So who owns the rights to the next Godzilla game?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

So who owns the rights to the next Godzilla game?

Post by StriderSubzero »

I saw somewhere on here that Atari Pipeworks lost the license a few years ago, but no discussion about future games. Has someone already picked up the license again? I am assuming this will lead to a game based on the Legendary film.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: So who owns the rights to the next Godzilla game?

Post by Goji »

Supposedly, another company has picked up the Godzilla rights for a video game (though nobody knows who it is, except maybe Simon Strange), so hopefully we'll hear something about it in the next couple of years.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Goji wrote:Supposedly, another company has picked up the Godzilla rights for a video game (though nobody knows who it is, except maybe Simon Strange), so hopefully we'll hear something about it in the next couple of years.
They BETTER make it an open-world game, like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I'm cool with another fighting game, frankly.

But then again, I'm a huge fan of fighters, and a diehard Godzilla fan, so I know I'm somewhat in the minority.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'd love to see a Godzilla open world game, but I'll be perfectly fine with another fighting game. ^_^

StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

Post by StriderSubzero »

I like fighting games a lot, too, but the Atari Pipeworks games aren't really "fighting" games in the traditional sense to me. I think something like War of the Monsters could be really awesome, but I'm not sure how well it would translate to Godzilla since the dynamics are different (regarding the size of the monsters and the speed they move, etc.)

There's been several different genres of games tried in the past, and most of them are not very good... so it would be nice to see something totally different. To be honest, my favorite Godzilla game is probably the first NES one. It has a nice blend of a few genres, and nothing gets that monotonous since all the stages and fights are brief. And for such an early example of a "fighting" mechanic, it was actually pretty advanced.

I think an open-world, "destroy the city" kind of thing could be okay, but likely wouldn't be that fun for long. It's been done before, but I never played those games (on Dreamcast, I think?).

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Pipeworks games are "arena fighters". They're fighting games, but are more akin to wrestling games than something like say, Street Fighter.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

A Godzilla Kaiju Daikessen fighting game could be interesting but another fighting game (if whatever company that has the rights does it) in the same vein as DAMM and STE
is fine.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Legion1979 wrote:I'm positive the next Godzilla game will be based somewhat on whatever LP gives.
Yeah, I wager it's likely to be a direct movie tie in rather than something based on the general franchise.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

Arbok wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:I'm positive the next Godzilla game will be based somewhat on whatever LP gives.
Yeah, I wager it's likely to be a direct movie tie in rather than something based on the general franchise.
As long as I'm playing as Godzilla I'm fine with whatever it is. 8-)

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Arbok wrote:
My best guess is that the Video Game rights were purchased along with the movie rights - giving someone an option to make a tie-in game. They may or may not make that game, depending on how film production goes.