Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
User avatar
Zentenk
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 268
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Zentenk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 pm

If you can, join this Facebook group... we have STE fight nights sometimes on Xlink Kai: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/138803779463911/

User avatar
Showa Gojira
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Showa Gojira » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:19 am

Something I've always been curious about, why wasn't there ever a last monster standing mode in this or the game preceding it? When playing with two players you can set it to be a battle to the death, but add any more monsters, and points are always the deciding factor. I always disliked this and it's a big part of why my friends and don't play it as often as say Super Smash Bros. (it would be like being forced to play time mode). I feel like it would have been the easiest mode to add and it would've made multiplayer a lot more fun. As much as I love this game and Godzilla destroy all monsters melee, being forced to play with the point system in 3-4 player matches hurt the game's replayability.
Like Giant Monsters? Like Video games? check out the game my brother and I are making!

Image

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5609

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 pm

Showa Gojira wrote:Something I've always been curious about, why wasn't there ever a last monster standing mode in this or the game preceding it? When playing with two players you can set it to be a battle to the death, but add any more monsters, and points are always the deciding factor. I always disliked this and it's a big part of why my friends and don't play it as often as say Super Smash Bros. (it would be like being forced to play time mode). I feel like it would have been the easiest mode to add and it would've made multiplayer a lot more fun. As much as I love this game and Godzilla destroy all monsters melee, being forced to play with the point system in 3-4 player matches hurt the game's replayability.


Well probably one of the biggest complaints about the new Godzilla game was that people would get teamed up on and killed quickly and then they're forced to sit and watch everyone else play while you sit there doing nothing, that's not exactly a fun way to play so instead they made it a point system to avoid something like that, personally I don't see an issue with it for online it wasn't exactly the most advanced game and likely there wasn't enough budget/time to add something like that for STE.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
Showa Gojira
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Showa Gojira » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:45 pm

CheetoKamper wrote:Well probably one of the biggest complaints about the new Godzilla game was that people would get teamed up on and killed quickly and then they're forced to sit and watch everyone else play while you sit there doing nothing, that's not exactly a fun way to play so instead they made it a point system to avoid something like that, personally I don't see an issue with it for online it wasn't exactly the most advanced game and likely there wasn't enough budget/time to add something like that for STE.

As somebody who gets teamed up on in a LOT of games, I would much prefer being able to end my enemies than them constantly respawning and abusing the point system in cowardly ways. Like running away from a fight to get killed by another enemy, denying you points. Or stealing a hard earned kill. At the very least 4 player elimination should have been an option because it seems like a no-brainer.
Like Giant Monsters? Like Video games? check out the game my brother and I are making!

Image

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5609

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Showa Gojira wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:Well probably one of the biggest complaints about the new Godzilla game was that people would get teamed up on and killed quickly and then they're forced to sit and watch everyone else play while you sit there doing nothing, that's not exactly a fun way to play so instead they made it a point system to avoid something like that, personally I don't see an issue with it for online it wasn't exactly the most advanced game and likely there wasn't enough budget/time to add something like that for STE.

As somebody who gets teamed up on in a LOT of games, I would much prefer being able to end my enemies than them constantly respawning and abusing the point system in cowardly ways. Like running away from a fight to get killed by another enemy, denying you points. Or stealing a hard earned kill. At the very least 4 player elimination should have been an option because it seems like a no-brainer.


You can fight out of it in a point system too. And people run away WITH elimination anyway it's not like that stops it. You're acting like the point system completely changes the way people play but it doesn't. If anything the point system kept people from running away, you get more points actually being in the fight than trying to pick people off with beam attacks. You got points for knockdowns which if someone blocks even a fully charged beam it won't get the knock down points. Yeah once in awhile they'd get 500 points but those knock downs and 50 points for a combo add up. Like I said people will and do play that way in elimination, and when they pick you off to hell you're dead rather than re spawning behind them or something and you can actually get a few hits on them. Most of the things you said happen with the points system happens just as much without it.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4596
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby GigaBowserG » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:01 pm

I've never really had a problem with the points system... It's very fun, especially in four-player scenarios. However, it can be easy to cheese if you're going after the ones closest to being KO'd. Still, I don't mind at all "stock" matches like in GU where once a monster is down, it's down for good. Can be pretty nice to kick back and watch other people knock one another around.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
Showa Gojira
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Showa Gojira » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:15 am

CheetoKamper wrote:You can fight out of it in a point system too. And people run away WITH elimination anyway it's not like that stops it. You're acting like the point system completely changes the way people play but it doesn't. If anything the point system kept people from running away, you get more points actually being in the fight than trying to pick people off with beam attacks. You got points for knockdowns which if someone blocks even a fully charged beam it won't get the knock down points. Yeah once in awhile they'd get 500 points but those knock downs and 50 points for a combo add up. Like I said people will and do play that way in elimination, and when they pick you off to hell you're dead rather than re spawning behind them or something and you can actually get a few hits on them. Most of the things you said happen with the points system happens just as much without it.

True, but in an elimination match they can only run away until they are killed or until they manage to kill their rivals. In a point match they can run away and get killed by somebody who has less points than the person they're fighting, and then jump back into the fray with full health. I would rather lose in a fight to the finish instead of losing by a few points because people were on the defensive or running away before the time ran out. It's the same reason I never play time mode on any Super Smash Bros games. To each their own though, I'm not trying to say the point system is all bad, merely wondering why an easy to add alternative wasn't added until the third game in the franchise.
Like Giant Monsters? Like Video games? check out the game my brother and I are making!

Image

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5609

User avatar
CheetoKamper
Interpol Agent
Posts: 715
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:02 am
Location: Evergreen Park IL
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby CheetoKamper » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:51 am

Showa Gojira wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:You can fight out of it in a point system too. And people run away WITH elimination anyway it's not like that stops it. You're acting like the point system completely changes the way people play but it doesn't. If anything the point system kept people from running away, you get more points actually being in the fight than trying to pick people off with beam attacks. You got points for knockdowns which if someone blocks even a fully charged beam it won't get the knock down points. Yeah once in awhile they'd get 500 points but those knock downs and 50 points for a combo add up. Like I said people will and do play that way in elimination, and when they pick you off to hell you're dead rather than re spawning behind them or something and you can actually get a few hits on them. Most of the things you said happen with the points system happens just as much without it.

True, but in an elimination match they can only run away until they are killed or until they manage to kill their rivals. In a point match they can run away and get killed by somebody who has less points than the person they're fighting, and then jump back into the fray with full health. I would rather lose in a fight to the finish instead of losing by a few points because people were on the defensive or running away before the time ran out. It's the same reason I never play time mode on any Super Smash Bros games. To each their own though, I'm not trying to say the point system is all bad, merely wondering why an easy to add alternative wasn't added until the third game in the franchise.

I've always enjoyed that aspect though, someone's distracted by someone else running rather than hoping to somehow get the kill first I always just go for the person so focused on the kill, to me it's more frantic and makes it enjoyable but yeah I also enjoy the fight till death aspect.

My guess would have to be at least for Save the Earth they were just trying to make online play less complicated, I mean the entire online aspect was extremely simplified to the point where I don't think you could change how long a melee or destruction match would last. Honestly I could've done without an online destruction mode if there's four people the map becomes very small because you can only go so far away from eachother.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

User avatar
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:45 pm
Location: My house.

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:49 am

Godzilla Unleashed, Imma' let you finish but STE has minigames and more clearer graphics (IMO).
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.

Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.


http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 am

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Godzilla Unleashed, Imma' let you finish but STE has minigames and more clearer graphics (IMO).


Really? I think PS2 Unleashed looks better than StE, not sure on Wii Unleashed.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

JVM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5173
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby JVM » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:19 pm

GU PS2 has better textures in my opinion, but STE PS2 has a much better framerate and moves more smoothly. Sort of depends on your priorities.

I own DAMM on GameCube and STE on PS2, but I got a copy of DAMM on Xbox and after purchasing a new hard drive, got it working the other day. Thinking of getting STE on Xbox as well if the price is right -- how's the backwards comparability? DAMM runs fine on my machine.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

User avatar
Showa Gojira
Samurai
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Showa Gojira » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:01 am

JVM wrote:GU PS2 has better textures in my opinion, but STE PS2 has a much better framerate and moves more smoothly. Sort of depends on your priorities.

I own DAMM on GameCube and STE on PS2, but I got a copy of DAMM on Xbox and after purchasing a new hard drive, got it working the other day. Thinking of getting STE on Xbox as well if the price is right -- how's the backwards comparability? DAMM runs fine on my machine.


Personally I think Godzilla Unleashed looks better, which is one of it's few advantages. I'm also curious about STE 's backwards compatibility because I found a copy of it for the original Xbox at a retro game store.
Like Giant Monsters? Like Video games? check out the game my brother and I are making!

Image

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5609

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6412
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Goji » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:20 am

The Xbox version of STE is the only version you should be playing, anyway. The PS2 version isn't unplayable or anything, but once you go XB, you never go back. It's most definitely the superior port (And yes, it runs smoothly on the 360).

User avatar
g2vd
Kwaidan
Posts: 6917
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby g2vd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:39 am

Showa Gojira wrote:
JVM wrote:GU PS2 has better textures in my opinion, but STE PS2 has a much better framerate and moves more smoothly. Sort of depends on your priorities.

I own DAMM on GameCube and STE on PS2, but I got a copy of DAMM on Xbox and after purchasing a new hard drive, got it working the other day. Thinking of getting STE on Xbox as well if the price is right -- how's the backwards comparability? DAMM runs fine on my machine.


Personally I think Godzilla Unleashed looks better, which is one of it's few advantages. I'm also curious about STE 's backwards compatibility because I found a copy of it for the original Xbox at a retro game store.

Get it. The Xbox Version is the superior verson.
Godzilla

User avatar
Komenja
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Komenja » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Gonna have to echo everyone else: Grab that XBOX copy of STE if you can, it totally works on 360.

And ditto, I think Unleashed had better character models but that's kind of it.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:14 am

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby StAiRcAsE KiTtY » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:12 pm

I really wish they'd add this game to the PS4 store.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!


RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:38 pm

StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:I really wish they'd add this game to the PS4 store.

You and me both, having at least one game from the Vortaak trilogy on current gen's stores would be great, and it probably would end up being StE, first off anyways. I mean we got Super Star Wars, a fun game even with its difficulty, and who the skreeonk asked for that? Yeah it was promoting the new films, but still: if we can get a game like Super Star Wars we should be allowed a port of StE or Unleashed. I mean I like Godzilla: The Game, I'm a big fan of the Generations style and love how accurate it is to the films, but I've seen a lot of demand recently to get another Vortaak trilogy style game and I really want a 4th game to. I mean, imagine what they could do with that gameplay on current gen? I want them to go all out if they ever go back to that style, I want my balls-to-the-walls nuts kaiju action. Screw film accuracy with that gameplay, I wanna shoryuken Gigan and then jump and send him flying with a spinning tail-slam followed up by drop-kicking Megalon.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image

User avatar
Komenja
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 349
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby Komenja » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:44 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:I really wish they'd add this game to the PS4 store.

You and me both, having at least one game from the Vortaak trilogy on current gen's stores would be great, and it probably would end up being StE, first off anyways. I mean we got Super Star Wars, a fun game even with its difficulty, and who the skreeonk asked for that? Yeah it was promoting the new films, but still: if we can get a game like Super Star Wars we should be allowed a port of StE or Unleashed. I mean I like Godzilla: The Game, I'm a big fan of the Generations style and love how accurate it is to the films, but I've seen a lot of demand recently to get another Vortaak trilogy style game and I really want a 4th game to. I mean, imagine what they could do with that gameplay on current gen? I want them to go all out if they ever go back to that style, I want my balls-to-the-walls nuts kaiju action. Screw film accuracy with that gameplay, I wanna shoryuken Gigan and then jump and send him flying with a spinning tail-slam followed up by drop-kicking Megalon.


Woah mama, if this game was re-released with online multiplayer servers... I don't think I'd do anything else but work, sleep, and get wrecked online for weeks straight.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

User avatar
The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby The Godzilla King » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:52 pm

Does anyone know if the PS2 version used Gamespy servers? Just curious.

By the way, Biollante is actually playable in the Xbox version as well. Without going into detail, you just need to extract biollante.zip, rename the biollante.cmf to whoever (Godzilla2k for example), then rezip the file and rename it to whoever (Godzilla2k) and paste it over the existing zip file.
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations, Director."

Youtube Channel

User avatar
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1638
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:44 am
Location: TK's Gentlemen Club

Re: Godzilla: Save the Earth discussion

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:08 pm

Komenja wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
StAiRcAsE KiTtY wrote:I really wish they'd add this game to the PS4 store.

You and me both, having at least one game from the Vortaak trilogy on current gen's stores would be great, and it probably would end up being StE, first off anyways. I mean we got Super Star Wars, a fun game even with its difficulty, and who the skreeonk asked for that? Yeah it was promoting the new films, but still: if we can get a game like Super Star Wars we should be allowed a port of StE or Unleashed. I mean I like Godzilla: The Game, I'm a big fan of the Generations style and love how accurate it is to the films, but I've seen a lot of demand recently to get another Vortaak trilogy style game and I really want a 4th game to. I mean, imagine what they could do with that gameplay on current gen? I want them to go all out if they ever go back to that style, I want my balls-to-the-walls nuts kaiju action. Screw film accuracy with that gameplay, I wanna shoryuken Gigan and then jump and send him flying with a spinning tail-slam followed up by drop-kicking Megalon.


Woah mama, if this game was re-released with online multiplayer servers... I don't think I'd do anything else but work, sleep, and get wrecked online for weeks straight.


Know what else would be great? If they allowed Biollante to be accessed as a secret character, like Akuma in some of the Street Fighter games. I mean, she is fully completed in the game.

Added in 13 minutes 21 seconds:
Actually, here's a question. Who was your guy's and girl's main/s? Doesn't just have to be in StE, could be any of the three games. My main, because I'm more of a 'shoto' guy, was always Godzilla 90s. My main was Godzilla 90s throughout the entire series. I am just that basic.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Image


Return to “Toho Video Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest