Idea Thread: Toho Video Games 3.0

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Re: Future Arenas in Godzilla games

Post by Gojora »

Puerto Rico.
I mean who would love to battle in Puerto Rico?
I would.
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Gojora wrote:Puerto Rico.
I mean who would love to battle in Puerto Rico?
I would.
I know I would for I live there :)

I would love to smash up Condado and Old San Juan. They could have a bonus sea level added on as well because off the shore of San Juan there is a 2,000ft deep trench. Some say it could be the lost city of Atlantis or some advanced Aztec society.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

I always thought that'd it be neat to have customizing options in a Godzilla game, similar to how the WWE games have it. Custom arenas, kaiju and such with online support of these features would be awesome.

But in terms of default arenas, I could see a decent amount;
Canada:
Vancouver, British Columbia
Victoria, British Columbia
Calgary, Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta
Regina, Saskatchewan
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Churchhill, Manitoba
Toronto, Ontrario
Sudbury, Ontario
Montreal, Quebec
Quebec City, Quebec
Fredricton, New Brunswick
Saint John, New Brunswick
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Charolettetown, Prince Edward Island
Stratford, Prince Edward Island

United States of America:
Washington, D.C
Boston, Massachusetts
Springfield, Massachusetts
Albany, New York
New York City, New York
Houston, Texas
San Antonio, Texas
Atlanta, Georgia
Columbus, Georgia
Denver, Colorado
Puebelo, Colorado
Seattle, Washington
Olympia, Washington

Europe:
London, England
Liverpool, England
Paris, France
Lourdes, France
Glasgow, Scotland
Edinburgh, Scotland
Madrid, Spain
Catalonia, Spain
Of course, trying to type out a whole list might take a while, so that's an abriged version.
Obviously the environments would be destructable, and include landmarks and other important things.

Because who wouldn't be amused at the sight of Godzilla hitting another kaiju in the face with a giant nickel? :p
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Re: Do's and Don'ts: Godzilla Fighting Games

Post by MrGameguy »

Don'ts: Most of the stages are normal cities.
I kind of already said this in my other post. But I didn't go into any detail.
Now a few cities like Tokyo, Osaka, & San Francisco are okay, & maybe with a few different incarnations of them.
But certain locations like Boston & Seattle were out of place since they were never in a movie & they didn't have anything that stuck out.

I'm not against the idea of adding a new environment, but they a least have to have something that makes them unique.
Like the Boxing Ring, it was never in a film but people still loved since it was uniqune concept.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Living Corpse wrote:Here's a don't: Don't give us a paper thin plot that's nothing more than an excuse to fight.

Here's a do: Actually give us a real plot with weight to it so it feels like there something good or bad that will result from either monster winning or losing. Mortal Kombat 9 had a great story that actually felt like the fights and their results effected the world around them and not just random fights. So no excuses that a good story can't be done, not when beating Godzilla could result in his blood being used to make Biollante or Spacegodzilla or how destroying a factory can result in the smoke attracting Hedorah.

Beat Spacegodzilla before destroying his fortress? Crystal energy has attracted alien invaders who want harness their power.

Destroyed an oil rig while fighting at sea? Hedorah is attracted.

Going into Meltdown? Legendary Godzilla has come to restore balance.

Killed King Ghidorah instead of letting him flee? Mecha-King Ghidorah.

Let Rodan, Angurias, King Caesar and Mothra live? Now you have allies that make a later fight less hard.

Don't destroy Megaguirus' nest? Now the Muto nest is overwhelmed while you fight the parents.

Fail to destroy Garuda? Now you have to fight Super-Mechagodzilla.

Godzilla Unleashed had similar ideas and they were great. The game didn't fall because they were bad ideas, it feel because poor excuation. Great ideas need to be pulled off well, otherwise they come off as half assed.
I…am actually interested by this idea. Though it sounds like it would fit more with the new Godzilla PS3 game.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

You know what I'd like? A Godzilla game where the buildings collapsed in a believable manner. That'd be nice.
Anyways,
Do:
- Have a large roster of playable characters. Not unreasonably so, but enough to allow players to replay the game time and time again.
- Make certain monsters unlockable (not downloadable), but again, this helps give players a reason to keep playing.
- Make unlockable content (monsters or otherwise) interesting. Do not make players work incredibly hard for something minor.
- Make all monsters look good. They should look like detailed renders of their movie selves, and we have the means to make them look that way.
- Have a decent story. It doesn't have to be The Last of Us, but give more of a story than "Go ahead and fight or whatever there are aliens and crystals rawr".
- Have each monster or mecha feel unique, both in attitude and gameplay.
- Let players customize their characters. Even minor things like colour changes and costume swaps can be nice.
- Have exciting music. Don't just use the same theme for everything.
- Just an idea, but have the winning monsters theme play.
- As mentioned earlier, have a "fatality"(though not so gory) move that finishes the match.
- Give us interesting and detailed maps to fight on.
Don't:
- Make BASIC THINGS DLC (Oh, you want more than four monsters? PAY UP.)
- Simplify the gameplay to one move per button.
- Basically do the opposite of the "Do's".
- Have SpaceGodzilla as the final boss, again. Seriously, he's cool, but not that cool.

My suggestions for a monster roster:
- Godzilla (1990's) As much as I dislike his appearance, this is the basic Godzilla in most people's minds. A Godzilla (1984) skin could be nice.
- Godzilla (2002) Because, why not. Could be a good alternative to Godzilla (2000).
- A Showa Godzilla.
- Gojira (1954), only, this time, not a 1990's palette swap.
- Godzilla (2014).
- Mothra (Showa/Heisei or general Millennium) and Mothra (GMK)
- Anguirus (1960's) and 2004.
- Rodan (Heisei) and Showa
- King Seesar/Caesar/Shisa Whatever you want to call him.
- Baragon (2001) and (1960's)
- Gorosaurus
- Titanosaurus
- Battra
- Hedorah
- All three MechaGodzillas
- (Mecha) King Ghidorah (1991),(1960's), and (2001).
- Jet Jaguar.
- Megalon.
- Gigan (Showa and Millenium).
- Destroyah.
- Biollante.
- SpaceGodzilla.
- Orga.
- MUTOs (Male and Female).
- MINYA, because every game needs it's joke character.
- Super X. This would be interesting.
Did I miss anyone? I hope not.
Last edited by LazerWhale on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lazer's Art Thread:viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21430&view=viewpoll
My DeviantArt: http://lazerwhale.deviantart.com/
Just because someone likes something you don't, don't treat them poorly for it.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Added everything you guys mentioned into the post! Thank you!
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

tai Mosura, could you please replace my old post with my edited one? I've made the text a bit more visible.

Thank you for making this thread, by the way.
But,
Just because someone doesn't like something you do, don't treat them poorly for it, either.

Lest We Forget

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

LazerWhale wrote:tai Mosura, could you please replace my old post with my edited one? I've made the text a bit more visible.

You should fix up the post first. There are [/color]'s everywhere.

LazerWhale
JXSDF Technician

Post by LazerWhale »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
LazerWhale wrote:tai Mosura, could you please replace my old post with my edited one? I've made the text a bit more visible.

Thank you for notifying me. Hopefully it's satisfactory now.
But,

Lest We Forget

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

LazerWhale wrote:
Gojira tai Mosura wrote:

Thank you for notifying me. Hopefully it's satisfactory now.
Done! Thank you!

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Still watching this thread - and I have one request:

Let's please NOT do roster lists. Who is in the game or not is a totally different bag of fish, and it could easily overwhelm this discussion. Things like "No clone characters" is totally fine, but actually getting into which monsters / suits you want to see... well, there are already other lists for that.

Just my opinion - Gojira tai Mosura is in charge here, and if he wants roster lists, then please go for it.

MechaAnguirus
Young Farmer

Post by MechaAnguirus »

DO
-keep the monsters accurate to their movie appearances (ex. In Unleashed Megaguirus had a powerful energy attack that could only be used if you absorbed energy from your opponent just like in the movie)
-try to use music from the films. In Kaiju Daikessen mothra and godzilla's themes were edited to fit as a battle theme and it was perfect.
-Make each monster their own monster (no clones) why would Mothra and Battra have the same fighting style if their personalit is were different? Battery would be more offensiversatile and Mothra would be more defensive since Battery would be more aggressive. Just because they look alike doesn't mean they act alike.
-in MK9 the story followed a pattern of jumping from character to character between chapters. Why not do that for Godzilla too? With so many distinct monsters in the universe with different goals it would be perfect! Spend one chapter as Spacegodzilla making a crystal fortress on monster island and fighting mothra aND spend the next chapter as Anguirus defending the island from the monster you just played as.
-Finally give us a lot to choose from. Don't just have characters from the godzilla movies throw in characters form the Gamera an Ultraman universes make it diverse. And make the godzilla universe part of the roster thorough, I'm not saying throw Gabara or the Giant Condor in there but include monsters that deserve more attention. This is a game that should be made for godzilla fans by godzilla fans which means trow obscure monsters like Ebirah, hedorah, kamacuras, monsters only the fans would know about alongside the popular ones like rodan and mechagodzilla.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

MechaAnguirus wrote: -Finally give us a lot to choose from. Don't just have characters from the godzilla movies throw in characters form the Gamera an Ultraman universes make it diverse.
That would never happen. Given how much money Sunstone would have to pay to get all of the monsters in the first place, throwing Gamera and Ultraman in there would cost even more. Let's also take in the fact that some would be very out of place. I'd hate to do this, but I'm going to have to remove this part from your post when I put it in the original topic. It is nice to think of Godzilla vs. Gamera, but it would run the studio so much money on top of the money they already wasted just to bring us Godzilla.
Mr. Strange wrote:Still watching this thread - and I have one request:

Let's please NOT do roster lists. Who is in the game or not is a totally different bag of fish, and it could easily overwhelm this discussion. Things like "No clone characters" is totally fine, but actually getting into which monsters / suits you want to see... well, there are already other lists for that.

Just my opinion - Gojira tai Mosura is in charge here, and if he wants roster lists, then please go for it.
Great. Thank you for the feedback. I'll go ahead and close that part and leave the ones that are already suggested up there.
I'm going to go off topic here and talk about you for a second. Seriously, you and your companies' games are superb (yes, even Godzilla: Unleashed was fun... sometimes, despite it's issues). No Godzilla games have been able to match the fun of being the crap out of other kaiju, and your game helped amplify this with the monster throwing and Rage attacks. Keep it up for Kaiju Combat.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
MechaAnguirus wrote: I'm going to go off topic here and talk about you for a second. Seriously, you and your companies' games are superb (yes, even Godzilla: Unleashed was fun... sometimes, despite it's issues). No Godzilla games have been able to match the fun of being the crap out of other kaiju, and your game helped amplify this with the monster throwing and Rage attacks. Keep it up for Kaiju Combat.
Always nice to get a virtual high-five!

I'll say that I was only one piece of a larger team. G:DAMM started without me - I came in after a couple months of pre-production, and was just one of ~13 people working on that game. G:StE and G:U I was there start to finish, but those teams grew to ~25 and ~35 people, respectively. I was a pretty important part of those teams, yes, but I don't feel at all as if I can take more than 10-20% of the credit for whatever goodness came out of that series. That's just the nature of being on a team.

LegendZilla
Sazer

*IDEA* Godzilla game

Post by LegendZilla »

Dear boardmates,

As we all know, the new game Alien Isolation is receiving massive acclaim for its returning to the roots of the franchise and instilling the terror of the 1979 original in its gameplay as opposed to perseverating on 1986's Alien and onward.

I think this would be a great example for the Godzilla franchise to emulate. Instead of modeling itself on everything else in the series, it should stick with tone and the plot of the 1954 original.

The gameplay on the player being stuck in an environment being attacked by Godzilla. It could bring back the feeling of terror and helplessness that made the first movie so impactful. What do you guys think? Could it work?

Karmataurus
Monarch Researcher

Re: *IDEA* Godzilla game

Post by Karmataurus »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh....

IMO, which most people disagree with me on, the original is really over-hyped. It never gave me a sense of terror or helplessness, there was that one scene with the mother and this rest was forgettable, If you ask me the only way the game could work was if it was like EDF, fighting giant monsters as a human.

Or, why not combine them? Make it darker, you're initial goal isn't to kill the monster but to try to save as many civilians as possible, and along the way you have to make sacrifices. Then you get to fight the monster. Hell, why not play as Jet Jaguar?

TBH, a giant monster is something that would only be scary in real life. Don't get me wrong, the concept is terrifying. But in a video game, the only way something is going to scare you is by moving quickly at the screen or appearing out of nowhere. Neither things are possible with giant monsters. A darker approach to the G-Franchise would be great if done right, but I seriously doubt that it could in this day and age and if you ask me, something is a lot more fun when it's just that: Fun! Sunset Overdrive is coming out, and while I don't really care or want it, it's going to do well because it understands that.

These days, no one plays for some kind of moral lesson or political undertone or anything like that, they just want a good story, good music and most off to have a blast. And sunset overdrive kicks reality and darkness to the curb for a hyper colorful, ludicrous, almost over-powered style. Not too bad, really.

toho_guy01
Interpol Agent

Re: *IDEA* Godzilla game

Post by toho_guy01 »

I think this idea is GREAT! I always wanted to play as a helpless citizen who can do anything other than stand and gawk at the destruction that was caused by the massive beast that you can't do anything to. I think this game would be awesome.
That fella that still exists for whatever reason.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

I would love to be able to destroy Pittsburgh PA in a future Godzilla game. Nothing like being able to destroy the biggest city that's closest to your hometown.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

Tuba city, Arizona!
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.