Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
User avatar
Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:36 am
Location: Right next to Mothra
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Gojira tai Mosura » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:32 am

Mr. Strange wrote:I don't mean to quibble, but I actually think Unleashed improved on StE in a ton of ways - though obviously it did fall short on some aspects, which really hurt the game's overall quality.

But even if StE is a better game overall, we shouldn't ignore the really great features G:U brought to the series - albeit in an imperfect package:

1 - Amazing custom game configuration system.
2 - Faction system.
3 - Improved powerup spawn (folks complained about powerup camping in StE, and I think we did a great job of fixing those issues in G:U)
4 - Better vehicles, military AI, & pathing.
5 - Better building destruction.
6 - Fully physics-based monster movement.
7 - Multi-thread animation system for characters.
8 - Better camera, 3&4 player support, and new game modes.

I do agree with this. I have a topic about "Do's and Don'ts: Godzilla Games" and that lists what we think should be in the next Godzilla game/Colossal Kaiju Combat.

I do feel that the Faction System needs some tweaking though. It doesn't tell you what makes others hate you/like you and sometimes it's straight up unfair when you unwillingly get knocked into a special building that make the GDF hate you. The worst crime about the Faction System is TEAMKILLING. If you're in a tough 2v2 battle, you're forced to NEVER use your heavy attacks in the odd case that you'll damage your partner. But in doing so, you're forced to take a pounding from the enemies since you'll never get rid of one health chip. Sometimes this can even get you in a deadlock, as the AI will relentlessly... block the entire battle. Since you can't use heavy attacks nor risk using throw you will ultimately never be able to win unless your partner leaves the area.

If you need to see what some others and I think what should/shouldn't be implemented in another Godzilla fighting game (or Colossal Kaiju Combat), you're more than welcome to read the topic.
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

User avatar
Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent
Posts: 416
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 am
Location: Sarchasm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Jatahaxe » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:03 am

In all my years of playing STE I've never fully understood how beam fights are supposed to work beyond mashing the buttons. The manual says something about different colors trumping out other colors that move towards the center and move the beam in whichever player's favor. Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal? Also, it seems literally impossible to win a beam fight in Hard mode. Unleashed made it a helluva lot simpler but it doesn't feel at all like a beam fight in one of the movies where the beam fights in STE at least felt a little bit like it. In G:U it's like a volleyball match.
Monsters are the real people.

User avatar
Smuggers
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2321
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm
Location: 連邦王国

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Smuggers » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:06 am

Jatahaxe wrote:Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal?

Yes. Blue beats green, green beats red and red beats blue.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

User avatar
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Mr. Strange » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Jatahaxe wrote:In all my years of playing STE I've never fully understood how beam fights are supposed to work beyond mashing the buttons. The manual says something about different colors trumping out other colors that move towards the center and move the beam in whichever player's favor. Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal? Also, it seems literally impossible to win a beam fight in Hard mode. Unleashed made it a helluva lot simpler but it doesn't feel at all like a beam fight in one of the movies where the beam fights in STE at least felt a little bit like it. In G:U it's like a volleyball match.


If it's any consolation, NOBODY understands the beam fight system very well. That said here's how it works:

It's a R-B-G loop like rock-paper-scissors. As Smuggers said, B>G>R>B.

BUT - you are allowed to change your color ONE TIME. By default, your color is "white" which loses to every color. So when a beam fight starts, you and your opponent both send a ball of white energy towards the center. That's your timer. You can press a button to change it to R,B, or G. Going "second" is a huge advantage if you can react properly - which you pretty much can't because of the timing.

But here's the idea - I select Red... then you pick Green. At the last minute I change my color, and you try to react. Did I change to Blue, to beat your green? If so, you should change to Red at the last minute. But maybe I anticipated that, and selected Green - so if you switch to Red I win!

If we tie, we each lose some energy and pick again. If someone runs out of energy this way, they lose. (This is why Space Godzilla DOES NOT like to beam fight - because his energy regen is precious!)

User avatar
Gojora
G-Grasper
Posts: 1110
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:22 pm
Location: Gensokyo

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Gojora » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 am

Mr. Strange wrote:
Jatahaxe wrote:In all my years of playing STE I've never fully understood how beam fights are supposed to work beyond mashing the buttons. The manual says something about different colors trumping out other colors that move towards the center and move the beam in whichever player's favor. Is it some kind of rock-paper-scissors-type deal? Also, it seems literally impossible to win a beam fight in Hard mode. Unleashed made it a helluva lot simpler but it doesn't feel at all like a beam fight in one of the movies where the beam fights in STE at least felt a little bit like it. In G:U it's like a volleyball match.


If it's any consolation, NOBODY understands the beam fight system very well. That said here's how it works:

It's a R-B-G loop like rock-paper-scissors. As Smuggers said, B>G>R>B.

BUT - you are allowed to change your color ONE TIME. By default, your color is "white" which loses to every color. So when a beam fight starts, you and your opponent both send a ball of white energy towards the center. That's your timer. You can press a button to change it to R,B, or G. Going "second" is a huge advantage if you can react properly - which you pretty much can't because of the timing.

But here's the idea - I select Red... then you pick Green. At the last minute I change my color, and you try to react. Did I change to Blue, to beat your green? If so, you should change to Red at the last minute. But maybe I anticipated that, and selected Green - so if you switch to Red I win!

If we tie, we each lose some energy and pick again. If someone runs out of energy this way, they lose. (This is why Space Godzilla DOES NOT like to beam fight - because his energy regen is precious!)

:spacegodzilla: <(my.....PRECIOUS!)
Now I'm imagining space godzilla being voiced by gollum.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.

Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:15 pm


This game is possibly more fun than Unleashed. Game of my childhood.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm

I do feel that the Faction System needs some tweaking though. It doesn't tell you what makes others hate you/like you and sometimes it's straight up unfair when you unwillingly get knocked into a special building that make the GDF hate you. The worst crime about the Faction System is TEAMKILLING. If you're in a tough 2v2 battle, you're forced to NEVER use your heavy attacks in the odd case that you'll damage your partner. But in doing so, you're forced to take a pounding from the enemies since you'll never get rid of one health chip. Sometimes this can even get you in a deadlock, as the AI will relentlessly... block the entire battle. Since you can't use heavy attacks nor risk using throw you will ultimately never be able to win unless your partner leaves the area.

I never had the teamkilling issue save once or twice, and I always thought the GDF faction thing was tied to number of buildings more so than (but occasionally including) landmarks.

I love STE and GU for very different reasons but I still find the latter an extraordinarily underrated game compared to the former, and that's from someone who considers STE their introduction to the Godzilla franchise.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2149
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Tommy Wiseau's Green Prostate

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Young Guy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:51 am

Zentenk wrote:I don't know if PS2 is different than Wii but for PS2 I enjoyed the gameplay, but the story sucked (text and still shots like it is SNES), horrible music and graphic select screens... STE blew that all away.


WHAT?! Horrible music?!

I agree STE is leagues above Unleashed in the gameplay department, but definitely not music. STE had like, 5 randomly played tracks that were all generic (except for the one with the electric guitar riff). Have you heard Moguera and Jet Jaguar's themes from Unleashed? They're beautiful.

JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:01 am

Young Guy wrote:
Zentenk wrote:I don't know if PS2 is different than Wii but for PS2 I enjoyed the gameplay, but the story sucked (text and still shots like it is SNES), horrible music and graphic select screens... STE blew that all away.


WHAT?! Horrible music?!

I agree STE is leagues above Unleashed in the gameplay department, but definitely not music. STE had like, 5 randomly played tracks that were all generic (except for the one with the electric guitar riff). Have you heard Moguera and Jet Jaguar's themes from Unleashed? They're beautiful.


Shh, don't let them catch you saying nice things about GU!
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 2149
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:56 am
Location: Tommy Wiseau's Green Prostate

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Young Guy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:27 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.

Just replace Obsidius with someone else and you're right.

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:51 am

Young Guy wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.

Just replace Obsidius with someone else and you're right.

Krystalak as well
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2944
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:36 pm

CheetoKamper wrote:
Young Guy wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.

Just replace Obsidius with someone else and you're right.

Krystalak as well

Put Zilla and Hedorah in both of their spots.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Mr. Strange wrote:These files do NOT exist on the Xbox version


Interestingly, the files actually do exist.



The HUD doesn't get displayed correctly however.
Long live the King

Image

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:18 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Put Zilla and Hedorah in both of their spots.

I'd prefer Hedorah and Gabara or Varan.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
Godzillasylum
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:46 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Godzillasylum » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:47 pm

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Just put Godzilla: Save the earth's gameplay and Godzilla: Unleashed's monster roster together and you got one of the best skreeonking Godzilla games ever.

And add in the graphics from this Godzilla game! KAZAAAM! The best Godzilla game to ever hail outside of Monster Island.
Good hunter... May you find your worth in the waking world.

User avatar
Kaijunator
Kwaidan
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:19 pm
Location: Everywhere doing everything
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Kaijunator » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 pm

CheetoKamper wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Put Zilla and Hedorah in both of their spots.

I'd prefer Hedorah and Gabara or Varan.

Varan is in Unleashed. I'd prefer they keep Krystalak and Obsidius. I think they're cool kaiju.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

User avatar
Mr. Strange
Interpol Agent
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Mr. Strange » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:12 pm

The Godzilla King wrote:
Mr. Strange wrote:These files do NOT exist on the Xbox version


Interestingly, the files actually do exist.

The HUD doesn't get displayed correctly however.


I'm surprised! Thanks for sharing this.

JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:17 pm

Wait, Biollante was at G-FEST? Shoot, if I'd known that I'd have checked it out. Of course, I was only there Sunday afternoon. If it's happening next year, I'd love to know. I always had a feeling she was unlockable -- there's references to her in the PS2 game disc, but I had no idea how to enable them. I do recall bringing it up here in the long, long ago.

When I think of STE, the main things I miss that weren't carried over into GU were the Survival and Challenge modes, and by extension, Action mode. I like to imagine for a fourth Pipeworks game, it might've been cool to see a Story mode like GU's and a simplified one like DAMM and STE's. In terms of versus/melee/etc. I thought GU effectively improved upon those areas.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 551
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:21 am

JVM wrote:Wait, Biollante was at G-FEST? Shoot, if I'd known that I'd have checked it out. Of course, I was only there Sunday afternoon. If it's happening next year, I'd love to know. I always had a feeling she was unlockable -- there's references to her in the PS2 game disc, but I had no idea how to enable them. I do recall bringing it up here in the long, long ago.


It's actually very simple, just a little bit of hex editing the vol file.

JVM wrote:When I think of STE, the main things I miss that weren't carried over into GU were the Survival and Challenge modes, and by extension, Action mode.


I think Survival may have been a feature originally planned to be in Godzilla Unleashed. There's a file in the game called "GameType_Survival" or something like that.
Long live the King

Image


Return to “Toho Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests