G-FEST

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Re: G-FEST

Post by Cinematic Kaiju »

go to youtube and type in G-Fest, then you'll see how big it is :) those vids on their have me syked!
"The only sensible way to live in this world is WITHOUT rules."
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Drunken Kong
Monsterland Worker

Post by Drunken Kong »

G-Fest XVIII aka 2011 will be held in the Crowne Plaza this year (same place as '09 and previous years).

And as far as size, I've heard the counts are usually ~1,000.

"G-FEST XVIII will be held from July 15th through July 17th, 2011 at the newly renovated Crowne Plaza Chicago O’Hare, 5440 North River Road, Rosemont, IL." - From G-FAN.com
XBL: TripMasterMunky

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Every year I say I'm going to try to scrape together some funds and go, and every year it just doesn't happen. This year looks better than the last few, mainly because:

-Better job
-They picked a date that isn't RIGHT on top of Independence Day and my sister's birthday

I seriously want to hit this thing once, just to see what it's like, and to immerse myself in giant monsterdom for a weekend. We'll see if I can actually pull it off or not. Anybody else stoked for this? With this being Mothra's 50th birthday, I'd like to see her celebrated hardcore at G-Fest.
Haters gonna hate

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

I dont think I'll ever go unless it comes to SEATTLE!!!
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

I would love it if it came to Delaware or atleast Maryland
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Drewzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by Drewzilla »

I don't know if I'll be going for a long while. However, I've thought of talking to my local theatre and seeing if I could arrange a Godzilla like day or something with my DVDs I have.
wataru wrote:DO NOT eat Walmart's Great Value High Fiber Bars - Chocolate. You will fart for HOURS!

I bought a box and couldnt sleep because I kept farting. You doze off and PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! wake up.

Girlgan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Girlgan »

Wow, G-Fest looks like it'd be a pretty cool thing to attend even if it'd just be a one time thing. I might've considered attending this year if my dad and I weren't already trying to attend Comic Con in San Diego.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Fairy Mothra wrote:since this is our first G-Fest, does anyone know when they usually announce the room rates and stuff like that?
It's usually sometime in February or March.

Anyway, as for me, I'm not entirely sure if I'll be able to attend G-Fest this year. My father has been rumoring that we might go on a trip to Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan in the summer.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Argh, Wish there was a Canadian Kaiju convention of some sort.

Everything sucks about everything.

I'll diffidently be going some year, though. Just not this year.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

I would really like to go G-fest this year since I have never attended one before. The timing of the event couldn't be better. My only obstacle is the distance, Although I'am planning a short and cost effective transportation means from Detroit Michigan to Chicago.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

ive always wanted to go to Gfest, but i never could... but me and brit just talked about this like 3 days ago, when we get the $ to go were doing it. she seems excited.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Legion1979 wrote:You'll all go when you grow up. Don't worry. ;)
and what exactly qualifies as grown up in kaiju fans? because if im right... i dont think anyone on this site has reached that age yet.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Even though I'm fairly close to Chicago compared to some people here, I've never been to one. I just don't have the money but I would love to go at least once to see what it's like. I hope to one day not only be able to go but have enough money to buy a bunch of merchandise there as well.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Anybody dressing up or doing anything similarly awesome/crazy?
Haters gonna hate

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

zilla103192 wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:You'll all go when you grow up. Don't worry. ;)
and what exactly qualifies as grown up in kaiju fans? because if im right... i dont think anyone on this site has reached that age yet.
Speak for yourself, dude.

I'll attend when I can afford the ridiculous airfare... assuming G-Fest is still being held when I graduate.
Proud father, husband, and son.

CheetoKamper
G-Force Personnel

Post by CheetoKamper »

Well I'm sure this will get some people nice and pissed off but I live 45 minutes away from the hotel that G-Fest is held at so I could baisicly just walk there if I felt like it. Kinda gives the song Sweet Home Chicago whole new meaning well for me anyways. :huge:
He musta thought it was a gun!
I liked Giant Condor and Gabara before it was cool to just sayin.
Shadow arena record (5-3)

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Me and my buddy are going to be leaving the wednesday of that week from upstate ny and it will roughly be a 13/14 hr drive. Ohh I am so syked. Gonna reserve rooms when the tickets go on sale.
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

Ive been wanting to go back to Universal since I had that dream of being chased around by a couple T-Rex's in Jurassic Park lol I havent been to Universal FL in summer 2007, it was an amazing week.

But, I can say at least i've been there. I haven't been to G-Fest and that is on my "to do list".
-The Joker
Heath Ledger

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Hellspawn28 wrote:It sucks that Maryland gets nothing like G-Fest. I live in the most borning state ever.

Yes, yes we do. MD fucking sucks. Seriously.

I've been to G-fest the past 3 years in a row, and am contemplating weather or not to go again this year. I mostly go to hang out with friends because it's a semi-convenient way for us to get together in one place, and just hang out once a year. However, other than meeting Akira Takarada, I wasn't all too impressed with the last year's convention overall, and spent most of the time interacting with people and not really doing all that much at the con. I even skipped out on the STE and G:U tournaments because there didn't seem to be anyone over the age of 10 playing, which was a far cry from previous years.

Also, I'm really tired of DVD's being projected at the Pickwick. Toho offers plenty of prints of Godzilla films available for bookings. There is NO excuse to charge us $10 to see a DVD projected on movie screen. It's unacceptable. Out of the 5 Godzilla films screened, only GOJIRA was an actual film reel....and then that broke 1/3 of the way through the film, and had to be replaced with the CM DVD. The difference in quality was apparent very quickly, and it was pretty embarrassing with Takarada-san sitting only 2 rows directly behind me. -_-
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Cinematic Kaiju
Interpol Agent

I feel bad for all you Maryland folk about not getting a G-Fest over there, but hey at least you guys get the Monster Mania conventions, i'm going to one in Cherry Hill this August. Although not really Godzilla or Kaiju related, its still a friggin blast to meet celebrities from horror movies and they do have *some* Godzilla merchandise. Last year I left with a couple Godzilla shirts and bandai figures :)
-The Joker
Heath Ledger