Will Godzilla come to E3?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Re: Will Godzilla come to E3?

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

I suppose you're right, but how do we know that insert name of developer here isn't planning something else. We don't
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Legion1979 wrote:Yes.

Considering the high licensing fees, Toho's overprotective nature of their character, their disinterest in crossovers and upcoming 2014 tie-in licensing, I reeaaaaalllly don't see Godzilla turning up in Kaiju Combat. To me, this is nothing but a glorified fan project, and since when has Toho ever been okay with those?
...since they've been keeping in contact with the director, who's worked with them since GDAMM?
I don't know if you keep up with the project or not, but the biggest obstacle isn't so much the inevitable 2014 tie-in, but sales figures. Toho has already come out saying they'd be totally down with granting their license to CKC if sales are good enough. That, and the series would need to have good sales anyway to pick up any license.

I am very curious about the 2014 tie-in game, though. Toho has some pretty strict policies when it comes to Godzilla games, such as not allowing Godzilla or other monsters to die, or not be too overwhelmed by the military. Whoever is holding the license now is going to be in for a ride :P
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

If the game does sell well, it wouldn't be difficult to believe that Toho would see it as an opportunity to make money.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Showa Gyaos wrote:If the game does sell well, it wouldn't be difficult to believe that Toho would see it as an opportunity to make money.
and that's what it's all about these days huh?
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:If the game does sell well, it wouldn't be difficult to believe that Toho would see it as an opportunity to make money.
and that's what it's all about these days huh?
Toho's a company. A company's main focus is to make money. It sounds logical to me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Money corrupts.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Money corrupts.
It's not like Toho isn't corrupt already.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

Pretty much none of the MCU movies, none of the Nolan movies save for "Begins", and Man of Steel did not receive tie-in-games.
And nothing is more marketable than superheroes.
There's no way G2014 is getting a game. I can just guarantee it won't
TK's self-proclaimed Green Lantern
Godzilla VS the Sea Monster is my favorite movie. I'm that guy.

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I really don't get why everyone is saying that what ever insert name of developer here is gonna be making a movie tie-in game, really I don't see that working at all. There will be only three monsters in the new film (lots of variety there) and playing as the military for the whole thing would be kindof a turn-off for some people.
First of all, why would a developer buy such an expensive and niche license and then NOT make a game for it?

Secondly, why would a Godzilla game either have to be one of those lame wrestling games from Atari or a military game? Have you never seen Godzilla Generations? Super Godzilla? Godzilla Monster of Monsters? A game can be perfectly fine just playing as the big guy himself. And we are LONG overdue for another game that lets us smash cities down to the ground.

Anyway, nobody honestly expected this to be at E3. I'm hoping it will be like the Transformers games - they were made because of the new movies, but had nothing to do with them and were VERY high quality games that stood on their own.
Gamera: Guardian of Earth and Friend of All Children*

*except those who are currently out of his immediate field of vision. Sorry.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The atari games were not wrestling games.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

miguelnuva wrote:The atari games were not wrestling games.
They had much more in common with a wrestling game than any actual fighting game. It's basically WWE with monster costumes.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Black Lion wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:The atari games were not wrestling games.
They had much more in common with a wrestling game than any actual fighting game. It's basically WWE with monster costumes.
As a fan of both they weren't like wrestling games. They had some elements both they were fighting games.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Black Lion
Monsterland Worker

Post by Black Lion »

Hellspawn28 wrote:
EikoHarvey wrote:Pretty much none of the MCU movies
Iron Man 1-2, Captain America, Thor and Hulk '08 got video games. I do think we could see a new Godzilla video game, but the chances are that it might be a mobile game. I think we see less movie tie in games now these days because they sell poorly. During the 80's, 90's and most of the 2000's it was more common but now it seems pretty rare.
It's because movie tie-in games are made poorly. They're going out of style in the traditional sense, but they've just taken and new and better form.

New movies of geek franchises are spawning games that are unrelated to the movie itself, but are part of the new campaign for the franchise as a whole. I already mentioned the Transformers games that were kicked off by the movies, and the Batman Arkham games were also only possible because of Nolan's renewal of Batman interest, yet they are completely different and considered some of if not THE best games of the generation.