Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Yes, it's a very out-there idea but like Desghidorah said, we've seen every side of the Godzilla-alignment-spectrum except a full-blown hero. Definitely something that the West have more chance of dong, though

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote:I wouldn't be outright opposed to a full hero Godzilla if one comes along, but I think that kind of thing, digging survivors out of the rubble or holding up collapsing bridges... that's best left for kaiju like Gamera or Mothra. Godzilla should always keep a little bit of a hard edge.
Or maybe Godzilla's offspring (whether it be Minya, G Jr, or heck, even Godzooky) could play that savior part.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I wouldn't be outright opposed to a full hero Godzilla if one comes along, but I think that kind of thing, digging survivors out of the rubble or holding up collapsing bridges... that's best left for kaiju like Gamera or Mothra. Godzilla should always keep a little bit of a hard edge.
Or maybe Godzilla's offspring (whether it be Minya, G Jr, or heck, even Godzooky) could play that savior part.
Agreed. Seeing how Minilla first appeared in the movie that kickstarted the change from reluctant hero to protector of humanity that Showa Godzilla underwent in the late 60s, I can definitely see this.

Also, I really wanna know how Godzooky is related to Godzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote:
I wouldn't be outright opposed to a full hero Godzilla if one comes along, but I think that kind of thing, digging survivors out of the rubble or holding up collapsing bridges... that's best left for kaiju like Gamera or Mothra. Godzilla should always keep a little bit of a hard edge.
There's a scene in the HB Godzilla series where he props up a damaged bridge. That kind of thing works for the HB Godzilla, but a film Godzilla wouldn't go out of his way to save people like that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

To those who'd say Godzilla must always have it out for humanity, I do need to bring to light the alternate continuities where he's not the direct result of human arrogance. '55 onwards Godzilla literally shows up out of nowhere (and before anyone says he got mutated/burned too, that was in supplementary material and I'm only looking to films) and has seemingly no bone to pick with humanity at first, only causing damage out of wandering, being drawn to cities, and collateral damage during his fight with Anguirus. Later films until Monster Zero more or less just had him as a grumpy, territorial jerk who'd not give regard to where he rampaged. The vengeful streak towards humanity due to being wronged is not universal, regardless of if the incarnation is a heroic, neutral, or villainous version. So if Godzilla has no particular reason to hate humanity in an incarnation and is a heroic figure in the film, I don't take issue with him consciously saving human life if he can. Nothing Superman levels, but Guardian of the Universe Gamera I think is a good measuring stick.

On a separate note, while I certainly find a hell of a lot more morality and thematic substance to films like the original Godzilla, 1984, Shin, Gamera 3, and the like; more often than not if I want something entertaining to watch as I work or listen too while cooking, I pick something like vs. Sea Monster, Vs. Jiger, Zigra, or Guiron, any of the Heisei Vs. Series, or Godzilla 2000. As a result I've seen them far more times recently than the classics and frankly, I have a ball with them.

Watching with commentary on especially and reading some of the behind the scenes information has really given me an appreciation for the Showa Gamera series. Without the cheesy dub, some of the scenes and implications in them can be downright dark (like a mother sobbing over the idea her child and husband drowned to death at the bottom of the ocean, trapped in a bathysphere).
Last edited by Desghidorah on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Skullcrawlers are a solid design. I think they're more interesting than the majority of everything else the Monsterverse has introduced. The get largely overshadowed by the MUTOs, the KOTM re-designs, and the new KOTM monsters.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Skullcrawlers are a solid design. I think they're more interesting than the majority of everything else the Monsterverse has introduced. The get largely overshadowed by the MUTOs, the KOTM re-designs, and the new KOTM monsters.
Definitely more interesting than dinosaurs, for sure.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Is it a confession to say that I kinda prefer the dinosaurs?

I don't know. To me, making a Kong movie without dinosaurs is like making a Godzilla movie without any building destruction. It just doesn't feel right.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Is it a confession to say that I kinda prefer the dinosaurs?

I don't know. To me, making a Kong movie without dinosaurs is like making a Godzilla movie without any building destruction. It just doesn't feel right.
*Sidelong glance at King Kong 1976*

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:

There's a good reason I was never too fond of that one. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:

*Sidelong glance at the anime trilogy*

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I don't mind King Kong without dinosaurs, likewise Godzilla doesn't have to destroy buildings in every film. These characters weren't made with such restrictions.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I don't mind King Kong without dinosaurs, likewise Godzilla doesn't have to destroy buildings in every film. These characters weren't made with such restrictions.
This is true and Kong: Skull Island proved you can do even Skull Island without proper dinosaurs. But I feel the reason Kong 1976 didn't have any dinosaurs (Dino thought stop-motion looked stupid, chunk of the budget getting blown on the useless robot, etc.) are pretty dumb.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Desghidorah wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I don't mind King Kong without dinosaurs, likewise Godzilla doesn't have to destroy buildings in every film. These characters weren't made with such restrictions.
This is true and Kong: Skull Island proved you can do even Skull Island without proper dinosaurs. But I feel the reason Kong 1976 didn't have any dinosaurs (Dino thought stop-motion looked stupid, chunk of the budget getting blown on the useless robot, etc.) are pretty dumb.
Oh yeah, they def could've implemented dinosaurs or even other giant creatures if they wanted too. It's a shame we only got the snake, as much as I love KK76.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

To be clear, I’m not comparing dinosaurs and King Kong, to skull crawlers. I’m just saying I think they’re some of the best original monsters created in recent years, but seem to go under appreciated. There’s a lot more fanfare and people talking about monsters that appeared for like 20 seconds in KOTM than Skullcrawlers, despite them having a role in Kong Skull island and possibly the upcoming films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Desghidorah wrote:Dino thought stop-motion looked stupid
What was stopping him from using suitmation like they did with Kong? Along with what he said to Meryl Streep and the rapey version of Kong, this is a reason why I think RKO should've chosen The Legend of King Kong.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:

To be clear, I’m not comparing dinosaurs and King Kong, to skull crawlers. I’m just saying I think they’re some of the best original monsters created in recent years, but seem to go under appreciated. There’s a lot more fanfare and people talking about monsters that appeared for like 20 seconds in KOTM than Skullcrawlers, despite them having a role in Kong Skull island and possibly the upcoming films.
Perhaps it's because they only got like 20 seconds of screentime? Enough to get a taste of the designs, but not enough to satisfy whereas we got a bunch of full, well-lit shots of the Skullcrawlers in action. Also maybe being in a Godzilla movie versus a Kong movie boosts the opinion of them somewhat, just by proximity?

Regardless yeah, Skullcrawlers are sick, glad they're returning in GvK. Love that they crafted an entire design that(however inadvertently) referenced the critter in the original '33 Kong.
Last edited by Gomi: Ninja Monster on Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly never saw the Skulcrawlers as interesting. I think their design is nice but they're suppose to be this really disturbing, creepy creatures that might wipe humanity off the Earth if left unchecked, but they don't feel that way.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Really?

I do. And I agree, the Skullcrawlers are fantastic monsters. They and the M.U.T.O.s are way better then any of the Brief Cameo Gang.

Added in 30 seconds:
except Methuselah. He is a good boy and I will not insult him

Added in 7 minutes 40 seconds:
Actually, while I'm abusing the merging post button, I think the reason those guys are so big was the same reason Boba Fett, Dengar, Bossk and the rest of the Empire Strikes Back bounty hunters did.

No one knows shit about them besides their cool looks and a few basic factoids/personality traits and now people are fleshing out their favorites and talking about them to the point its getting irksome.

Wonder if Behemoth is gonna get eaten by a Sarlacc too.....

RIP Evan.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Any creature that continues the Dinosaur Revolution T. rex trend of the "Death's Heads" motif is cool with me. Designwise, Skullcrawlers are the best original monsters in the Monsterverse.

On that note, Kong's original creatures are usually top notch. Skull Island had the Skullcrawlers; Kong 05 had the V-rex; good stuff all around.