Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Zilla103192
Keizer

Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters

Post by Zilla103192 »

Sorry if there is a thread for this game, I am posting from my Ipod and the search feature is even worse on it then on a computer (I know... hard to believe right?)

But discuss this.. popular? unpopular? hated? loved? Godzilla game.

I honestly don't know what the general opinon on this game is... I hardly even hear anything about it.

I played it several times and it's pretty EHHHHHHHHH...

It's not bad, but not great either. I like the few games that let you play as the military.

Now.. the real reason I made this thread...

WHY IS THIS GAME SO EXPENSIVE NOW?!

seriously! MoM is only like $5 on ebay!

This game is on average, $100. Anyone know why?
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Don't freak out, the peoe selling it to you are trying to do a favor by making it expensive so you don't have to play this game. Last time I played it, I was really young and at that age you pretty much like any video game. Buuuut this game left such a bad impression on me that still to this day, I have not played it.
Resized Image

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

I guess the cart itself is rare, but my god I hated that game. The music still gets stuck in my head from time to time, though.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Post by Handsome Jack »

I saw the AVGN review it. He said it sucks.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

while i dont agree with his G:MOM review i whole heartily agree with his thoughts on this game. IMO his didnt do it justice, it sucks more than he described it....like alot more
Resized Image

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

It's a piece of shit. I have nothing more to say about it.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I have alot to say about this game. I could rant on for days about how bad it is
Resized Image

Handsome Jack
G-Force Personnel

Post by Handsome Jack »

Beef Bigshot wrote:I have alot to say about this game. I could rant on for days about how bad it is
Then let's here it.
What’s that saying? Don’t pick a fight with a man with nothing left to lose? I’m going to show you just how much you have left to lose.

Where the hell is -- I had a violin somewhere, I was gonna play it all sarcastically --goddammit, I saw it like a day ago. Blake! Violin!

You are a bandit AND I AM THE GODDAMN HERO!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I for one enjoy playing as the Defense Force for once. It's a fun little strategy game. Just figure out how to use each unit properly, and gang up on the monsters while sending damaged units back to their bases for repairs, while sending other, full HP units out. Simple as that. And the slot machine isn't as unfair as some would make it out to be.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I'll agree with Space Hunter. I for one loved this game, I enjoy a good turn based strategy game especially if it has Godzilla. Not to mentioned its on of the very few games that allow you to play as the Self Defense Force which to me is a plus. I do detest the slot machine mechanic however. I wouldn't say its unfair, it's just lucked based like a slot machine should be.

As for why this game skyrocketed in price? No clue :\

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

the concept of bing the military and fighting giant monster in a turn based strategy game is awesome.....but i feel lik they broke it.....then dumped a pile of [INFORMATION REDACTED] on it by adding the slot machine. i NEVER can kill a monster in it. its sad when mothra larvae beats you.

since im really fond of pixelized games and sprites.....this game delivers, but its not really that great. compared to G:MOM, its definitely a step down in alot of places.
Resized Image

GojiLamb
Samurai

Post by GojiLamb »

Um.. they've already made a game called war of the monsters. It's for the PS2. It would have to be called something else.
To defend the world from devastation, to unite all people within our nation, to.... uh. Ah crap I forgot the rest.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

GojiLamb wrote:Um.. they've already made a game called war of the monsters. It's for the PS2. It would have to be called something else.
*Facepalm

bro......this is on the NES.......which came WAAAAAAAAY before the PS2...........why?
Resized Image

primortal
Yojimbo

Post by primortal »

This game was both the highlight and the disappointment of my sixth birthday back in the day. The picture on the cover kicked ass! Fiery red Godzilla looming over some buildings... WAR OF THE MONSTERS! YEAH! Images of a better version of 'Monster of Monsters' dancing through my head... then I played it...

I guess the best way to describe the feeling would be like being chosen (back when you were a kid, playing with your friends) to fight as the losing side of a game of 'War' set in a battle you KNOW your side lost at. Godzilla 2 felt like being chosen to fight in an extremely hopeless situation. So yeah... bad times.

Now, in today's gaming world... the concept of playing the military against Godzilla (and almost EVERY other Toho Kaiju) COULD be, at least, an interesting visual experience.

But in this game? It meant chipping away at vastly more powerful foes till you either run them down in a war of attrition, or they (usually) kill your ass. And since I was a Godzilla fan... thus WHY I was even playing a Godzilla game... it felt... odd to play AGAINST my favorite monster. e_e

The only saving graces were the levels that let you play as the Super-X, the SY-3 or Mothra.

The Godzilla King
Interpol Agent

Post by The Godzilla King »

Was this game ever released in Japan? I'm asking because there's a lot of leftover Japanese text in the rom.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like it, I do kind of wish they did a game similiar to the first NES Godzilla but I remember being super happy each time I took down a monster.

One time it was down to just a radio car and Baragon, everything else was destroyed or killed. Fate was smiling on me and I got three blue attacks without even trying and killed Baragon with one hit. My older brother was there too and we went wild.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

I owned this game as a kid. Bought it from the video rental store for $2 when the store went out of business. Years later, high school to be exact, I swapped my NES collection with a friend (nothing permanent, it was only to play games we never played before), and he damaged my Godzilla 2 game. I was so bummed about it. Fast forward to about 3 years ago, I had my parents ship out all my retro gaming hardware because I was feeling nostalgic. Once I received all of it, I remembered how I no longer owned it. Searched on Ebay and other sites high and low and the average cost was about $75 shipped, with no case or manual. I lucked out though. Found someone who sold it to me for $25 on craigslist. Played it that day and man it was great! Even though the game is inferior to G:MOM, it definitely has it's moments. Getting three pieces in a row had me jumping and shouting with joy, especially when it came to destroying tougher monsters like KG. I'd have to say that my nemesis though is that damn U.F.O. I hated that boss soooooo much.

Anyways, I thought I'd share this. I was bitter that I don't have the original box for this game so I actually re-created/remastered the cover and printed my own box to make it!

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

I remember playing this game when I was first getting into Godzilla. It was meh, but one thing that caught me off guard was the "H-Bomb." Back then, I thought that H-Bomb meant something like Highpower Bomb (don't question it), so I decided to bring it new a monster and activate it.
Instant, no I mean LITERALLY INSTANT Game Over.
What's the point of having a weapon like that in the game if all it's going to do is immediately bring you to the "HAHA YOU'RE A FOOL" screen with Godzilla staring at the player around a crumbling city? Is it just this game's version of a "QUIT GAME" button?!
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

EDIT: Sorry, I was confused in the types of military units. The Destroyer was the unit was thinking of that instant KO's Godzilla in the water. The A-Bomb is meant to go on the Trailer to lure Godzilla in the direction you want it to go. That's its main purpose, other than blowing up everything. :-)

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Handsome Jack wrote:I saw the AVGN review it. He said it sucks.
He's also kinda bad at the games he does play too, I've noticed.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.