Why Aren't Godzilla Games Better?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Re: Why Aren't Godzilla Games Better?

Post by cmdmstudios »

It's because the license hasn't been given to Cyber Connect 2. If anyone has played the Tailed Beast missions in the 'Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm' series (most specifically in 3 and 4), those would make for a great base. They move with a great balance of weight and speed to make them feel giant but still capable of fast paced combat. Also, the QTE's during the stage changes for boss fights would be something that I wouldn't mind be carried over.

The fact that CC2 is under Bandai Namco's umbrella makes this a possibility for the future.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

cmdmstudios wrote:It's because the license hasn't been given to Cyber Connect 2. If anyone has played the Tailed Beast missions in the 'Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm' series (most specifically in 3 and 4), those would make for a great base. They move with a great balance of weight and speed to make them feel giant but still capable of fast paced combat. Also, the QTE's during the stage changes for boss fights would be something that I wouldn't mind be carried over.

The fact that CC2 is under Bandai Namco's umbrella makes this a possibility for the future.
Interesting; I hope this becomes a reality.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

I've often said that the perfect Godzilla game would be akin to something like we have seen in Star Wars Battlefront or the new upcoming Battlefront II. A game where all era's are properly fleshed out with a complete campaign story. And depending on the mission modes you could play as Godzilla or as Military personnel. This game might be playable in a sandbox environment but I think it would lend its self to a level based game.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Panther10 wrote:I've often said that the perfect Godzilla game would be akin to something like we have seen in Star Wars Battlefront or the new upcoming Battlefront II. A game where all era's are properly fleshed out with a complete campaign story. And depending on the mission modes you could play as Godzilla or as Military personnel. This game might be playable in a sandbox environment but I think it would lend its self to a level based game.
LOL how would that work - would you jump into Godzilla's mouth and drive him around?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

G1985 wrote:
Panther10 wrote:I've often said that the perfect Godzilla game would be akin to something like we have seen in Star Wars Battlefront or the new upcoming Battlefront II. A game where all era's are properly fleshed out with a complete campaign story. And depending on the mission modes you could play as Godzilla or as Military personnel. This game might be playable in a sandbox environment but I think it would lend its self to a level based game.
LOL how would that work - would you jump into Godzilla's mouth and drive him around?

I think he just means something that pulls from all Godzilla lore, not actually gameplay-wise.

My perfect Godzilla game would be a mixture of military/kaiju gameplay. It would be set in a typical Godzilla set-up world where kaiju are just a thing and there is a G-Force type thing that fights/keeps them in check. The game begins when an alien invasion takes place - in my head it would be like a Covenant (Halo) style alliance of all the Godzilla aliens. Years ago they sent a probe to Earth, from which the humans were able to extrapolate technology and build things like Maser Canons and mechs, but now they're here and ready to invade. Maybe also put some kaiju under mind control. So the game swaps between on-foot and vehicle action, fighting the aliens while kaiju madness erupts all around you, and then sections where you play as Godzilla.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

My guess is that a majority of gamers are either fans of FPS, Beat-'em-ups, and adventure games, it's challenging to appeal Godzilla games to mainstream gamers rather than to only the fans. While Godzilla PS4 was a mixed bag, it tried to be mainstream with online multiplayer and that's it. It needs variety to allure not only fans, but newcomers as well.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

The perfect Godzilla game would be a more fleshed out DAMM or a 2.5D Fighter. Imagine something like Dragon Ball FighterZ but Godzilla.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maybe something smaller and more arcadey they can make on the cheap without sacrificing quality.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Money and time are big factors, yeah.

But, besides that, it's also because the developers of Godzilla games have been pretty much stuck on "Fighter, Smash-'Em-Up, or Both!" type games for basically 20 years. Prior to the move from 2D Gaming to 3D Gaming, we didn't necessarily have anything GREAT but we had variety: there were Fighting games, yeah, but also Side-Scrolling Action (Godzilla: Monster of Monsters), Strategy (Godzilla: Archipelago Shock), Puzzle Games, and even a Trading Card Battling game! But since? Everything from 1998 onward have been rehashes of either Godzilla Generations (1998) or Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee (2002). And, frankly, when the biggest innovation in almost 20 years has been "Let's COMBINE GG and G:DAMM!" (Godzilla on PS4), I think it's obvious nobody with any interest in producing a Godzilla game has any idea what to do with Godzilla.

If we want better Godzilla games, we have to stop asking for G:DAMM 4 or Godzilla Generations 4, because the former's been done to death and it's obvious that nobody seems to really gets how to do the latter well. No offense to ScottA, but his post is a perfect example of why we've been stuck like we have:
ScottA wrote:Godzilla does not run around killing things with swords or guns.
Why not? A Streets of Rage type game with Giant Monsters sounds AWESOME. Like, God of War but without the swords. Think outside the box!
ScottA wrote:Godzilla does not drive a car, go-cart, motorcycle, airplane, or spaceship.
Says who? Why HAVEN'T we gotten a Godzilla-themed Mario Kart rip-off yet? Everybody else has done it, and those games have drivers no less wacky and ridiculous. The game practically writes itself!
ScottA wrote:Godzilla does not trash talk other monsters and hold their girlfriends hostage for ransom.
As Vrahno's work on Youtube has shown, there's literally no reason for you NOT to do that. And considering Godzilla vs. Gigan, there's not much argument against it either.
ScottA wrote:Godzilla does not run fast enough to run inside of loops. Or jump from level to level.
I'd have to go back and check but I'm fairly certain there's already BEEN a Godzilla side-scrolling platformer.

This is why I'm excited for City Shrouded in Shadows, because this is the first kaiju-themed game in a LONG time that's tried something NEW. If we want better Godzilla games, then we have to demand that the developers of these games start getting more experimental and trying different things. Give us the Godzilla go-karting game. Give us the King Kong '05 style story-heavy hybrid beat 'em up/first person shooter. Give us a new Godzilla-themed real time strategy game. Hell, give us the open world Godzilla adventure RPG game.

Just, frickin' lay off on remaking Godzilla Generations and G:DAMM. The horse is dead, stop beating it.

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

Well...That list I made is not reflective of my own personal tastes in games. But the general tastes of what gamers like and buy.
Personally, I prefer to make my own 3D Kaiju games with Unity. And my kaiju games are very cheesy and silly. And not at all like anything anyone has made.
While I have not made a Kaiju-Cart game(yet). I have made silly little games where Godzilla plays boulder toss with Ebirah. And a Minya vs. Gabara game where Gabara chases Minya around while Minya blows smoke rings at him. And Minya gets knocked down by Gabara in funny ways.

But I doubt many people would like these type of silly, cheesy games.
Kids these days want everything to be serious and not cheesy at all like the Showa days(G2014 & Shin). It's not good or "Cool" if it's cheesy or silly.
Only old farts like me prefer the cheesy fun Godzilla stuff we had in the old days. I can't see a major game studio making any cheesy fun Godzilla games for today's kids.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

ScottA wrote:While I have not made a Kaiju-Cart game(yet). I have made silly little games where Godzilla plays boulder toss with Ebirah. And a Minya vs. Gabara game where Gabara chases Minya around while Minya blows smoke rings at him. And Minya gets knocked down by Gabara in funny ways.

But I doubt many people would like these type of silly, cheesy games.
I would absolutely play those! (Though I have been, basically, a grumpy old man since I was about 13, so I don't know if I disprove any demographics). Still, those sound like tons of fun.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

ScottA
Monsterland Worker

Post by ScottA »

Can you imagine what people like Angry Joe would say about such silly games like that?
He would probably have a stroke half way into his rant. ;-)

Seriously though.
I think most kids would say "these games are dumb" or. "These games are for babies."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ScottA wrote:Can you imagine what people like Angry Joe would say about such silly games like that?

Seriously though.
I think most kids would say "these games are dumb" or. "These games are for babies."
I think it very much depends on what you mean by "kids". And besides, it's not like Nintendo ISN'T a thing, after all. People still love playing cheesy and silly Mario games and Donkey Kong games and Kirby games. There's an audience there, and it's just as big as any other, it just isn't the same crowd as the Call of Duty audience (which, naturally, wouldn't be interested). Gotta have a little more faith in people's love for the silly and fun. ;)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

ScottA wrote:Can you imagine what people like Angry Joe would say about such silly games like that?

Seriously though.
Joe kinda deserves it :lol:

In the coming years "silly" and "cheesy" things are gonna be wanted, and out with the serious dark stuff. How about a level based Godzilla game with Zone Fighter as a back up ally or something to spice up gameplay.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

I think a game similar to Battlefield, where the monsters are events that change the dynamics of the map, would be cool. Teams would have to navigate ruined cities (hopefully with advanced destruction physics) and players could randomly unlock the ability to become the monsters. Somethin akin to Friday the 13th: The Game on steroids.

In the meantime, though, there just isn't much commercial interest from big developers in Godzilla.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Loganrules115 wrote:I think a game similar to Battlefield, where the monsters are events that change the dynamics of the map, would be cool. Teams would have to navigate ruined cities (hopefully with advanced destruction physics) and players could randomly unlock the ability to become the monsters. Somethin akin to Friday the 13th: The Game on steroids.

In the meantime, though, there just isn't much commercial interest from big developers in Godzilla.
Maybe after Skull island and Godzilla 2.. basically when the monsterverse is in full swing there will be more of an interest in a new Godzilla game.

Added in 10 minutes 58 seconds:
I'm kind surprised there hasn't been yet. I'm not counting Godzilla for the PS4. Peter Jacksons King Kong got its own game, one of which I really enjoyed, but it also seems to be a mixed bag with fans. Gamespot rates it a 2.8 yet it holds an 80% on metacritic. Who knows.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla