, also like I said before, I would like it if kamicuras can turn completely invisible but when he starts moving, he slowly starts to come out of the camouflage like in the game Halo, and he can also have a time limit for being invisible and like another person said, a really long recharge for it.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I would like to see if Toho has a sound archive from other parts of their movies like punches landing, jets and ufo sounds. The older ones might make the game sound cheesy, it might be something to use sparingly.

Its crazy how sounds are made for videogames, I watched a developer diary and they used celery and a watermelon to make bones crunching!