Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gussilla95
Yojimbo

Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

Post by Gussilla95 »

NOTE: Doesnt include the 1998 remake!
Mine: The soldiers standing on Kong's body in KKvG, they are cartoons!
Japanese Man 1: RUN! IT'S GODZILLA!
Japanese Man 2: It looks like Godzilla, but due to international copyright laws - it's not.
Man 1: STILL! WE SHOULD RUN LIKE IT IS GODZILLA!
Man 2: Though it isn't.
Man 2 Winks at Camera; both scream and run away]

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: Worst SFX in a Godzilla Film

Post by Julia Bristow »

Much of the blue screening effects in KK vs G. Especially the soliders standing on Kong.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

While I think they're a charming way to break up the action in King Kong vs. Godzilla and Mothra vs. Godzilla, the downright excessive hand-puppetry from Ghidrah take me out of the final battle to an extent. I love the movie to bits, but that's one of the big faults of it.

I don't know why this is in in the Showa section, but I'm just going to add anytime anything flies from the Heisei era, and the downright shameful CG models used for Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

-Brief shots of the Rodan marionettes in the Japanese version of RODAN aren't too great. I can see why they were removed from the Kings Brother's version.

-The blue screen stuff in KKvsG is pretty rough. It's very noticeable.

-The Godzilla puppet in GHIDORAH. I never liked it, and like TVG said, it just takes me out of the action everytime I see it. The Rodan one wasn't nearly as bad. The shots of the Godzilla puppet should have been trimmed, much like they were in KKvG (several shots of that Godzilla puppet, which was even worse, were only seen in the original JP trailer)

-Most of the miniatures seen in the 90's films. When Godzilla's height increased to 100 meters in 91', it was all downhill from there..Also the sparks were very tacky. Always reminded me of Power Rangers.

-The CGI seen in G2K/GxM was just downright awful. Not much better in GxMG, but hardly cringe worthy. They got it right with TOKYO S.O.S, and even GFW has some impressive CG.

There are plenty of things to nitpick about some of the 70's films, but all of those were made with MUCH smaller budgets than any of the mentioned films, so they kind of had an excuse. Besides, listing all of the stuff from GIGAN and MEGALON alone would take too long. :lol: Though I will mention the use of the Musuko Goji suit for the water scenes in GIGAN was horrendous looking. I guess the Daisenso Goji suit had just rotted too much by then, so they didn't have much of a choice.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

because, liek, dere is nothing more bettar than the heisei and shinsei efects. dere newer.

/9-year_old_user

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

A majority of the head shots in Godzilla Raids Again. :freak: Good god did the head puppet of Godzilla look bad. Godzilla didn't look scary in those head shots at all in fact he looked a little bit friendly

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I may be in the minority, but I'd take the Godzilla puppets from GOJIRA and RAIDS AGAIN over the GHIDRAH one any day of the week.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Legion1979 wrote:Since we're talking about all era apparently...

Styrofoam. Asteroids.
THIS

Oh, and let's not forget the miniatures in Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^Or maybe Sony actually puts out great-looking DVDs from well-made transfers, better than anything Toho has or will ever do, and MEGAGUIRUS just happens to have shitty effects. A theory like that never pops into anyone's head because most are so biased against Sony.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:Megaguirus in flight. Not only does it do the impossible, lazy-winged hover of most Toho fliers, it is absolutely inexcusable to have visible wires in a modern film (they glisten in the night-scene like Rumpel-f**king-stiltskin made them).
The wires are (apparently) only visible on Toho's international version, which didn't have the wires removed like the Japanese version did. They are not visible on the R2 disk.
Tamura wrote: A theory like that never pops into anyone's head because most are so biased against Sony.
Yeah, it seems like a lot of fans are just butt hurt about how awful the Heisei disks are, but the Showa disks certainly made up for them, IMOHO. It's a shame the Millennium films were so hit and miss, as far as print quality and the use of dubtitles. I still believe that GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA is one of their better Millennium releases, even if the print is a little grainy.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

The asteroid belt fight scene between Spacegodzilla & Mogeura was an embarssing sight to see. I mean the seriously and that you makes wonder "WTF were the effects team were smoking when they filmed that scene"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Some of the still Godzillas in GRA, or perhaps the space scene in Spacegodzilla. I'm probably missing some.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Goji wrote: The wires are (apparently) only visible on Toho's international version, which didn't have the wires removed like the Japanese version did. They are not visible on the R2 disk.
Interesting if true. Maybe that could be fixed when *whoever* releases the film in the future on BD. A man can dream can't he?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

-The dolls in GIGAN
-The action figures used when Ghidorah and Gigan arrived in GIGAN
-King Ghidorah's lifelessness is GIGAN
-The lame scenery where the fight is staged in MEGALON
-The wires visible on Anguirus in MECHAGODZILLA
-The bad composite shots in TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA
-The bad closeups of Godzilla in RETURN
-Rodan in MECHAGODZILLA II
-The scenery for when Godzilla fights Mechagodzilla for the first time in MECHAGODZILLA II
-The toy tanks in MECHAGODZILLA II
-That entire military scene in GODZILLA 2000
-Orga in GODZILLA 2000
-Some of the miniatures at the climax of GODZILLA 2000
- Most of the cgi in GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA
- Godzilla just being shot by missles from kiryu...and Godzilla doing nothing in GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA
- The scenery for Godzilla and Mechagodzilla's first encounter in GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA
- The final shot of Godzilla roaring in GFW
- King Ceasar in GFW
- One of the shots where Godzilla is throwing Kumonga by it's web in GFW
- The opening shot with the miniature tanks/masers in GFW
- When Ebirah is attacking, one of the rocks falls onto a tank in GFW

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tohosaurus wrote: Interesting if true. Maybe that could be fixed when *whoever* releases the film in the future on BD. A man can dream can't he?
Well, the part about them not being visible on the R2 is in fact true. I own a copy of it, and can vouch for it.

I heard that Toho removed the wires from the Japanese versions of the film in post production, though I'm not sure how reliable the source is. Though it's probably true, considering they don't exist on the R2 disk, and people Americans that saw the film in Japan when it was released have said they weren't present.

Gojira-Fan wrote: -King Ghidorah's lifelessness is GIGAN
How exactly are these SPX errors?

Also, how is the CGI in GxMG worse than what was seen in the previous two films? :eh:

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Goji wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote: -King Ghidorah's lifelessness is GIGAN
How exactly are these SPX errors?

Also, how is the CGI in GxMG worse than what was seen in the previous two films? :eh:
Well, these aren't "errors", but the topic is talking about poor special effects, not errors.

King Ghidorah lacked personality in GIGAN in contrast to his previous appearances, due to his lack of movement. H really seemed less alive.

As for MEGALON, sets are an important part of these movies. The final fight in Megalon takes place in the countryside, and while this has been done before fine, the set just isn't as good as say the countryside sets of Mothra Vs. Godzilla.

For the bad close-ups in Return of Godzilla, I'm talking about how the suit and cybot Godzilla don't match up well.

And Rodan doesn't fly very convincingly in Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

I've already listed this in another thread, but the great battle of the hand-puppets in Godzilla Raids Again completely takes me out of that fight. It's a shame because, aside from those shots, the Osaka fight between Godzilla and Anguirus is fantastically shot.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

• When the tramp in Godzilla 1985 has Godzilla approaching from behind, easily the ugliest shot of the Cybot.
  • Emmy "flying" out of the Mothership in a jetpack, from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah.
  • The space battle in Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla.
  • The part in Godzilla vs. Destroyer where our so-called badass enemy is a Bandai toy!
  • Godzilla's full CGI model in Godzilla 2000.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Goji wrote:I heard that Toho removed the wires from the Japanese versions of the film in post production, though I'm not sure how reliable the source is. Though it's probably true, considering they don't exist on the R2 disk, and people Americans that saw the film in Japan when it was released have said they weren't present.
Toho has digitally removed wires from some of their other films for their R2 transfers, like GODZILLA VS. MECHAGODZILLA '74.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Well, these aren't "errors", but the topic is talking about poor special effects, not errors.

King Ghidorah lacked personality in GIGAN in contrast to his previous appearances, due to his lack of movement. H really seemed less alive.
While I agree with you, I still don't get how this is a "bad" SPX, considering King Ghidorah didn't actually DO anything. Laziness on part of the filmmakers by utilizing 90% stock footage for Ghidorah's action sequences, I think is a more appropriate complaint.
Gojira-Fan wrote: As for MEGALON, sets are an important part of these movies. The final fight in Megalon takes place in the countryside, and while this has been done before fine, the set just isn't as good as say the countryside sets of Mothra Vs. Godzilla.
Right, but so does HEDORAH, MECHAGODZILLA and parts of GIGAN and TOMG, though you didn't mention any of those films. The 70's films had much smaller budgets in comparison to the early 60's films, which explains the lack of detail/miniatures in the landscapes.
Gojira-Fan wrote:For the bad close-ups in Return of Godzilla, I'm talking about how the suit and cybot Godzilla don't match up well.

And Rodan doesn't fly very convincingly in Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II.
Agreed. I didn't know what you meant earlier. You were pretty vague in your original post.