Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: Monster of Monsters (NES)

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Never had this one as a kid. While I liked Godzilla when I was young, I liked Jaws more. So that was the game my Mom got for me for the NES. Shame I didn't realize how shit it was.

Recently though I picked up Godzilla and Jaws for my new NES for 8.99. What a bargain.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I would love to own this game it looks good and I am an old game connoisseur
Rest in Peace Victoria

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

i have this sucker on my ipod. ive beaten it twice. its fun to pick up and play randomly
Resized Image

Orgasmatron
G-Grasper

Post by Orgasmatron »

youve got it on your ipod? do you know if you can get it on a classic?
formerly known as Godzilla1964

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Arbok wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:It's pretty fun and the sprites for nes standards are fantastic
Concur, Godzilla in particular looks great but others like Gezora and Hedorah are very well done too.

So just kind of curious: how many people were first introduced to Gezora from this game? I know personally I had never heard of him before this, but became kind of fascinated by him for years back in the days before the internet when I couldn't just research him.
I had never known about Gezora, Varan, Baragon (I thought he was a dog monster of some kind) and Hedorah looked like a hooded "swamp tree monster" to me until I finally saw the movie and releazed (what I thought) was his red cloaked face was actually his eye. :oops: And only my dad knew who Moguera was.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I only knew about the monsters I had bought VHS tapes of. This game (along with 'Godzilla vs. Megalon and The Sea Monster') were my birthday presents one year and my very first Godzilla items I ever got. I never got to the higher levels until after I had already seen Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah in their movies, otherwise they would have been on the list too.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

BrashAlaskan95 wrote:The soundtrack for this game is actually not too bad either.
Have to agree, in particular enjoy Gezora's theme although a few others have good ones as well like Hedorah.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

earth actually
Resized Image

StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

Post by StriderSubzero »

BrashAlaskan95 wrote:I've got an NES with this game, the Castlevania trilogy, Super Mario Brothers 1, the two Zelda games, Godzilla 2, Metroid and Final Fantasy 1.
You have Godzilla 2? That's quite an expensive game these days.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I love that game! In my opinion, AVGN was wrong about the game. but he was right about the sequel.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

This is definitely my 2nd favourite of the Retro Godzilla games, It had quite unique concepts for a Godzilla game, mixing up RPG elements with side scrolling beat'em ups. While the execution was rough in areas ( like the sprites flickering every few seconds. ) you got to give them credit for trying something new other then a tournament fighter.

Unfortunately, Toho stuck solely with the RPG style after this game with mediocre results up til BL & DAM.

A pipe dream of mine is to see this getting a HD release ...

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

BrashAlaskan95 wrote:I want to see RPG style elements in future Godzilla games, maybe like Zelda II, Castlevania II, or this with a save feature, I want to see a Godzilla with a levelling system again. I like the idea of playing as a monster that gets stronger overtime.
Agreed, that was one of my favorite elements of this game. Man I really need to buy that cartridge, who knows, maybe I'll get the possessed one lol..........man what I would do with that game. Stare red in the face and yell, "NOPE, I DON'T DO CREEPY GHOST SHIT!"
Resized Image

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

pipe dream of mine is to see this getting a HD release
When Alex gets done with battle royale, I'm probably goin to start eggin him on to do it. I already sorta discussed it with him and he liked the idea
Resized Image

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

BrashAlaskan95 wrote:Okay, what's everyone's favorite Toho easter egg in the game?
Definitely the Matango. The game is packed full of Toho references, but the Matango tree is at the top of my list as its a fairly large roll for a character that really had nothing to do with the Godzilla franchise prior.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

ya when you look at all the ships they added, its pretty astounding. anywho, the dogora level (had to look up that name, pretty big deal since im a huge nerd and i couldnt remember that!i am not worthy) they were fun. i like how funky they look. oh and the little flying gotengo is cool as well
Resized Image

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

forgot to add that one! :D
Resized Image

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

ya i always laugh when i kill them in one hit, considering how hard it was for godzilla to kill one lol
Resized Image

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

BrashAlaskan95 wrote:They reminded me of cheap knockoff vehicles a bit, the Gotengos were the real issue(if any), as far as non boss enemies.
Do you mean the Gotengo (the ships that fly overhead and fire) or do you mean the Goten, the ship from The War in Space that you fight one-on-one in a level?

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

oh you mean the death machine of rape and doom....ya i never get hit by those anymore
Resized Image

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

Well, I was looking at some Japanese websites with huge collections of NES codes and I found a code that activates Anguirus(Angilas, as he's called in the game).

I also tried playing as Rodan but that didn't work.