I'm New To The Godzilla Franchise

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Re: I'm New To The Godzilla Franchise

Post by hammysammy59 »

Watching them in order is a cool idea, and I'd love to do it someday.

I gave my girlfriend a quick crash course with some Godzilla essentials:

Gojira
Mothra
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidrah, The Three-Headed Monster

I think that was a pretty good, abbreviated way to get acquainted with the series.
Haters gonna hate

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

While I would recommend King Kong vs. Godzilla as a starter, the far superior Japanese version is legally unobtainable here, so you're best off with Godzilla or Mothra vs. Godzilla instead. Oh, and welcome of course! :)

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

Space Hunter M wrote:While I would recommend King Kong vs. Godzilla as a starter, the far superior Japanese version is legally unobtainable here, so you're best off with Godzilla or Mothra vs. Godzilla instead. Oh, and welcome of course! :)
What the hell? King Kong actually fought Godzilla? Alright I'm seriously going to check out that film! But, what entry is that film? I don't want to head into it blindly if there's a previous film before King Kong vs. Godzilla that helps set it up. I'll be ordering the Godzilla Criterion Blu-Ray in a few minutes through Amazon, with prime shipping I'll be able to get it by Thrusday.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

One nice thing about the Godzilla franchise is the generally loose continuity, especially in the Showa series (1954 - 1975). You can watch pretty much any film without knowing what came before.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

:lol: And here I thought King Kong vs. Godzilla was the one film in the series everyone knew about. Apparantly not. Well, that's one I'd highly reccomend. It was my first G movie, and instantly made me a fan.

As Living Corpse said, it's the third movie in the series, after Gojira ( AKA Godzilla: King of the Monsters) and Godzilla Raids Again (AKA Gigantis: The Fire Monster.) It mostly stands on its own, though, so the other movies aren't really required viewing. I've only seen the American version, though; there might be some differences to the Japanese version. Not really sure.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Rody wrote:One nice thing about the Godzilla franchise is the generally loose continuity, especially in the Showa series (1954 - 1975). You can watch pretty much any film without knowing what came before.
Except for Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, and maybe Godzilla vs Biollante.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

JAGzilla wrote:I've only seen the American version, though; there might be some differences to the Japanese version. Not really sure.
Although it's been partially done before, I'm writing an in detail, scene-by-scene comparison of the two versions right now.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

The third entry? Must've been a huge hit since Kong is pretty much a iconic cash cow like Godzilla.

I've been reading up on a lot of the monster bios upon the website, and I have to admit that there's plenty of information that has to be absorbed. Never expected Frankenstein's Monster to be given a giant monster role through and as suggested here in this thread by hammysammy, I will give it a look see.

Now are there any Godzilla films that I should have an open mind about when eventually taking a shot at them? I know that every movie franchise has its up and down films (Superman and Tremors come to mind somewhat), so do Godzilla has its share? I don't want to just watch one of those films then decide that its bad, I want to give it a fair shot, but while knowing what I'm in for.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DagarahX wrote:The third entry? Must've been a huge hit since Kong is pretty much a iconic cash cow like Godzilla.

I've been reading up on a lot of the monster bios upon the website, and I have to admit that there's plenty of information that has to be absorbed. Never expected Frankenstein's Monster to be given a giant monster role through and as suggested here in this thread by hammysammy, I will give it a look see.

Now are there any Godzilla films that I should have an open mind about when eventually taking a shot at them? I know that every movie franchise has its up and down films (Superman and Tremors come to mind somewhat), so do Godzilla has its share? I don't want to just watch one of those films then decide that its bad, I want to give it a fair shot, but while knowing what I'm in for.
One film that comes to mind is Godzilla vs Hedorah. While it's a good film all in all, carrying strong anti-pollution messages and decent special effects, it can get weird at times. And I mean really, REALLY weird. I don't want to give anything away, but this film's weirdest scene is even titled "something you don't see everyday" in the scene selection! Despite the weirdness, however, it really is a good film once you know what to expect.

There's also Godzilla vs Megalon, which is, from a critical perspective, one of the worst in the series. However, that doesn't stop it from being a lot of fun to watch! Besides, if you can sit through Rebirth of Mothra 2, you can definitely sit though this one.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue May 01, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

Godzilla vs Hedorah was initially disliked when released, but in the last 10 years or so it's gotten more appreciation. Destroy All Monsters is a big favorite with many, but does seem to disappoint others because the plot focuses on the human characters a bit too much. G vs Megalon and G vs Gigan are probably two of the poorest entries, they have a lot of stock footage from earlier Toho monster/sci-fi flicks because they were made with low budgets.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

When you come across Godzilla's Revenge, don't be fooled by the title, but despite that misleading title and stock-footage, the film actually delivers in setting out what it was aiming to do. Well, to an understandable degree.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

General consensus usually awards the worst films as each of the Millennium series excluding Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack which is a huge fan favorite, although be forewarned that some of the message is lost in translation, so the initial viewing may be a bit confusing.

The Heisei series is generally said to be (with the sole exception of Godzilla vs. Biollante) good ideas with a strong continuity, but hampered by poor pacing and dubbing. Biollante, however, is almost universally praised among the fandom as the shining star of the Heisei era. Your mileage will vary here though - some newer fans really launch on to the Heisei films.

The Showa series as a whole is pretty much universally beloved by all fans big and small. There's a handful of moments that may not translate the best, but overall, solid films, and by far and above the most popular work of the series.
Last edited by JVM on Tue May 01, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

The Showa series' later films (1969 - 1974) are cheesy, kid-aimed, re-use footage and have low production values,
Cheesy? Hardly. Out of the entire Showa era, I can only think of three "cheesy" moments. Godzilla's dance in Invasion Of The Astro-Monster, Godzilla flying in Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and Godzilla's tail slide in Godzilla vs. Megalon. Outside of that, there's really nothing cheesy about the Showa era.

Kid-aimed? Does that explain why every film made after All Monsters Attack has at least some gore in it? Like the skeletons and visual deaths of people in Godzilla vs. Hedorah? Or Godzilla's constant bleeding and very visually getting beat up in vs. Gigan, vs. Megalon and vs. MechaGodzilla? Or how about Katsura's sacrifice in Terror Of MechaGodzilla?

Re-used footage? Only Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon do that, and even vs. Megalon does it sparingly.

Low production values? Eh, kind of. But as long as the story is plausible, handled well and told in a way that makes it feel like the film takes it's audience seriously, then production values could be as low as possible and you would still get a quality product.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I purposely ignored ToMG and noted as such. Besides that, fine, I'll amend the post.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

I'll keep those titles in mind when I arrive at their bridges, I believe that I'll watch the films in the order they were released in, although if a title catches my interest very much then I'll make a acception and watch it.

I'll start with the Showa series then work my way onwards, I'll give my view point upon each movie I watch as soon as possible. And then, when that's done I'll look at the other monster films like Frankenstein Conquers the World, Rodan, and I think Varan. But first thing's first, going to start with the original Godzilla movie.

Oh, one more question, I've noticed that the original Godzilla movie has two versions, the Japanese and the English versions. Which version should I start out with first? I've read that the U.S version made some changes and added a American character to help, I guess, tell a clearer story for the U.S viewers? But the original is the somewhat opposite but more straight-forward ?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Start with the Japanese version, no contest there. The American version is worth a watch as well, but it's best to start where it all began.

The American version basically cut out two-thirds/three-fourths of the Japanese version's human plotline, re-using select footage of it and the majority of the Godzilla footage with new scenes of aforementioned American character.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Oh, one more question, I've noticed that the original Godzilla movie has two versions, the Japanese and the English versions. Which version should I start out with first? I've read that the U.S version made some changes and added a American character to help, I guess, tell a clearer story for the U.S viewers? But the original is the somewhat opposite but more straight-forward ?
If you want to understand where Godzilla came from, start with the Japanese version. If you get the Classic Media DVD of Gojira, then you'll get both the Japanese version and the American version. The American version basically chops up the Japanese version, takes out roughly ten minutes of the original film, and then adds in 20 minutes of new footage, mostly revolving around their own new character, Steve Martin, played by Raymond Burr, whose job is to basically explain to the audience what is going on, as he is a casual observer over what is happening over the course of the film.

The American version takes out most of the themes of nuclear warfare and how bad post-WWII Japan really was, in exchange for a new character. While Godzilla, King Of The Monsters isn't bad, it is a step down from Godzilla. Start with the Japanese version.

DagarahX
Samurai

Post by DagarahX »

Alright then I'll start with the Japanese version, then I'll watch the English version to see the differences have been kindly informed to me. Thank you all very much for the warm welcomes and for the helpful information as well.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:If you get the Classic Media DVD of Gojira, then you'll get both the Japanese version and the American version.
Why would he get the Classic Media release when the far superior Criterion discs are out?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

tymon wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:If you get the Classic Media DVD of Gojira, then you'll get both the Japanese version and the American version.
Why would he get the Classic Media release when the far superior Criterion discs are out?
Eh, it's debatable as to wether or not the Criterion Collection's set is better then Classic Media.

Classic Media's release has everything that a Godzilla fan could ever ask for. A quality release of both versions, plenty of bonus features and commentaries, lots of new information, etc. The Criterion Collection's version isn't perfect. This review pretty encapsulates everything about their set:
http://www.tohokingdom.com/blu-ray/godz ... ion11.html

In the end, I'm honestly going to stick with my Classic Media DVDs.