Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla 2: War of the Monsters

Post by toho_guy01 »

I kinda like it. The gameplay can be really good if your into strategy games and has a few good things like the graphics and even the monster selection. All in all, a decent game.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

I love this game. ADORE it! My all-time favorite Godzilla vid game, as I'm both a wargamer and a kaiju fan (which is why I also like the Mothra Vs Godzilla and Godzilla Electronic Battle Game, as they're also military/kaiju hybrids). Utilizing basic military strategy, it's a cinch to kill every monster in every level without losing a single unit of your own, base, or even a city square (except for those lost when a monster moves first in the level before you can). While most kaiju gamers like to fight as the monsters, I prefer fighting as the military and take down the monsters.

Most people I've seen playing this just throw their units into straightforward agressive attacks against the monsters and act all shocked when they lose in a few turns. The key is to use the weak units (fighters, bombers, tanks) as they're intended to be used-defensive units, to DELAY monsters while more powerful units (maser, SY-3, Mothra Eggs, Super-X, etc) are developed. Never attack with the weak units-absorb damage with them, pull them out of the line and resupply them at a base while you rotate another into the line (since a monster can only attack one unit a turn...as long as you don't attack it). This keeps the monster pinned down and gives your bases the time they need to get those superweapons produced. And always use the units special features-don't waste them in futile attacks. Use the trailer to haul the A-Bomb or to transport parts faster to the bases. Use the radar to freeze Ghidorah, find the Mothra eggs, or ferret out Baragon. Use the freeze ray on Hedorah, and never attack him when he's in the water. Use the Super-X against beam monsters, attack with it only if you can take out a weakened enemy, otherwise only use reflect on defense (especially against the UFO...often one shot kills there). And while the SY-3 is powerful, it needs to be resupplied after taking several rounds of damage and should never be risked at low power. Mothra (as an ally) works great to web and freeze enemies and adult Mothra can cause massive suicide attack damage in a rough spot.

The only Godzilla game I like better is the PC disk version "Godzilla", which is pretty much the same game but with a lot more options and way better graphics.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Honestly, it wouldn't bother me as much if it weren't touted as a sequel to Godzilla: Monster of Monsters. In that game, Godzilla and Mothra are heroes. In Godzilla 2, that narrative is completely ignored without any context given between both titles.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

BurningGMK54
Monsterland Worker

Post by BurningGMK54 »

Tatsunoshi wrote:I love this game. ADORE it! My all-time favorite Godzilla vid game, as I'm both a wargamer and a kaiju fan (which is why I also like the Mothra Vs Godzilla and Godzilla Electronic Battle Game, as they're also military/kaiju hybrids). Utilizing basic military strategy, it's a cinch to kill every monster in every level without losing a single unit of your own, base, or even a city square (except for those lost when a monster moves first in the level before you can). While most kaiju gamers like to fight as the monsters, I prefer fighting as the military and take down the monsters.
Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on some of the other Godzilla strategy games out there that you didn't mention like Godzilla: Giant Monster March or Godzilla: Archipelago Shock?

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Chris55 wrote:
Handsome Jack wrote:I saw the AVGN review it. He said it sucks.
He's also kinda bad at the games he does play too, I've noticed.
I don't think I've ever seen him play a game well. :lol: Hence why I'll never be able to take his reviews as anything more than jokes at best.
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

BurningGMK54 wrote:Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on some of the other Godzilla strategy games out there that you didn't mention like Godzilla: Giant Monster March or Godzilla: Archipelago Shock?
Godzilla: MOM was actually a better game overall than Godzilla 2 but three things kept it from surpassing it in my opinion-
1) It was a Game Gear game...at the end of the day when I want to relax with some gaming, I want it on my TV set, not a small screen.
2) For a strategy game, I preferred the slot machine mechanic of G2 to the goofy combat of MOM-it better simulated the dice mechanic that's an integral part of most every wargame (which in itself simulates the uncertainy of combat and the role luck and random chance plays).
3) Only 5 Godzilla scenarios versus 12 in G2, and G2 did scenarios for other Toho films like Mothra and Rodan.
It's still a great game. In color, cool levels based on the actual films (Godzilla Tower!). Nice variety of monsters and extensive choices of weaponry. Music was cool, recreating the movie military marches. I like how the military units didn't have health bars but numbers of vehicles (more realistic), and how you needed to restock with vehicles instead of 'resting'. Letting the monsters automatically destroy a resupplying unit they could reach was also a nice realistic touch. Best of all, you can play as either Godzilla or the JSDF, so there's the best of both worlds. I still play this sometimes on the long plane trips to and from Japan.

Godzilla: Archipelago Shock is also a favorite, although I miss any real strategic elements. Great music straight from the films, monsters, and weaponry. An immersive real-time tactical warfare game that gives you a sense of immediacy, at times chaotic and overwhelming just like real combat. The addition of using your own Mechakaiju was most welcome. I haven't played this in a lot of years since my Saturn burned out years ago, but after having got my Turbo-Duo G-game running on my PC, I see you can do the same thing for the Saturn...so I'll likely be firing it up this weekend.

Even though this wasn't brought up, I'll bring the Gamera-Gyaos SNES strategy/tactical game into the conversation. This had some great concepts-every level added to an ongoing narrative, you had a base with advisors and scientists, could use your resource points to either manufacture units in-game or sink into research for more powerful weapons, rescuing important characters that helped your effort down the road, and levels straight from not only Gamera 95 but some of the early Showa films. But all the good was undermined by the fact that you couldn't actually harm the monsters (just get their attention, lead them on a chase so traps could be deployed, and lead them into a trap), and that you could easily win the game with just one lowest-ranked tank unit per level.

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

Tatsunoshi wrote:The only Godzilla game I like better is the PC disk version "Godzilla", which is pretty much the same game but with a lot more options and way better graphics.
Which game is this that's like Godzilla 2 on PC? Have any links on information on this game?

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

AWMGodzilla62 wrote:Which game is this that's like Godzilla 2 on PC? Have any links on information on this game?
More specifically, it's PC9800...a very popular Japanese computer from the 90's with a huge library of games. It can be played on older regular PC's that have 'hard floppy' disk slots with a little work. I usually use my wife's PC9800 to play (still workin' after all these years).

This game has the best variety of scenarios of any Godzilla strategy game, including quite a few non-Godzilla tokusatsu films:

1) Mothra Vs Godzilla (64)
2) Great Monster War (Invasion of Astro-Monster)
3) Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla (74)
4) Godzilla 1984
5) Godzilla Vs Biollante (Lake Ashi Battle)
6) Godzilla Vs Biollante (Takahama Nuclear Plant Defense)
7) Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah
8) Godzilla Vs Mecha-King Ghidorah
9) Godzilla Vs Mothra (92)
10) Radon, Giant Monster of the Sky
11) Giant Monster Varan
12) Sanda Vs Gaira (War of the Gargantuans)(Initiation of Operation L)
13) Earth Defense Force (The Mysterians) (1: Defensive Battle Stage)
14) Earth Defense Force (The Mysterians) (2: Class Beta: Permission for Takeoff)

Our copy also has the bonus disc that came with the first editions, with a few more additions to the game.

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

Wow! So cool. I'll have to hunt for that game now. Do you play just the military, or can you play as Godzilla too?

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

AWMGodzilla62 wrote:Wow! So cool. I'll have to hunt for that game now. Do you play just the military, or can you play as Godzilla too?
Both.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

1. I wish the Rodan game was made instead of slowly being turned into Godzilla 2, I like it when someone who isn't the main character gets a spin off game and it's interesting having Rodan be the main in his own game with what I assume would have had Godzilla as the final boss cause hey Godzilla is final boss material in his own right..

2. I actually would be cool with another Godzilla game where you are the military. Summon help from Mothra, build Super-X's and Masers, make Mechagodzilla and Mecha-King Ghidorah, Moguera. Build the T.C. Mines, create the A.N.E.B.

Thanos6
Samurai

Post by Thanos6 »

This was the first strategy game I ever played, and was one...interesting way to be introduced to the genre. Yes, it's definitely a different game from its predecessor, but I enjoyed it.

It must be said, it's one of those games where you absolutely must read the manual.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Fond memories of this game. Loved the level with 2 Mothra Larvae & 1 Adult Mothra.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I would say both Godzilla NES games are perfect examples of games that had some neat ideas and there is a great game lurking underneath, but the less than stellar execution got in the way.

That is more prevalent in Godzilla 2. A Godzilla battle simulator game is a great idea and the way the game is structured, it almost feels like a precursor to StarCraft and games like it. When I describe the game to people that have never played it, they go "Wow, that sounds awesome". Too bad the AI is a joke, and the slot machine system to determine attacks is absolutely ridiculous. It kind of hurts the game...a lot. There are minor things too like, it would have been nice to have Ifukube Godzilla music included, or even just GOOD music, instead of that monotonous cheery tune that constantly plays throughout the level. But really, I could live with all of that if the game functioned well.

Godzilla Monster of Monsters is the better of the two games. Graphics are mostly good, the music (despite not relying on classic tunes from the movies) is actually really good, and the gameplay actually functions well. I even kind of like the chess board set up for the overworld, which adds a layer of strategy to everything. That said, the game really could have used a couple of tweaks. First of all, the (unseen) time limit on the boss levels/monster fights is ridiculous and makes no sense. 2nd, the game play gets extremely repetitive playing from level to level. It would have been cool if they Mario'd it up with some variety. Some city stages, some underwater stages, some snow stages or something like it to provide different challenges and the feeling of being in different environments. As is, I feel like you have 3 or 4 different stages that you play for the whole game and that's it.

Also, is it necessary for me to fight every monster more than once? Okay, I understand repeating all the bosses for the last level, but do I really need to fight Gezora and Moguera 8 freaking times? Couldn't we just get two new monsters every world and then fight them all at the last level with King Ghidorah? And this is a nitpick, but it would have been a nice touch to get some additional monster allies along the way. Starting with Godzilla and Mothra is fine, but if we could have recruited at least Rodan and Anguirus in later levels, that would have been awesome. Its just weird to me that Gezora, Moguera, Varan, and Baragon all made the cut, but poor Rodan and Anguirus are nowhere to be seen.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.