Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla: Unleashed (Wii)

Post by JVM »

Edited the first main post to include a summary of the game and a link to useful resources and topics about the game.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

JVM wrote:So many people hate Godzilla: Unleashed as if it killed their parents personally, that sometimes I wonder if it exists purely for my enjoyment and pleasure.
Personally, while I love the game like I love any piece of Godzilla media, I personally think it's inferior to Save the Earth as far as mechanics. Obviously Unleashed has the larger roster, but some of the discrepancies just kind of stick out to me all these years later. It's great for what it does, and I will agree that people blow it's faults way out of proportion. It's not the worst game Godzilla has ever had. Double Smash gets that award.

Holy crap, I just realized, this game will be ten years old in a year or so. What happened? I remember checking this site for roster updates every few days. :dizzy:
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Godzillabrawler wrote:
JVM wrote:So many people hate Godzilla: Unleashed as if it killed their parents personally, that sometimes I wonder if it exists purely for my enjoyment and pleasure.
Personally, while I love the game like I love any piece of Godzilla media, I personally think it's inferior to Save the Earth as far as mechanics. Obviously Unleashed has the larger roster, but some of the discrepancies just kind of stick out to me all these years later. It's great for what it does, and I will agree that people blow it's faults way out of proportion. It's not the worst game Godzilla has ever had. Double Smash gets that award.

Holy crap, I just realized, this game will be ten years old in a year or so. What happened? I remember checking this site for roster updates every few days. :dizzy:
Yeah I just found the proposal Anthony and I wrote in July 2006 to send to Atari to cover the game. It was 50% fun and 50% bullshit covering this game. Largely due to the fact that Atari was going under and there was miscommunication going on.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Chris55 wrote:Yeah I just found the proposal Anthony and I wrote in July 2006 to send to Atari to cover the game. It was 50% fun and 50% bullshit covering this game. Largely due to the fact that Atari was going under and there was miscommunication going on.
I loved every day and minute of your coverage of GU and I don't think I'll ever be as excited to be a Godzilla fan as I was in 2007. Thank you for taking the bullshit you had to deal with to bring us the good news.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

If anyone's interested, this is what the scrapped maps look like.
Spoiler:
New_LA:

60:

Proto_Level:
Last edited by The Godzilla King on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Super cool! I really like the "60" one, looks like you're walking in space. Someone noted how that could've been an early beta water stage, that would've been interesting.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

Yeah, 60 is definitely my favorite. Reminds me of the sea stage from the PS4 game.

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Today is the ninth anniversary of Godzilla: Unleashed on the wii. Although it had its many bugs, the hype that I built up for myself was unreal. I spent countless hours on the atari forums reading through threads, the amount of Hedorah rumors was endless! The game got quite a lot of play out of me over the years, and if I weren't at school right now, I'd probably break it out again for the occassion.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

Can't believe this game is already 9 years old. This game I spend countless hours on every day. And I still play it today. Yeah sure the controls aren't good, and the game isn't as good as it's predecessors, but I love the game and it's a guilty pleasure of mine!

My personal favorite characters are MechaGodzillas 75 & 93. Mostly because in every Godzilla game, MechaGodzilla 1993 is usually my favorite character to play as. I also enjoy playing as Varan, Megaguirus, Baragon, Gigan, Megalon, Titanosaurus, and of course the Godzillas.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

Hikari
GPN Volunteer

Post by Hikari »

I still need to unlock Varan. I pretty much just like this game because of kaiju team ups in the story mode. Nothing cooler than having that battle royal at the end.
May or may have not just came here for the Ultra-Thread.

united_kingdom
Young Farmer

Post by united_kingdom »

It's not a goodgame. It's a terrible game. its better then the previous ones, but you shout try it Godzilla game on Ps4. If you like that's fine its up to you but you should try it on ps4.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

i love unleashed its a fun game and i got the bad ending aka tyrant ending
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I love this game, but it has so many flaws. The controls on the wii are garbage, and there's so many glitches. The game just feels unfinished, like it's the beta to an absolutely amazing Godzilla game.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I like this game, it wasnt that bad. If it was touched up it would be amazing. Too bad I dont have a Wii anymore.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Honestly this game was a blast. The control were a little clunky though. I really appreciated the campaign mode and getting some friend over just to have a brawl was really fun.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

I can't believe 10 years ago I was promoting this game. Yeesh.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Godzilla Unleashed was... interesting, to say the least.

It had a lot of ideas that sounded really good and intriguing on paper. I liked the concept of the factions and story mode, the crystals had interesting effects, it had a ton of potential. Its just on execution, it felt... rushed. I don't think it's "bad" per say. But I think it could have made so much better given more time.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Dynomy-DX wrote:Godzilla Unleashed was... interesting, to say the least.

It had a lot of ideas that sounded really good and intriguing on paper. I liked the concept of the factions and story mode, the crystals had interesting effects, it had a ton of potential. Its just on execution, it felt... rushed. I don't think it's "bad" per say. But I think it could have made so much better given more time.
Did some real in depth interviews on this one.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/godzilla_ ... 12-11.html

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

A user by the name of Archer-Bro took the time to leave Mortal Kombat/Injustice-styled Epilogue endings unique to each monster in the comments of my GU videos, and I enjoyed them a great deal. Can even imagine the stylized cutscenes and the narrator reading out the text :P Posting them below. Really makes you think how diverse these endings would be if every monster had one like this.
Spoiler:
Godzilla 2000
"Having saved Earth so many times, Godzilla and the other Earth Defenders had irrevocably gained humanity's favor. It was decided that efforts to contain the monsters would be the only route. Monster Island was expanded and made more pleasant for the monsters. But more monsters were added over time. And while some would easily be defenders, some needed to be reminded who was the King."

Anguirus
"Regardless of not having much in the way of powers or strength compared to others, Anguirus pushed on despite the odds and helped defeat the Vortaak and the Mutants. He went on to become something of a memetic symbol to humanity for undaunting courage in the face of impossible obstacles."

Fire Rodan
"While he was mostly a solitary creature, Rodan was not about to let invaders destroy his planet and friends. But the crystals' ravaging of Earth yielded an unexpected surprise for him. A female member of his species was awoken from hibernation from the ensuing chaos. While she lacked Rodan's fire abilities, their offspring didn't. How would humanity cope with the sudden boom in this species?"

Destoroyah
"Destoroyah's new power allowed him to do what he has always wanted to do: destroy all life on Earth. Spacegodzilla didn't care if he couldn't control him. After all, he had no further use for Earth once the crystals destroyed everything and gave him more power. What he failed to realize though was he allowed Destroyah to evolve into something that would escape the dead planet and hunt him throughout the stars. Destroyah would not rest until he killed all that live. Even his former master."

Gigan
"Gigan served the Vortaak as part of an alliance with the Nebula Space Hunter M aliens. They have even upgraded him to as a form of payment to their insectoid friends after he was badly injured after their second attempt at conquering Earth. But now with the crystal's power enhancing him, Gigan's handlers pull him back and initiate their own plan to betray the Vortaak. Gigan wasn't the only creature of his kind. His masters leased a second Gigan, a dragon named Mogu, and a creature called "The Visitor" to aid remnant Earth factions to keep the war going. While this was going on, the newly-empowered Gigan was receiving new upgrades for the final phase of the plan: Destroy humanity and the Vortaak so that Earth could belong to Nebula Space Hunter M."

King Ghidorah
"The King of Terror served the Vortaak well. Almost too well. His relentless sadism was almost destroying too much of Earth leaving little to subjugate. Especially after he grew stronger from the crystals. And given his love of whole-sale genocide of entire worlds, the Vortaak had to develop a contingency for if they ever lost control over him. Using Ghidorah's own DNA, they would create a new monster to use if he ever went rogue. "Monster X" would be loyal to the Vortaak completely, and perhaps be stronger than his predecessor."

Megalon
"The people of Seatopia allied themselves with the Vortaak in the hopes of getting their revenge on the surface world. But the Vortaak violated their agreement, keeping Megalon under their control to use him to conquer Seatopia. His worshipers saw this not only as an existential threat, but a form of blasphemy against their god. In a desperate attack, they destroyed the Vortaak's means of controlling the monsters. While Megalon was not the smartest, the crystals made him the strongest. Seatopia finally made the world in its grasp, with Megalon as its god."

Kiryu
"Humanity celebrated Kiryu's success as a triumph for humanity's survival and its technological prowess. But the celebration was short-lived. The crystals had awakened his old Godzilla instincts to the point of completely overpowering his directive, and he went rogue. Eventually, GDF was able to track him down, but what they saw rocked them to their core. A sort of "Ghost Godzilla" erupted from his armor like a cocoon. This Godzilla was stronger and more unstable than the original. It took an alliance between GDF and the Earth Defenders to finally put him to rest."

King Caesar
"The royal family's blessed guardian only walked the Earth during times of great calamity. And the crystals were the greatest threats to humanity he's seen yet. The world rejoiced at his triumph with Earth's natural defenders and hoped he would pacify it's more hostile ones like Godzilla. But it was too soon to celebrate, for the aftermath of the crystals were causing ancient terrors to awaken. From Dagarah to Bagan, humanity would have no reprieve. But King Caesar knew of one who slept that would come to humanity's aide as he did. So he and his worshipers sought out to awaken him. The Fire Lion would roar once more."

Mechagodzilla
"While their new Mechagodzilla was an effective weapon, the AI used for it was too simple to use the crystal power it had collected. Fortunately for the Vortaak, it could still contain said power. So to work around this problem, it was dismantled and its powers studied. Using this research, they were able to mass-produce an army of Mechagodzillas, each with a plethora of abilities that would be even better than the typically augmented monsters. The Mechagodzillas were such powerful additions to the Vortaak's army, that the other kaiju would be all but obsolete."

Jet Jaguar
"Jet Jaguar was designed with the ability to evolve his programming, learn new skills, and a purpose known only to him and his creator. But after he saved the world from the aliens and mutants, he set to move to the next step of his directive. The crystals accelerated his adapting ability faster by the hour. He was gaining abilities felt around the globe. By the time people tried to stop him it was too late. And few wanted to. He had created technology more advanced than even the Vortaak's and spread it every country. He pacified every monster on Earth, cured diseases, brought freedom to world and so much more. His purpose was finally clear to everyone. He didn't wish to rule humanity, but to serve it."

Mothra
"The goddess of Infant Island showed humanity the most compassionate side of Earth's defenders when she saved them from the Vortaak and Spacegodzlla with minial harm to the cities. But tragedy stuck when Battra, having been driven insane by the crystals, killed his twin in a surprise attack. But all was not lost, a larva remained. And when it became an imago, it displayed greater power than his mother. Whether or not it was from the crystals or something more mystical is anyone's guess. But Mothra Leo will either avenge his mother, or more ideally, pacify his uncle."

Orga
"Given that the crystals granted Orga the kind of power he has never before known and his need to assimilate new DNA, it was only natural that he consume the defeated Spacegodzilla and become a better clone of Godzilla than he even dreamed. But something happened in Orga upon assimilation; He remembered everything. When he crashed on Earth, when Godzila first defeated him, when the Vortaak found and experimented on him. They had used him to test G-cell mutations and turned him into the imperfect beast with a deteriorated mind. Now with Spacegodzilla's power, we would make the Vortaak pay. But the Vortaak had a contingency plan. They created a monster similar to Orga, one that had assimilated various Earth organisms to counter Orga's strength. Before he could be free, he must destroy The Gryphon."

Mecha-King Ghidorah
"A stroke of luck and genius lead to GDF turning the defeated King Ghidorah into one of their own. The destroyer of worlds went on to protect one. But some at GDF wondered why stop there? Capturing a weaken Godzilla and Rodan, they powered them up and controlled them with battle armor. Then the bodies of monsters killed by the chaos of the crystals, Zilla, Komoebas, and Kumunga, were given Ghidorah's treatment. But the ethical and political implications of GDF's expanding arsenal would become a fiercely debated topic. Especially when some argued that all monsters should join Mecha-King Ghidorah at GDF."

Baragon
"Baragon's power was directly tied to the Earth. So he, of all its defenders, knew how important it was to save it. But it came with a silver-lining. Without even trying to, he gained great power from crystals thru Earth. And with good timing, as a forgotten creature was revived and enhanced by the crystals: Frankenstein's monster. Baragon went to vanquish this strange threat at all costs."

Biollante
"Biollante was humanity's greatest error and its last. She had destroyed all her genetic donors and anything related to them. Including her "master" and brother clone Spacegodzilla. The crystal-enhanced soil of Earth gave her the power to spread across the world. Eventually, the whole planet was covered in her vines. She then produces spores which spread across space and unto other worlds."

Moguera
"Humanity has finally pushed back against its enemies from space and home. But its technological advancements, were not just its own. A bit before the Vortaak first arrived, humanity found an ally in a race of beings called the Mysterians. They had lost their world to the Vortaak and wanted to spare humanity from such a fate. Eventually leading to the intermingling of the two worlds' technology to create a variety of new weapons, including the M.O.G.U.E.R.A. 2 and the rest is history. In return for their efforts, the Mysterians asked for two things; a nation to call their own and the right to inter-marry with humans. Their request was met, but the political climate that followed was more turbulent than expected."

Mechagodzilla 2
"Mechagodzilla 2's victory against humanity's threats was a poetic justice. He was made by GDF's best scientists reverse-engineering the Vortaak's first Mechagodzilla. Naturally, GDF would salvage the destroyed alien weapons and mothership to see what other things humanity could learn. New upgrades and models for the MG line were coming out of R&D, the first of which would be to allow MG 2 to combine with the warship Garuda. No sooner had these upgrades been complete, the salvage team had accidentally released a monster from the mothership the Vortaak had been creating called Lightning Bug. Super Mechagodzilla would soon face its first mission."

Titanosaurus
"Titanosaurus was granted a new power from the crystals in the form of weaponized sonic-waves, turning his weakness into his strength. Spacegodzilla' promise of more power brought Titanosaurus in not for its own sake like the other mutants, but so he could exist peacefully with being tormented by humanity or other monsters. But when he gained even more power than all other mutants and learned of Spacegodzilla's treachery, he slaughtered his "master" with the others. Trusting no one to leave him in peace, he used the crystals' power to flood the entire world. Few kaiju or humans survived, the ones that did knew not to disturb the beast that sleeps in the part of the ocean with an orange glow."

Megaguirus
"No mutant was more power-hungry than Megagurius. So naturally, she gathered not only as much power from the crystals as possible, but she stole all of Spacegodzilla's power to top it off. Using said power, she opened a portal similar to one Spacegodzilla used to re-enter our dimension to invade new worlds. She would search the multiverse for more power to steal, to consume. But would this insect bite off more than she could chew? The multiverse was filled creatures that could compete with a beast of her caliber."

Varan
"While he was a more solitary monster, Varan was drawn into action by the crystals and alien invasion. When the crystals first struck, he received a boost to his sonar, allowing him to weaponize his sonic-waves. But he would not be corrupted by the crystals. He destroyed them with his comrades. But when it was over he went back into isolation, or so he hoped. The village people who once worshiped him found him on Monster Island. Varan was impressed, if perplexed, that these people would make such a dangerous journey. They offered him sacrifices of crops and livestock. The elusive kaiju took to the people. He protected them from other monsters and GDF forces trying to remove them from the island. As long as they fed the beast, he could stand more company."

Obsidius
"Obsidious' creation was a complete accident. Few could have guess that crystals would have forged a kaiju from the earth itself. Like the fires he was born from he went about mindlessly destroying all in his path until the Earth was destroyed and he was the strongest. But Spacegodzilla was not yet finished with his inadvertent progeny. Using his psychic powers he gave Obsidious new thoughts, a sense of direction. He bore deep into the Earth to use the crystals for the perfect plan for conquest. The Earth then exploded into a multitude of new Obsidious monsters. Spacegodzilla took them to be become his heralds, searching the universe for new worlds to destroy."

Krystalak
"Much like his "father", Krystalak had an insatiable lust for power. Seeking the crystals with the desired goal of becoming a god among kaiju. When he succeeded, Spacegodzilla realize all too late that Krystalak's creation was a mistake. Krystalak didn't just kill him, he consumed him to gain his power. His core was stabilized at last. He then set out to do as his creator did, infecting other world with crystals to become stronger. Little did he know that a crystal spire was erected on the new world he invaded, and from that spire his own spawn came into being. The cycle would continue..."

SpaceGodzilla
"Spacegodzilla finally achieved his ambitions. He destroyed his enemies, destroyed the Earth, and increased his power to unimaginable degrees. He even eradicated the mutants that served him, since they outlived their usefulness. But Spacegodzilla had a new opponent to face, a vengeful Ikusagami. The sun god vowed to avenge the Earth and destroy its defiler. But when faced with this challenger, Spacegodzilla had a reaction he never had before: euphoria. He was haughty with pride, and arrogantly boasted that he became so powerful that only gods could face him now. And he boasted that even they would fall to him."
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Cool.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.