The future of Godzilla videogames.

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

The future of Godzilla videogames.

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

Ah, my friends, when was the last time you played a Godzilla game like the Nintendo/Xbox releases that made you feel badass? Destroy all Monsters, Save the Earth, and Unleashed were excellent games, despite whatever flaws they may have. Most recently, all Godzilla themed games are showing up on Playstation consoles, and although it's appreciated that Godzilla games are still being made, they used to be on a slightly broader spectrum. Also, I think we can all agree that the recent Playstation Godzilla titles were.... Less than exciting when they finally came out. Their rosters are limited compared to earlier titles on different consoles, the gameplay is dreadfully slow, and it's a nightmare to unlock characters. In all honesty, Godzilla VS for PS4 isn't a fighting game, it's a Godzilla Simulator, which is a great idea, but it lost so much due to being marketed as a fighting game.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I wanna see a game like Godzilla Unleashed put on the market again, with fast paced fighting, a large roster, decent storytelling, online multiplayer, and awesome game mechanics. Give the monsters powerful/nostalgic/insane movesets that you can pull off wicked combos with. Have old favorites like Kiryu, Destoroyah, and Anguirus, as well as newcomers like Monster X, MUTOs, Kong, and Godzilla incarnations we haven't seen in game before.

What do YOU want from the next Godzilla games? Lemme know! :g2k:

I am be angerous now -Batmetal

Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND, I put this in the wrong discussion.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: The future of Godzilla videogames.

Post by Maritonic »

Literally give me Save the Earth, with updated graphics, maybe add a few more kaiju, the ability to change skins, more cities and bam; my ideal Godzilla game.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think a Godzilla game is tricky; by nature, we want to pit these kaiju against each-other the way they are in the movies, and a fighting game seems a natural fit, but... honestly, kaiju move at WAY too slow a rate to make for a good fighting game. Sure, if you divided it into groups (a 70s-era, running-and-full-range-of-motion brawler, and 90s-era mostly-beam-wars set of matches, etc.), you could get some decent gameplay- but generally, kaiju are too lumbering; a game will either be realistic and too slow-paced (not glacial, but nowhere near the speed of a Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom), or it will sacrifice accuracy to the source and have kaiju-shaped being leaping and racing about as they most definitely don't in the movies. Either way, a faithful kaiju fighting game is a difficult prospect to pull of realistically. Maybe do what the last game did in terms of visual fidelity (including those fun into cut-scenes) and really focus on a large roster of kaiju that bring the style of their era with them, and maybe focus either on the more agile ones, or creating a trade-off between speed and attack-power realistic to their genre... with a great engine and the ability to match pretty much any kaiju Toho's ever made against another (Garnatuas and other non-G-series-monsters included), you might have a great game that distracts enough from the inherent issues in adapting such lumbering combatants to succeed.

Alternately, though- might be time to try for some different Genres. City Shrouded in Darkness has a neat idea; approach from the human perspective. That could work. Alternately, some sort of turn-based RPG could work, as it would be unaffected by the speed issues, and allow you to involve a large roster of kaiju and a multi-layer. sprawling, immersive story.

I feel like there could be other genres worth exploring, too...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Zarm wrote:I think a Godzilla game is tricky; by nature, we want to pit these kaiju against each-other the way they are in the movies, and a fighting game seems a natural fit, but... honestly, kaiju move at WAY too slow a rate to make for a good fighting game. Sure, if you divided it into groups (a 70s-era, running-and-full-range-of-motion brawler, and 90s-era mostly-beam-wars set of matches, etc.), you could get some decent gameplay- but generally, kaiju are too lumbering; a game will either be realistic and too slow-paced (not glacial, but nowhere near the speed of a Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom), or it will sacrifice accuracy to the source and have kaiju-shaped being leaping and racing about as they most definitely don't in the movies. Either way, a faithful kaiju fighting game is a difficult prospect to pull of realistically. Maybe do what the last game did in terms of visual fidelity (including those fun into cut-scenes) and really focus on a large roster of kaiju that bring the style of their era with them, and maybe focus either on the more agile ones, or creating a trade-off between speed and attack-power realistic to their genre... with a great engine and the ability to match pretty much any kaiju Toho's ever made against another (Garnatuas and other non-G-series-monsters included), you might have a great game that distracts enough from the inherent issues in adapting such lumbering combatants to succeed.

Alternately, though- might be time to try for some different Genres. City Shrouded in Darkness has a neat idea; approach from the human perspective. That could work. Alternately, some sort of turn-based RPG could work, as it would be unaffected by the speed issues, and allow you to involve a large roster of kaiju and a multi-layer. sprawling, immersive story.

I feel like there could be other genres worth exploring, too...
Heeeeeyyyyy..... That's pretty guuuuuud......
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've been writing down lots of ideas for my ideal Godzilla game.

How about a game where we can only play as Godzilla and a human protagonist, so when can get both sides of the story.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Just bumping because of the thread relocation to the Toho Video Games sub-forum.

Cheers~

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Maritonic wrote:Literally give me Save the Earth, with updated graphics, maybe add a few more kaiju, the ability to change skins, more cities and bam; my ideal Godzilla game.

Ah hellz yeah!
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

SpaceG92 wrote:Just bumping because of the thread relocation to the Toho Video Games sub-forum.

Cheers~
Thanx m8 :D
Idiots.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The game I want is Sonic Battle with kaiju. Godzilla Domination had a similar 2D Fighter/3D battlefield set up. What it lacked was a real story.

Domination also made the kaiju relatively fast moving without feeling incongruous to the films.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I wish that the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters will open their hearts and bring forth a third game.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

LegendZilla wrote:I wish that the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters will open their hearts and bring forth a third game.
I'd bet the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters would bring forth a third game if the buying public would open their wallets.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

[/quote]I'd bet the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters would bring forth a third game if the buying public would open their wallets.[/quote]

We should tell them that some people are.
Idiots.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G1985 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I wish that the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters will open their hearts and bring forth a third game.
I'd bet the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters would bring forth a third game if the buying public would open their wallets.
I'd bet the developers of Battle Legends and Destroy All Monsters have either disbanded or have gone on to much bigger projects.

In all seriousness, I'd love a Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat-esque 2.5D fighting game. Like Zarm said, if you try to make an accurate fighting game, it's slow and annoying to play (see: Godzilla for the PS4). So...why try to make it accurate? Granted, I don't want Godzilla and company zipping around the screen like they're in Dragonball or whatever, but quick animations and flashy supers would be awesome to see.

Added in 6 minutes 24 seconds:
Here's an example of what I mean:

The animations are fast, but there's a weight behind them. Akuma's a pretty big guy and you can see how heavy his attacks look. A game with this kind of fighting style while still keeping relatively true to the monster's speeds (i.e. Godzilla is a little slow, Mechagodzilla is very slow, Jet Jaguar is a little fast, Rodan is very fast) would be awesome and a nice breath of fresh air from the 3D fighters and simulators we've gotten in the past decade.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

@UltramanGoji I think the idea your going for has credence, but I slightly disagree and feel they should stay true to the aspects of the older games like Unleashed in forms of visual dimension. The environment was 3D but the camera mainly stays fixed on the sides of the monsters.
Idiots.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

A turn based rpg would be cool - the kaiju could move slowly like they do in the movies, but without sacrificing the speed of the gameplay.

I’ve always wanted a Monster Island park simulator. Something akin to JP: Operation Genesis or the upcoming JP: Evolution, but without the customer management aspect (or you know what, maybe that could work too). You basically manage the island’s infrastructure, take care of the monsters and prevent them from escaping, and as you progress you get access to newly captured kaiju. Like in both the JP games, you get to control vehicles so you can explore the island from a human or airborne perspective, although normal gameplay would be the ‘god’s Eye’ view typical of the genre. Maybe there could even be a combat mini game where you capture new kaiju, or pacify rampaging ones on the island. Kaiju not adequately cared for go into rampage mode, where they wreck infrastructure, tangle with other kaiju, and maybe even escape. Other stuff like weather or (just for giggles) alien mind control plots could factor in as well.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

One idea I thought of is something like Spore. You create your own kaiju from a cell, slowly working your way up the food chain. Later in the game you can interact with other kaiju.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I wonder if Toho has considered approaching Hideo Kojima. He has made his love for the franchise no secret. Although a specific date has yet to be announced, Kojima confirmed Death Stranding will be out before the 2020 Olympics. Maybe a Kojima Productions Godzilla game can coincide with the release the next Japanese live-action Godzilla film.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

kamilleblu wrote:I wonder if Toho has considered approaching Hideo Kojima. He has made his love for the franchise no secret. Although a specific date has yet to be announced, Kojima confirmed Death Stranding will be out before the 2020 Olympics. Maybe a Kojima Productions Godzilla game can coincide with the release the next Japanese live-action Godzilla film.
Konami had the rights to make a Godzilla game back in the late 90's mid 2000s but did nothing with it.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Living Corpse wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:I wonder if Toho has considered approaching Hideo Kojima. He has made his love for the franchise no secret. Although a specific date has yet to be announced, Kojima confirmed Death Stranding will be out before the 2020 Olympics. Maybe a Kojima Productions Godzilla game can coincide with the release the next Japanese live-action Godzilla film.
Konami had the rights to make a Godzilla game back in the late 90's mid 2000s but did nothing with it.
That is one of the most tragic things I have ever read.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Maybe bad timing? Atari and Pipeworks were making their own Godzilla games in the early 2000s. On a slightly related note, Konami did make two King Kong games in the 1980s for the MSX2 and Nintendo Family Computer.