Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Comprehensive Guide to Toho's English Versions

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I could have sworn I remember reading about an international version of ''Battle in Outer Space''. I could be wrong, and I don't remember where I read of it. Still, it seems to ring a bell.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE did not receive an international version. It was pre-sold to Columbia so Toho didn't really have any need to make one.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Keith has commented before that the Toho films released by Columbia (THE H-MAN, BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, MOTHRA) never had international versions.

You could actually say there's a "rule" for international versions: if the film was licensed to a US distributor before and including 1962, it most likely doesn't have an international dub. The only exception I can think of is VARAN. That's about the time Toho started making international versions of all their films, including some of the ones pre-sold to US distributors.

By the way, in Stuart Galbraith IV's Monsters Are Attacking Tokyo!, there's a small Toho trade ad that lists English titles of several late 50s movies: THE MYSTERIANS, THE H-MAN, MUHOMATSU - THE RIKISHA-MAN, THE HIDDEN FORTRESS, THE THREE TREASURES, WAR IN SPACE, and THE HUMAN VAPOUR (sic). WAR IN SPACE obviously refers to BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Thanks guys! looks like the source was wrong! I might have been another film altogether, possibly ''Gorath'' which DID indeed have one.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

GORATH also never got an international version, as far as we know, though an English language export trailer (with dubbing by William Ross' Frontier Enterprises) was created.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: jhy Classic Crochet wte

Post by MaxRebo320 »

NVM, post deleted.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings Tamura, CTHimes etc......

In connection with this thread, I was wondering if a list had been compiled of all Toho International English Dubs that have never had an official home media release and those which are presumed to be "lost". It would be nice to have a list of what would be considered true treasures if ever found or released by Toho (if they have them).

Seeing the WOTG International dub online was an eye opening event and made me realize that there really might be more out there than I previously thought.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I'm just going off memory here, but some of the ones that are (as far as anyone we know) not available anywhere are..

-The Last War
-King Kong vs. Godzilla
-King Kong Escapes
-Vampire Doll
-Godzilla 2000:Millennium

-VARAN's international dub is presumed "lost". IIRC, it was supposed to be included on the Media Blasters DVD, but they were told from Toho they had had no longer had any useable elements for it (or something along those lines).

-There are a few dubs that were slightly edited, but overall are minimally different than international versions. This includes UPA's releases of ESPY, LAKE OF DRACULA, and EVIL OF DRACULA, which were all edited slightly for TV. All of them had new credit sequences made by UPA, with the exception of EVIL.

-Some international versions/dubs have only been released on PAL VHS, such as THE RETURN OF GODZILLA, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, and PRINCESS FROM THE MOON.

-DEATHQUAKE, BYE-BYE JUPITER, ATRAGON, DOGORA, SPACE AMOEBA, and MATANGO all have their international dubs available on DVD, but the international credits for them are MIA, except for the U.S. VHS release of DEATHQUAKE.

I hope this helps a bit, and I'm sure Tamura and CT Himes will have more to add.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Brian R Culver
Yojimbo

Post by Brian R Culver »

Goji wrote:I'm just going off memory here, but some of the ones that are (as far as anyone we know) not available anywhere are..

-The Last War
-King Kong vs. Godzilla
-King Kong Escapes
-Vampire Doll
-Godzilla 2000:Millennium

-VARAN's international dub is presumed "lost". IIRC, it was supposed to be included on the Media Blasters DVD, but they were told from Toho they had had no longer had any useable elements for it (or something along those lines).

-There are a few dubs that were slightly edited, but overall are minimally different than international versions. This includes UPA's releases of ESPY, LAKE OF DRACULA, and EVIL OF DRACULA, which were all edited slightly for TV. All of them had new credit sequences made by UPA, with the exception of EVIL.

-Some international versions/dubs have only been released on PAL VHS, such as THE RETURN OF GODZILLA, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, and PRINCESS FROM THE MOON.

-DEATHQUAKE, BYE-BYE JUPITER, ATRAGON, DOGORA, SPACE AMOEBA, and MATANGO all have their international dubs available on DVD, but the international credits for them are MIA, except for the U.S. VHS release of DEATHQUAKE.
There's an English language DVD of DEATHQUAKE? Any details?

August Ragone claims an unreleased dub of INVASION OF THE ASTRO-MONSTERS exists. To prove I’m not crazy, I tracked down the 12 year old alt.movies.monster posts where it was discussed:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.movi ... 873029e6a9

Here are some relevant AR quotes:

“I've seen clips from it -- about 15 years ago in Japan -- and the voice wasn't Nick Adams...”

“This was shown to me at the home of a private collector/fan in Tokyo, sometime in late 1985. It was part of the entire film that was shown to me. I was only shown a couple of scenes, and I don't know more than what I have told you. Sorry. I really wish that I knew more.”

In one of the posts I made a list of International Toho dubs based on what was known then. My how times have changed…

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I remember seeing those posts! Our knowledge and acceptance of the international dubs sure has improved since then.

For a while I had a theory that MONSTER ZERO had an actual international dub, and that the version seen on UK television and tape was an unfinished workprint of the US version that came into Toho's possession. It makes sense because most (if not all) of Toho's international posters feature the same title in the same font on the film's print, while in MZ's case, the Toho print says INVASION OF THE ASTRO-MONSTERS in the US version font as opposed to INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER in the intn'l poster font.

I would love it if there existed a Hong Kong or Frontier-dubbed MONSTER ZERO with the Engrish ASTRO MONSTER title.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Brian R Culver wrote:There's an English language DVD of DEATHQUAKE? Any details?
It's available in the Grindhouse Experience: Volume One as "Megaforce 7.9", which is the international version with a cheap new title card.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

@ Tamura I don't mean to be a burden or anything I know I'm always full of questions and stuff but, I just have two questions I was wanting to ask you.
1. Aren't the widescreen uncut English dubbed transfers of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla that aired on the Sci Fi Channel pretty much the same as, the VHS transferes from the UK?
2. Are the Godzilla Heisei films listed on Crakel uncut?
I know those sound like dumb questions but, I'm always curious and interested when it comes to different versions of Godzilla films.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Godzilla6014 wrote:@ Tamura I don't mean to be a burden or anything I know I'm always full of questions and stuff but, I just have two questions I was wanting to ask you.
It's no problem! :)
1. Aren't the widescreen uncut English dubbed transfers of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Gigan, Megalon and Mechagodzilla that aired on the Sci Fi Channel pretty much the same as, the VHS transferes from the UK?
They are not the same transfers... for one thing, the UK tapes were in PAL and SciFi's masters were in NTSC, so there is a difference in runtime due to different frame rates. The UK tapes are also cropped to 1.85:1, as opposed to SciFi Channel's proper 2.35:1 Tohoscope copies. If I recall correctly, the Toho logos on the UK tapes of HEDORAH, MEGALON and MECHAGODZILLA use the music from GIGAN's Toho logo. The print on the UK MEGALON tape has an alternate version of the opening and ending credits that are white instead of red in color. The SciFi Channel MEGALON has red opening credits and a barely visible white ending title.

One more thing: SciFi's copies are made from newer prints of Toho's international versions that have several small revisions made... each one has "©197X Toho Co., Ltd." during the ending title card, GIGAN's ending title card is much smaller, and GIGAN also has the speech balloons for Godzilla and Angilas from the Japanese version. The UK tapes are original international versions without copyright info during the ending titles or repositioned text and other alterations, and GIGAN doesn't have the speech balloons.
2. Are the Godzilla Heisei films listed on Crakel uncut?
GODZILLA VS KING GHIDORAH and GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA are the fullscreen Tristar versions from the '90s, which have the ending credits removed. GODZILLA VS MOTHRA is a new, widescreen edition with the Toho logo intact, but is otherwise the credits-less Tristar version with the "GODZILLA AND MOTHRA: THE BATTLE FOR EARTH" subtitle in a different font. SPACEGODZILLA is the uncut, international version with textless opening and ending credits (except for the title card) and DESTOROYAH is the uncut intn'l print with all credits and titles intact.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

My DVD-R copy of UK MEGALON tape starts with "In the first part of 1971..." No Toho or Toho Eizo logo.

Here's a brief comparison of the "white" and "red" versions of MEGALON (click the links for pics):

Presumably, both start with the same Toho logo. As I said, my UK tape copy (the white version) doesn't have a Toho or Toho Eizo logo, however, the English credits on the Media Blasters disc (white, again) has a 90s-era Toho logo and the Toho Eizo logo from the "red" version of the film.

White title card (from the Media Blasters disc)

Red title card (from a 2003 Sci-Fi Channel broadcast)

White composer credit (MB)

Red version of the same (Sci-Fi)

Both the Media Blasters credits and Sci-Fi version credits have the same "revised" white title card. (Same thing from the Sci-Fi broadcast)

The original white end title.

I don't have a copy with the red end title card, but it's found on the Taiwanese Power Multimedia DVD. It's identical to the original white end title, except it's red (big surprise).

Cinema Shares used the original opening title design for its US release but created its own version.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Brian R Culver
Yojimbo

Post by Brian R Culver »

I have some info to add from memory which may not be completely right, but remember some things differently.

I could swear that the UK tapes of HEDORAH, and MECHAGODZILLA were more or less in the proper aspect ratio. I also thought the others were more like 1.66-1.75:1 than 1.85:1.

Regarding the others, ASTRO-MONSTER, EBIRAH, SON, DAM, GIGAN, MEGALON and TERROR were all released as double or triple features by Polygram Video in 1992. Six of the films were on tapes containing two movies, and in each case the Toho logo on the second film was deleted. The only missing logo I’m positive about is MEGALON.

All seven films were released individually in 1998 by 4 Front Video using the same transfers IIRC with the missing Toho logos restored. Is it possible the missing logos were replaced with the GIGAN music ones?

Most or all of the same seven films (not sure about GIGAN and MEGALON) aired on UK Channel 4 around the same time as the Polygram VHS releases in what appeared to be the same improperly letterboxed transfers. The one exception I know of is TERROR, which had opening credits in full widescreen.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Not sure where to put this but this last week I had a Godzilla marathon of some old edited dubs and tried my very best to list every single little edit found. Again, didn't know where to post this but I figured I'd just do it here. Last time I made a list over a month ago with just Cinema Shares titles and I asked CTHimes to let me know what I missed. He did a really good job in helping me out (Think you.) Such as apperently there quite a bit of heavy editing in Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster. In which it's been forever since I saw it or any of the films for that matter.

However, I'd like to take back all the things I said before on this message broad on Godzilla vs. Megalon suffering the most. Cosmic indeed suffered worse edits than Megalon (Though Megalon's not to far behind here.) Ofcourse you have to think it's a longer film than Megalon so, that gave them the privilege to cut it down more. I will put my list on here though I will warn you mthis is going to be a massive wall of text here. I'm posting because I just want to double check to make sure everything I have here is correct. If Tamura, CTHimes or Goji one of the three come by here please do check my list and tell me what I got right and what I'm missing here. Thanks.

- Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster Titra dub
1. Toho logo was replaced with the Walter Reade Organizations logo
2. Reads Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (In a little bit of lighter font than the International version on Sony’s DVD release with light yellow text for Godzilla and dark & light green for the Sea Monster and the only international version with the original title card of Ebirah: Horror of the Deep is the UK VHS release of the film which is in white, whereas the Japanese version of the film has it in red.) (Also the MST3K version opens with stock footage from Son of Godzilla.)
3. The opening credits are deleted.
4. The scene where Ebirah destroyed the boat was moved to the beginning of the film with it being in apply that was supposed to be Yata’s boat. Narration is also very briefly added in between the boat being destroyed and his mom prying that he’ll return home.
5. Ryuui’s name is changed to Yamoto (Like the International version.)
6. Dubbing is different than the International version of the film the actor’s lines are even different.
7. The full scene of Ryoto going to the Maritime Safety Office asking where his brother at the office and demanding a boat with them telling he to check out the dance contest. Then, he sees the dancing poster on the wall is gone altogether.
8. Rock music that played during Godzilla’s battle with Ebirah is removed.
9. More rock music that played while Godzilla’s was destroying the jets is also removed.
10. A brief scene showing the Red Bamboo tossing the yellow liquid out of their ship on Ebirah before he killed them is removed.
11. “The End” card also was a little different text wise and appeared as white over a black background with a 1966 copyright while the International version had the end right by Mothra and the crew flying away.

-Son of Godzilla Titra dub
2. The Son of Godzilla title card appears in orange (While in the Japanese and International versions it appears in red.)
3. The brief beginning where the teams of Scientists are in a helicopter and see Godzilla appear is deleted all together.
4. The opening credits are deleted the footage however, shown in the background remains still there.
5. The Dubbing is different than the International version of the film the actor’s lines are even different.
6. The monsters Kamacuras and Kumonga’s names are both different and are instead called Gimantis and Spiega (or Aspiega.) also, the Character Saeko is called Reiko. The name changes are present in both dubs.
7. “The End” card also was a little different text wise and appeared as white over a blue background with a 1967 copyright while the International version had the end right by after the snow storm and then fades.

-Godzilla vs. Megalon Cinema Shares dub
1. Toho logo was replaced the Cinema Shares logo and the Toho Eizo. Logo is also removed (In which the Japanese version it appeared in white text over a blue background but in the International version it appears in red text over a white background.)
2. The Godzilla vs. Megalon title card appears in a lighter red (While in the Japanese and International versions it appears in a much darker and different sized font red however, outside of Godzilla and Megalon’s names in that color while vs. is in blue. However, on the UK VHS of the film it appears in white.)
3. The opening credits are deleted except for a brief light red produced by Toho-Eizo Co. Ltd credit (As, in the international and Japanese versions show them in darker red which can be found on Sci-Fi airings and the Taiwanese live action DVD. UK VHS of International is with white credits though.)
4. Rokuro being abducted by the Seatopian agents as they drag him into their car and having him taken away is removed.
5. The Setopian agents knocking out Rokuro with their gun smock before bringing him inside is also removed.
6. Scenes of the Porno pin-ups on the back wall of the truck are deleted.
7. The last few seconds of the fight between Jinkawa and the lead Setopian as well as him hitting his head on the ground asking him where Goro and Rokuro where.
8. The hippies telling the breaded Setopian agent that they should turn around the truck before he threatens killing them with his gun is removed.
9. The scene where the breaded Setopian is hit with a gun by the hippies and where they open up the door of the truck and thrown him out of it killing him as he falls down a cliff.
10. The lead Setopian’s head bleeding after being hit in the head with the model jet.
11. Rokuro hitting the lead Setopian in the gut with a dice tied to a string and knocking him out.
12. The lead Setopian trying to escape as Megalon knocks over a boulder and it hitting the Lead Setopian in the gut killing him.
13. No “The End” card is shown towards the end while the International dub on the Taiwanese DVD includes a red the end card where as the Sci-Fi Channel and UK VHS have a barely visible white the end title card.

-Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster Cinema Shares dub
1. Toho logo was replaced with the Cinema Shares logo and the Toho Eizo. Logo is also removed (In which both the Japanese and International versions it appears in white text over a blue background.)
2. Reads Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster (In white text over a red background widescreen versions of the title sequence feature the poster art to the right of the title and copyright information appear, but this is not visible in the 16mm prints on Home Video releases and TV airings. Though it was supposed to be originally titled Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster and was the first to run under that title that is until they were threatened to be sued by Universal for it being too similar to their TV series the Million Dollar Man and its spinoff the Bionic Woman. Both the Japanese and International versions of the film had Godzilla and Mechagodzilla ’s names appear five times (He roars several times too and then, the title Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla appeared in white text over a black background though in the Japanese version of the film Godzilla’s names appears in red, vs. in white and the Mechagodzilla in blue. However, early Sci-Fi airing would have the film called Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster but would end up being the international print of the film which was from 1994-2001. Title card is identical to other International version.)
3. The opening credits are deleted.
4. A “damn line” as Keisuke Shimizu is in the cave is removed.
5. The statue being stored away by Keisuke before the Simian alien catches him by picking through the door.
6. Most of the fight over the statue between Keisuke and the one Simian alien that’s after the statue along with some lines and most of the gun shooting and punching Keisukie’s head over the pillow.
7. Azumi Royal family’s daughter being told by her father the “high priest” Tengan mentioning Godzilla and saying that damn Godzilla being muted.
7. The line Damn Godzilla becomes Godzilla is also removed completely and you can’t hear it during Godzilla’s battle against Mechagodzilla.
8. Keisuke answering Saeko’s question on when she ask who? After him saying someone was watching them and him answering “no one” and the Interpol agent watching them at the table on the boat.
9. Keisuke’s second fight with the Simian as, he cuts his hand with the knife and causes it to bleed as, well as when he shot the Simian alien with his gun lines were cut off there too.
10. The lead Simian saying something like god damnit after all the main human characters escape. (Funny how the Ikuko’s scream is in this one but, left out of several international versions except for Sci-Fi, New World Video and Taiwanese DVD.)
11. Interpol agent Nanbara saying I’m gonna go inside. (Where that part and take care of those bastards is cut off.)
12. Nanbara strangling one of the Simian aliens wrapping a string around his neck before killing him.
13. The lead Simian saying You a fool if you think Mechagodzilla can be out outmatched by (and once again the rest of that line by Godzilla.)
14. The final shoot out between Nanbara and the Simians just as shooting their necks causing them spread out in blood before being killed and the humans escaping. (The “move over” line is also surprisingly in here but, absent from most of the international versions except for Sci-Fi, New World Video and Taiwanese DVD.)
15. The short epilogue before the ending where Nami the Azumi royal Family princess puts away the statue and leaves to celebrate with her friends and her Father being happy about it being in safety is Removed completely.
16. “The End” title is shown in very big white text even in a different font (Where as the Japanese and International versions have a much smaller white the end title.)

-Godzilla on Monster Island (Cinema Shares dub)
1. Toho logo was replaced with the Cinema Shares logo and the Toho Eizo. Logo is also removed (In which both the Japanese and International versions it appears in white text over a blue background.)
2. Reads Godzilla on Monster Island (In red text through his atomic breath in the Japanese version his name and Gigan’s appear in red while vs. is in a smaller yellow square box and its text is in black.)
3. The opening credits are in a different white font and start with Toho-Eizo Co. Ltd credit and go from there. The background is a bit different in the control room like going in a few different angles but not too different. (The international and Japanese versions background of the control room doesn’t go on top and go to too many different angles of the control room. The international credits are in different white text while, the Japanese version has the credits still in white but, with a laser beam sequence with the white credits on a red background. The both deal with the names of the cast first.)
4. Gengo calls his girlfriend a hard (The word bitch cannot be heard and was removed.)
5. Godzilla and Anguirus’s first conversation doesn’t feature comic book bubbles. (The comic book bubbles were also removed in most international versions of the film but do appear in the Sci-Fi airings and the Japanese version. Also the Japanese version more likely has a tape like sound for when Godzilla and Anguirus talk.)
6. Godzilla and Anguirus’s second conversation also doesn’t feature comic book bubbles (Again, most international versions don’t include them either but, are present in the Sci-Fi airings and the Japanese version. Also, once again the Japanese version had a tape sound for them talking which both times was replaced with very deep voices in English versions.)
7. Gigan causing Godzilla’s shoulder to bleed after he cut him with his buzzsaw (Which oddly enough the stock footage of it was left alone when they did Godzilla vs. Megalon.)
8. Gigan causing Anguirus’s head to bleed after cutting him with his buzzsaw.
9. Gigan causing Godzilla’s head to bleed after hitting him with his claw.
10. After Godzilla and Anguirus swim away, Godzilla turns around and blast the camera with his atomic breath which was the same scene taken from the beginning of the movie. “The End” appears in white over his breath. (In both the Japanese and International versions after Godzilla and Anguirus swim away “the end” appears in a smaller white title card over a blue background.)

Ghidrah: the Three Headed Monster (Continental Distributing dub)
1. Toho logo with replaced with the Continental logo.
2. Reads Ghidrah: the Three Headed Monster (The only the “o” letter is missing from his name.)
3. Most of Akira Ifukube’s music is replaced with library cues throughout a good deal of the film.
4. Princess Selina Salno Claiming she’s from Mars. (In the Japanese version she says she’s from Venus.)
5. Scene where Shindo gets out of his car and see’s his sister Naoko talking to the Geologist in his car is removed completely.
6. A girl’s voice is heard narrating over the twin fairies singing their song to Mothra is added in.
7. The scene where Shindo gets bored and wants to change the channel then, gets into a fight with Naoko and then their mom getting on to them over it is removed completely as well.
8. When Godzilla first surfaces, out of the water Rodan is shown flying above him (In the Japanese version only Godzilla appears in this scene.)
9. As said above King Ghidorah’s name is changed to Ghidrah (Just like how the title card had it.)
10. Scenes of Godzilla in Tokyo are out of order, the sequence of Godzilla climbing on the docks in Yokohama harbor was changed around. First his is on the docks, then appears to be back at the bay and then back on shore.
11. The Second time the fairies sing Mothra’s song to summon him is cut.
12. The shot of the assassins escaping during Godzilla’s rampage in Yokohama is cut.
13. More scenes out of order, the scene of Princess Salno telling Dr. Tsukamoto, Shindo and Naoko about Ghidorah’s arrival occurs after it comes from the meteorite in the US version
14. Dialog added in Chief Detective Okita saying the twin fairies will know what Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra are saying to each other (In the Japanese version after Shindo telling his sister he didn’t understand monster language they then, nailed down to listen to what the Fairies were saying the three monsters were saying to each other.)
15. More dialog added in which is quite hilarious is the fairies saying “Oh Godzilla what terrible language.” (Also wasn’t in there before or anything like it for that matter.)
16. After Godzilla and Rodan at first refused to help Mothra and Mothra went on his own the fight King Ghidorah. Okita yelling at them to come on and help him is removed.
17. The end title appeared in white text over a blue background with a 1964 copyright but in the Japanese version it ended with a red the end title card over a black background.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I'd go ahead and add RETURNER (2003) to the list. It appears to have gotten an International dub from HK released on DVD by Sony.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Nice work, but there are a couple of mistakes I noticed.
Godzilla6014 wrote:However, I'd like to take back all the things I said before on this message broad on Godzilla vs. Megalon suffering the most. Cosmic indeed suffered worse edits than Megalon (Though Megalon's not to far behind here.)
I don't think Cinema Shares' editing in COSMIC MONSTER is more severe than in MEGALON. Most of the edits in MEGALON affect the story, while most of the edits in COSMIC MONSTER streamline the film. For example, scenes in COSMIC MONSTER are trimmed to delete explicit violence (the gunshot that forces green blood to erupt from the alien leader's neck is removed), while similarly "offensive" scenes in MEGALON are deleted altogether. In COSMIC MONSTER, even though the scenes have been shortened, there's still no doubt that the villains are dead. You can't say the same about Cinema Shares' MEGALON. So while there are still some strange alterations in COSMIC MONSTER, I think on the whole it's more intact than MEGALON.
Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster Titra dub
You'd have to ask someone who saw this on television before the late-'80s. I think this is correct but I've never seen a version with a Walter Reade or Continental logo myself.
2. Reads Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster (In a little bit of lighter font than the International version on Sony’s DVD release with light yellow text for Godzilla and dark & light green for the Sea Monster and the only international version with the original title card of Ebirah: Horror of the Deep is the UK VHS release of the film which is in white, whereas the Japanese version of the film has it in red.) (Also the MST3K version opens with stock footage from Son of Godzilla.)
"Godzilla" looks white to me. It's also "Godzilla versus The Sea Monster" (the only Godzilla film in which vs. is spelled out).
5. Ryuui’s name is changed to Yamoto (Like the International version.)
I think the Titan dubbing script for this and the next two films was based on Toho's international versions. All the changed names in Frontier's Godzilla dubs remain changed in the US versions. Also, it's worth mentioning that neither Ebirah nor the Red Bamboo are mentioned by name in the Titan dub.
8. Rock music that played during Godzilla’s battle with Ebirah is removed.
I know about the deleted music during the jet attack, but I'm not aware of any missing music in the monster battles.
10. A brief scene showing the Red Bamboo tossing the yellow liquid out of their ship on Ebirah before he killed them is removed.
I just checked my copy and nothing seems to be missing, however, a short scene of Infant Islanders building the getaway net was removed.
11. “The End” card also was a little different text wise and appeared as white over a black background with a 1966 copyright while the International version had the end right by Mothra and the crew flying away.
The original end title was done in the same typeface as the main title. Because this film and SON OF GODZILLA lacked proper copyright notices, the old end titles were removed and substituted with new ones in the late '80s.
-Son of Godzilla Titra dub
2. The Son of Godzilla title card appears in orange (While in the Japanese and International versions it appears in red.)
The international title is white. Also, the title in the US version is set against a blue background, not over the shot of Godzilla walking into the camera (as in the Japanese and international versions).
6. The monsters Kamacuras and Kumonga’s names are both different and are instead called Gimantis and Spiega (or Aspiega.) also, the Character Saeko is called Reiko. The name changes are present in both dubs.
Some fans claim that Spiega is "Aspiega" in the US dub but that's simply not the case. Multiple character say "a Spiega" or "the Spiega", but also just "Spiega". This was done to better match the lip movements.
7. “The End” card also was a little different text wise and appeared as white over a blue background with a 1967 copyright while the International version had the end right by after the snow storm and then fades.
See what I said above for GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER. I've never seen a 16mm-sourced version of SON OF GODZILLA, but I believe this one never had an end title, only a "Presented by Walter Reade" card, or something like that.
-Godzilla vs. Megalon Cinema Shares dub
2. The Godzilla vs. Megalon title card appears in a lighter red (While in the Japanese and International versions it appears in a much darker and different sized font red however, outside of Godzilla and Megalon’s names in that color while vs. is in blue. However, on the UK VHS of the film it appears in white.)
I wouldn't trust the color timing on any VHS release of the Cinema Shares MEGALON. What you call "lighter red" might have been much closer to the original shade in the original unfaded prints.
3. The opening credits are deleted except for a brief light red produced by Toho-Eizo Co. Ltd credit (As, in the international and Japanese versions show them in darker red which can be found on Sci-Fi airings and the Taiwanese live action DVD. UK VHS of International is with white credits though.)
The Toho-Eizo Co. credit in the US version was created by Cinema Shares.
4 - 12
All these edits are correct if you're talking about the widely-circulated television version. Brian has explained in this thread and elsewhere that many of these deletions were in the original theatrical prints.
-Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster Cinema Shares dub
However, early Sci-Fi airing would have the film called Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster but would end up being the international print of the film which was from 1994-2001. Title card is identical to other International version.)
This is not the case. Sci-Fi aired the international version with a new, Toho-produced "Godzilla vs. The Cosmic Monster" title card. The linked image is from a 1998 broadcast. I also have a copy of a 1994 broadcast that is missing the copyright notice.

Also, I'm not very familiar with Cinema Shares' version of the movie, but I think most of the changes you described are accurate.
(Funny how the Ikuko’s scream is in this one but, left out of several international versions except for Sci-Fi, New World Video and Taiwanese DVD.)
The scream during the first Godzilla/Mechagodzilla battle is only missing from the TriStar DVD.
-Godzilla on Monster Island (Cinema Shares dub)
3. The background is a bit different in the control room like going in a few different angles but not too different. (The both deal with the names of the cast first.)
The underlying footage of the control room is no different, though it might look that way because it was squeezed to fit the 1.33:1 frame.
Ghidrah: the Three Headed Monster (Continental Distributing dub)
3. Most of Akira Ifukube’s music is replaced with library cues throughout a good deal of the film.
The soundtrack was definitely re-worked, but I wouldn't say that most of Ifukube's score is replaced.
17. The end title appeared in white text over a blue background with a 1964 copyright but in the Japanese version it ended with a red the end title card over a black background.
The original end title was removed and replaced with a new one in the mid-'80s.

Also worth mentioning: Classic Media accidentally repeated a shot of Godzilla coming ashore in Yokohama. In the original US version, a different shot was used. Here's a video clip illustrating another accidental change in the Classic Media recreation.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

I hope it's ok for me to ask one of you guys a favor. Um I've been doing a little project for the fun of it by using pictures of stuff like title cards. So, I was going to ask if someone could show me the title card of the international dub of Invasion of the Astro-Monsters. I couldn't find it on google search so I was just wondering if on of you guys had the UK tape and could do that for me? Thank you. Also, I know it's a little late but thanks for the corrections CTHimes on my list of edits that helps a lot. :D

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

No problem boss. Here ya go.

UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.