Multple Godzilla Incarnations?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Multple Godzilla Incarnations?

Post by JVM »

Okay, a bit of an odder question here, but I'm a tad curious what you guys prefer...

A) A game including a single Godzilla incarnation.

B) A game including two Godzilla incarnations - the original 1954 Godzilla, and another one based on any of the films following it. (This on the basis of the original being a separate monster.)

C) A game including multiple specific Godzilla incarnations.

I'd like to make one rule here though:

- PLEASE no posts about "They should use a costume/skin function!"; it has been explained many times that Toho has refused to allow this.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Re: Multple Godzilla Incarnations?

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Probably C.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I would prefer C myself, but I get curious because I know there was backlash at GU for including three different incarnations - a lot of it is from G54 and G90's similar movesets, but at first, some people seem miffed at having three incarnations in general, because of how it was shaping the roster.

In addition, I remember prior to GU's release a lot of people advocated cutting out G2K, G90's or replacing both with one of the newer Millennium versions.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mincecraft
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mincecraft »

^ I found the 54 and 90's versions looked too cartoony.

I asked Simon this once. He said that C is possible (from what I got). They use a technique from Rampage, where they make a model (lets say G 2000) and apply a moveset. Then, they make a new model (ie. GMK) and then map the same moveset or make a new one.

Personally, I like this. I don't care about similar movesets as long as we have monsters that look good.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Option C.

Chris once mentioned something I'm sure we'd all agree on. Godzilla 2000 would be the standard character, whose the best character to start with due to his basic playstyle. Godzilla 1994 is the tank, who is a powerhouse and able to tank nearly everything. Godzilla 1975 is the speedster (of the Godzillas), who can use his fancy karate and fistfighting skills to pummel opponents.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Shōbijin
GPN Volunteer

Post by Shōbijin »

Godzilla on PC-Engine CD had such a function, Godzilla changed his look to fit his enemies.
Like Mosu-Goji against Mothra and Rodan or Gyakushu-Goji agains Anguirus or Bio-Gojia against Biollante.

Great idea! :mrgreen:

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^I really liked the PC Engine/Turbo Duo approach to Godzilla. But the problem with a Multiple player fighting game is....If you are Godzilla and fighting say... Megalon, Battra, and Orga at the same time---which Godzilla will you look like?

I was a little saddened that in G:U, that Godzilla 2000 (my least favorite incanrnation) was the only one that could be used in Story Mode. Also the problem becomes that Godzilla has so many looks over the years, some fan is bound to be hurt because 1967 Goji (argulably the ugliest Godzilla) isn't present. I'd rather have one Godzilla that was an amalgamation of everything (since skins apparantly aren't an option :roll: ), and not specific to any one appearance, you know like in the original NES Godzilla game 8-) .
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Oasis_S
GPN Volunteer

Post by Oasis_S »

I prefer option A.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

I choose C, more Godzillas means more fun.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

ゴジラさん
Samurai

Post by ゴジラさん »

I'd rather see an original Godzilla design that is somewhat of an amalgamation of the previous suits. That way, nobody's favorite design gets left out and we'd probably get an awesome new design to play around with. Programming multiple Godzillas takes time away from cooler stuff such as better building destruction and more diverse move sets.
Five Favorite Godzilla Films (not counting Gojira):
1. Mothra vs. Godzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla
5. Destroy All Monsters

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Tyler wrote:Have one from each era. '54, '93 and '02 would work for me. The original could come back as a boss Ghost Godzilla type. The Heisei version could power up and go meltdown. And then maybe the Millennium could be the main Godzilla in the story and develop the big scar on his chest as the game progresses. I don't know. Just spitballing there.
Good ideas man ;). I would rather see one Godzilla, and make him as good as possible. But, if more than one Godzilla is present, then I'll still be happy.

#BotM

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

I say two Godzillas is probably enough, but I don't think one needs to be G54. Not that I don't think G54 is anything short of one of the greatest monsters of all time, but that's just it. G54 is one of the greatest movie icons ever, and I think he's above monster wrasslin'. He never fought another monster in his own movie, he's too classy and legitimately frightening for that sort of thing, I think.

Pick a silly, heroic Godzilla and a more serious, "force of nature" Godzilla and we're good. Not only would they embody both ends of the character's personality spectrum, but also pretty different play styles. More than 2 seems like overkill, but 3 could be doable if they were VERY different. Give me DAM Godzilla and GMK Godzilla and I'm in heaven.
Haters gonna hate

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Of course c, but I only wat one incarnation for story mode if its like mortal kombat.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

I'm the ONLY one choosing Option B?!

:roll:

We already had that...

GDAMM and GSTE

:g2k:
&
:godzilla:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Option C. Though Im sick of seeing Godzilla 2000. New Millenium Godzilla please.

I'd also like if they kept Godzilla 90s and replaced Godzilla '54 with Godzilla 74/75 since he'd be perfect for a fighting game.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

Godzilla 2000 will never get old for me. I really do think that should be the definitive look. Definitely option C.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

Is GMK Godzilla in any game ever? I'd really like to see that Goji in a game?

And I guess that my pick would be C. I want to say B because its like, "hey, save some for the sequel" but then what if there IS no sequel?

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

I would have to say C.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.