Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tamura
EDF Instructor

Re: Comprehensive Guide to the Toho English Versions

Post by Tamura »

It's hard to tell whether some of these have been released or not, on tape/in theaters/on TV, so unless I know something hasn't been released (like G2K's original dub), I am going to assume it exists somewhere.

Added a few more mentions (UK tapes of HEDORAH, TOMG and ROG, a Finnish ROG tape, a Thai tape of YAMATO TAKERU and a Dutch BYE-BYE JUPITER tape, all international versions).

Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

Post by Ethan »

Very cool! Have you considered doing scene-by-scene comparisons in a future, to replace IMDB's rather vague information? If so they could be linked to this thread.

From what I've remember the International Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah there are 2 scenes where the music is different. First when Godzilla destroys the submarine (uses the classic "Horror of Godzilla" instead of the suspenseful music heard in the Japanese version), and the during his coming ashore (which is edited differently). Perhaps there are more differences, but those are the only I can tell as of now.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Thanks for your input, Ethan. That helps.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Ethan wrote:Very cool! Have you considered doing scene-by-scene comparisons in a future, to replace IMDB's rather vague information? If so they could be linked to this thread.
I'm toying with the idea of creating a .pdf book of this guide, only far more fleshed out, serving the purpose of showcasing, in a very detailed fashion, the differences found in all known English versions of these films and said versions' various incarnations, to document their production with interviews with surviving dubbers, writers, actors, etc., to document their release history, and at the same time including stuff like complete dubbing cast lists (something really cool I've yet to see), English language posters and other ads, etc. But that would be more for diehards, and the guide in this thread is something meant to be more digestible for everyone.

I will also make note of the musical differences in GvsKG's international version. Thanks!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ That sounds like a grand idea. I still want to identify all of the most infamous CCL (Hong Kong) dubbers up to the 80's. I know a few names, but I still don't know who is who for some of the voices. I only know of Ted Thomas, Rik Thomas, and one or two other guys, but other than Ted, I don't know which characters any of these people actually dubbed!

Who is the guy that dubs Shimizu in MECHAGODZILLA '74, Hayashida in RETURN OF GODZILLA, and the main character in BYE BYE JUPITER? Is that Rik Thomas? He's heard in a ton of Kung fu flicks from the 70's as well.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

From what little I've been able to gather, Rik owned and operated his own dubbing company, which means that any dub he's in probably isn't a CCL, which Ted owned (and still owns).

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

So maybe he worked for CCL in the 70's, and then started Omni in the 80's? Unless Omni wasn't the company that dubbed RETURN and BIOLLANTE, yet several of the most infamous CCL dubbers can be heard in those films. The plot thickens..

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Goji wrote:So maybe he worked for CCL in the 70's, and then started Omni in the 80's?
That's possible. One of my sources states that he had his own company since at least 1987.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I see, so that could possibly be why we didn't hear him in BIOLLANTE.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Goji has confirmed that WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS' international dub has CCL voices in it, including but not limited to the Kirishima and Shirigami voice actors from BIOLLANTE plus Gengo and his girlfriend's voices from GIGAN. The guide will be edited accordingly.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The Shirigami dubber appears to dub several characters, though his lines are always really brief. I have my suspicions he dubs Kenji Sahara's character as well, since it sounds a lot like him in one particular scene, but don't quote me on that.

Regrettably, the Toho logo is missing, as are "The End" titles, so I have no idea if this used Toho's International English logo or not.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Added some info about PRINCESS FROM THE MOON's international dub.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

There is a shot in Godzilla 1985 which I can't seem to find in the Japanese version. This takes place during Godzilla's attack on the Russian freighter:
ImageCould it be another case of the US version being based on a workprint?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That's interesting actually...I could have sworn that shot was in the original version, but I know that you're also very familiar with ROG/G '85, so I will take your word on it. Weird..

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Tamura wrote:toying with the idea of creating a .pdf book of this guide, only far more fleshed out, serving the purpose of showcasing, in a very detailed fashion, the differences found in all known English versions of these films and said versions' various incarnations, to document their production with interviews with surviving dubbers, writers, actors, etc., to document their release history, and at the same time including stuff like complete dubbing cast lists (something really cool I've yet to see), English language posters and other ads, etc. But that would be more for diehards, and the guide in this thread is something meant to be more digestible for everyone.
I'd love to see that, personally.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MaxDefiant
Samurai

Post by MaxDefiant »

Tamura wrote: I'm toying with the idea of creating a .pdf book of this guide, only far more fleshed out, serving the purpose of showcasing, in a very detailed fashion, the differences found in all known English versions of these films and said versions' various incarnations, to document their production with interviews with surviving dubbers, writers, actors, etc., to document their release history, and at the same time including stuff like complete dubbing cast lists (something really cool I've yet to see), English language posters and other ads, etc. But that would be more for diehards, and the guide in this thread is something meant to be more digestible for everyone.
I too would LOVE to see something that shows the differences between the original Japanese releases and the Americanized versions. Would you literally set up 2 TVs and 2 DVD/VHS players and play them side-by-side then pause to document what you see?

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Added the name of GFW's dubbing studio (Red Angel Media).

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've read the informaiton that seems to indicate that the German DVD has the correct original presentation of what was seen in the United States for "Frankenstein Conquers the World". The only problem is well... Its in German (for those that dont speak German that is). I've tried to search to no avail, does anyone know of any video footage, Youtube etc... which has this available to view?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

When will this be stickied?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Tamura, would you cnosider adding the "lost" Toho International Dub of The Three Treasures to your list?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!