Super Godzilla (SNES)

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Super Godzilla (SNES)

Post by LegendZilla »

One thing hard not to notice is that this game has gotten a LOT of hate in recent years.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

LegendZilla wrote:One thing hard not to notice is that this game has gotten a LOT of hate in recent years.
Well its not the greatest game every, but it doesn't deserve ALL the hate. Once you learn how to play its actually a pretty fun game
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Beef Bigshot wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:One thing hard not to notice is that this game has gotten a LOT of hate in recent years.
Well its not the greatest game every, but it doesn't deserve ALL the hate. Once you learn how to play its actually a pretty fun game
The same applies to the old Ultraman game.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

How is that a shock? It's definitely a mediocre game.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Legion1979 wrote:
How is that a shock? It's definitely a mediocre game.
I remember how excited I was to see a Godzilla game for the SNES....and then I rented it....let's just say that I think the AVGN's review of this game was *far too kind*...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

Post by shippersdreamer »

I actually really like the game's soundtrack, I think it's a good SNES rendition of some Godzilla tracks.
"Look out, it's the most fearsome monster on the planet! Gezora..."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

shippersdreamer wrote:I actually really like the game's soundtrack, I think it's a good SNES rendition of some Godzilla tracks.
Has some really catchy original tunes, too. The Battra theme might be my favorite.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

GigaBowserG wrote:
shippersdreamer wrote:I actually really like the game's soundtrack, I think it's a good SNES rendition of some Godzilla tracks.
Has some really catchy original tunes, too. The Battra theme might be my favorite.
Aye that it does, if there's one thing Super Godzilla does right is it's music. Very well made.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

shippersdreamer wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
Aye that it does, if there's one thing Super Godzilla does right is it's music. Very well made.
Agreed, I really live the MG stage theme. They nailed the music
Resized Image

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Bagan and Ghidorah's themes for me.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Bagans theme is a masterpiece, hands down on that
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For those of you who find the game a disappointment, what would've you done to refine the game?

shippersdreamer
Interpol Agent

LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who find the game a disappointment, what would've you done to refine the game?
I'd probably change the combat to a more traditional fighting game like Godzilla: Battle Legends of Monster War. Other than that, not drain Godzilla's health after he smashes through something. That's about it though.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

It's funny how a fan made remake of this turned out better :P.

I'd rather play that then touch, this, ever again ...

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LegendZilla wrote:For those of you who find the game a disappointment, what would've you done to refine the game?
Didn't find it disappointing, but it has a difficult learning curve. I'd retain the "punch an enemy to open the attack window", but instead of pulling backwards after punching, have various techniques open to the player on the bottom to select manually. The higher your fighting spirit, the higher the chance of having powerful techniques available/the more powerful your attacks will be. But if you take too long to decide a move, the enemy can counterattack and cancel your move.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

First I'll say what I think the game did right:

1 - Music. Fantastic stuff. I think this AND Monster of Monsters from NES are both criminally underrated when it comes to their sound.

2 - Story. Sure, it is fairly generic stuff, but still somehow manages to feel light years ahead of both the Pipeworks trilogy and Bandai/Namco's Godzilla game.

3 - Super Godzilla himself. Cool idea to have Godzilla transform, and to show the typically over-powered Heisei G actually too weak to destroy an enemy on his own (Before SpaceGodzilla would explore this with MOGERA).

What would I change? In no particular order:

1 - Make the actual fighting play out like the Japanese Street Fighter clone Godzilla game. Graphically/animation wise, the game is a mess.

2 - Monster choices. I understand the Heisei series was what was current/hot in Japan at the time, but some Showa characters (Outside of MG74, added for the US release only) would've been nice. I had no idea why Ghidorah looked/sounded "wrong" or who Battra or Mecha-King Ghidorah were when the game was first released. Also would've been neat to have more playable monsters, like Mothra, Rodan, or Anguirus.

3 - Don't penalize the player for destroying mountains/buildings. I get that you're supposed to be saving humanity, but, c'mon. You're also Godzilla.

4 - Bagan. Get rid of him. Sorry, but I hate the blasted thing, I'm tired of hearing about him, and I blame this game for it. Yes, I'm a grumpy old man. :mrgreen:

5 - Those god DAMN annoying UFO's. I could see them in one level but they were totally overkill.

6 - Don't make Godzilla so slow in the water.

7 - Get rid of the time limits. They weren't really a problem, I just hate time limits in games. I like to take my time and enjoy things.

I suppose that's all I can think of, without totally changing the entire game and making it unrecognizable.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Ah, as mediocre as this game is, it has its charming moments, but there are quite some things i find nonsensical, such as Godzilla taking damage just from smashing things. And him moving slowly in water. He's an excellent swimmer! The combat system is quite tedious too. Mechagodzilla always kicked my butt, heh heh.

Red Hunter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Red Hunter »

Game gots dishonest sometimes. In truth, in th second battle, you're f*cked. Also, whats the point getting damaged everytime you destroy buildings?! Its like if Mike Tyson couldn't punch anybody without broking his arm!!!!!!!!!!!
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Don't read this. You did, see ya in hell

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Instead of taking no damage at all, would LESS damage make playing the game a less tedious experience? As for the combat system, maybe there can be a 5-10 second rule to pick a move for Godzilla to use.

Red Hunter
Monarch Researcher

Post by Red Hunter »

LegendZilla wrote:^Instead of taking no damage at all, would LESS damage make playing the game a less tedious experience?
And why it would be tedious if Godzilla would took no damage at buildings? We already have the damage taken by tanks and traps and the fact we can get lost in some maps to get "entertained"
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

Don't read this. You did, see ya in hell