Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
User avatar
MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2180
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: albaquarky
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:06 pm

goji89 wrote:I meant....bear with me now, it hurt emotionally from you thinking Gigan and Anguirus are midcard kaiju.

That is so wrong on so many levels.....because MAYBE it could be true.

In terms of recognition by the general public and more casual fans, most definitely. Your average Joe on the street isn't going to know who the likes of Anguirus, Hedorah, Gigan, etc. are, but a more casual fan (i.e Somebody who's seen a small handful of movies or played some video games) might, while still being unaware of the likes of Varan, Ebirah, etc., characters only T R U E F A N S tend to know.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Grievous » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:23 pm

goji89 wrote:This post hurts just from reading it....midcard?

Applying "Wrestling Terminology" to Kaiju kind of works...

*Thinks*

Especially when watching the 70's era...although thankfully
Godzilla has more personality than Roman Reigns & isn't as
annoying as John Cena.

:thumbsup:
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby kamilleblu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.

User avatar
KillCrites
Interpol Agent
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby KillCrites » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:14 am

kamilleblu wrote:Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.

Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is obscure
why did i have to be the chosen one?

User avatar
Living Corpse
Keizer
Posts: 9271
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:16 am

KillCrites wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.

Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is obscure


I mean, they're kind of right. To Godzilla fans it's obvious who he is, but most people don't know anyone outside of the Big 5. Hell a lot of people don't even know the big 5.
Image

User avatar
KillCrites
Interpol Agent
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:01 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby KillCrites » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:19 am

Living Corpse wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.

Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is obscure


I mean, they're kind of right. To Godzilla fans it's obvious who he is, but most people don't know anyone outside of the Big 5. Hell a lot of people don't even know the big 5.

I should've said "Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is too obscure to use in anything"
why did i have to be the chosen one?

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6519
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am

^ And even Rodan seems to be pushing it a little. His last serious appearance was in 1993, after all. Fortunately, times are a-changin' for him...

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5628
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Godzillian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:50 am

JAGzilla wrote:^ And even Rodan seems to be pushing it a little. His last serious appearance was in 1993, after all. Fortunately, times are a-changin' for him...

And yet Rodan still has made a spot for himself in collective pop culture and is recognizable to even people unfamiliar with kaiju unlike Anguirus, the Gargantuas, and pretty much every other Toho kaiju
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10758
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby eabaker » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 am

The original Rodan had a good advertising campaign and a successful run in the U.S. and was visible on TV for quite awhile, and the charatcer was part of both the Aurora model kit series and the Shogun Warriors toy line. The character definitely had a much bigger impact on American pop culture than most other Toho kaiju. I'd say, in terms of recognizability to mainstream American audiences, Toho has a "big 3" Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
_JNavs_
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4159
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby _JNavs_ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:22 am

eabaker wrote:The original Rodan had a good advertising campaign and a successful run in the U.S. and was visible on TV for quite awhile, and the charatcer was part of both the Aurora model kit series and the Shogun Warriors toy line. The character definitely had a much bigger impact on American pop culture than most other Toho kaiju. I'd say, in terms of recognizability to mainstream American audiences, Toho has a "big 3" Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra.

I may not have been around at that point, but I could definitely picture a time where the OG Rodan would be pretty big and successful in the states, just due to the U.S's love for jets and giant flying birds around that time
Image
Sith Apprentice. きの Dragon Tamer. ニューヨーク市.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby mikelcho » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:08 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:The Big Six was completely my idea and my opinion, so I'll gladly take the credit for it.

Sompote owns the rights.
That's pretty funny. Do you mean Big Hero Six, though?

User avatar
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 941
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Celery
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm

I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.
Image


Resized Image


#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5353
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm

MikeSTZillak wrote:I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.

Oh, me too! Tim Burton could also pull together better human characters than Del Toro, along with just as good stuff on the visual side.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
goji89
Keizer
Posts: 9932
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby goji89 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:08 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.

Oh, me too! Tim Burton could also pull together better human characters than Del Toro, along with just as good stuff on the visual side.


Your skreeonking dead to me.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10758
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby eabaker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:09 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.

Oh, me too! Tim Burton could also pull together better human characters than Del Toro, along with just as good stuff on the visual side.


Agreed. Although, ultimately, I think the quality of a Burton kaiju flick would largely come down to the screenwriter.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:02 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Dracosaurian » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:21 am

From what I've seen, I like Legendary's Mothra larva design way more than the previous one.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Grievous » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:11 am

MikeSTZillak wrote:I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.

*Thinks*

I think I'd like to see that...
just to see the artistic style
& overall film design.

:?

Del Toro already gave us a kaiju film...
and its a fantastic one at that.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Living Corpse
Keizer
Posts: 9271
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:34 am

Godzillian wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:^ And even Rodan seems to be pushing it a little. His last serious appearance was in 1993, after all. Fortunately, times are a-changin' for him...

And yet Rodan still has made a spot for himself in collective pop culture and is recognizable to even people unfamiliar with kaiju unlike Anguirus, the Gargantuas, and pretty much every other Toho kaiju


Rodan's just been misused by Toho since the 70's, he's reduced to cameos or being a walking matt, it's a big disservice to the character. Hell there are games where Rodan is not in at all.
Image

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9002
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:08 am

Good thing Dougherty is a Rodan fan then.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5711
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Maritonic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:54 am

Confession: I think Angurius is very overrated in the fandom. He's got his place in the vast mythology, sure, but he's pretty much useless in the big picture from my perspective.
Resized Image

Earn Your Health.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?


Return to “General Toho Films”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests