STE vs DAMM

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.

Which game is better between STE and DAMM?

Save the Earth
75%
Destroy all Monsters
25%

Total votes: 60

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Re: STE vs DAMM

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Goji wrote:"Dumbed down graphics"?

I guess EVERYONE here has only played the PS2 version of STE. Clearly.

What do you mean by "the controls were odd now"? They were practically exactly the same. Nothing was lost in that department.
Wait, there was an XBOX version of the game?
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Wow...guess you glossed over everyone else's posts.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Goji wrote:Wow...guess you glossed over everyone else's posts.
Yeah. I end up doing that most of the time.
I didn't even know there was an XBOX Version of Save the Earth. I only knew of the PS2 version, which was the one I got.
Now I feel dumb.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

kamilleblu wrote:Although my experience with STE was limited, I remember the game having inferior graphics and slower game-play than its predecessor.
Yeah, the PS2 graphics were inferior like Goji said. However, the Xbox graphics were better

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

While STE had better graphics and more monsters/arenas, DAMM's gameplay was much better IMO.

For example: Playing in Easy mode on DAMM doesn't mean you would always win, depending on which monster you're fighting, and how good your skills are. In STE, however, the AI opponents act like still statues and hardly attack (even if they do, their attacks won't be very deadly).
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

godzilla98rules wrote: For example: Playing in Easy mode on DAMM doesn't mean you would always win, depending on which monster you're fighting, and how good your skills are. In STE, however, the AI opponents act like still statues and hardly attack (even if they do, their attacks won't be very deadly).
So basically what you're trying to say is that you think DAMM is harder then STE? Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I'm trying to get the overall point you're conveying.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No, the gameplay was not better in DAMM. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.

And actually, the CPU is really impressive on Hard difficulty in STE, so your complaints are invalid.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

Goji wrote:
And actually, the CPU is really impressive on Hard difficulty in STE,
This. From what I've seen of DAMM's hard mode compared to the years I've played STE on hard, it's no competition. STE's hard difficulty is by far superior.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

BurningGMK54 wrote:
Goji wrote:
And actually, the CPU is really impressive on Hard difficulty in STE,
This. From what I've seen of DAMM's hard mode compared to the years I've played STE on hard, it's no competition. STE's hard difficulty is by far superior.
The hard difficulty is good. I agree with this.
BurningGMK54 wrote: So basically what you're trying to say is that you think DAMM is harder then STE? Sorry if the question sounds stupid but I'm trying to get the overall point you're conveying.
I was mainly comparing the Easy difficulties, since I used to play them the most. IMO, DAMM is better than STE. For the other difficulties, I feel they're both the same.

Also, I do play STE on a 360, so the resulting lagging graphics could be the reason why I find DAMM better......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

STE for me, more characters, more stages etc. you know the drill.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

I got Save the Earth on XBOX and I gotta say, you end up sacrificing graphics for Gameplay. Save for the Beam Attacks, which look absolutely incredible compared to how they looked in DAMM, most of the monster's textures and Mothra Larvae's model just aren't that great. Anguirus looks obese with those textures, for crying out loud. But when I got past the five second intro that showed me the monsters' textures, I was in for a treat.
One of the things I noticed right off the bat is that rather than needing full energy to use your Atomic Breath, you just need to charge it up all the way. This actually can create some Beam Spam, and I'd prefer it if they kept it the way DAMM did. Other than that, it's actually way better than Destroy all Monsters Melee. There are more characters, beam clashes, the environments are better, combat feels a tad faster and M.O.G.U.E.R.A VERSION 2.
9/10.

Godzillasylum
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillasylum »

Godzilla Save The Earth hands down. That was and still is my favorite game of all time and always will be. I'm really hoping they come out with a follow up to it for current gen consoles because that would make me the happiest person in the world. STE had EVERY thing in that game, in my eyes that game was perfect :).
Good hunter... May you find your worth in the waking world.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

The whole Atari/Pipeworks trilogy is beast. They might even have ruined all future Godzilla games for me for one reason: the huge selection of playable monsters with their own movesets and a versus mode. I'm stoked for the upcoming Bandai/Namco game, but it looks like there is only going to be a few playable characters tops. What are the odds of another game with a playable roster just as big if not bigger?
Monsters are the real people.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I only own the Xbox version of StE so bear with me. The graphics in StE are garbage. It relies waaaaaaay too much on that bumpy, warty texture for the monsters and looks really unpleasant. Destroyed buildings look like an incoherent mess of grey and brown pixels on the ground. DaMM had a superior soundtrack as well. Speaking only for myself here, I get fucking pumped whenever that metal theme plays when I fight Mechagodzilla at the end. StE has a much better roster and I really like the vastly expanded arenas. my one gripe is in certain challenges where it's in traditional 3rd person it is very difficult to aim your beam weapon. The destruction challenges, while fun, are a bitch. You just barely have enough time to get the score you need and often times I end up failing. It's doable, but difficult.

All that being said the graphics might be better on another console. Don't know, don't particularly care either.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Breakdown wrote:I only own the Xbox version of StE so bear with me. The graphics in StE are garbage. It relies waaaaaaay too much on that bumpy, warty texture for the monsters and looks really unpleasant. Destroyed buildings look like an incoherent mess of grey and brown pixels on the ground. DaMM had a superior soundtrack as well. Speaking only for myself here, I get skreeonking pumped whenever that metal theme plays when I fight Mechagodzilla at the end. StE has a much better roster and I really like the vastly expanded arenas. my one gripe is in certain challenges where it's in traditional 3rd person it is very difficult to aim your beam weapon. The destruction challenges, while fun, are a bitch. You just barely have enough time to get the score you need and often times I end up failing. It's doable, but difficult.

All that being said the graphics might be better on another console. Don't know, don't particularly care either.
I agree with you here too.
The XBOX version is the better version. The graphics are even worse on the Playstation 2, plus the Playstation 2's controller doesn't feel right in this game.

Any way,
I'm going to go on a Save the Earth/Destroy All Monsters Melee nitpick spree.

Destroy All Monsters:
MechaGodzilla 2's roar is altered
Beam Weapons last for a long time and can occasionally deal no damage after the initial knockback (glitch?)
Some characters in the game (cough cough) are excruciatingly overpowered.
DEM BEAM GRAPHICS
Beam Weapons cannot be spammed by Godzilla 90's. This isn't movie accurate.

Save the Earth:
MechaGodzilla 2's roar is altered... still.
Godzilla 2000 has this annoying high pitched roar and won't shut up.
Kiryu and MechaGodzilla 2 swap roars sometimes.
DEM TEXTURES
Beam Weapons can be spammed by Godzilla 90's making him overpowered. This is movie accurate.