Favorite Gigan and Ghidorah Incarnations

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Re: Favorite Gigan and Ghidorah Incarnations

Postby Cimmerian Dragon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:24 pm

wrongnote85 wrote:
SmogMonster wrote:Off topic: Cimmerian Dragon has the king of all avatars. Everyone else needs to get of theirs NOW, it'sall over.

word, i've been meaning to say something about that for a long time.

Thanks. That Anguirus fella is one cool dude. :)
NUMQUAM OBLIVISCEMUR MICHAELIS CRICHTONIS

LYMPHOMANIAC
Cimmerian Dragon
E.S.P.Spy

Postby kaiju115 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 pm

I would definitely go with the Showa Gigan, and Showa Ghidorah.
Godzilla Rulers of Earth is AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy
kaiju115
G-Grasper

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, Mechagodzilla, King Ghidorah, Gigan, Anguirus, Destoroyah, Titanosaurus, King Caesar, Hedorah,

Postby NSZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

SmogMonster wrote:I’ve never understood what the big deal is about Grand King Ghidorah and never will. Things fat and stiff as hell, with huge clunky legs. It flight it looks… uncomfortable. It’s nice but not nearly as good as the sleeker, meaner,more well-proportioned ’91 incarnation.

Design don't hold up jack when there's no personality and character to speak of. I've seen GvsKG far more times than ROM3, and yet I can't tell you sh*t about Ghidorah's personality in that film, namely because it was non-existant.
TK's resident Burt Gummer.

NSZ
Dragon Slayer

Geiger Counter

Team: K-Science
Favourite Kaiju: Nerogiras

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 pm

I like Gigan FW better in terms of design and powers, but Showa better in terms of personality and combat skills.

As for Ghidorah, this is my personal list, as I view Keizer, Grand, and GMK as too different to be "King" Ghidorah:

1. King Ghidorah
2. Grand Ghidorah
3. Death Ghidorah
4. Mecha King Ghidorah
5. Keizer Ghidorah
6. Guardian (GMK) Ghidorah
7. Dorat Ghidorah (he gets last because he ruined King Ghidorah, and he is not different enough that I can identify them as different creatures)
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby SmogMonster » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Legion1979 wrote:
SmogMonster wrote:I’ve never understood what the big deal is about Grand King Ghidorah and never will. Things fat and stiff as hell, with huge clunky legs. It flight it looks… uncomfortable. It’s nice but not nearly as good as the sleeker, meaner,more well-proportioned ’91 incarnation.

My favorite Ghidorah is the original Tsuburaya masterpiece hands down. As for Gigan, well as far as I’m concerned Gigan doesn’t even exist outside of his Showa incarnation,

You're my hero.

High five!

NSZ wrote:

Design don't hold up jack when there's no personality and character to speak of. I've seen GvsKG far more times than ROM3, and yet I can't tell you sh*t about Ghidorah's personality in that film, namely because it was non-existant.

...Grand King Ghidorah has personality and character? I must be missing something here
SmogMonster
Yojimbo

Postby Destroyer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:05 pm

I didn't put Death Ghidorah in it because he's not an incarnation if King Ghidorah, but a relative I believe.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Owner of http://destroyers-editorialsandreviews.blogspot.com/
Destroyer
Ultron

Favourite Kaiju: Godzilla, Rodan, and Vakishim

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:18 pm

I just listed him because I see Grand, Keizer and GMK to be "relatives" like Death Ghidorah.
Legionmaster wrote:
Captain Aktion wrote:And Northern Appalachian "rednecks" are scarier than anything we have down here.

Like MonsterMaster! :P

Kaiju-King42
The Mighty Lambish

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Favourite Kaiju: Destoroyah

Postby Superrex » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Millenium Gigan and Showa Ghidorah.
Give Zilla a chance.

Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.

"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey
Superrex
That guy who never really posts much anymore

Team: Zilla
Favourite Kaiju: Zilla, GMK Goji

Postby Godzillaprime05 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but GMK Ghidorah and GFW Gigan. The millennium update for Gigan wàs impressive, I liked the color scheme and more robotic less space chicken feel. And I feel that heroic Ghidorah is a really unique spin on the character. If Godzilla is this primal dark juggernaut, then how better to use Ghidorah then as a knight in shining armor? Id like to see him return.
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

Godzillaprime05
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Tyler » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:56 pm

I sort of like these designs.

Uchusen Gigan

Unleashed Ghidorah

But movie wise I like Showa and Millennium Gigan equally and I like the Showa and GMK Ghidorahs (if the designs above didn't hint at anything).
Three more weeks 'til Halloween,
Halloween, Halloween.
Silver Shamrock

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD
Favourite Kaiju: Rodan

Postby Destroyer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Kaiser Ghidorah is kinda' cool. I love his beam powers and the whole "energy vampire" angle and a couple details (specifically the segmented neck armor), but overall it's the weakest look for the character.

The main thing I didn't like was the four legs, it was really unnecessary in my opinion. I thought his roar was pretty good, could have a little classic Ghidorah mixed in, like with what they did with GMK Ghidorah's roar.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Destroyer
Ultron

Postby King Kong » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 am

Showa for both.
King Kong
Samurai

Postby menschenjaeger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 am

HATED the four legs thing. Gotta say Showa for Ghidorah.

Gigan's a little trickier. I feel like I'm copping out by saying Showa there, too, but one thing and one thing only killed it for me - his build. I had a big problem with the monsters in GFW having a little too human a shape to them. To me, it's one step away from a luchador (admittedly, Showa monster brawls are maybe only two to three steps away, but you get my meaning, right?). Otherwise, I like the extreme badassitude of the GFW Gigan - he's all angles and sharp edges. Later Ultra-monsters had the same issue - I don't want my monsters looking like they talk about the importance of working all THREE heads of their deltoids and arguing the merits of whey vs. casein protein shakes. So, space chicken* ftw.

*can't we just say Dorako 2.0?
menschenjaeger
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Rody » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

For Gigan, I say 1972 version. The '73 suit was just bad, and while I like the 2004 design, I don't think it works as a 'definitive' design. It's just too radical.
Actually, I think "EX Gigan" would fit better in an Ultra film/show than in a G film (like a few other things in GFW).

Ghidorah - King Ghidorah, specifically - is a lot harder.

Showa Ghidorah probably holds up the best still, but there are multiple small details about this suit (measly-looking manes, stubby feet, lack of great size, etc.) that I think really need improvement. Unfortunately, they're really subtle details, and Toho seems to have difficulty with them....

Heisei Ghidorah succeeds at looking a little more fearsome, but that's about it. At first glance, his size appears to have improved, but at second glance you notice that this Ghidorah is very lanky - there's not much mass to him. I don't like his flexi-horns either.

Grand King Ghidorah seems to have the opposite issues. Although he is definitely the most fearsome-looking Ghidorah of all, he is now lacking in another aspect - he barely has any horns. Ghidorah needs a mane, be it of horns or hair, and GKG only has the main "crown" horns. Another issue is that GKG looks too massive, and his wings appear a little too small.

GMK Ghidorah, I admit, is growing on me; It's actually a pretty good suit. The body mass is almost perfect, and the varan-esque horns work surprisingly well. My favorite aspect is that this Ghidorah has TALONS, not those pitiful stubby toes he's always suffered from. All the issues with this suit (short necks, small wings, facial design, etc.) are due more to the role he filled, not the suit itself. Nevertheless, these issues mean that this design can't work as the "Definitive" King Ghidorah.
Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Breakdown » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Gigan? Final Wars. Ghidorah? A very close tie between Grand Ghidorah and Heisei Ghidorah.
Vatarian wrote:When the movie comes out on DVD,I'm going to frame a screenshot of his death-grimace and mount it on my wall next to the vial of tears I collected from a thousand angry Broni Friendzonis ranting about how Prime's an amoral psychopath and Bay violated their childhood like some sort of ancient Babylonian sex-demon.

Twinkle twinkle little star; how I wonder what you are...

Breakdown
Enhanced Slasher

Geiger Counter

Mirror Counter

Team: Stunticons
Favourite Kaiju: Baragon, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Godzilla, King Seesar

Postby TokyoVigilante » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:03 pm

I forgot about the Uchusen Gigan. I'm quite fond of that as well.

Rody wrote:GMK Ghidorah, I admit, is growing on me; It's actually a pretty good suit. The body mass is almost perfect, and the varan-esque horns work surprisingly well. My favorite aspect is that this Ghidorah has TALONS, not those pitiful stubby toes he's always suffered from. All the issues with this suit (short necks, small wings, facial design, etc.) are due more to the role he filled, not the suit itself. Nevertheless, these issues mean that this design can't work as the "Definitive" King Ghidorah.

Basically. Check out this;

It does a wonderful job of giving the GMK Ghidorah more appropriate proportions. If it had a bit more of a fearsome face, it'd be an excellent incarnation (speaking strictly from design, of course) of the character.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury
TokyoVigilante
EDF Soldier

Postby Tyler » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:12 pm

This one's a little more movie accurate but I'm gonna spam it anyway.

I like the talons too. It looks like he can really snatch up something from the air.
Halloween, Halloween.
Silver Shamrock

Tyler
Anung Un Rama

Geiger Counter

Team: BPRD

Postby tymon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Looks:
Gigan - 72
Ghidorah - 91

Personality:
Gigan - 04
Ghidorah - 65
Birdman wrote:How do I bump this thread?
tymon
EDF Soldier

Postby Destroyer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Gigan's my favorite monster, but I've never heard of 'Uchusen.'

Destroyer
Ultron

Postby TitanoGoji16 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:39 pm

tymon wrote:Personality:
Gigan - 04

...Final Wars Gigan had a personality?
"Contact Star Hunter Universe M. Tell them we need Gigan's help immediately."

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller

Geiger Counter

Postby Destroyer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm

^Well, he had a very serious demeanor when compared to his Showa counterpart. He seemed to be more of a silent killer, but had a thing against Mothra.

Maybe I'm looking too deep into this, but he definitely had a personality.

Destroyer
Ultron

Next

Return to General Toho Films