TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GotengoXGodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

Postby GotengoXGodzilla » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Just found out that on June 15th, TCM will have an entire night of movies directed by Ishiro Honda. These movies will include Rodan, Mothra, The H-Man, and most importantly, the Japanese version of Godzilla. Not Godzilla, King Of The Monsters, like they always show. The movies start at 8 PM EST/5 PM PST. TCM will also be showing House after airing the films by Honda.

More information can be found here:
http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html? ... 2012-06-15

I'm very excited about this, because not only will they be showing the Japanese version of Godzilla, but it's just great to see TCM recognizing, not just the movies themselves, but the people who made these movies. I look forward to seeing how they have to say about Ishiro Honda, especially since the whole night is dedicated to him. I still wish TCM would show Mothra vs. Godzilla, since they've now shown just about every good early Godzilla film except that one. Oh well, it's still great to see these films on such a great channel like TCM at least.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

DagarahX
Yojimbo

Re: TCM's Night Dedicated to Ishiro Honda

Postby DagarahX » Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 am

Interesting, this will be a great opportunity for me to experience the other films done by Toho. I am interested in seeing Mothra, as for the H-Man, well I'm not sure as to what's it is about, but I'm still interested.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 am

I intend to tune in on this. I already own CM's GOJIRA disc, but I want to support this.

I'll also probably watch RODAN and THE H-MAN, since I haven't seen those in a while.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am

I'll definitely try to catch Mothra. I've only seen it once, back in '05-ish, and only payed attention to the monster scenes. Looking forward to giving the whole movie a try. I don't plan on watching the others, though. I have Gojira and Rodan on DVD and don't particularly care about The H-Man. I'm still glad they'll be on TV, though. That doesn't happen often enough anymore.

Blackout286
G-Grasper

Postby Blackout286 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:30 am

I'm gonna watch them all, especially the original Mothra movie, to be honest I have never really watched it before. (Tried buying it online but the film was always out of stock or too high of a price for that of a normal DVD). So I greatly look forward to this upcoming event. Time to mark my calender and have another monster movie night :)

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Wed May 02, 2012 12:59 pm

I'm glad I asked for that week off of work. I normally have to work on Tuesdays.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Julia Bristow
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Julia Bristow » Wed May 02, 2012 1:03 pm

I cannot wait to see this and its nice of TCM to acknowledge Ishiro Honda's work
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Wed May 02, 2012 1:04 pm

They should do a Jun Fukuda spotlight too.

JVM
E.S.P.Spy

Postby JVM » Wed May 02, 2012 1:36 pm

Choosing my words carefully, but an ISHIRO HONDA marathon is miles better than a Godzilla marathon - it shows a much better overall appreciation of the genre. It's easy to just package some Godzilla movies, but it's different to try to capitalize on the men who made Godzilla, and I applaud their effort in that respect.
I don't think I saw the same movies as the rest of you.
I'll always miss Vega.

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira-Fan » Wed May 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Not to be rude, but is TCM really acknowledging this as an "Ishiro Honda Marathon", because I don't see it on the link you posted.

It seems more like the wanted to play some Japanese science fiction movies, and the movies happened to be directed by Ishiro Honda because he has a prolific body of work in that genre.

I own all of these movies on DVD already. I might still watch them though, but I have to say I'm more interested in the showing of House.

Tamura
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tamura » Wed May 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Gojira-Fan wrote:Not to be rude, but is TCM really acknowledging this as an "Ishiro Honda Marathon", because I don't see it on the link you posted.

They are. He's billed as "HONDA INOSHIRO".
GojirO wrote:THIS IS OUR CHRISTMAS

Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper

Postby Gojira-Fan » Wed May 02, 2012 3:25 pm

Tamura wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:Not to be rude, but is TCM really acknowledging this as an "Ishiro Honda Marathon", because I don't see it on the link you posted.

They are. He's billed as "HONDA INOSHIRO".

Huh, thanks for pointing that out.

I'm surprised there using that spelling though. I thought it was considered outdated.

kpa
G-Grasper

Postby kpa » Wed May 02, 2012 4:28 pm

THE MANSTER and THE GREEN SLIME are also playing on TCM in June. I posted their complete Japanese sci-fi/horror lineup on SFJ a couple of days ago...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... m-in-june/

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Wed May 02, 2012 4:32 pm

The Green Slime, huh? I saw a trailer for that a few years ago. I'll probably try to watch it, for the theme song if nothing else.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm

Blackout286 wrote:I'm gonna watch them all, especially the original Mothra movie, to be honest I have never really watched it before. (Tried buying it online but the film was always out of stock or too high of a price for that of a normal DVD). So I greatly look forward to this upcoming event. Time to mark my calender and have another monster movie night :)

Not to move OT, but 10 bucks for three movies is a great price IMO, especially considering two of them are good.
http://www.target.com/p/Icons-of-Sci-Fi ... A-11685141

If you want to just see it, go over to crackle.com. and watch Mothra for free, legally.
http://www.crackle.com/c/Mothra
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Postby ゴジラ » Thu May 03, 2012 5:54 am

I'll catch Gojira, Mothra, and maybe Rodan. Still thinking about whether I want to see the Green Slime or not.

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Thu May 03, 2012 6:26 am

Just a forewarning, one can except RODAN to look horrible. The TV master used is over 30 years old, and looks horrendous.

THE H-MAN and MOTHRA will also most likely not be Sony's restored versions, and old TV masters instead. The TV master of THE H-MAN I know for a fact is very dark and murky, and looks pretty bad.

DagarahX
Yojimbo

Postby DagarahX » Thu May 03, 2012 10:09 am

I don't mind if the films shown aren't at their best quality, from my knowledge there are rarely any Giant Japanese Monster films shown on basic television anymore. Sure you could buy the films on DVDs, and Blu-rays, but until my next paycheck I think I'll settle with what's being offered to me.

bradzila
Young Farmer

Postby bradzila » Sun May 06, 2012 4:56 pm

i wish they would show all 28 godzilla films, how cool would that be.

GotengoXGodzilla
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby GotengoXGodzilla » Sun May 06, 2012 7:17 pm

bradzila wrote:i wish they would show all 28 godzilla films, how cool would that be.

...Uh..no.

For one, TCM would never do something like that. If this were old-school Sci-fi (not SyFy), and they had nothing better to do, then maybe. Mind you, that kind of marathon would take well over a day to do. Second, do you know how hard it would be to do something like that? So many different companies own the rights to different Godzilla films in America. It's just easier to show films owned by the same company. Third, even I wouldn't watch something like that. Showing all twenty-eight films in a marathon is really excessive nowadays.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Return to “General Toho Films”