Bandai Namco's 『ゴジラ-GODZILLA-』PS3/PS4 GAME

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Re: Bandai Namco's 『ゴジラ-GODZILLA-』PS3/PS4 GAME

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I still enjoy booting this game up to play for a few hours/days straight every few months. My largest gripe with the gameplay mechanics is that it requires you keep your combo count as high as possible in order to grow. Some kaiju are just not meant for maintaining a high combo and not fighters (SpaceGodzilla comes to mind) and the game becomes frustratingly difficult with them. I would have rather liked to destroy the cities at my own pace, growth either being tied to destroying reactors/kaiju or not even a factor in the game. And to be able to aim beam attacks since you are stationary during the attacks!
Last edited by Spydrmanjr on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Gojira9310 wrote:Image

Would anyone else agree with this tier list I made for the (now pretty much dead) online mode balance for the game?
Yuup. Completely agree. I've been playing for only 2 days now. Beat Story Mode 100%, have a Time attack score of 8:37, & I have won ONE f'ing battle online. Everyone uses Godzilla 2014, Burning Godzilla, or one of the Ghidorahs. Only fight I've won was using "Phosphorus Mist Breath" Godzilla Heisei and trapping a "Spiral Ray" Godzilla in a corner and rope-a-doping him.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Am I crazy in liking this game even with its faults?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote:Am I crazy in liking this game even with its faults?
Yes, and I'm crazy too. It's not perfect but it has some highlights to it. I pop it in every now and then and enjoy it, though it does get old and repetitive rather quick.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote:
Yes, and I'm crazy too. It's not perfect but it has some highlights to it. I pop it in every now and then and enjoy it, though it does get old and repetitive rather quick.
Oh yeah....that whole reactors bull.....

But I can get past that but the controls man....why make it difficult. I mean I get it just dont want nor need it.

Also how high did this game go up in price?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

One tiny difference that would have greatly improved the gameplay for people is allow the Evolution store to pop up between stages and buy upgrades between stages and take effect immediately. The Godzillas (with the exception of G2014) are not that slow once you unlock their other movement options. Sure you can leave a campaign and buy upgrades but they don't take effect till you complete your current playthrough and start a new one. No wonder why people only played the game for 5 minutes, I wouldn't want to either if I was a filthy casual and knew I had to slog through an entire playthrough with an under-powered, slow Goji just to upgrade somewhat even once.

Adding to that, Jet Jaguar being to upgrade how many energy tanks you have. They made the requirements such you have to look them up on how to summon him, no person is gonna know to do it without looking it up or being told, they'd stumble upon it by accident and not know how to replicate it. Either make him show up normally like everyone else or not be needed to upgrade how many energy tanks you can have.

The Showa Mechagodzillas also could have used a fly forwards or boost attack like either Destroyer and Rodan or Kiryu.

Also it's bullshit that while you can just step on some of the smaller buildings as G2014, others you have to attack. It's really hard to keep up the destruction combo with what was then the new Godzilla.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Maritonic wrote:
Same. I pop it in once every few months, have fun for a hour or two, and then put it back for another few months. Game has its faults but its good for some fun if not played all the time
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Holy shiit.........This game is worth at least 150 bones?

Jesus, I didn't know it climbed so much.

Oh shiit better take care of it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I have the Japanese version on ps3 unopened as my crown jewel. Can't wait to play this next year on the PS5, that's going to be sweet. Living Corpse however made me want a Godzilla game universe now after talking about what a Rodan game could be.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Does remapping the controls help?
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:I have the Japanese version on ps3 unopened as my crown jewel. Can't wait to play this next year on the PS5, that's going to be sweet. Living Corpse however made me want a Godzilla game universe now after talking about what a Rodan game could be.
Ironically, just like with the movies, Mothra got her own game.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/monsters_fair.htm

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Whenever I have that Godzilla itch, this game goes a long way in satisfying it. Despite its flaws, I just love how it honestly does feel like I'm playing through one of the movies, and the amount of fan service put into it. It's my go to game to sit back and chill with for a good hour or two. I love the amount of monsters we get, but I do wish that we got a bit more, and that the variants didn't get separated slots. Showa MechaGodzilla, Battra, and Mothra should've only gotten one slot and you picked their different versions like you did with Heisei Godzilla. Maybe even give Gigan and Kiryu their different variants as well, and allowed for the latter to drop his weapon pack and get a speed boost.

What we got is, to me, a solid Godzilla game that shouldn't have been charged at full price; maybe people wouldn't have been so hard on it if it was $30 instead. I haven't touched the dead multiplayer though, and don't ever plan to either, lol.

#BotM

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

That's not why you're crazy.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

G1985 wrote:
That's not why you're crazy.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

It seems like the 2002 version of Kiryu was originally supposed to be a playable character in addition to the 2003 version. He is identified as "ch11", but lacks any actual character data. However, there are images for him in both Evolution mode and VS mode:

"ch08" is also missing, but his images are just duplicates of Hedorah's images. There's a few other images hinting to a bit of scrapped content, but I don't want to clutter the thread with more large images, and since the spoiler tags make the images too small to see, here's an imgur Album containing all of the other stuff I found. None of it is quite as interesting as the Kiryu images.

As a side note, the monsters in the PS3 version can actually be played as with a bit of hacking:
Spoiler:
None of them are in a finished state, but a couple kaiju (Super Mechagodzilla and Kiryu, if I remember correctly) have moves not seen in the PS4 version. All of them don't properly use energy bars and lack the "Emergency Dodges" seen in the PS4 version.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Oh man, Manda, Gorosauras, Ebirah, Kumonga, Gabara and Kamacuras were all considered.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira9310
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira9310 »

Megalon was so sorely missed in this game...Hell, it needed more Showa and Millennium representation in general. This game really was the Heisei Series incarnate.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gojira9310 wrote:Megalon was so sorely missed in this game...Hell, it needed more Showa and Millennium representation in general. This game really was the Heisei Series incarnate.
Well most of the models were based off Monster Art figures, which in itself overdoes the Heisei series at the expense of the others.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

It's funny they spent so much time on clones, they couldn't fit in a second Kiryu, which is pretty much just another clone.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

What gets me is it took this long to dig into the game's code? I would assume the other version of Kiryu was scrapped for 1960's Godzilla. Anything else within the game's code or are you folks still digging?
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.