New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Re: (Possible) Matt Frank & Simon Strange Monster's Tally/Vo

Post by Oasis_S »

Grayshot954 wrote:^No hey dude that was just like a baseline for how many monsters sine their are going to be alot in the game and I wanted everyones submissions to be somewhat close.
Well, alright, NEW LIST THEN:

1. Godzilla (Final Wars)
2. Anguirus (Showa)
3. Rodan (Heisei)
4. Megalon
5. King Ghidorah (GMK)
6. Mecha-King Ghidorah
7. Destoroyah
8. Orga
9. Kiryu
10. Mothra (SOS)
11. Baragon (GMK)
12. Spacegodzilla
13. Megaguirus
14. Moguera (Heisei)
15. Jet Jaguar
16. Biollante
17. King Caesar (Final Wars)
18. Titanosaurus
19. Varan
20. Obsidius
21. Krystalak
22. Gigan (Final Wars)
23. Hedorah (Showa)
24. Battra
25. Zilla
26. Monster X
27. Ebirah (Final Wars)
28. Gabara
29. Manda (Final Wars)
30. Gorosaurus
31. Kamacuras (Final Wars)
32. Kumonga (Final Wars)
...33. Bagan

...I really don't like having multiple incarnations of one monster, and personally I would want them cut (except maybe MKG) if it means more NEW monsters (variety!), but if that's really what fans want then it can't be helped. I also only really care about Godzilla monsters, so I don't have any monsters from other series.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Your Movesets For Monsters In The New Kaiju Game

Post by Spuro »

hammysammy59 wrote:Doesn't Manda have like, little tiny baby arms? T-Rex style? I feel like his whole move set should revolve around constricting, coiling, biting, head-butting and tail slapping. The only way I could see him using his limbs in combat without it looking hilarious would be to slice and claw an opponent he's already wrapped around.
They could always increase his arm length, like how they completely changed the back legs of Anguirus and Baragon.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by matrix »

Mr. Strange, I think online play will add replay value, put this also will, what if like super smash bros melee, you have to do a ton of battles in vs. mode to unlock some characters? Like, do 100 battles to unlock Titanosaurus, is this a good idea?

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Interesting question - do people like:

A+Up,
A+Down,
A+Left,
A+Right,

as the basis for triggering different attack moves? Alternatively, we could let button sequences play out as different attacks, or button combinations for different attacks.

We could also try a contextual system (more like the Batman games) where the attack is selected based on proximity to your opponent.

Do people like tap / hold for different ranged attacks?

We could even try tap / hold on attack buttons, for different variations.

How about blocking? I'm not sure it really makes sense in a Kaiju game...

How about ducking? Do we need it? Should it be more useful? Do we like keeping special duck attacks?

While I'm questioning everything - do we need jumping? Flight, sure. But there haven't been many "jumps" performed in suits in the movies...

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

matrix wrote:Mr. Strange, I think online play will add replay value, put this also will, what if like super smash bros melee, you have to do a ton of battles in vs. mode to unlock some characters? Like, do 100 battles to unlock Titanosaurus, is this a good idea?
We've discussed this some - I don't like locking important content. I do like locking optional content, but I feel strongly that it needs to be unlocked via a points system, and points need to be earned for multiplayer games as well as single.

Right now, I feel like alternate versions of characters would be a good thing to unlock via points. Cool, but not necessary to test out how the various characters play.

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

Will money from Kickstarter be the only thing that keeps fresh content coming or will revenue from the game be reinvested in the project to some extent?

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

I love unlocking things with points, its my favorite way, but I think stuff should cost a lot like in Godzilla: Save the Earth, I love trying to get points to buy new monsters!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

matrix wrote:I love unlocking things with points, its my favorite way, but I think stuff should cost a lot like in Godzilla: Save the Earth, I love trying to get points to buy new monsters!
I don't! :freak:
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Mr. Strange wrote:Interesting question - do people like:

A+Up,
A+Down,
A+Left,
A+Right,

as the basis for triggering different attack moves?
Yes. This kind of setup is the most user-friendly, as I believe we are still planning for the game to support a few different controls. Soul Calibur II tried to get around this by giving each type of movement its own letter code, and then having that letter code able to be mapped out to either a GCN, PS2, or X-Box controller. It was a pain in the ass to understand and follow. Directions simplify that A LOT, because part of the combination uses a shared input (even for a keyboard).
We could also try a contextual system (more like the Batman games) where the attack is selected based on proximity to your opponent.
Bluh, not in a fighting game. There are a few such moves in GU, and it gets really annoying in a melee when you want to use one attack and you do another instead.
Do people like tap / hold for different ranged attacks?
Yes, because there is a vast difference between tapping and holding for an extended period of time.
We could even try tap / hold on attack buttons, for different variations.
This I'm less crazy about, unless it's used sort of how Soul Calibur uses it, where an attack animation is slowed/delayed if you hold the button. That might be ok.
How about blocking? I'm not sure it really makes sense in a Kaiju game...
I would agree, but I think it's hard to have a fighting game with no blocking. Otherwise, wouldn't the person who just attacks like a maniac just win every time? My instincts is to have blocking reduce damage and knockback, but not eliminate either. That way, you can't stall someone out by just blocking, but you can also stave off a potentially unfair onslaught of attacks and escape (like getting ganged up on in a melee).
How about ducking? Do we need it? Should it be more useful? Do we like keeping special duck attacks?
Was there ducking in GU? I don't think so, and I didn't miss it if it wasn't there.
While I'm questioning everything - do we need jumping? Flight, sure. But there haven't been many "jumps" performed in suits in the movies...
Yes, we need a way to avoid sweep attacks and hit monsters that are flying. Not nearly as insane as the jumping in GU, but the GDAMM model works fine. Could bring back jump attacks too, which I liked.
bleep bloop

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Supergeon wrote:Will money from Kickstarter be the only thing that keeps fresh content coming or will revenue from the game be reinvested in the project to some extent?
Kickstarter is only funding the first release - how big that release is depends upon how much money we collect!

My idea is to charge (very little) for the game, but re-invest all of the profits into making new content. That new conent will then less for (very little) and fund even more content, and so forth.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

Ahhh! Please dont make it like batman, I love the normal godzilla games, this game sounds so fun, but keep fighting around the same please, thanks!

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

You've hit upon one of my pet issues...
Legionmaster wrote: I would agree, but I think it's hard to have a fighting game with no blocking. Otherwise, wouldn't the person who just attacks like a maniac just win every time?
Ah, you have some assumptions at work here - assumptions which I specifically don't like to buy into.

Your first assumption is that a monster being hit by an attack cannot do an attack at the same time. This is a limitation of 2D engines, but not a limit in the Godzilla games.

Consider this thought experiment - I give monsters light & heavy attacks. Light attacks deal good dps (damage per second). Heavy attacks have higher damage per attack, but lower dps. Heavy attacks also knock the opponent around a bit, but don't knock them prone automatically. But when two heavy attacks collide, we select one (or more) monster to knock prone.

Now let's make a table of situations between two monsters: A and B.

A - standing still, B - light attack : in this case, B is doing huge dps to A.
A - standing still, B - heavy attack : in this case, B is doing damage to A, but less damage than light attacks would do.
A - light attack, B - light attack : in this case, both monsters are dealing significant dps. Catfight!
A - light attack, B - heavy attack : in this case, B knocks A away, so A doesn't land enough hits to out-damage B's attack.
A - heavy attack, B - light attack : the reverse of the above.
A - heavy attack, B - heavy attack: in this case, both monsters deal damage, but we select prone knockdowns for one or both monsters. Heavy attacks would have R-P-S properties (like in G:StE) to determine which attacks beat which.

So, overall we see that heavy attacks beat light attacks, but light attacks are better if not retaliated against.

Just a thought.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

But its still not like batman right?

Supergeon
Samurai

Post by Supergeon »

I think one of the things I am most excited about is Matt's art. The best Godzilla artists are Matt Frank, Bob Eggleton, and Noriyoshi Ohrai.

I am picturing the coolest character select screen, awesome logo and "box art". I would like to see some retro movie poster pictures drawn to promote the game down the line.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Mr. Strange wrote:You've hit upon one of my pet issues...
Legionmaster wrote: I would agree, but I think it's hard to have a fighting game with no blocking. Otherwise, wouldn't the person who just attacks like a maniac just win every time?
Ah, you have some assumptions at work here - assumptions which I specifically don't like to buy into.

Your first assumption is that a monster being hit by an attack cannot do an attack at the same time. This is a limitation of 2D engines, but not a limit in the Godzilla games.

Consider this thought experiment - I give monsters light & heavy attacks. Light attacks deal good dps (damage per second). Heavy attacks have higher damage per attack, but lower dps. Heavy attacks also knock the opponent around a bit, but don't knock them prone automatically. But when two heavy attacks collide, we select one (or more) monster to knock prone.

Now let's make a table of situations between two monsters: A and B.

A - standing still, B - light attack : in this case, B is doing huge dps to A.
A - standing still, B - heavy attack : in this case, B is doing damage to A, but less damage than light attacks would do.
A - light attack, B - light attack : in this case, both monsters are dealing significant dps. Catfight!
A - light attack, B - heavy attack : in this case, B knocks A away, so A doesn't land enough hits to out-damage B's attack.
A - heavy attack, B - light attack : the reverse of the above.
A - heavy attack, B - heavy attack: in this case, both monsters deal damage, but we select prone knockdowns for one or both monsters. Heavy attacks would have R-P-S properties (like in G:StE) to determine which attacks beat which.

So, overall we see that heavy attacks beat light attacks, but light attacks are better if not retaliated against.

Just a thought.
I think it's also sort of a psychological issue. I don't want to not have the ability to resist attacks. I don't want to mostly be forced to take whatever attacks are coming at me. I'll use your chart up there as an example. If I'm performing a light attack and see a heavy attack coming at me, based on your chart, I know I'm boned. But, if I'm quick enough, I can stop my faster attacks and block, preventing heavy attacks from beating my light attacks every single time. Otherwise, I'm just going to wail on you with heavy attacks, and the only downside seems to be that I may get knocked down. Not to mention, if I'm a monster with weaker attack power, there's almost no way I'm going to be able to get an advantage without relying solely on heavy attacks. I'm just wary of a fighting system that offers little defensive strategy beyond "move" and "hit back harder."
bleep bloop

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Ya know, I did like the parry function in GU, except for Orga and Biollante. They looked silly doing the block function, and the computer did it all...the shreeonk...time!

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

I think RIBBON DANCING would be a good place to find inspiration for Manda's moveset. It'd really be a shame to focus on his arms and legs.

I like the idea of Manda, almost BECAUSE he would be so hard to work with. Just trying to MAKE HIM WORK could turn out a really interesting character/playstyle. I was thinking, because he's such a slender monster, that it would be really hard to actually land attacks on him. But maybe that should be the idea? He could be a "hit-and-run" type of character, which I think would fit really well, since controlling that long body as it runs away and turns around COULD look really nice if he's animated well. Obviously, he'd be very fragile. Maybe even the MOST fragile monster.

How exactly would he even move though? I don't even like to think of that sluggish Manda in Destroy All Monsters. Manda is a marine monster, and I think reflecting that part of his character should take precedence over accuracy. That is, his movements on land should look as though he's "swimming" through the air. When ever he's still, or maybe even just walking (but not running), he could stand on his feet and walk with them I suppose. How exactly he should stand, I'm not sure. In a coiled up manner? Maybe something like this?: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/43 ... _thumb.jpg

Would it be POSSIBLE for him to wrap around opponents as his grab? And if that's his grab, how will he pick up buildings (or rocks)? I guess if he WERE counted as a small, fragile character, then being able to pick up only SMALL objects with his mouth might work?

I see some difficulty with his inclusion, but it could be well worth it.

Oh, and I feel sorry for whoever has to animate Manda, lol.

And about no blocking... Where do beam attacks work into that table? Without blocking, wouldn't you just have to TAKE those? Is that... the point? Trying to make it more like the movies?

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Oasis_S wrote:And about no blocking... Where do beam attacks work into that table? Without blocking, wouldn't you just have to TAKE those? Is that... the point? Trying to make it more like the movies?
Well, right now if players block beams they take half damage. I might ask, why make players wait 5 seconds, both immobile, to deal a set amount of damage?

But not blocking doesn't mean you can't respond, just as not blocking doesn't mean you can't respond to a heavy attack. It just means your response is something more active. A charging headbutt, for example.

matrix
Monsterland Worker

Post by matrix »

So, are you making blocking or not? (I think you should)

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

Kind of don't like the idea of Manda biting his tail and rolling, but I guess my idea of what is and isn't MANDA-LIKE is different.

Since I already made suggestions for my favorite monster, Gabara, may as well make a few suggestions for my OTHER favorite: Obsidius!
I wish I was still able to play Unleashed to find this out, but did Obsidius have any special ability? I saw something that said he could burrow underground, but I don't remember that. I DO LIKE THAT IDEA THOUGH, and I would suggest that when he returns to the surface, it's as though he causes a huge eruption. Would probably cost a lot of energy. I think it would be unlike what the other DIGGERS do, and it would be very visually striking as well. Since he is a WALKING VOLCANO, I think it would play very well into his character. Also, maybe a projectile where he spat out a glob of hot lava on the ground would be nice, but at the same time that's pretty similar to Megalon. Maybe a projectile where some volcanic bombs ERUPT from his mouth as he looks up, providing an attack that harms monsters in the surrounding area.

Now for more trivial stuff: Is it too much to ask for him to get more original roars? It doesn't even matter that much, but maybe toy with the pitch and duration a bit, and add effects to it like BUBBLING LAVA or ROCKS KNOCKING TOGETHER just to give it more of an individual feel. Just something that doesn't sound so STOCK. Also, assuming the "power surge" thing does not return, I think Obsidius's LOOK in that form should become part of his normal design. The glowing lava in the cracks of his body is a very nice touch, and really it looks rather strange that it doesn't glow while in his normal state. I don't remember how great the lighting system was in Unleashed, but if Obsidius actually appeared to glow in nighttime levels, that would be an even better touch.