Honest opinion on Bagan?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

What do you think about Bagan?

He's so cool and awesome!
28%
I like him, but I find him overrated.
28%
I am neutral.
19%
I don't like him.
5%
Bagan and his fans are one of the worst things in this fandom.
19%

Total votes: 135

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Honest opinion on Bagan?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

.I have no idea who that is
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:.I have no idea who that is

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Living Corpse wrote:
Dude, i grew up with the PS1 and Pokemon on Gameboy.

I think my dad maybe had a NES with Duck Hunt and Mario?

My impression of him? Eh. As far as expanded universe goes, monsters from the 98 Godzilla: The Series are much more interesting
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:Dude, i grew up with the PS1 and Pokemon on Gameboy.

My impression of him? Eh. As far as expanded universe goes, monsters from the 98 Godzilla: The Series are much more interesting
The Super NES library is so good! Most of the best ones are platformers, but there's still plenty of diversity outside of Mario or Donkey Kong. Wouldn't necessarily recommend Super Godzilla, though. Even the basics are difficult to learn.

Bagan himself isn't all too interesting in the game, outside of the cool "Diamond Storm" attack and being a fusion of Godzilla and KG cells. His history is far more interesting... Well, if you consider being cut from 9+ Toho movies and the Anime Godzilla prequel books interesting :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Let me Google that for you.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I like him but he is not the Thanos of the Godzilla universe. Honestly, I don't even think there needs to be that type of character in the Godzilla franchise but if there absolutely has to be, I think a beefed up Spacegodzilla could do the job well.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I like Bagan and I do wish that Toho finally produces a Godzilla movie with him in it. But if that happens, I hope they use this design. I like this more than the other designs.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... n2_ca2.htm
Last edited by CrimsonBloodX on Sat May 09, 2020 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Living Corpse wrote:
THIS...just THIS...

I think it's a crime this kaiju hasn't been given a film and fought Godzilla in it yet.

C'mon Toho, make it happen - at least to honor Tomoyuki Tanaka's memory, if nothing else! You know you want to do it and I know you want to do it! So let's do it and make everyone happy! And if you're going to do it, use the red-and-black version of Bagan, I always liked that one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 09, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

I grew up playing Super Godzilla so I've always thought he was an awesome monster, he was an incredibly fun and epic boss fight even if he's not very hard (provided you're Super Godzilla that is!). I also love the music that plays during the final battle, the game had a great soundtrack and that was my favorite original song for sure. I do hope to see him used as major villain in a Godzilla movie one day.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote: I know you want to do it!
Do they? I feel like they gave up on Bagan years ago.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

mikelcho wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
THIS...just THIS...

I think it's a crime this kaiju hasn't been given a film and fought Godzilla in it yet.

C'mon Toho, make it happen - at least to honor Tomoyuki Tanaka's memory, if nothing else! You know you want to do it and I know you want to do it! So let's do it and make everyone happy! And if you're going to do it, use the red-and-black version of Bagan, I always liked that one.
Honestly, the "decided design" is too underrated. I'd even say it's the best Heisei design. It's not like the redesigns that made it had anything to offer.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon May 11, 2020 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Honestly, I think the settled design is one of the least interesting of his hypothetical looks. It pretty much reads mammalian Destoryah, although I do think Bagan's "official" design came out first. Regardless, I can't really comment on its ranking compared to other designs as it was never physical, which is highly unfair in my opinion. Going back to Destroyah (again due to similarities), while the design works great in non physical media, the transition to real world restrictions has some severe consequences on how the design is communicated. I feel that given the opportunity of a physical recreation, Bagan would fall ill to the same problem.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Honestly, I think the settled design is one of the least interesting of his hypothetical looks. It pretty much reads mammalian Destoryah, although I do think Bagan's "official" design came out first. Regardless, I can't really comment on its ranking compared to other designs as it was never physical, which is highly unfair in my opinion. Going back to Destroyah (again due to similarities), while the design works great in non physical media, the transition to real world restrictions has some severe consequences on how the design is communicated. I feel that given the opportunity of a physical recreation, Bagan would fall ill to the same problem.
The decided design was made for Mothra vs Bagan, which was conceptualized in 1990. As for the real world restrictions, there won't be any if they make it in CGI.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I understand what you are saying, but I don't really see the point in comparing a concept design, even with the potential to be rendered in cgi, to those impacted by the limitations of real world construction. To keep it simple, Destoroyah's design is forever linked to its suit's execution, and while an unadulterated CGI translation is still possible for both, I don't believe the perception of his design can be removed from perception of the physical design, a limitation Bagan doesn't share because he has remained in the media of 2d art. Now I do think the concept art would be comparable, but that would require ignoring the impacts of the finalized designs. For example, its not really fair to compare the completed work of Alien Covenant to Niel Blomkamp's draft Alien 5, because one has been fully realized, while the other has not.

I want to conclude with the notion that you can think anything you want. I don't want to come off as some design nazi who wont accept other opinions. Its your opinion and it is no more valid or justified than mine. I just find the idea of comparing concept works to completely realized designs to be kind of goofy.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I think Bagan isn’t that good. His Resurrection of Godzilla (1983) concept is cool though. Remember when everyone thought that there was “Leaked Footage of Bagan for Final Wars!”
For Emperor and Empire!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

VoyagerGoji wrote:I think Bagan isn’t that good. His Resurrection of Godzilla (1983) concept is cool though. Remember when everyone thought that there was “Leaked Footage of Bagan for Final Wars!”
Oh, please, not that :lol:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GigaBowserG wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:I think Bagan isn’t that good. His Resurrection of Godzilla (1983) concept is cool though. Remember when everyone thought that there was “Leaked Footage of Bagan for Final Wars!”
Oh, please, not that :lol:
So dumb.
For Emperor and Empire!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
You saying this made me feel old
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

Nowadays, I think I will reverse it: I like Bagan as a design, and find him a touch overhated. I do think the "BAGAN IS GODZILLA'S ULTIMATE STRONGEST BESTEST FOES GUYS!" stuff is a bit silly, but I rarely see that nowadays anyhow; it is mostly apathy at best, scorn at worst. If you take away his history with the franchise and the fandom, on its own, I do like Bagan's design quite a bit. It's simple, but very cool all the same.

I will say that I prefer his brown design from Super Godzilla to the white one from that Studio Tour game, though. The latter just seems stiff and overdesigned.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
You saying this made me feel old
You think? I had the Nes when it came out and played Mario along with Duck Hunt. :cry: