Favorite Godzilla Video Game

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Dreddzilla
Samurai

Re: Favorite Godzilla Video Game

Post by Dreddzilla »

I voted DAMM.
I have not played STE yet, but I've played unleashed.
Unleashed would have been perfect if not for three things.

1. The Wii controler.
When I get a Fighting game, Especialy a Godzilla one I DON'T want to have to re-learn how to fight, I just want to smash buildings and kick Kaiju ass!
And it dosen't help that half the time the moves don't work. :sigh:

2. The City enviroments.
Didn't like the fact that the cities were already pretty much demolished.
It takes a lot of fun out of the game.

3. The City Selections.
With DAMM you not only got to choose when you could fight (day or night) but which parts of the cities you could fight in.
That's completly missing in Unleashed.
The MST3K Jaguar song.
HE JOCK IT MADE OF STEEL
EATS SUSHI FROM A PAIL
JET JAGUAR? JET JAGUAR!
HE MOTHER NEVER REALLY LOVE HIM
HE CRIMEFIGHTING COVERS UP A BASIC INSECURITY
HE DICKEY COVERS UP AN ADAMS APPLE THE SIZE OF A TOYOTA
HE BASICALLY GOOD-HEARTED BUT HE'D LIKE TO SMASH THAT KID AGAINST A ROCK
KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!
WHO'S THERE ?
HIS HEAD LOOKS LIKE JACK NICHOLSON
DON'T SMILE LIKE THAT, IT WILL STAY THAT WAY
YAHMMMAAHOAAHOAAAUGH!
DON'T TOUCH MY BAGS IF YOU PLEASE. MR. CUSTOMS MAN

SaferEmerald
Samurai

Post by SaferEmerald »

Super Godzilla for sure. I actually liked the combat system and was able to adjust to it well. I had it down to a science in just a couple playthroughs lol.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Dreddzilla wrote:Unleashed would have been perfect if not for three things.

1. The Wii controler.
When I get a Fighting game, Especialy a Godzilla one I DON'T want to have to re-learn how to fight, I just want to smash buildings and kick Kaiju ass!
And it dosen't help that half the time the moves don't work. :sigh:
Obviously this is coming a bit late, but here's a tip for folks who think the moves don't work half the time...

When performing an attack, you swing the remote and push a button. If you think of the swing as triggering the move - you will be Constantly Disappointed! It is the button, and not the swing, that triggers the attack.

Furthermore, when you hit the button the game just looks at which direction the remote is moving in. Small, clean directional information gets you much better results. If you whip the remote as if you were hitting something with it - you'll get very inconsistent results. I move the remote about 3 inches total when triggering moves. Start your movement, time your strike with the button press, and then stop.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

From the Atari line, Godzilla: Save the Earth, no doubt. We still play it today! Too bad it's a little late to start getting skilled with it, would've been a blast to try online now that we figured it all out. GDAMM was fun, too, bought an Xbox just for the Kiryu-exclusive version, though I hear the Japanese Gamecube one has Kiryu...
GU, while not my cup of tea, is a lot of fun to watch. The animations are very fluid, the textures actually look very nice, and the models are great. In 4-player melee, the sounds get all jumbled and glitchy for some reason. Still have yet to play the PS2 version, I really want to see Battra and Obsidius's stats and playstyles, even if they are clones. I love that kind of thing.

Outside of those 3, Super Godzilla is a childhood favorite. Takes some learning, but once you get by that it's still challenging, yet satisfyingly entertaining. Each run feels a little bit different from the last, even if you take the same route(s) every time.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

ShowaGodzillaKOTM
Yojimbo

Post by ShowaGodzillaKOTM »

Mincecraft wrote:
Oasis_S wrote:I probably have some words of mine to eat now, because I had been viewing Unleashed in a very positive light around here earlier. But I got a chance to play both Unleashed and DAMM recently, and I got bored of Unleashed very quickly. I give STE a lot of crap for feeling so slow, but Unleashed wasn't much better. There were things all three of them did right, but for me when it comes to the actual gameplay, DAMM is the best.

Though Unleashed could even have played exactly like STE and I probably would have said it was the best/my favorite anyway, lol.
Indeed, if STE had G:Us roster, it'd be perfect.
This man speaks the truth. That's the only thing GU has over STE, the roster.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

PS2 Unleashed is/was my favorite. Like STE, but with an actual story and I liked the monsters... even "Croc-zilla 2000"!

:g2k:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:PS2 Unleashed is/was my favorite. Like STE, but with an actual story and I liked the monsters... even "Croc-zilla 2000"!

What?! You must be joking, the PS2 version of Unleashed was... X_X
Wii version is by far superior, in it's own way.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Shadow wrote:
Red-Death Gigan wrote:PS2 Unleashed is/was my favorite. Like STE, but with an actual story and I liked the monsters... even "Croc-zilla 2000"!

To each his own... and I like Battra, clone or not.

:huge:
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:
Shadow wrote:

No. No, I forbid you to like that game. It is forbidden. No argument can withdraw this ban. You are forbidden.

ULTRAMANGOJI HAS SPOKEN! LIKING THE PS2 UNLEASHED IS VERBOTEN. FORBUDT. INTERDIT. KINDAN NO.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:

Then son, you're gonna have to die. :evil:

Bronyzilla04
Monarch Researcher

Post by Bronyzilla04 »

My favorites are Godzilla unleashed, Save the earth, and Godzilla: DBR. best Godzilla games i've played :g2k:

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:Unfortunately I haven't played STE or G:U

But of the ones I have it is obviously GDBR

I mean DAMM.
Then you must buy the other two or you will suffer the fate of doom.
SHADOW HAS SPOKEN! YOU CAN'T LIVE ON WITHOUT PLAYING THE OTHER TWO DERMAGERS. MY BUNS, THEY LIKE TO FAKKU!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Living Corpse wrote:GDBR is not an official game. I agree it's awesome, but it's fan made.
Ehh...the sprites are nice and all, but the lack of animation really hurts it, and the gameplay gets stale really quickly as a result.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
Shadow wrote:Then you must buy the other two or you will suffer the fate of doom.
SHADOW HAS SPOKEN! YOU CAN'T LIVE ON WITHOUT PLAYING THE OTHER TWO DERMAGERS. MY BUNS, THEY LIKE TO FAKKU!
Okay give me a year or ten. :angel:
You have fifty years, or I will come for you.
:g2k: "Roar!"

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

I'm surprised to see GDBR being mentioned here, especially as Living Corpse pointed out, its not an official game. Thank you guys for liking it that much :D
Goji wrote:Ehh...the sprites are nice and all, but the lack of animation really hurts it, and the gameplay gets stale really quickly as a result.
Care to go a little more in-depth about what is lacking in the animation? I'm assuming you more so mean movesets than the actual animation? I could see what you mean there, some of the older monster like Gorosaurus and Gabera are lacking longer punching and kicking animation combos, like say Godzilla 1962 (who was one of my new ones) does a two combo punch and then a headbutt. I plan on going back on some of my older ones and giving them more fancy combo punches and such. But, maybe I'm wrong on assuming what you're trying to say. That is why I'd like to hear a little more detail from you for improvement in the future.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ No, that's not really what I meant.
AWMGodzilla62 wrote:I'm surprised to see GDBR being mentioned here, especially as Living Corpse pointed out, its not an official game. Thank you guys for liking it that much :D
Goji wrote:Ehh...the sprites are nice and all, but the lack of animation really hurts it, and the gameplay gets stale really quickly as a result.
Care to go a little more in-depth about what is lacking in the animation? I'm assuming you more so mean movesets than the actual animation? I could see what you mean there, some of the older monster like Gorosaurus and Gabera are lacking longer punching and kicking animation combos, like say Godzilla 1962 (who was one of my new ones) does a two combo punch and then a headbutt. I plan on going back on some of my older ones and giving them more fancy combo punches and such. But, maybe I'm wrong on assuming what you're trying to say. That is why I'd like to hear a little more detail from you for improvement in the future.
Outside of specials (beams), basically all of the monsters attacks look exactly the same. Static punches and kicks that look the same from every monster is, IMO, a problem. Maybe I haven't played the recent build, and things have changed, but from what I've played/seen, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll give the game another go, and see if things have changed at all.

I realize that this is a fan-made game, and that this type of animation is very time consuming,a d if I had any expertise in this area I'd be glad to contribute. I guess I'd rather see a handful of well-developed monsters than a TON of monsters that play extremely similarly.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

Goji wrote: Outside of specials (beams), basically all of the monsters attacks look exactly the same. Static punches and kicks that look the same from every monster is, IMO, a problem. Maybe I haven't played the recent build, and things have changed, but from what I've played/seen, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll give the game another go, and see if things have changed at all.

I realize that this is a fan-made game, and that this type of animation is very time consuming,a d if I had any expertise in this area I'd be glad to contribute. I guess I'd rather see a handful of well-developed monsters than a TON of monsters that play extremely similarly.
It's slowly is getting better in that respect. Space Godzilla, Destoroyah, and Godzilla 62 are some better examples of how the combos for punches and kicks are getting better. Space Godzilla does 2 punches followed by an electrical attack from his crystals. He does one kick, followed by a slower but stronger kick that pushes opponets back a bit, followed by crystal attacks from the ground. Destoroyah does two punches followed by his laser horn. He does two kicks followed by a electrical tail grab. Godzilla 1962 does two punches plus a headbutt . He also does two kicks plus the kangaroo kick that pushes opponents back. Titanosaurus throws in headbutts, Orga and Anguirus bite, there's more variety getting thrown in slowly.

I understand how you're saying the animations looks similar with punches and kicks etc. But for me, a punch is punch, a claw swipe is a claw swipe. There's only so much you can do to make it different, especially in a 2D environment. I could make them a mili-seconds slower or fast, or make the punch aim a few pixels higher or lower between monsters, but how noticable would that be in the middle of combat? What makes the monsters unique from one another in the movies (besides their visual appearance) are their special abilities. So yes, I did focus on the special abilities more and tried making them all unique. But don't think I'm lazy with the punches and kicks either. As I've pointed out above, as I learn more, I'm making better combos for them, while still staying true to the easy to pick-up and play gamestyle that I wanted. Also, if a monster's physical fighting style is truly unique, I have gone the extra mile of giving them new animations. Try out Godzilla 73, his walking movements are completely unique to reflect his running trot he did in the Zone Fighter series. Plus his punches are more boxing style as he fought in the 70's.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

AWMGodzilla62 wrote: It's slowly is getting better in that respect.
Glad to hear it. I'll definitely give the current build another go.
I understand how you're saying the animations looks similar with punches and kicks etc. But for me, a punch is punch, a claw swipe is a claw swipe. There's only so much you can do to make it different, especially in a 2D environment. I could make them a mili-seconds slower or fast, or make the punch aim a few pixels higher or lower between monsters, but how noticable would that be in the middle of combat?
I'm assuming you've played Godzilla:Kaijuu Daikessen on the Super Famicom? It's a 2D game, and every normal attack ('fighting game terminology' for "punches" and "kicks" refers to them as normals, so I'll refer to them as that from now on) is different. They all look different.

Again, I know this is a fan made game, and you've done a lot of really great work already, so I'm not trying to rain on your parade..but if you want feedback from a diehard Godzilla fan who happens to adores 2D fighting games, then that's what I'm doing. :)
What makes the monsters unique from one another in the movies (besides their visual appearance) are their special abilities. So yes, I did focus on the special abilities more and tried making them all unique. But don't think I'm lazy with the punches and kicks either. As I've pointed out above, as I learn more, I'm making better combos for them, while still staying true to the easy to pick-up and play gamestyle that I wanted. Also, if a monster's physical fighting style is truly unique, I have gone the extra mile of giving them new animations. Try out Godzilla 73, his walking movements are completely unique to reflect his running trot he did in the Zone Fighter series. Plus his punches are more boxing style as he fought in the 70's.
I don't think "lazy" is the right word, since the volume of monsters you've made is so high, and you've admitted that you've focused on the special attacks (which is understandable). At this point, I feel like I can't even comment on the game, since it sounds like there has been some considerable progress since the last time I tried it out. I'll definitely check out the current build as soon as I can.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

I agree with everything Goji is saying.
ON TOPIC my favorite Godzilla game is Kaijuu Daikessen. I love the sprites, music, and gameplay.
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I loved Save the Earth for PS2! ^_^