I'm New To The Godzilla Franchise

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
DagarahX
Samurai

I'm New To The Godzilla Franchise

Post by DagarahX »

As the title tells, I'm new to the Godzilla franchise, and of course to its community. I was recently exposed to it through the films of Godzilla 2000, Godzilla Final Wars, and Rebirth of Mothra 1 and 2 from my fourth block period class today. And I'll admit, I had become interested within the source material or any other material baring a connection with it in one form or another. I wanted to learn more and I stumbled on a few websites that are Godzilla related, this being one of them. (Well, the most active one from what my knowledge and experience tells me. Although if there are other active sites then please do share with me.)

I do have a few questions, I know that Godzilla has had a long history, mainly due to watching the news one day for a current event assignment and seeing Godzilla get a walk of fame award? But for someone new like myself, what films should I get into first? Are there any DVDs or Blu-Rays Godzilla films out in stores that I can possibly buy? Also I've noticed that there are new Godzilla comics being produced, are they any good?

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: I'm New To The Godzilla Franchise

Post by Julia Bristow »

DVDs & Blu Rays of Godzilla to buy? Yeah there are plenty of Godzilla DVDs out there and some Godzilla blu rays as well. As for the comics well I'm no expert of Godzilla comics so I cannot tell you of their quality
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

DagarahX wrote:As the title tells, I'm new to the Godzilla franchise, and of course to its community. I was recently exposed to it through the films of Godzilla 2000, Godzilla Final Wars, and Rebirth of Mothra 1 and 2 from my fourth block period class today. And I'll admit, I had become interested within the source material or any other material baring a connection with it in one form or another. I wanted to learn more and I stumbled on a few websites that are Godzilla related, this being one of them. (Well, the most active one from what my knowledge and experience tells me. Although if there are other active sites then please do share with me.)

I do have a few questions, I know that Godzilla has had a long history, mainly due to watching the news one day for a current event assignment and seeing Godzilla get a walk of fame award? But for someone new like myself, what films should I get into first? Are there any DVDs or Blu-Rays Godzilla films out in stores that I can possibly buy? Also I've noticed that there are new Godzilla comics being produced, are they any good?
The Classic Media boxset has a well rounded set of films (covering the original, high points of the sixties films and one of the seventies films) and the commentaries provide a wealth of information. Godzilla films can be kind of hard to find retail wise, so if you ever see one snag it!

As for the comics, now is a good time to jump in because the rebooted monthly title starts in May. I'd steer clear of Kingdom of Monsters, but Godzilla: Legends and Gangsters & Goliath's are excellent.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Dude welcome to Tohokingdom!

Although I have to say that stores are very...Well, its drought in that department mostly.
As for films to get into, I will suggest taking at hit at the original Godzilla, which has been re-released on Blu-Ray through Criterion. Give that a shot first, as for other films, like TokyoVigilante stated, get the classic media boxet, its a get set to have when starting out a Godzilla film collection.l

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

I'll be sure to take that advice regarding the films, as for the comic themselves I'll see if my local comic book store can set me up tomorrow afternoon. Can someone answer this how many Godzilla films are there exactly?

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

I'm personally partial to the 1960's and 70's Godzilla movies, so here's my recommendations for starting off:

Mothra vs Godzilla (1963)
Ghidorah the Three headed Monster (1964)
Godzilla vs Monster Zero, also known as Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla (1974)
Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)

All of these, with the exception of the first MechaGodzilla, are available on Amazon.com on DVD for reasonable price

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Welcome Dagarah.

You'll be lucky to find Godzilla films in stores, but they can be found online for sale. Gojira or Godzilla, King of the Monsters is the best way to start. Mothra vs G, Ghidorah, G vs Monster Zero, and G vs the Sea Monster are good followups.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

DagarahX wrote:I'll be sure to take that advice regarding the films, as for the comic themselves I'll see if my local comic book store can set me up tomorrow afternoon. Can someone answer this how many Godzilla films are there exactly?
Check out the home site. You'll learn a LOT there. It's a great website.

http://tohokingdom.com/
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

DagarahX wrote:I'll be sure to take that advice regarding the films, as for the comic themselves I'll see if my local comic book store can set me up tomorrow afternoon. Can someone answer this how many Godzilla films are there exactly?
Welcome aboard!

There are 28 Japanese Godzilla movies, and one American movie that... took some creative liberties.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

Mothra fought Godzilla? Doesn't that seem kinda...One-sided? I mean, she's a giant moth and Godzilla is a...Well, a monster with destructive power beyond all comprehension. Granted, the Mothras from Rebirth of Mothra 1 and 2 were pretty powerful, and most likely were later films (If I can possibly say that)? So if that's the case, then is the Mothra that fought Godzilla in Mothra vs. Godzilla just as powerful as the Mothras in Rebirth of Mothra 1 and 2?

And thank you for the welcomes!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

You may be in a rather interesting position, because FINAL WARS and the Rebirth of Mothra films are actually considered some of Toho's worst monster films.
What was your opinion of them?

Personally, I recommend pretty much any of the films from the 60's, as well as the 1954 original. those were the golden years for Godzilla and his brethren.

As to Mothra vs. Godzilla, yes, it is rather one-sided --- but that's sort of the point.
This one is a must-see; it is quite possibly the finest giant monster movie of all.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Old school Mothra isn't as beam-happy as the Rebirth Mothra, but she can definitely hold her own against Godzilla. It IS an unfair fight, but this was back when Godzilla was still more or less a villainous monster, so it's fun to root for the underdog hero monster. Great flick, definitely in my top 3 Godzilla movies.

I'll echo the sentiment that the 60s and 70s movies are my favorites, and generally regarded as some of the best and most iconic. But out of the more recent run of movies, I SUPER recommend Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack--which is usually abbreviated to GMK, for obvious reasons. Also in my personal top 3 G-flicks.

Glad to meet another Final Wars fan. We're a rare breed 'round these parts. The haters are many and vocal, and they are wont to hate.

If you're looking for more Japanese giant monster action, but want to see some creatures that aren't directly Godzilla-related, Definitely give Frankenstein Conquers the World and War of the Gargantuas a look. More awesome 60s movies that have a great pulpy vibe, and two of my personal favorites of all-time.
Haters gonna hate

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

For the record, when you go hunting down DVD's - there are no American DVD releases of either of the two '80's films "The Return of Godzilla/Godzilla 1985" or "Godzilla vs. Biollante". There isn't currently a release of "Godzilla vs. Megalon" but a release is expected later this year.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

DagarahX wrote:and Godzilla is a...Well, a monster with destructive power beyond all comprehension.
That's a fairly recent development, actually. In the '60s and '70s, he was nowhere near as unstoppable as the modern incarnations. He was above-average in terms of power, but by no means the biggest gun around. He lost from time to time, and needed help to pull off several of his victories.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DagarahX wrote:Granted, the Mothras from Rebirth of Mothra 1 and 2 were pretty powerful, and most likely were later films (If I can possibly say that)? So if that's the case, then is the Mothra that fought Godzilla in Mothra vs. Godzilla just as powerful as the Mothras in Rebirth of Mothra 1 and 2?
The Mothra in the Rebirth of Mothra movies is very diffenerent from the rest. While all other Mothras seem to be female, this one, dubbed "Mothra Leo" is a male, and has a lot of different powers. The Mothra in Mothra vs Godzilla is the normal, female, weaker Mothra.

Mothra Leo: http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/mothra_leo.htm#i

Mothra (Mothra vs Godzilla): http://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/mothra_showa.htm#i

Welcome to Tohokingdom, and the Godzilla Franchise. :)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

Rody wrote:You may be in a rather interesting position, because FINAL WARS and the Rebirth of Mothra films are actually considered some of Toho's worst monster films.
What was your opinion of them?

Personally, I recommend pretty much any of the films from the 60's, as well as the 1954 original. those were the golden years for Godzilla and his brethren.

As to Mothra vs. Godzilla, yes, it is rather one-sided --- but that's sort of the point.
This one is a must-see; it is quite possibly the finest giant monster movie of all.
I found Godzilla Final Wars to actually be a great Godzilla film, I found the acting mostly acceptable, although for some interesting reason my class found Captain Gordon and the Xilien Kid as the most interesting characters throughout the whole film. And I have to agree as well they were pretty entertaining and well played.

I found Godzilla himself in that film surprisingly ferocious and seemingly merciless to a certain degree. He wasn't dark or cold, but he did look like a unstoppable force with an agenda. Granted that was the case. The battles were entertaining and pretty unique, at each encounter many classmates thought Godzilla was gonna have some trouble on his hands, but were mostly stunned whenever he finished off the battles within a few short minutes.

Although I remember seeing many of my classmates completely shocked when the "American Godzilla" lost to the "Japanese Godzilla" in mere seconds. Although my teacher did warn the class when pausing the scene when Godzilla arrived in Sydney. "The world hates pseudo copies and false imitators, and many will see first hand that Godzilla feels the same way." After the short encounter he took a few photos of his shocked class. I was confused because I vaguely remember there being a U.S Godzilla. I remember there being a Godzilla film released in the states, but I wasn't into the franchise at that time in my life, so I never learned more about it.

For the most part, I loved the film and the interesting aspects revolving around the whole alien invasion. But the only turn off for me and most of my class was the weird put off Matrix-like scenes during the mutant fighting scenes. Although that was during the first half of the films. Ozaki vs. The Xilien Kid was everyone's favorite non-monster combat fight. Another surprising thing I noticed that the some classmates felt slightly worried for Godzilla when he was fighting against Monster X after it transformed. I'll admit, even I was a bit worried.

But overall I enjoyed Godzilla Final Wars.

But the only time that the whole class was mostly worried, the ONLY time was when Godzilla fought that hulk-ish alien thing in Godzilla 2000 and it was trying to devour and become Godzilla. We were kinda worried because everything that Godzilla did wasn't getting him anywhere, and then out of nowhere, Godzilla goes charging into the alien's mouth?! It honestly left me with the WTF face, and my classmates had the same expressions. Well, the guys had it. The girls kept covering their eyes since the whole scene looked "disturbing and totally gross.".
Living Corpse wrote:Just a heads up, don't go into the very first film expecting light hearted fun.
Greatly noted there my friend, besides I'm interested in learning how the franchise begun.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^You're lucky. I wish my classes watched Godzilla movies.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

DagarahX wrote: Although I remember seeing many of my classmates completely shocked when the "American Godzilla" lost to the "Japanese Godzilla" in mere seconds. Although my teacher did warn the class when pausing the scene when Godzilla arrived in Sydney. "The world hates pseudo copies and false imitators, and many will see first hand that Godzilla feels the same way." After the short encounter he took a few photos of his shocked class. I was confused because I vaguely remember there being a U.S Godzilla. I remember there being a Godzilla film released in the states, but I wasn't into the franchise at that time in my life, so I never learned more about it.
Pretty much the entire fandom HATES the 1998 Tristar film, because it got everything about the character wrong. I would advise avoiding it until you're familiar with the franchise.
Personally, Godzilla pwning G.I.N.O. (Godzilla In Name Only, as we call him) is my favorite part of GFW.
Living Corpse wrote:Just a heads up, don't go into the very first film expecting light-hearted fun.
Greatly noted there my friend, besides I'm interested in learning how the franchise begun.
Godzilla was, originally, a metaphor for the atomic bomb. That alone should give you an idea of what to expect.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Welcome to the franchise and fanbase! I'm a newbie to the website, but a fan for a while.

When it comes to Godzilla, watch the movies yourself without any outside opinions. That way you have your own opinion and not one biased by others.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:^You're lucky. I wish my classes watched Godzilla movies.
Same.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Ha, that class sounds fun as hell. That kind of experience makes me glad my girlfriend suggested showing her niece and nephew some Godzilla movies. It's always fun to watch Godzilla movies with first-timers of any age, but kids especially seem to "get" Godzilla, and have no problem suspending disbelief for the sake of a fun story.
Haters gonna hate