Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Rampage is dumb, but knows it’s dumb, and is self aware. The Rock and everyone in the film, know that as well, and at the same time there is some genuine emotion with George. It’s not trying to pretend to have some big epic meaning...and you don’t see hours of self masturbatory documentaries and commentators talking about how great monsters and their films are...
Yeah it set out exactly what it tried to accomplish by being a fun turn your brain off monster movie to enjoy. Jason Liles (Ghidorah's middle head) also played George and I can tell he put a lot into it. Motion captured Kaiju just might be the new suitimation. (though I would definitely like to see actual suitimation return for Toho's future movies)
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think Rampage is dumb, but knows it’s dumb, and is self aware. The Rock and everyone in the film, know that as well, and at the same time there is some genuine emotion with George. It’s not trying to pretend to have some big epic meaning...and you don’t see hours of self masturbatory documentaries and commentators talking about how great monsters and their films are...
Yeah it set out exactly what it tried to accomplish by being a fun turn your brain off monster movie to enjoy. Jason Liles (Ghidorah's middle head) also played George and I can tell he put a lot into it. Motion captured Kaiju just might be the new suitimation. (though I would definitely like to see actual suitimation return for Toho's future movies)
I’m still upset that we most likely will never get my dream, which is suits partially made with green parts, where later special effects can be added, like a super hybrid of suitmation and cgi.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
I’m still upset that we most likely will never get my dream, which is suits partially made with green parts, where later special effects can be added, like a super hybrid of suitmation and cgi.
Yeah that'd be real awesome but it sounds way too impractical and hardly worth the trouble of having both a lumbering suit and expensive CGI.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Yeah it set out exactly what it tried to accomplish by being a fun turn your brain off monster movie to enjoy. Jason Liles (Ghidorah's middle head) also played George and I can tell he put a lot into it. Motion captured Kaiju just might be the new suitimation. (though I would definitely like to see actual suitimation return for Toho's future movies)
Yeah that'd be real awesome but it sounds way too impractical and hardly worth the trouble of having both a lumbering suit and expensive CGI.
That's pretty much my ideal, as well, and I don't know that it is all that impractical. It's not unusual to have human actors doing characters in partial make-up but with CG enhancements.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

eabaker wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
That's pretty much my ideal, as well, and I don't know that it is all that impractical. It's not unusual to have human actors doing characters in partial make-up but with CG enhancements.
I suppose, but if you;re gonna go through the trouble of making a cumbersome and complex rubber suit, might as well go full suit instead of having expensive cgi for the same thing too. Outside of stuff like tails or tentacles, I don't see cgi being interwoven into a fully featured monster suit.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

GuardianGhido wrote:
eabaker wrote:
GuardianGhido wrote: Yeah that'd be real awesome but it sounds way too impractical and hardly worth the trouble of having both a lumbering suit and expensive CGI.
I suppose, but if you;re gonna go through the trouble of making a cumbersome and complex rubber suit, might as well go full suit instead of having expensive cgi for the same thing too. Outside of stuff like tails or tentacles, I don't see cgi being interwoven into a fully featured monster suit.
It wouldn't be a fully featured suit, though. It would be a much less complex, detailed and cumbersome suit than what one sees in straight suitmation.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

So you would have a simple suit for the filming, but then place CGI details over the suit post filming?

It could be done, but special effects would more than likely just go with CGI. It would be simpler for them.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

DirektorSplennic
Gotengo Officer

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I kinda wanna see a golden Mechagodzilla, like this Trendmaster's figure:
No real reason. I just think it looks cool.
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.
My Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/e.sculpts/

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

Granted this isn't anything new it's a major cause of why I left. That and the departures/banning of all the people I knew and the changing culture of the site

I've been lurking the past few months semi actively and I feel that divide has grown even larger. The discussion culture has changed and not for the better. Politics, weak discussion, and just I don't know

I don't know if anyone even remembers me especially since this is a new account. But I felt the need to say something

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Living Corpse
Sazer

Post by Living Corpse »

ROMG4 wrote:In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

Granted this isn't anything new it's a major cause of why I left. That and the departures/banning of all the people I knew and the changing culture of the site

I've been lurking the past few months semi actively and I feel that divide has grown even larger. The discussion culture has changed and not for the better. Politics, weak discussion, and just I don't know

I don't know if anyone even remembers me especially since this is a new account. But I felt the need to say something
That and some fans seem to have lost their damn minds.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

ROMG4 wrote:In the past two years since I left the site I feel I've drifted further and further away from the mentality of the mainstream Godzilla fanbase, especially this site

The days of old are sadly gone g2vd along with its members.........sadly I too will slip and.........but that's a forum....some move on. Do miss those days though.

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

goji89 wrote:

The days of old are sadly gone g2vd along with its members.........sadly I too will slip and.........but that's a forum....some move on. Do miss those days though.
Goji! You remember me :D

Yeah I miss the old days all the great threads hilarious fights

Mr x. And his epic neca 85 photoshops, Legion79 and his great rants, soleman being weird, plain, Mkv that crazy mad man, Moguera14 the absolute LEGEND, starbird, and of course. Captain Akion and so many others I could never fit in here without it looking like a massive mess, lol

I miss those times a lot and the members that made them. Great to see your still here

Ah. Now to start plans to drop The Haunted Gigan Suit into the fanfiction section to celebrate Halloween and resurrect Godzillavsjason

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

DirektorSplennic
Gotengo Officer

ROMG4 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

Mr x. And his epic neca 85 photoshops, Legion79 and his great rants, soleman being weird, plain, Mkv that crazy mad man, Moguera14 the absolute LEGEND, starbird, and of course. Captain Akion and so many others I could never fit in here without it looking like a massive mess, lol

I miss those times a lot and the members that made them. Great to see your still here

Ah. Now to start plans to drop The Haunted Gigan Suit into the fanfiction section to celebrate Halloween and resurrect Godzillavsjason
Was this one of them?

#Ghidildo
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Imagine being such a piece of poop you think someone should slowly suffer and die because they're making it harder for you to buy children's dinosaur toys.

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I've totally embraced being a Godzilla-Otaku. My apartment is filled with vinyl figures and other related stuff. I slightly worry that it'll be an issue moving forward and dating people, but I assume it's better then having a big collection of hentai figures or other things. Plus, at least I have a lot of other hobbies like working out, reading and other things. I'm also pretty social and have a good job, so I can counter-act that "loser" stereotype.

I've just realized I really should be dating female Japanese Godzilla fans, and shouldn't settle for less, as unfortunately it's becoming a life style. As superficial and warped as this may sound, I'd take some (by other people's standards) not super attractive girl who likes Godzilla over all the attractive women I've been dating recently. I'd prefer someone that is super plain looking and likes Godzilla (or at least literature or art) over a lot of super attractive tokyo type women I saw on Saturday. To be clear, I'm not trying to be a "nice-guy" or complain about women here, I'm just saying I'm just embracing my life from here on out will be connected to Godzilla. I had a good time talking to this woman in Tokyo about how her favorite monster was Biollante over the weekend briefly, and just in that convo, I realized how it was good being able to relate to someone about that.

I'm not the type to insert Godzilla into every conversation and be annoying about it, but I just feel like a big part of my life is always missing, and now I realized it's just time to face the truth and embrace it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

DirektorSplennic
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've totally embraced being a Godzilla-Otaku. My apartment is filled with vinyl figures and other related stuff. I slightly worry that it'll be an issue moving forward and dating people, but I assume it's better then having a big collection of hentai figures or other things. Plus, at least I have a lot of other hobbies like working out, reading and other things. I'm also pretty social and have a good job, so I can counter-act that "loser" stereotype.

I've just realized I really should be dating female Japanese Godzilla fans, and shouldn't settle for less, as unfortunately it's becoming a life style. As superficial and warped as this may sound, I'd take some (by other people's standards) not super attractive girl who likes Godzilla over all the attractive women I've been dating recently. I'd prefer someone that is super plain looking and likes Godzilla (or at least literature or art) over a lot of super attractive tokyo type women I saw on Saturday. To be clear, I'm not trying to be a "nice-guy" or complain about women here, I'm just saying I'm just embracing my life from here on out will be connected to Godzilla. I had a good time talking to this woman in Tokyo about how her favorite monster was Biollante over the weekend briefly, and just in that convo, I realized how it was good being able to relate to someone about that.

I'm not the type to insert Godzilla into every conversation and be annoying about it, but I just feel like a big part of my life is always missing, and now I realized it's just time to face the truth and embrace it.
This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.

#Ghidildo

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

DirektorSplennic wrote:This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
Congrats! I hope it goes well!

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I've totally embraced being a Godzilla-Otaku. My apartment is filled with vinyl figures and other related stuff. I slightly worry that it'll be an issue moving forward and dating people, but I assume it's better then having a big collection of hentai figures or other things. Plus, at least I have a lot of other hobbies like working out, reading and other things. I'm also pretty social and have a good job, so I can counter-act that "loser" stereotype.

This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
I think it naturally makes people happy to reveal something to someone and get along with someone that is accepting/appreciates something that is super close to them. Good luck with that!

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Not that you need coaching from a Godzilla forum, but if I may, remember to be yourself. Hope you both have a good time!

DirektorSplennic
Gotengo Officer

eabaker wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:This probably means nothing to you, but I'm going on my first ever date Friday (I'm a Junior in Highschool) and she knows about my Godzilla obsession and massive figure collection. She thinks it's cute. I'm a happy camper.
Congrats! I hope it goes well!
Never have I recieved kinder words from you Mr. Baker. Thank you :D

Added in 43 seconds:
Damn ya'll are so nice. Wish we were always like this.

#Ghidildo

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

ROMG4 wrote:
goji89 wrote:

I remember you ROMG4. Yes we've lost a lot of the greats. I don't post as much as I used to. A lot of the fun has gone out of this place
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.