Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Kyono_Rei
GPN Volunteer

Re: Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

Post by Kyono_Rei »

Tamura wrote:I think at least some of us can agree that the worst of the Showa effects are nowhere near as bad as the worst Heisei effects.
Heisei films usually had a larger budget. So I wouldn't say that its the Showa effects that are so much better, as the fact that bad Heisei effects are harder to forgive than bad Showa ones.
Sorry for any speling mistakes, typos or the occasional Engrish. Native speakers, please show me mercy ;)

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Goji wrote:
The scene is anything but "poorly done", it just happens to rub YOU the wrong way.
The whole street moves over and everything just sort of falls down. There are many examples of well done city destruction in the Showa series (some in this movie) but this just isn't one of them. They might as well have stood next to a plastic city diorama and kicked it over saying "Blam! Boom! Destruction!". It would've been just as convincing to ME. BTW, italics work better when you're trying to put snooty emphasis on a word. Capitals just seem like yelling.

Didn't SpaceGodzilla have a low budget? I mean, the asteroid battle makes be throw up in my mouth and the last battle just looks like a sound stage.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

I agree that the streetsplosion shot in TOMG is a terrible example of effects. I mean, I love the shot, it sells the literal "upending" of this city, but it totally looks like a fake model. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, and it definitely falls under the heading of Japanese aesthetic. Doesn't have to look "real" just has to look "credible", and for that it works and fits in the film's style. Plus, I think it gets a pass for being the first city destruction that wasn't stock footage in years.

How about Minya's puppet form, right after it hatched? It might not be the most immobile puppet in the series, but my girlfriend had a really bad reaction to it when it first showed up in the film. I think her words were something like, "WTF is that thing?!?", so I dunno if that effect worked as intended...

Do things like that count? FX that, while not necessarily bad on a technical/craft level just completely miss the mark? Like, I dunno, Ghidorah in G vs. Gigan? How he's inexplicably stiff as a board flying at first, then a hyper-active maniac in the air over the city, then back to just kind of standing around, then back to etc. Just belies the nature of the stock footage and the deterioration of the suit all the more.

But I gotta say, the number one effect in all the Godzilla films that drives me up the F'ing wall:

The Godzilla water suits. Maybe the worst is in G vs. Gigan, but it is ALWAYS distracting as all hell to me every time they use a different suit for swimming.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Dunno if this has already been said, but in GtTHM when the final assassin catches the styrafoam rock and falls onto the mat a couple feet below the camera's viewing. That scene is always wortha chuckle
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RedZillaKing wrote:
Goji wrote:
The scene is anything but "poorly done", it just happens to rub YOU the wrong way.
The whole street moves over and everything just sort of falls down. There are many examples of well done city destruction in the Showa series (some in this movie) but this just isn't one of them. They might as well have stood next to a plastic city diorama and kicked it over saying "Blam! Boom! Destruction!". It would've been just as convincing to ME.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration on your part. Sure, it's not better than stuff seen in ATRAGON, or even THE LAST WAR, but it's nearly as shitty looking as your making it out to be.
RedZillaKing wrote:BTW, italics work better when you're trying to put snooty emphasis on a word. Capitals just seem like yelling.
M'kay. Thanks for the "tip"?
RedZillaKing wrote:Didn't SpaceGodzilla have a low budget? I mean, the asteroid battle makes be throw up in my mouth and the last battle just looks like a sound stage.
I don't know about it having a lower budget than the other Heisei films, but compared to TOMG, it had a much, much higher budget (but that much is obvious). With less money, Toho delivered a much better product in 1975.

Not that budget has that much to do with this, but I think we can all agree that TOMG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPACEGODZILLA, in terms of overall quality.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Goji wrote: I think that's a bit of an exaggeration on your part. Sure, it's not better than stuff seen in ATRAGON, or even THE LAST WAR, but it's nearly as shitty looking as your making it out to be..
LOL I'll give you that one.
Goji wrote:
RedZillaKing wrote:BTW, italics work better when you're trying to put snooty emphasis on a word. Capitals just seem like yelling.
M'kay. Thanks for the "tip"?
No problem! :P
Goji wrote:I don't know about it having a lower budget than the other Heisei films, but compared to TOMG, it had a much, much higher budget (but that much is obvious). With less money, Toho delivered a much better product in 1975..
Please don't misunderstand... Terror of MechaGodzilla is one of my favorite Godzilla movies. Ever.
Goji wrote:Not that budget has that much to do with this, but I think we can all agree that TOMG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SPACEGODZILLA, in terms of overall quality.
Yes we can. Though I love the SpaceGodzilla design.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Word. No hard feelings man. We both love TOMG, and can agree that SpaceG is pretty bitchin', regardless of being in a sh*tty movie.

I almost wish this thread was title "Worst SPX in a Toho film" so I could talk sh*t about the REBIRTH OF MOTHRA sequels.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

But the dinosaurs in the third film are state of the art material!
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Now I'm not sure if I can include this because I only remember seeing it in promotional material, but Anguirus's floppy shell in GRA. Fasten that sucker down. Also, Varan's shell had a touch of Anguirusitis, moving about rather freely.

BTW, I've yet to see ROM 2 &3. I take it it's not worth it?

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

It's not an exaggeration to call Rebirth of Mothra II one of the worst kaiju films ever made.

RoM III has a lot more charm and is alot punchier and is notable for having the last "truest" incarnation of King Ghidorah we've had (and a mighty fine one at that).
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Like everyone else has said, the horrible blue screening in KK vs G...especially when they are throwing torches and spears at the octopus...

There's a shot in Godzilla 2000 that I just despise...how to describe it....the camera is pulling back, away from Godzilla, as Godzilla is walking out of the water towards the land?

Titanosaurus biting the empty Godzilla suit and throwing it by the mouth comes to mind....though I haven't watched that film in forever so I may not remember that right...

And its more bad editing than bad SFX, but, its very noticable that in "Megalon" when Megalon is attacking some jets, its Gigan's claw that destroys them...f'n stock footage...
SAVE_US.GDZ

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godz wrote: There's a shot in Godzilla 2000 that I just despise...how to describe it....the camera is pulling back, away from Godzilla, as Godzilla is walking out of the water towards the land?.
I HATE this "effect" as well. It just looks so bad..It actually makes me cringe.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:
Godz wrote: There's a shot in Godzilla 2000 that I just despise...how to describe it....the camera is pulling back, away from Godzilla, as Godzilla is walking out of the water towards the land?.
I HATE this "effect" as well. It just looks so bad..It actually makes me cringe.
I think it's the worst composite shot I've ever seen in a moderately budgeted film.
bleep bloop

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The lighthouse destroyed during Godzilla's landing in Raids Again. Was that shot really necessary?
It just kind of wilts over. I mean, it doesn't even crumble or anything. It looked better as a static background decoration.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

so yeah i'm watching KKvG and the wet Kong suit looks... So...

BAD.

easily one of the worst shots in the whole series

EDIT: actually the kong suit in general would fit under the description :lol:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

1. The Kong puppet from KK vs.G.
2. The scene where Mothra Larva shoots water/web into Rodan's mouth in GTTHM.
3. The darkened stock footage of Destroy All Monsters in Godzilla Vs. Gigan.

Brian4205
Monsterland Worker

Post by Brian4205 »

That shot in Godzilla raids again were he's just standing there while the plane fly's overhead.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I find it annoying how in some of the Showa films(Terror of MechaGodzilla particularly) a monster goes flying from a hit and they move upwards. :freak:

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

Rody wrote:I find it annoying how in some of the Showa films(Terror of MechaGodzilla particularly) a monster goes flying from a hit and they move upwards. :freak:
I realize that there's only so much you can do with a prop and some cables, but yeah, it is kind of an eyesore.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

The robogodzilla thing chasing the homeless dude from 85'
plus Godzilla vs spacegodzilla.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147