The future of Godzilla videogames.

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: The future of Godzilla videogames.

Post by G1985 »

Chris55 wrote:Should all this work out, I'd like to see physical copies of the remasters (with the Matt Frank reversible art of course)
I'll buy a physical copy if it works out, but I'm not holding my breath. The petition only has 7200 signatures at this point - it's going to need more than 10x that amount just to get Atari's attention.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

G1985 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Should all this work out, I'd like to see physical copies of the remasters (with the Matt Frank reversible art of course)
I'll buy a physical copy if it works out, but I'm not holding my breath. The petition only has 7200 signatures at this point - it's going to need more than 10x that amount just to get Atari's attention.
Considering it's caught the attention of Pipeworks, it's got a higher possibility of happening. At this stage nothing is definite but at least it's something.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Chris55 wrote:
G1985 wrote:
Considering it's caught the attention of Pipeworks, it's got a higher possibility of happening. At this stage nothing is definite but at least it's something.
It could happen! Those games were relatively popular, at least the first two were. I remember random friends having them who weren’t even interested in Godzilla.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Guys, what if they don't just remaster the trilogy, but make a whole new one for the current generation?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

MM Raids Again wrote:Guys, what if they don't just remaster the trilogy, but make a whole new one for the current generation?
A new fighting game would be nice, especially with KOTM around the corner.
Heck, even a small promotional fighting game with just Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, and Ghidorah would be better than nothing. :p
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

UltimateDitto wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:Guys, what if they don't just remaster the trilogy, but make a whole new one for the current generation?
Heck, even a small promotional fighting game with just Mothra, Rodan, Godzilla, and Ghidorah would be better than nothing. :p
Throw in the Mutos and Kong and you've got me sold

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Godzillakuj94 wrote:
UltimateDitto wrote:
Throw in the Mutos and Kong and you've got me sold
Skullcrawlers too.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

I don't post here often but I would like to weigh in given the petition has been going around. There's a few things I feel need saying.

The petition doesn't need to necessarily succeed to produce a favorable result. I mean, I'm just happy Pipeworks referenced the Godzilla Trilogy on their Twitter and the amount of tweets they've recieved regarding remasters. This shows there's SOME level of interest in the idea among fans, and that the people who could do anything about it are seeing it even if they dont do anything about it. Fans have to make sure that even if we don't get the trilogy remastered, interest in more Godzilla games, new or rereleased, needs to be made known.

Second, I don't think a remaster would be impacted by Godzilla Vs. That game is recognized, or at least SHOULD BE recognized, as having been a failure for reasons more gameplay-related than being Godzilla related. As people have said, Destroy All Monsters Melee in particular has fans that played it when they were young, many of which were never into Godzilla like most hardcore kaiju fans. I myself played Save the Earth as one of my first video games I ever played on the PS2. Compared to some fans, I may be young, but I'm almost 22 - I'm definitely not a child anymore, and so are a lot of these potentially paying customers, and as we know, nostalgiabaiting is often a successful marketing strategy.

Basically what I'm saying is that these games were far better in terms of gameplay than Vs, and had bigger rosters, and while they may not have been perfect, they'd tie into the modern resurgence of Godzilla interest as of late. Ideally, if the proposed remastered trilogy were to come back, even in it's most rudimentary form (port forward, fix glitches, done) I still feel like off of name recognition, the release would be okay. Godzilla Vs was forgettable and I doubt most people even remember it exists. Scroll through any DAMM/STE comment section on the Yubtubs and you'll see tons of average Joe YouTube accounts talking about how they played the game as kids.

I also wanted to say to the people who want more unique Godzilla games that aren't just fighters, I genuinely believe that, while that would be just great (the Monster Island Sim sounds amazing), given how much of a push there has to be for a Godzilla game to succeed financially, a fighter is really the only way to go. The main thing everyone cares about is the monsters. At the very least, the casual audience only cares about the monsters. And they care most about the monsters when there's a lot of them, and especially when they're fighting and destroying cities in a way that's exciting. And the most tried and true formula for that is a fighting game.

Personally, my hope is for a new 2.5D or Tekken/Soul Calibur esque fighter from Namco Bandai. I really just want a chance to see Shin, Earth/Filius, and the 2019 quartet of monsters to finally be playable in a fighter, alongside monsters like Gabara and Gorosaurus, Ebirah, Kumonga, and more who've either never been playable in an HD game or haven't made the jump to 3D in any capacity. Whether it's a new 2D fighter or a 3D one, I think a new game is due. Shame it's a hope and a dream and not a certainty.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The best thing Pipeworks could do is use the Destroy All Monsters source code and make a budget priced fighter with extra cities and kaiju. I would buy that.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

Just came back to this thread after a while and HOLY SHEIT a lotta stuff happened while I was gone.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

Shadd21
Samurai

Post by Shadd21 »

With Bandai no longer holding the license to the Godzilla games, I see nothing but mobile games from this point forward.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I do hate to say it, but I have largely given up on there being a truly excellent Godzilla video game. There have certainly been many good attempts in the past, such as Battle Legends, the Pipeworks Trilogy, the PS4 game, and debatably Trading Battle, but none of them seemed to work out in the end. I do think an amazing Godzilla game is possible, I am just not sure if the interest exists among video game publishers, at least beyond mobile games and such. For the time being, I have accepted that Godzilla is simply never going to work out in video games, not necessarily due to lack of potential, but lack of interest in creating a truly amazing game.

If there is another Godzilla video game on the horizon, then i imagine it will be released very soon, with the recent popularity of kaiju. Even so, I am not counting on it being particularly good, if such a thing comes to fruition at all.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Some spin off games set in the world of Godzilla would be cool. Remember learning there was a Rodan game being developed but it ultimately canceled. Maybe it would have been good, maybe it would have been bad. But the concept of a game set in the world of Godzilla where you play as Rodan and the final boss is Godzilla is a pretty cool concept to me and I hope they try to take the risk again in the future without canceling it.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/rodan.htm

Poopyman
Monsterland Worker

Post by Poopyman »

Please just Remake Monster of Monsters RPG style

My Corns Hurt
Ronin

Post by My Corns Hurt »

Poopyman wrote:Please just Remake Monster of Monsters RPG style
Thats what I've been wanting for YEARS... as an action RPG with local co-op multiplayer like Baldur's Gate/Marvel Ultimate Alliance

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

So who has the video game rights now if not Bandai?

BNSF1995
Samurai

Post by BNSF1995 »

If Pipeworks does remaster GDAMM, GSTE, and GU, they should do the following things:

* Combine them into one game, with separate story modes representing each game
* Flesh out the Save the Earth story mode as originally envisioned
* Explain the plot of Unleashed more clearly
* Use Havok and Euphoria to make building destruction more realistic
* A solo destruction mode like in the Xbox version of DAMM
* More monsters, including Manda, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Ebirah, Zilla, Gezora, Kamoebas, Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah, Zone Fighter, Hedorah, Showa Moguera, Godzilla 2014, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla Fillius (because Godzilla Earth would be WAAAAAAY too big), Servum, and the monsters who didn't make the cut in the GU fan vote
* Add the ability to change the appearance of monsters; for example, Godzilla 1954 can be changed to resemble any of the other Showa Godzillas, likewise Godzilla 90s can be changed to resemble any of the other Heisei Godzillas, as well as SokogekiGoji and FinalGoji
* Make the game a Steam exclusive, and add extensive mod support with a Workshop for people to add new monsters (like King Kong, Gamera, Ultraman, Gorgo, Reptilicus, The Giant Claw, the Evangelions and Angels, and Yonggary), cities, military vehicles, and skins
* Fix ALL of the bugs present in the original releases
* Make the camera controls better
* Fix Destoroyah's Laser Katana
* Make beam attacks more powerful and able to destroy buildings in one hit
* Remove the ability to pick up certain buildings (it's just stupid)
* Add people to the cities; they would be running all over the place, and you can do all sorts of terrible things to them (and then get the military to come down on you harder as punishment for your cruelty)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

90% of that is never going to happen in a remaster. You're basically suggesting an entirely new game at that point.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

The tech is now ready for an asymetrical online kaiju mmo where some players go and rise havoc as giant monsters and the others play as soldiers and citizens. All this takes place in a gigantnic 3d environment where the whole planet is the "map"
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gailah 1966 wrote:The tech is now ready for an asymetrical online kaiju mmo where some players go and rise havoc as giant monsters and the others play as soldiers and citizens. All this takes place in a gigantnic 3d environment where the whole planet is the "map"
Not a bad idea. There`s plenty of decent games with specific IPs with asymmetrical multiplayer. You could have players control tanks (or maybe mutants from final wars) or try to complete a specific task (like set up the ANEB trap).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.