Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Postby Terasawa » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:07 pm

I see nothing wrong with another translation, especially from someone who knows the original language.

Consider how many subtitle translations there have been for various movies. No *one* translation, from Japanese to English, is likely to be perfect, so the more the merrier. Was the Janus translator working on Mothra vs. Godzilla wasting his/her time when there already existed a Classic Media translation? Not at all.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:14 pm

Terasawa wrote:I see nothing wrong with another translation, especially from someone who knows the original language.

Consider how many subtitle translations there have been for various movies. No *one* translation, from Japanese to English, is likely to be perfect, so the more the merrier. Was the Janus translator working on Mothra vs. Godzilla wasting his/her time when there already existed a Classic Media translation? Not at all.

I agree, but it's time I could have been spent working on something that zero translations exist of online. If you have a book of ten individual manga chapters, and 2 are already finished, but 8 of those 10 are completely unknown, it makes sense I'd want to work on the stuff that translations don't exist for and few people know about.

As I get better and better at translating stuff it's interesting seeing how things got translated and wondering what the mentality behind specific choices are.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:47 pm

That's fair, it's your time after all. If I were you, I'd hang onto what you've already worked on on that project and come back to it later on to finish.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Thu May 07, 2020 11:24 am

I am getting sick and tired of every anti-kaiju aircraft post Heisei era being useless. When Godzilla fought the Super-Xs in the Heisei series they actually gave him hell like they were mini-monster battles. But things like the Griffon and White Hereon just takes pot shots at him and get easily destroyed. I was let down that the Argo jet, as cool as it was, didn't do much especially after being touted as being inspired by the Super-Xs. Really hoping they load that thing up with weapons for GvK or any future Monsterverse movie if there are more and show it fight a monster.

Moonlight-SY3 has proven more useful than some of the latter aircraft.

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Thu May 07, 2020 11:49 am

Living Corpse wrote:I am getting sick and tired of every anti-kaiju aircraft post Heisei era being useless. When Godzilla fought the Super-Xs in the Heisei series they actually gave him hell like they were mini-monster battles. But things like the Griffon and White Hereon just takes pot shots at him and get easily destroyed. I was let down that the Argo jet, as cool as it was, didn't do much especially after being touted as being inspired by the Super-Xs. Really hoping they load that thing up with weapons for GvK or any future Monsterverse movie if there are more and show it fight a monster.

At least the Argo's missiles were powerful enough to annoy Ghidorah.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu May 07, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Thu May 07, 2020 11:51 am

Yeah once.

CrimsonBloodX
Samurai

Postby CrimsonBloodX » Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Having the GMK Baragon not have his heat ray and glowing horn makes him inferior to the Showa Baragon in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I still like GMK Baragon, especially with the whole Guardian of Japan and God of the Earth thing, and I know that is just nitpicking, but that is what I thought of him for a decade now.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Thu May 07, 2020 9:58 pm

CrimsonBloodX wrote:Having the GMK Baragon not have his heat ray and glowing horn makes him inferior to the Showa Baragon in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I still like GMK Baragon, especially with the whole Guardian of Japan and God of the Earth thing, and I know that is just nitpicking, but that is what I thought of him for a decade now.

Nah, that's not nitpicking. Take away his superpowers, and outside of the ears, Baragon has nothing to really make him stand out. Anguirus could have played the same role in GMK and nothing about the movie would change.

Which is not to say I have anything against GMK Baragon, though. His suit looks great, he's overall one of my favorite parts of the movie, and I'm very glad Baragon got a second major appearance after doing nothing since the '60s.

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 pm

CrimsonBloodX wrote:Having the GMK Baragon not have his heat ray and glowing horn makes him inferior to the Showa Baragon in my eyes. Don't get me wrong, I still like GMK Baragon, especially with the whole Guardian of Japan and God of the Earth thing, and I know that is just nitpicking, but that is what I thought of him for a decade now.

One of the many reasons I prefer the GAVB script over GMK. For those who don't know, Baragon would've had fire powers to contrast with Varan's wind and Anguirus' cold.

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 am

I don’t mind the change because it makes Baragon even more of an underdog against Godzilla.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Fri May 08, 2020 8:15 am

Terasawa wrote:I don’t mind the change because it makes Baragon even more of an underdog against Godzilla.

I would have at least liked the horn crackle, since that is just cosmetic.

JAGzilla
Keizer

Postby JAGzilla » Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I would have at least liked the horn crackle, since that is just cosmetic.

It doesn't have to be just cosmetic, though. It could be cool if future incarnations have the ability to charge the horn with energy, which could then be either discharged as some type of ranged weapon, or released to add explosive force when he rams something with his horn.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Fri May 08, 2020 7:52 pm

Living Corpse wrote:I am getting sick and tired of every anti-kaiju aircraft post Heisei era being useless. When Godzilla fought the Super-Xs in the Heisei series they actually gave him hell like they were mini-monster battles. But things like the Griffon and White Hereon just takes pot shots at him and get easily destroyed. I was let down that the Argo jet, as cool as it was, didn't do much especially after being touted as being inspired by the Super-Xs. Really hoping they load that thing up with weapons for GvK or any future Monsterverse movie if there are more and show it fight a monster.

Makes me think of all the instances of fans insisting that kaiju should be invincible.

Heisei Godzilla was a very mortal Godzilla.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun May 10, 2020 7:39 pm

The White Hero and Griffon were never intended to be the focus or major part of the film. They're like that in order to not take the focus away from Dimension Tide and Kiryu. They served as a way to have the characters and protagonists be in an area and close to danger where it would make little sense otherwise (how would we get anyone close to the island where the Dimension Tide is used?/how do we get main characters close to conflict with Godzilla vs. MG?) Those same films have scenes where the military does actually give Godzilla a decent pounding with more standardized weapons than what the Heisei Godzilla gets thrown at him.

And this is a little strange considering the Gotengo and the stuff in Godzilla Final Wars. The millennium series also had a wide variety of new an interesting military weapons such as the Full Metal Missiles, and the drill bombs in GMK.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon May 11, 2020 2:28 am

While the game itself didn't turn out so well, I think Godzilla: Unleashed had an interesting story premise for a post-apocalyptic kaiju story. I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series follow a similar story idea, a single monster causes the world to change drastically. So much so it disturbs other monsters.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:09 am

Living Corpse wrote:While the game itself didn't turn out so well, I think Godzilla: Unleashed had an interesting story premise for a post-apocalyptic kaiju story. I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series follow a similar story idea, a single monster causes the world to change drastically. So much so it disturbs other monsters.

Indeed. Godzilla: Unleashed's premise even managed to make Spacegodzilla an interesting monster! :P
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon May 11, 2020 9:26 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:While the game itself didn't turn out so well, I think Godzilla: Unleashed had an interesting story premise for a post-apocalyptic kaiju story. I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series follow a similar story idea, a single monster causes the world to change drastically. So much so it disturbs other monsters.

Indeed. Godzilla: Unleashed's premise even managed to make Spacegodzilla an interesting monster! :P

I actually like Spacegodzilla, I feel like he and Battra deserve a second chance in better written movies. Anyways, you could honestly write a story on how hard it is to evacuate the cities alone. Tokyo is flooded so things are slowed by having to use ships, London is in the sky so aircraft have to be used, and Seattle half the streets are not an option for running away cause they are flooded with lava. Even New York is a nightmare cause further out, beyond the crater is a maze of crystals bigger and taller than any building. Could even have an episode dealing with a ship trying to traverse the ocean in a forest of crystals while trying to avoid monsters.

Chrispy_G
G-Grasper

Postby Chrispy_G » Mon May 11, 2020 2:16 pm

I feel like Toho seems to handle Godzilla improperly just as much as, if not MORE, than they handle the franchise/character properly.

Some of this is seen in the weird film-to-film decisions they make, sort of trivializing things. Like "Oh, they don't like this King Kong script? Just make the movie anyway and put Godzilla in there instead"....to sort of over-correcting into weird directions when it seems like things don't pan out.

I understand the want and need to honor the original film, but I think Return of Godzilla would have been a really good chance to completely restart the character from scratch. THEN maybe those international sales/distributors they were looking for wouldn't have been so hard to find, selling a remake/restart is, I think easier than trying to sell a "new direct sequel" to a 30 year old movie.

After Biollante gets bested by Back to the Future, their next movie gets loaded with time travel and Terminator-lite robots and concepts, and they just go back to the well of vintage monsters and concepts over and over.

I feel like there should have been SOMETHING in place to make sure that G98 didn't go quite as far afield as it did in terms of the portrayal of the character. However, I also hear that at one point they mandated that if Godzilla were to have another monster to fight, they insisted it be from the Toho library and that the Studio pay to license it out.

Then I think there reaction to G98 could have been something more meaningful and constructive rather than a spitfire of a bunch of generally not that amazing or innovative films. The "another sequel to the original" routine got old fast. Then they give more money and resources for the utterly insane Final Wars instead of a much more legitimate and quality film.

I heard that the directors literally snuck in THEIR cut of Shin Godzilla to the premiere against Toho's wishes. I think Toho, from the beginning, should have come up with a better English export title than "Godzilla Resurgence" and stuck with it.

....and I'm not sure they capitalized strongly enough on the amazing rebirth Shin gave them. In some ways in Japan, perhaps, but not globally. That abomination of an Anime Trilogy being on Netflix is not what their next step should have been.

And then...in recent years I've learned so much about the home market releases, how well(not well) Toho has preserved all of the Godzilla films, how much they limit and stifle international releases from being the very best presentations and having meaningful, worthwhile supplements.

It is like they have no perspective. If your tactics and policies lead to Godzilla being nothing more than a bargain bin bare-bones release in the USA....that creates a perception in the audience as well. Imagine if every Godzilla film in the catalog had a lavish restoration, and loaded collector's edition releases spread across the likes of Criterion, Arrow, Shout, etc all timed with the releases of all of the recent big Godzilla films.

They could have really given a 2nd life to Godzilla in the pop culture, in the home market/internet/YouTuber generation. Instead of 'a handful of G films are dropping on DVD/Blu Ray this year' it could have been a wave of gorgeous collector's edition releases.

What if Toho maybe took a proactive approach in helping make those releases all they could be? Perhaps percentage deals or asset sharing so that fans in Japan and internationally could enjoy releases that are all up to the same high standard and have comparable supplements.

Some of their practices make me think of the ways Disney and before them Lucas himself were sort of mis-managing and playing all kinds of weird games with the Star Wars franchise. George Lucas gave us Star Wars, and proceeded to do oddball things like the Holiday Special, the Special Editions, the prequels. A weird thing where the creator is both a good and bad thing for the franchise.

Toho created Godzilla, and if things didn't unfold how they did....maybe Godzilla wouldn't have continued for nearly 70 years and hold the title of the longest continuously running film franchise.

But when you give all of this stuff a closer consideration, it becomes very easy to want to take a decidedly Anti-Toho stance.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon May 11, 2020 3:27 pm

You could say that about a lot of big studios though. Its largely do to secondary organizations and small time distributors that a lot of Hollywood films are preserved and released to the public on home video.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Postby GigaBowserG » Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm

At this point, I think it's been over a decade since I've watched a majority of the classic/older Godzilla movies... The only ones I recall seeing recently were G1954 and GTTHM, both of which were great. Minus those two, I've also never watched any of them subbed. I only have childhood memories of the dubs, even for the Millennium movies I watched those dubbed when I was a teen. Still not sure when I want to binge them.

I'm both excited and somewhat terrified on how I may view some of them now, particularly the Heisei ones. I loved watching those movies on the Sci-Fi channel, while renting the Showa ones over and over from a local video store at my grandparents' place.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

Return to “General Toho Films”