Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Goji wrote:No problem boss. Here ya go.

Thank you sir I've been looking all over google images for that! :D
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There's also the very rare INVASION OF THE ASTROS title card.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Special thanks to you as well CTHimes. I just looked it up in the guide. So, if the one Goji took is from the UK VHS release of the international version. than, Invasion of the Astros if I'm right is the same edited version as the UPA 1970's version. Was this one ever released to home video, TV or screened somewhere. I mean that almost looks like some kind of mm film material if I'm not mistaking.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

-"INVASION OF THE ASTROS" version (edited the same as the 1970 US theatrical version) released to U.S. Army bases starting around 1969.
But besides that, it was also available to rent (16mm) during the '70s. The screenshot was found online by Tamura and it comes from a collector's print.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

gojizilla97
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojizilla97 »

I hear the japanese versions have more gore, cussing and noodity.
Bond. James Bond.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

gojizilla97 wrote:I hear the japanese versions have more gore, cussing and noodity.
You see Mr. Tako's wang in the Japanese cut of KKVG.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Man... "that" version of KK vs G gets more creative every time I see posts about it :lol:
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

gojizilla97 wrote:I hear the japanese versions have more gore, cussing and noodity.
Actually I think it's fair to say some of the Hong Kong dubs have more strong language than the original versions.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Thanks for this guide CTHimes, really helpful!
Yooo 8-)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

JGAR4Entertainment wrote:Thanks for this guide CTHimes, really helpful!
You're welcome, and I'm glad you found it useful. But Tamura and Goji have really done more of it than I have! They deserve most of the thanks, IMO.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Comprehensive Guide to the Toho English Versions

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote:Additionally, back in 1986 some stations were airing "Terror of Mechagodzilla" in it's theatrical edit, but coupled with the prologue and main titles created for it's television airings.
I wonder if this was (in part) done to give this version of the film a "Terror of Mechagodzilla" title card. The shortened Bob Conn cut was released by Paramount in 1989 without an onscreen title, just a freeze frame in place of the "The Terror of Godzilla" title. As far as I know, it wasn't until the mid-90s that a new video-generated "Terror of Mechagodzilla" title was ever attached to this version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Moonewe73
Ronin

Post by Moonewe73 »

I don't think I've ever seen a still for the "The Terror Of Godzilla" title card.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Moonewe73 wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a still for the "The Terror Of Godzilla" title card.
Now you have:

This is from an eBay auction. Tamura (I think) saved the picture.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ Yup, I asked a guy selling a TERROR OF GODZILLA print if he could show me the title card, so he sent me that pic.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Every DVD needs a head sticking out, just to give it a theater experience.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Moonewe73
Ronin

Post by Moonewe73 »

[quote="CTHimes"][quote="Moonewe73"]I don't think I've ever seen a still for the "The Terror Of Godzilla" title card.[/quote]

Now you have:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/wziKB.jpg[/img]

This is from an eBay auction. Tamura (I think) saved the picture.[/quote]

Thanks! Neat stuff!

thatsoundman
Monarch Researcher

Post by thatsoundman »

This list is really good. I have heard Galbraith's commentary on many of these and personnally been collecting both english and japanese copies for years and if no one minds would like to add my two cents worth.
RETURN OF GODZILLA

-International version dubbed in Hong Kong. Features the infamous "scream" when Godzilla falls into the volcano that is absent from Japanese home video versions. Features a shot of Godzilla in Tokyo that lacks any sound. One of the only Godzilla English dubs to have never been released in the United States. Released on VHS in England in the 80's and 90's. Was also released on VHS in Finland.

-U.S. theatrical version released in 1985, entitled GODZILLA 1985. Produced and released by New World Pictures. This version is substantially edited, and runs 16 minutes shorter than the Japanese and international versions. Includes some newly filmed scenes with American actors (including Raymond Burr reprising his Steve Martin role), and not so subliminal advertising for Dr. Pepper. The animated short, BAMBI MEETS GODZILLA, preceded the original theatrical prints.

-New World Home Video version of the US version. The opening does not feature the Godzilla roar during the New World logo that is heard in the theatrical version and TV airings. Subtitles during scenes with Russians are video generated and the frame is zoomed in to crop out the original optical subtitles seen in the theatrical prints. One or two shots of Godzilla looming over the hobo at the end are tinted orange.

-Monsters HD letterbox airing of the US version, most likely sourced from an early workprint. Features a number of differences in comparison to other versions.This version includes a different bird cry (not the loon heard in the the original version) right before Godzilla arrives at the power plant. Other changes include a slight difference in the timing of the music after Godzilla destroys the Super X, a missing fade before the last shot, and a fade that begins too early at the end of the last shot. All Russians are un-subtitled. New World Pictures logo is missing Godzilla's roar.
This all correct according to my copies of the film, however, there are reasons that i prefer the Japanese version of the film. Please don't misunderstand me I have always liked Raymond Burr as a very talented actor and will add a few notations on that later.
a) The opening sequence in the Japanese version explains that Godzilla was awakened by a volcano erruption and it was some time later that the incident with the Yahata-Maru takes place.
b) The person that finds the Yahata-Maru is the reporter that wants to break the story.
c) As the repoter starts down the stairs to the belly of the ship he reaches down and picks up a flashlight.
d) The romance angle is dropped in the english dubb along with when brother and sister are reunited their meeting is photographed as an exclusive for the newspaper which angers the girl and she lets the reporter know about it.
There are many others to list but i will let it go for now. with only one other that should have been kept in the dubbed version. the ending song, "Goodbye, Godzilla my friend" is actually song on the Japanese version in both Japanese and english

The english version tried to introduce humor to the movie with one charactor having lines like, "Tides changing temporature like hollywood romances" and my favorite, "That's quite an urban renewal program they have over there."

In Godzilla 2000 - The opening sequence in japanese is considerably longer adding to the suspense of what is about to occur. my favorite seen is the one where the reporter goes looking for the Godzilla protection Network and as she is being given instructions the guy swings a stick he is working with hitting his employee on the head, slapstick i know but it is funny. the english version does nots show that the network is above a sake production company. which explains later in the film why the guys breath smells bad he had been drinking sake. there are many others but i have used too much of your time as it is.

One other comment rebirth Mothra III is on rotation on the Encore channel and shows up every six months or so. This is the english dubbed version not sure of the history behind this particular copy.

I hope i have not bored you with so many of the details.

MustafaDaisenso
Monarch Researcher

Post by MustafaDaisenso »

I recall seeing the Walter-Reade VHS of Godzilla vs the Sea Monster back in the day (the one that featured Ebirah's "attack" at the beginning), and I clearly remember some sort of rock music playing while Godzilla and Ebirah first fought, although I don't remember any during the plane sequence. If anybody has information about the music being used for those scenes, that'd be cool.

Also, I'm interested in some of the discrepancies between the original US versions of these films and the reconstructions that have surfaced in recent releases, like in Classic Media's dvds.
"I'm a freelance reporter, but... you could call me a scandal hunter hahahaha…"
Check out my YouTube channel for restored Toku trailers in HD
Rodan 1.85:1 US Reconstruction Thread

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Mustafa, the jingle that plays during the jet's attack on Godzilla was indeed excised in VS. THE SEA MONSTER (specifically that version). It's been a long time since I've watched it, but I can't recall what music (if any) plays during that scene in the Walter-Reade version.

As far as the patchworks of Media Blasters and Classic Media on things like FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD and GHIDRAH THE THREE HEADED MONSTERS; the former was a disastrous effort, and the later was much better, minus a few minor hiccups, and the missing Continental logo at the beginning (which was simply replaced with the Tohoscope logo, which didn't appear in the Continental release). Originally, the tune that plays over the Toho logo in the Japanese version played over the Continental logo, but since Toho had no source for that version (other than some pan and scan video master, IIRC), and CM didn't have the time/$ to look for useable materials, they settled for just slapping the Toho logo on the U.S. version so that they could have something accompany the soundtrack/dub.

Tamura can give you a full run down on what went wrong with FCTW, but MB didn't actually release the U.S. version, they simply added the dub track to the Japanese video, made some not-so-good looking location titles in English, and called it a day. Where were the scenes exclusive to the U.S. version? It would be like if CM had released GODZILLA VS. THE THING without the Frontier missile sequence. All that MB's release included in regards to the AIP version were the English credits, the English dub (which is missing several lines, and isn't even complete), and re-made location titles. It is an extremely poor representation of that version, and these days, the only way to really see it is to get a recording of one of the TV airings (which obviously aren't very high quality most of the time).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Zubat
Samurai

Post by Zubat »

Were there edits made, in the Spanish versions?
Resident Sadamasa Arikawa Fan.

快傑ズバット