Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

Postby Terasawa » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 pm

Great Hierophant wrote:I specifically remember watching "Godzilla Raids Again" on the Disney Channel circa 1996. I never saw the Gigantis title card until over a decade later.

If the movie played at all as "Gigantis" in the '90s it was probably only because whatever station had picked up the movie for syndication had done so before the title was changed to "Godzilla Raids Again."

Gigantis was the unseen Godzilla movie for something like twenty years. Basically, Paul Schreibman (the credited producer) sold theatrical and TV rights for Gigantis and Teenagers from Outer Space to Bill Foreman of Pacific Theaters; Foreman sold the theatrical rights to Warner Bros., which ended up releasing the film in 1959. From Japan's Favorite Mon-Star:

...Harry B. Swerdlow, Foreman's attorney... became "designated owner" of the rights to both movies because Foreman did not want his own name to appear on the copyright notices... After Gigantis and Teenagers ran their course in the U.S. and other countries, Gigantis was syndicated to television in the early to mid-1960s. After the films reverted back to Foreman and Swerdlow, however, no attempt was made to continue selling the TV rights... In the mid-1980s, after Gigantis had seemingly disappeared for two decades, the rights reverted to Toho and the film was subsequently released to U.S. television and home video...

Somehow in all of this, Alan Enterprises (which had acquired Ghidrah, Sea Monster, and Son of from Continental/Walter Reade some time earlier) got the film. It was this package of four Godzillas that debuted on premium cable in circa 1984 on The Movie Channel (it was still "Gigantis" at this point) and later on basic cable through the next decade (although Gigantis was not seen as often in the '90s). In 1986, Alan Enterprises was purchased by Color Systems Technology, Inc., which licensed the four films to Video Treasures circa 1987. Also in 1987, Gigantis was renewed by Toho (according to the VHS sleeve); I think this may have been when the title was changed to "Godzilla Raids Again," although Video Treasures still released the film as "Gigantis" in 1989.

Anyway, I have two late '80s recordings of the film, both from syndication. One has the theatrical title while the other has the video-generated GRA title edited in. The dates don't help determine when "Godzilla Raids Again" or when "Gigantis" last appeared, but as I said above, I think there was likely some overlap, probably because of the way syndication worked then. But it should have appeared much more frequently as "Godzilla Raids Again" in the '90s.

/dissertation
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 pm

Great Hierophant wrote: I specifically remember watching "Godzilla Raids Again" on the Disney Channel circa 1996. I never saw the Gigantis title card until over a decade later.
I remember catching the start of one of the Disney airings around the time I got the tape and wondering “why do they have the correct title on here??”, and that was probably ‘90/‘91.

The GRA title card has to be the cheapest looking of the entire series (though the Heisei Godzilla vs. Mothra’s export titles are a close second). It’s obvious that it was a cheap and quick replacement, but with that said, it was not uncommon for some films (especially genre and horror films) to have crappy video generated title cards when they were renamed later on for TV and home video. GRA’s just happened to be especially bad.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

Gojira 72
Ronin

Postby Gojira 72 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 am

Goji wrote:The lone (official) release of Raids Again releases on VHS by Video Treasures in 1989 (which also included the original Gigantis title card) and the Classic Media DVD are the only releases of Gigantis on home video. There are a few questionable VHS releases that are quite rare, but I’m pretty sure they are unauthorized.

Did the title card had the original font known from poster and trailer ?

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Gojira 72 wrote:
Goji wrote:The lone (official) release of Raids Again releases on VHS by Video Treasures in 1989 (which also included the original Gigantis title card) and the Classic Media DVD are the only releases of Gigantis on home video. There are a few questionable VHS releases that are quite rare, but I’m pretty sure they are unauthorized.

Nope.

"Gigantis" main title, poster, and trailer. "Godzilla Raids Again" video title and Toho poster.
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Great Hierophant
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Great Hierophant » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 pm

Gojira 72 wrote:

Yes :

Return to “General Toho Films”