Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 am

JVM wrote:
The Horn Katana is very well balanced if it's used when you have the energy cells to pay for it - that's the only time the AI will use it, so it's not an issue when playing vs. AI.

The bug is that when you have no energy instead of getting NO horn katana, you get EXTRA STRONG horn katana. And since it only happens when you have no energy, you can just do it over and over. I'm very sorry for introducing that bug. Mea Culpa.

Ahh, I see. What kind of design process got that through? Was it a side-effect of changing something else? I'm actually very curious what caused it on a technical level.

It's just a simple scripting error on my part. The intended script (C-like) should be something like this:

WHEN (trigger HK)
IF (energy > 0.4) then
enable HK
ELSE
enable weak_HK
END
END

But instead it's implemented like this:

WHEN (trigger HK)
enable HK
IF (energy < 0.4) then
enable weak_HK
END
END

So instead of selecting one weapon (regular HK or weak HK, which does 1 damage and produces no reaction) you get BOTH weapons in the low-energy case. Another bit of code says that if you are hit by two attacks at the same time, you are knocked down. (This was in to allow for effective gang-up strategies in 2v1 fights). So since this produces 2 weapons simultaneously, it always triggers that instant knock-down, which locks you into a perpetual loop.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Is it true that this game is unfinished?

That's not true.

It is fair to say that every project ever could still be improved - but in reality that never happens. No book, song, play, movie, painting, or video game is ever "finished" in the sense that 100% of everyone involved in the creation is satisfied with it.

G:U was fully vetted and approved for release, just like any standard game. Yes, I would have like to have more time to polish it, but I felt the same way with G:DAMM. That's not any indication that the game is "unfinished" in any sense of the word. In fact, our original schedule for G:U included only 16 monsters - though we had "expanded" plans to increase that number to 20, 22, 24 or even 26. At the end, we hit our maximum number of 26 - which means absolutely every monster we tried to get into the game was implemented.

CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent

Postby CheetoKamper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:39 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
g2vd wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Is it true that this game is unfinished?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk

This doesn't affect me.

Nobody cares.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

JVM
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JVM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:01 am

Compared to the other games the combat just feels slower and less smooth.

Interesting thought. It definitely feels a lot slower than DAMM for sure, but I always thought DAMM was the one that was too fast, personally.

It's just a simple scripting error on my part. The intended script (C-like) should be something like this:

WHEN (trigger HK)
IF (energy > 0.4) then
enable HK
ELSE
enable weak_HK
END
END

But instead it's implemented like this:

WHEN (trigger HK)
enable HK
IF (energy < 0.4) then
enable weak_HK
END
END

So instead of selecting one weapon (regular HK or weak HK, which does 1 damage and produces no reaction) you get BOTH weapons in the low-energy case. Another bit of code says that if you are hit by two attacks at the same time, you are knocked down. (This was in to allow for effective gang-up strategies in 2v1 fights). So since this produces 2 weapons simultaneously, it always triggers that instant knock-down, which locks you into a perpetual loop.

This is really interesting -- thanks for sharing! Shame it wasn't possible to patch the game.

That's not true.

It is fair to say that every project ever could still be improved - but in reality that never happens. No book, song, play, movie, painting, or video game is ever "finished" in the sense that 100% of everyone involved in the creation is satisfied with it.

G:U was fully vetted and approved for release, just like any standard game. Yes, I would have like to have more time to polish it, but I felt the same way with G:DAMM. That's not any indication that the game is "unfinished" in any sense of the word. In fact, our original schedule for G:U included only 16 monsters - though we had "expanded" plans to increase that number to 20, 22, 24 or even 26. At the end, we hit our maximum number of 26 - which means absolutely every monster we tried to get into the game was implemented.

I've always been fairly proud of GU's roster and how much it expanded on the previous games, considering the initial number of sxiteen was really disappointing to me.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby KaijuX » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:58 am

Ah yes, glitches. I remember the good ol' days of breaking through the barrier as G2K or Gigan and going to the volcano. That was awesome. ;)

Not sure how many people know, but from what I've heard, Megalon has a new attack he can use while burrowing. How do you use that attack?
TK's Resident Wumbo
UltimateDitto wrote:^ Ya gotta have muscles on your eyeballs!

Birdman wrote:It's actually happening, isn't it?

GVJ is finally getting a promotion.

"If you can't take the edge, that's okay." -KaijuX

Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Strange » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:27 pm

KaijuX wrote:Ah yes, glitches. I remember the good ol' days of breaking through the barrier as G2K or Gigan and going to the volcano. That was awesome. ;)

Not sure how many people know, but from what I've heard, Megalon has a new attack he can use while burrowing. How do you use that attack?

I put in a "landshark" attack for Megalon - he flies out of the ground at an angle, then angles back into the ground. I believe you just jump while burrowing to activate it.

My memory may not be correct here - I changed the implementation of that attack several times.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:57 pm

@Cheetokamper Being cheeky M8?

OT:I am liking that landshark attack you made.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.

http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent

Postby CheetoKamper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:17 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:@Cheetokamper Being cheeky M8?

Nah bruh

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 am

Someone who's never played an actual human player in this game has no context for why Destoroyah's glitched Horn is a problem, so to say that "it doesn't affect me" is just pointing out the obvious. It's not going to affect you because the CPU is never going to do it to you, so obviously, it's a non issue in single player.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Postby Arbok » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:56 pm

Goji wrote:Someone who's never played an actual human player in this game has no context for why Destoroyah's glitched Horn is a problem, so to say that "it doesn't affect me" is just pointing out the obvious. It's not going to affect you because the CPU is never going to do it to you, so obviously, it's a non issue in single player.

True... to be fair, though, he became my sister's favorite character because of it, and she loved the game. :lol:

It's hard to ignore that it does through the game's balance out of whack, sadly...
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Godzilla Lover101
Futurian

Postby Godzilla Lover101 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:08 am

The lack of Class Controller (CCP) support deeply saddens me.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:38 am

Godzilla Lover101 wrote:The lack of Class Controller (CCP) support deeply saddens me.

Same, the wii mote was just to much of a pain in the ass to use to make it enjoyable imo

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:59 am

I don't think the control scheme was quite as bad as some people made it out to be (a lot of people are just lazy, and impatient) but it was a little overly ambitious, and after a while, made you long for a traditional controller. People always say that "An Xbox 360 port would have solved this", but the game was built from the ground up on the Wii with that control scheme, so it wouldn't have been as simple as simply porting it over.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:15 pm

Goji wrote:I don't think the control scheme was quite as bad as some people made it out to be (a lot of people are just lazy, and impatient) but it was a little overly ambitious, and after a while, made you long for a traditional controller. People always say that "An Xbox 360 port would have solved this", but the game was built from the ground up on the Wii with that control scheme, so it wouldn't have been as simple as simply porting it over.

Honestly I think it would have been better on the 360 than on the wii.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:26 am

Goji wrote:I don't think the control scheme was quite as bad as some people made it out to be (a lot of people are just lazy, and impatient) but it was a little overly ambitious, and after a while, made you long for a traditional controller. People always say that "An Xbox 360 port would have solved this", but the game was built from the ground up on the Wii with that control scheme, so it wouldn't have been as simple as simply porting it over.

Yeah, sure, they're just lazy :roll:
Naw, what pissed a lot of people off was how annoying it was to get the monster to use the correct move with a simple flick of the wrist.

Sure, maybe it would have been better on a different console, but remember, it WAS released on the PlayStation... and although I've never played that version, it didn't look too different from the G:STE gameplay
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:28 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote:

Naw, what pissed a lot of people off was how annoying it was to get the monster to use the correct move with a simple flick of the wrist.

Sure, maybe it would have been better on a different console, but remember, it WAS released on the PlayStation... and although I've never played that version, it didn't look too different from the G:STE gameplay

It is EXACTLY like STE's gameplay, but without rage attacks and air strike. Also, they skreeonked up the throws for some monsters, when you throw someone they'll immediately hit the ground. Health and energy pickups are replaced with crystals.

CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent

Postby CheetoKamper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Young Guy wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:

It is EXACTLY like STE's gameplay, but without rage attacks and air strike. Also, they skreeonked up the throws for some monsters, when you throw someone they'll immediately hit the ground. Health and energy pickups are replaced with crystals.

That's just the ps2 version brah.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Postby cmdmstudios » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:13 pm

CheetoKamper wrote:
Young Guy wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Yeah, sure, they're just lazy :roll:

That's just the ps2 version brah.

I believe he was just referring to the PS2 version, seeing how that Lain Of The Wired said he hadn't played that version, but thought it looked very similar to it.

Off Topic, but this makes my 420 post. #420BlazeIt (just for skreeonks and giggles).
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:27 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote: Naw, what pissed a lot of people off was how annoying it was to get the monster to use the correct move with a simple flick of the wrist.

And yet, I very rarely had this problem, (and played this game a lot with a friend of mine in a short period of time, in it's day) so..what does that say about everyone else? If you're not positioned in front of your TV properly, and you're just flailing your wiimote around like a madman, you're gonna have a bad time. I'm not saying you're that guy, but G:U's controls won't register moves if you input them too fast, and that's something that almost everyone seems to misunderstand about this game. It's not the game's fault, it's usually just the person playing it.

The controls aren't perfect, but they're not shitty.

No offense, but I'm not sure what relevance this has. The PS2 version wasn't even a "new" game, nor did it resemble or play like G:U..it just used STE's engine and added elements of G:U's gameplay (crystals, etc.) G:U's stages (albeit extremely laggy due to the PS2's hardware), and..well, that's it. Obsidius was 99% an Orga clone (the only difference was that he could breathe fire, and do it while walking), and Battra was 100% a Mothra clone. None of the new characters made it over to the game, and it's obvious why; since this version was rushed into production, they just reused STE's engine, and didn't actually add any new characters because that would have required a lot more time, and $, and that just wasn't happening.

The Wii version was the "main" version, and the PS2 version was literally, an afterthought.
Last edited by Goji on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JVM
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JVM » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Someone who's never played an actual human player in this game has no context for why Destoroyah's glitched Horn is a problem, so to say that "it doesn't affect me" is just pointing out the obvious. It's not going to affect you because the CPU is never going to do it to you, so obviously, it's a non issue in single player.

Pretty much my take on it. I generally find playing with friends, once I explain the glitch, people are fine about it. It only really comes out in a large tournament setting, with less familiar guests, or with little kids. I find it ironic how much crowing there is about it when a few pages back somebody claimed nobody played local multiplayer on these games, since without local multiplayer (and no online multiplayer support) it's absolutely a non-issue that only benefits the singular human player.

Not claiming it's not a legitimate concernable glitch, just that it's difference in the entire game is a bit overstated.

I don't think the control scheme was quite as bad as some people made it out to be (a lot of people are just lazy, and impatient) but it was a little overly ambitious, and after a while, made you long for a traditional controller. People always say that "An Xbox 360 port would have solved this", but the game was built from the ground up on the Wii with that control scheme, so it wouldn't have been as simple as simply porting it over.

On principle, I think a classic controller setup could and should have been implemented, but I also have to say right here - I can pick up the game after months without playing and get right back into the controls with almost no problems or lag. The only move I ever have real issue executing is 'grab'. I think a reason this hit in a lot of the reviews back in the day is these are people who picked up the game once and wanted to know the controls from a minute in when it has a learning curve. It's a Wii game, people.

I think the issue might've come down more to the general system issue of people not liking Wii's motion controls than Godzilla Unleashed's specific mapping system.

GU on the PS2 was, in terms of gameplay, a rehash of STE in every way, except it had a slower frame rate and played slower with lag. It really improved upon the terrible character textures from STE (PS2) with new textures that looked more like the Wii version and looked better. It also adapted pretty much all of the story mechanics and arenas from the other version, with the only major issue being missing the neat 'creature reveal' mechanics and Seattle being almost unplayable initially, although once you've played for a while you can get used to it. G90's can also work in story mode.

It's a real shame they couldn't have brought back STE's Biollante - if Mr. Strange hadn't been under the impression she was entirely lost I imagine it wouldn't have taken as much effort to include her as it did to add Obsidius and Battra. G54 and MG74, with extra time, could've been added, and maybe even Gigan '04, since all could be based on existing monsters.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Postby Jiragozira14 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:51 am

I've almost never had much issue with the controls since the day I got the game; which was I think the Christmas it came out, honestly.

The thing a lot of people seem to miss is that they shouldn't treat them like standard motion controls, but rather motion-controlled button commands where the Wiimote acts like a D-pad and pressing an attack button and moving the controller in a certain direction is like doing the same thing in Street Fighter.

Granted, it's not _flawless_, but it's not horrible.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.

Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?

Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.

Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Return to “Toho Video Games”