Toho's bad decision making

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Re: Toho's bad decision making

Post by wrongnote85 »

Living Corpse wrote:Varan's air. Neither Baragon nor Anguirus can fly. Though admittedly I think Manda would have been a better choice for water.
titanosaurus anyone?

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Living Corpse wrote:Varan's air. Neither Baragon nor Anguirus can fly. Though admittedly I think Manda would have been a better choice for water.
I consider Varan a aquatic monster more then air.

His lair was in some underwater caves in a lake after all. Just one small scene with him gliding through the air.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Living Corpse wrote:But I'm saying of the original three he's the only one that can "fly". Neither Anguirus nor Baragon can do that.
True. Out of those three though I think Anguirus and Baragon are to much alike. If we are talking elements here..

Varan, Water
Baragon, Earth
Rodan, Air

but thats just me fantasizing :D
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Let's get the most obvious one out of the way.

Letting Roland Emmerich an Dean Devlin get away with all the shit they did on the 98 film.
Letting Godzilla appeal to children way to much in the late 60's.
Releasing a Godzilla film every year after Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, an after G-2000 without spending proper time on scripts an effects.
Letting Godzilla: Final War's have such a major budget compared to prior films.

Everything else is nip-picking an can pretty much be classified within one of these area's so ill stop here.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I wouldn't blame Toho for giving GFW a massive budget. I'd blame Toho for hiring Kitamura, someone who clearly demonstrated he has no idea what to do with that massive budget.

I think that's Toho's biggest mistake: Hiring Kitamura to direct Godzilla: Final Wars.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Hiring Kitamura direct Godzilla Final Wars
Half assing the 90's Godzilla films in terms of effects & acting & screenplay
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

Licensing Godzilla to Tri-Star.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Not doing GODZILLA Vs. GAMERA. Daiei was quite eager to do it, and the 50/50 sharing of the windfall profits sounded quite equatable. And top it off, with Gamera enjoying quite a successful revival, and the Godzilla also experiencing a bit of success during the Heisei series as well. The flick would've done boffo business. Hell, I think instead of Final Wars Toho should've got Shusuke Kaneko back in the director's chair, and done GVG instead.
Another Toho bleep and blunder was in the seventies when Marvel was publishing the GODZILLA:THE KING OF THE MONSTERS mag. Despite some of the hardcore G-Fans' criticisms, the book did quite well, and was enjoying a lot of love. However, according to the book's writer, Doug Moench, the studio kept jacking up the liscensing fee for the use of their mascot, and Marvel kept rying to tell them even with the good sales the book was enjoying. Toho was asking for too much. When the studio near what turned out to be the end of the book's run, wanted to jack up the fee yet again, Marvel said they'd can the book. Toho called their bluff, and raised the price yet again. Marvel cancelled the book. And it ended with issue twenty-four.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Let's get the most obvious one out of the way.

Letting Roland Emmerich an Dean Devlin get away with all the shit they did on the 98 film.
Letting Godzilla appeal to children way to much in the late 60's.
Releasing a Godzilla film every year after Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, an after G-2000 without spending proper time on scripts an effects.

Everything else is nip-picking an can pretty much be classified within one of these area's so ill stop here.
Definitely agree on G98.

The children thing probably helped Godzilla survive to some extent though since those types of films were falling out of favor. Son of Godzilla and All Monsters Attack are really only the two primary 60s Godzilla movies that were children-centered.

Generally I'm opposed to sequels each year too because a couple of years or so allows for more development and hopefully a better final product. On the plus side, Gamera 2 came out right after Gamera: GotU an in that year they produced a film of similar quality (better IMO) with improved effects, so it isn't impossible. But the operation of the company at Toho could be different, so I still tend to agree with you. More of an issue in the Heisei films was whoever oversaw the SPFX decisions. I don't know about all budgets, but from GvMG2 through GvD all of the budgets were about $10M, twice what Biollante's was which had infinitely better effects than those films. What happened? How do you double of the budget and have negative progress on something like that? It's bizarre. And it wasn't just the Heisei films. Gamera the Brave had great work on the miniatures and effects and probably had a budget similar or lower than the Millennium G movies.

On a similar note, Toho allowing a big budget didn't hurt the movie in the least. It was the fact that Ryuhei Kitamura was the director that was probably the single biggest issue. Shusuke Kaneko would've probably done so much better seeing as he hasn't produced a single bad daikaiju film IMO. Idk if he was unavailable at the time or those details, but it's just an example.
terrypierson wrote:Licensing Godzilla to Tri-Star.
The original script for "Godzilla vs Gryphon" as I'll call it was all under Tri-Star wasn't it? I mean I fault Emmerich and Devlin for it more than anything. OTOH the people at Tri-Star repeatedly offering the project to people who weren't fans of that very franchise is not a good start, true.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren